Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

"I don't know where they're going to come from, but we'll have some good starting pitching." - Big Dan Duquette regarding 2018

61 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

They didn't need to find an ace they already had one in Chris Tillman ūüėā¬†

In all fairness, I don't think anyone saw this year's regression coming.  A 4 point jump in ERA is insane.

2 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

In all fairness, I don't think anyone saw this year's regression coming.  A 4 point jump in ERA is insane.

"Pitch like an Oriole".

:D

2 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

They literally just kept putting him out there to get slaughtered only because they owed him money.

I don't know why they did it. I read an article that said Duquette had permission from Angelos to release him, but Buck somehow vetoed that. There are a lot of articles that paint a lot of different pictures of the front office, few of them complimentary and many of them contradictory. Other articles assert that Buck, and then Brady Anderson, and only then Dan Duquette, are the key decision makers. That might account for the fact that Duquette appears to be better at pitchers other places than he has been here. I'm fairly sure working for Angelos isn't easy and I feel kinda sorry for those who do.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:22 PM, Evil Yoda said:

I don't know why they did it. I read an article that said Duquette had permission from Angelos to release him, but Buck somehow vetoed that. There are a lot of articles that paint a lot of different pictures of the front office, few of them complimentary and many of them contradictory. Other articles assert that Buck, and then Brady Anderson, and only then Dan Duquette, are the key decision makers. That might account for the fact that Duquette appears to be better at pitchers other places than he has been here. I'm fairly sure working for Angelos isn't easy and I feel kinda sorry for those who do.

You've summarized my opinion of the structure of the FO. And I'm 100% sure that DD will prove that he can build another WS contending team, when he goes to his next job, and is given the authority to actually be the GM. 

Posted (edited)

So here it be...

Bridwell, Davies, Arrieta, Rodriguez, and Miranda combined to post the following:

55-36 (19 above .500), 4.08 ERA, 1.28 WHIP... combined WAR of 9.8

Miranda was the worst of the bunch, the HR kills him but his H/IP and WHIP are good... problem is a high percentage of his hits allowed land on the other side of the fence.  That's not a good problem of course, and he won't last much longer if he doesn't improve on it.

Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman...

15-33 (18 below .500), 6.57 ERA, 1.72 WHIP... combined WAR of -3.8

Miguel Gonzalez, who I forgot to include in the 1st group, went 8-13 with a 4.62 and a 1.42 WHIP, not good... but posted 15 "Quality Starts" along the way.  Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman COMBINED to log 17 QS.  Really think about that one... Gonzo had a down year, and still virtually matched the total number of quality starts by Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman on his own.

Wellington Castillo's staff ERA also wound up at 5.60... that's the highest "catcher's ERA" (by far) by anybody that's caught more than 15 games for the Orioles since Craig Tatum posted a 5.93 (in just 30 games) in 2011.  But Wellington sat behind the plate 88 times this year, which I consider a lot more than 30.  :)

Edited by Ravens2006

48 minutes ago, weird-O said:

You've summarized my opinion of the structure of the FO. And I'm 100% sure that DD will prove that he can build another WS contending team, when he goes to his next job, and is given the authority to actually be the GM. 

I agree. See you in 2018.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:18 PM, weird-O said:

Too bad they won't go after Alex Cobb. He's an accomplished AL east pitcher, so you know he can handle the division. He's hitting the markey at the perfect time for his bank account. There aren't many quality SPs available this winter.  

Cobb is my hope as well instead we will sign some guy named corn o cobb

On 9/26/2017 at 4:51 PM, OriginalColtsFan said:

Alex Cobb. Randall Cobb. Corn on the Cobb. JUST GET 'ER DONE DAN!!!

;)

(But seriously. Cobb seems like a smart choice.)

Ahem.....

1 minute ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Damn it 

I'll let you slide on that one. (At first I thought you were quoting me. I guess you hadn't read the whole thread.)

;)

13 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I'll let you slide on that one. (At first I thought you were quoting me. I guess you hadn't read the whole thread.)

;)

Im slacking 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Im slacking 

Well...it's understandable, what with trying to stay ahead of this train wreck, and the Ravens' train wreck, and the possible impending Dallas train wreck....

;)

(I'll say this: with ALL that talent on offense, I'm amazed Dallas hasn't been putting up 50 points a game. It boggles my mind. They have (or are supposed to have) a great O-line, a talented, energetic QB, one of the best RBs in the league, some of the best receivers/TEs in the league...and yet they look anemic a lot of the time. I just don't get it.)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

3 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Well...it's understandable, what with trying to stay ahead of this train wreck, and the Ravens' train wreck, and the possible impending Dallas train wreck....

