Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

"I don't know where they're going to come from, but we'll have some good starting pitching." - Big Dan Duquette regarding 2018

61 posts in this topic

This should be fun.

Everyone should check out a recent column by Dan Connolly of BaltimoreBaseball.com.

Big Dan still likes the team "overall" but admits the starting pitching (that he mostly assembled: Miley, Ubaldo, Hellickson) was subpar.

He said the organization relied on guys with "track records."

"We're going to upgrade it. We're going to rebuild it."

Let the record show that Big Dan isn't accepting blame or admitting he did a bad job assembling this (so-called) pitching staff. He's simply just throwing bad pitchers under the bus.

Edited by pitbull

13 minutes ago, pitbull said:

This should be fun.

Everyone should check out a recent column by Dan Connolly of BaltimoreBaseball.com.

Big Dan still likes the team "overall" but admits the starting pitching (that he mostly assembled: Miley, Ubaldo, Hellickson) was subpar.

He said the organization relied on guys with "track records."

"We're going to upgrade it. We're going to rebuild it."

Yea..Mediocre to pi$$-poor track records...

This sounds like a primer for DD's annual "Our primary target is a top of the rotation pitcher" statement. I look forward to that announcement, every year. I just know he'll mean it this year. :wub: 

My money is on:

Andrew Cashner
Brett Anderson
Scott Feldman
RA Dickey

We just can't have nice things.

Edited by Thirteen

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

This sounds like a primer for DD's annual "Our primary target is a top of the rotation pitcher" statement. I look forward to that announcement, every year. I just know he'll mean it this year. :wub: 

Charlie Brown...meet Lucy and her football.

;)

LOL!!!

38 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

My money is on:

Andrew Cashner
Brett Anderson
Scott Feldman
RA Dickey

Well, if you'd take better care of your things then maybe you could HAVE nice things!!

:D

11 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Charlie Brown...meet Lucy and her football.

;)

LOL!!!

So true

49 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

My money is on:

Andrew Cashner
Brett Anderson
Scott Feldman
RA Dickey

Sounds about right

Too bad they won't go after Alex Cobb. He's an accomplished AL east pitcher, so you know he can handle the division. He's hitting the markey at the perfect time for his bank account. There aren't many quality SPs available this winter.  

39 minutes ago, weird-O said:

So true

Charles Schultz knew his stuff alright.

31 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Too bad they won't go after Alex Cobb. He's an accomplished AL east pitcher, so you know he can handle the division. He's hitting the markey at the perfect time for his bank account. There aren't many quality SPs available this winter.  

Alex Cobb. Randall Cobb. Corn on the Cobb. JUST GET 'ER DONE DAN!!!

;)

(But seriously. Cobb seems like a smart choice.)

I can't listen to him speak... it angers me.  Always has honestly.  :)

2 hours ago, Thirteen said:

My money is on:

Andrew Cashner
Brett Anderson
Scott Feldman
RA Dickey

Braves will keep Dickey.

Don't be surprised if Big Dan brings back Wei Yin Chen on an incentive-laced deal.

9 hours ago, weird-O said:

Which is going to drive their price up even more. What'll likely happen is someone will wind up overpaying by quite a bit.

Myself, I'd love to see us go after guys like Cobb and Lance Lynn (although I'm a tad leery of NL pitchers making the transition to the American League). If the Orioles are going to keep the core intact for one last push in 2018, maybe the plan is to go all-in for next season. I'm not betting on it, but with 2018 likely Duquette's last season here, it's not beyond the realm of possibility. 

In fairness to Duquette, there will be no major moves in the upcoming months without the go ahead from Petie.  After the Ubaldo disaster, don't expect Angelos to be giving his blessings on any long term contract to a decent FA pitcher.  Not going to happen.  Basically what you have here is DD trying to find diamonds in a pile of crap, rolling the dice and hoping it translates to wins.  This year was a complete disaster because the pitchers who the team counted on from their farm system to take the next step, regressed.  Gausman's outing last night was a microcosm of the entire 2017 season.  So, if you're a realist, 2018 doesn't look too promising for reasons I just stated. 

