Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

A month after City Hall's Tent City participants got moved into Sandtown, still not in homes.

19 posts in this topic

Baltimore Brew also reported that the Tent City participants got drug tested, in violation of an agreement made between the participants and the Pugh administration, one of the Tent City participants was chosen by Mayor Pugh to be a paid director of this shelter, this director was asleep twice when the Baltimore Brew wanted to interview the director: https://baltimorebrew.com/2017/09/23/drug-testing-but-still-no-permanent-housing-for-tent-city-protesters/

When Mayor Catherine Pugh persuaded homeless protesters camped outside City Hall to relocate to a building in Sandtown, she promised they would “get permanent housing as quickly as possible.”

But more than four weeks later, most of the original Tent City 55 are still sleeping on cots in the so-called Pinderhughes Shelter, a dilapidated former elementary school at 1200 Fremont Avenue.

And although Pugh’s agreement with the protesters stated that Pinderhughes would be a “housing first” facility with no drug-testing, all the people living there have been tested for drugs, according to the facility’s director.

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

Don't see the outrage over wanting them not to be drug addicts.

Seems poor life choices is their main problem.  Don't know why that is the problem of the city.

cant wait to see ms pughs plan for helping ppl who are experiencing homelessness.  hopefully it involves rejuvenating some of the empty housing blocks.

edit: actually i just read the comments at the end of the article.  a few are saying that the article isnt true, that ms smith works constantly, and that the mayor has been in contact with ms smith. also that theyre getting everything they need to live.  which is a much better alternative than being on the streets

Edited by yeah

9 hours ago, yeah said:

cant wait to see ms pughs plan for helping ppl who are experiencing homelessness.  hopefully it involves rejuvenating some of the empty housing blocks.

edit: actually I just read the comments at the end of the article.  a few are saying that the article isnt true, that ms smith works constantly, and that the mayor has been in contact with ms smith. also that theyre getting everything they need to live.  which is a much better alternative than being on the streets

Can't wait to see Mayor Pugh's plan for helping people who are homeless.  Hopefully it involves rejuvenating some of the empty housing blocks.

edit: Actually I just read the comments at the end of the article.  A few are saying that the article isn't true and that Ms. Smith works constantly, and that the Mayor has been in contact with ms smith. Also that they're getting everything they need to live, which is a much better alternative than being on the streets.

Little help for future reference.  I am far from perfect but a little punctuation and capitalization makes you post much easier to read and makes it possible that some people might take the content seriously.  Stop communicating as if you are texting your drinking buddy.

Edited by Bawlmerian

3 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

Little help for future reference.  I am far from perfect but a little punctuation and capitalization makes you post much easier to read and makes it possible that some people might take the content seriously.  Stop communicating as if you are texting your drinking buddy.

I don't know about the drinking buddy part. But it does have all the tell tale signs of someone texting.

All that is missing is the 'sent from my ...' :lol: at the end.

Very annoying. Just like people that cut and paste in Tweets and Facebooks with a 'DO YOU BELIEVE THIS....LOOK AT THIS' as the lead in comment  and then you supposed to unravel what the heck they are talking about.

The director of this homeless shelter in Sandtown who is on the city's payroll was sleeping at two separate occasions when the Baltimore Brew attempted to interview the director.

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

This might freak some of you out that I am saying this.but................

Is it possible....this women is so serious about doing her job....that she was up all night....and was exhausted. Maybe she is running her butt off and is up 24/7 to make this work?

The smelling salts are in the cabinet.

14 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

Demopublican gets on him for the same thing!

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Smart guy

On 9/26/2017 at 5:53 AM, yeah said:

edit: actually i just read the comments at the end of the article.  a few are saying that the article isnt true, that ms smith works constantly, and that the mayor has been in contact with ms smith. also that theyre getting everything they need to live.  which is a much better alternative than being on the streets

I am dead serious about what I am going to say.

Hopefully some of you are familiar with the 'Tiny House Movement'. If not read this;

http://thetinylife.com/what-is-the-tiny-house-movement/

In a nutshell, these are cheap quick and easy to build/locate structures that each cost about the equivalent of a years rent for subsidized apartment for a  year.....maybe less.

The city is constantly in 'now what mode' with the space left over after demolition of boarded row houses and such. I would think that with everything cleared out....put in new utilities.....and simply drop these homes there....hook them up. Allow people to move in. Cheap fast efficient and maybe if these clients OWN this gift they may actually say 'gee....I got a fresh start....this is mine and only mine....and start working their way up the financial food chain.

In the Sun there was an article about 6 weeks ago where someone set up growing hydroponic vegetables.....and near by a few minis also exist. Almost like a hippy commune.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-urban-pastoral-20170726-story.html

Many working/living there were formerly homeless....now they have a place to stay....they are learning a REALLY excellent skill (hydroponics).

Further....beside providing vegetables....it is very easy to also raise fish (protein)...in the same hydroponics enviornment.

Imagine something as innovative as the city using all the blighted empty spaces for something like this.

Think of the problems it would solve...hopefully.

1. A place a person can call their own
  2. A place where in demand skills could be learned (hydroponics) which fit in nicely with Medical Marijuana \
  3. No food desert. Fresh vegetables and protein
  4. No vast areas of space after the wrecking ball.
  5. Low dollar investment. If you build an apartment it is about 70000 a unit to build then XXX dollars for someone to rent. It costs about 10000 for a minihome...and no rent.

It would be really cool I think.....thoughts?

Edited by Guido2

12 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

Smart guy

You would know better than anybody.

18 hours ago, Manny said:

Where is Demo ...???

8 hours ago, Guido2 said:

The city is constantly in 'now what mode' with the space left over after demolition of boarded row houses and such. I would think that with everything cleared out....put in new utilities.....and simply drop these homes there....

How about developing luxury condos on these spaces and MAKE BALTIMORE GREAT AGAIN!

2 minutes ago, FJBlacknight said:

How about developing luxury condos on these spaces and MAKE BALTIMORE GREAT AGAIN!

I detect sarcasm. :D

Come on......what do you think of my idea?

5 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Where is Demo ...???

Pay close attention and you'll see ;)

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:56 AM, Bawlmerian said:

That's a pet peeve that you share with demopublican. Do you know demo?  :confused:  LOLZ

7 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

That's a pet peeve that you share with demopublican. Do you know demo?  :confused:  LOLZ

I don't understand why everyone would not bring it up. 

I do remember him. Seems like he was always putting the poster Octoburn in her place 

Edited by Bawlmerian

2 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

I don't understand why everyone would not bring it up. 

;)

OK .... I guess none of the city dwellers have any comment on my idea....a positive idea. That you in the city might push to your reps.

Guess I go back to dissing the city it is easier and it seems you don't care.

Hey ken, Guess it is too much trouble to respond to my PM and positive thoughts I have for the city.

Edited by Guido2