I don't quite see it as Peter being the primary roadblock these days. In a week we can all review the pitching numbers put up this season by former Orioles arms that Duquette has seen fit to ship out... and in comparison to what he's seen fit to bring in... it's not going to be flattering. I think there's a weakness in organizational analysis and philosophy that, for ALL of his faults over the years, I can't pin on Peter these days.

It's easy to bash Duquette, and he has made some mistakes, but I hold the firm opinion that the problem is ownership. Pete won't spend money on scouts or the people needed to train recruits, so it's difficult to grow the arms, an obstacle course of injuries, setbacks and lost potential. And he won't pay for arms, either. I think we can safely conclude that Buck is mistaken to rely solely on power hitting, despite > half the games being played in hitter friendly parks. You've got to have guys who can just get on base, and occasionally you build a crooked inning that way.

Buck and Dan will return next year, and around this time we will be having this conversation again. And then Buck hits retirement and Dan goes somewhere else, and they collect a draft pick when Manny heads out (and takes Schoop with him). And then the rebuilding will start. But nothing will change until Angelos is out of the picture, however that happens. I don't hold much hope for his kids, because it's likely that he trained them and they will probably share his value system. If the city is lucky, the tax problems will force a sale.

Edited by Evil Yoda

On 9/26/2017 at 6:02 PM, pitbull said:

Don't be surprised if Big Dan brings back Wei Yin Chen on an incentive-laced deal.

Chen has player options for the next two seasons which total $30 million. He isn't leaving Miami anytime soon.

I love this line:

He’s landed some helpful pieces and acquired some duds, but an ace has remained elusive.

59 minutes ago, Rob said:

I love this line:

He’s landed some helpful pieces and acquired some duds, but an ace has remained elusive.

Have they actually tried to land an ace?  Like really tried with a competitive offer.

1 minute ago, ivanbalt said:

Have they actually tried to land an ace?  Like really tried with a competitive offer.

I've never read or heard about a single offer being made to a top of the rotation, FA pitcher. The closest they came was after the 2015 season. DD said the O's were targeting Jordan Zimmerman as their priority #1 FA acquisition. A week or so later, he backed off that statement, and replaced it with, "Starting pitching is our #1 priority". Zimmerman isn't an ace, but he was the most high profile pitcher they have publicly mentioned an interest in.

Man, am I glad they didn't lock in on him. He's been nothing but terrible since coming to the AL. 

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/09/26/duquette-2018-rotation-dont-know-theyre-going-come-well-good-starting-pitching/

First, just about every team in baseball needs a rotation boost, so the competition for available arms is stiff. Based on the reputation of Camden Yards as a hitters’ park, for the Orioles to land a free agent starter of some pedigree, they’ll likely have to overpay. And since ownership has eschewed giving out extended, long-term contracts to free-agent pitchers – which, in fairness, rarely turn out as good investments, industry-wide – it’s highly unlikely the club lands a top-of-the-rotation starter this winter.

Secondly, this year’s free-agent pitching class is average at best (although better than last year’s). The only true “aces” available are Los Angeles Dodgers’ 31-year-old right-hander Yu Darvish and former Oriole Jake Arrieta, now with the Chicago Cubs, and potentially Masahiro Tanaka, if he opts out of his long-term deal with the New York Yankees (and if he truly is an ace).

There are some other intriguing possibilities, but all have warts, whether it’s past injuries (Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn, Jaime Garcia, Andrew Cashner) or age (Jason Vargas, CC Sabathia) or recent ineffectiveness (Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Miguel Gonzalez, Tillman).

Edited by Rob

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

They didn't need to find an ace they already had one in Chris Tillman 😂 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

It continues to boggle the mind that they allowed Ubaldo to essentially tank this team's chances for the last four years.  

They literally just kept putting him out there to get slaughtered only because they owed him money. When I really sit down and let that sink in it becomes more and more frustrating. 

What kind of way is that to run a business??