;)

(I'll say this: with ALL that talent on offense, I'm amazed Dallas hasn't been putting up 50 points a game. It boggles my mind. They have (or are supposed to have) a great O-line, a talented, energetic QB, one of the best RBs in the league, some of the best receivers/TEs in the league...and yet they look anemic a lot of the time. I just don't get it.)

Oline isn‚Äôt the same without Leary and Free ūüėĒ

13 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Oline isn‚Äôt the same without Leary and Free ūüėĒ

How come they didn't try to re-sign them?

9 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

How come they didn't try to re-sign them?

Free retired 

Leary they felt Collins was better 

he is struggling at tackle 

Just now, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Free retired 

Leary they felt Collins was better 

he is struggling at tackle 

Oh, okay. Thanks. (Sure shows how important an O-line is, doesn't it?)

4 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Oh, okay. Thanks. (Sure shows how important an O-line is, doesn't it?)

Exactly 

4 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Cobb is my hope as well instead we will sign some guy named corn o cobb

I have Cobb on my wish list as well. I'm thinking though, if the Orioles sign anyone, Cobb might be out of their price range. I think some intriguing pitchers that may or may not be in their price range would be Jhoulys Chacin, Andrew Cashner and CC Sabathia. Jason Vargas is also a possibility, but may also be too pricey for the Orioles. I also would not mind if they would go after someone Like Lorenzo Cain to cover the OF.

10 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

So here it be...

Bridwell, Davies, Arrieta, Rodriguez, and Miranda combined to post the following:

55-36 (19 above .500), 4.08 ERA, 1.28 WHIP... combined WAR of 9.8

Miranda was the worst of the bunch, the HR kills him but his H/IP and WHIP are good... problem is a high percentage of his hits allowed land on the other side of the fence.  That's not a good problem of course, and he won't last much longer if he doesn't improve on it.

Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman...

15-33 (18 below .500), 6.57 ERA, 1.72 WHIP... combined WAR of -3.8

Miguel Gonzalez, who I forgot to include in the 1st group, went 8-13 with a 4.62 and a 1.42 WHIP, not good... but posted 15 "Quality Starts" along the way.  Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman COMBINED to log 17 QS.  Really think about that one... Gonzo had a down year, and still virtually matched the total number of quality starts by Jimenez, Miley, and Tillman on his own.

Wellington Castillo's staff ERA also wound up at 5.60... that's the highest "catcher's ERA" (by far) by anybody that's caught more than 15 games for the Orioles since Craig Tatum posted a 5.93 (in just 30 games) in 2011.  But Wellington sat behind the plate 88 times this year, which I consider a lot more than 30. 

Nice job with this informational analysis.

16 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I have Cobb on my wish list as well. I'm thinking though, if the Orioles sign anyone, Cobb might be out of their price range. I think some intriguing pitchers that may or may not be in their price range would be Jhoulys Chacin, Andrew Cashner and CC Sabathia. Jason Vargas is also a possibility, but may also be too pricey for the Orioles. I also would not mind if they would go after someone Like Lorenzo Cain to cover the OF.

I'm not sure that Cain would do as well at the Yard. Kauffman stadium is so big, balls find the gaps because of all the real estate. The Yard could have a terrible impact on his offense. Plus, the O's are pretty well set with OFers. 

On 10/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, ncbirdfan said:

Sabathia looked done most of the year. I certainly hope they do not sign him.

18 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Agreed.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

i mentioned his name mainly because his price tag should not be too high. He's not the same as he was when he was younger but he was 14-5  this season with a 3.69 ERA; his whip was 1.27 and his walk/strikeout numbers were respectable (only slightly under his career numbers). And he's left-handed. Cobb definitely would be my first choice.

Edited by ncbirdfan

14 hours ago, weird-O said:

I'm not sure that Cain would do as well at the Yard. Kauffman stadium is so big, balls find the gaps because of all the real estate. The Yard could have a terrible impact on his offense. Plus, the O's are pretty well set with OFers. 

Cobb's also very injury-prone, having never made more than 27 starts or pitched more than 170 innings in any single season. He figures to command a handsome contract, given the thin market for starters this winter, but the buyer is also going to be crossing their fingers given his medical history.

I think his health issues may have been the reason he stayed with the Rays even though he was in a walk year. Very seldom do the Rays fail to move a player of value, particularly if he's reaching a point where they deem to be unsignable. 

12 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

i mentioned his name mainly because his price tag should not be too high. He's not the same as he was when he was younger but he was 14-5  this season with a 3.69 ERA; his whip was 1.27 and his walk/strikeout numbers were respectable (only slightly under his career numbers). And he's left-handed. Cobb definitely would be my first choice.

Those actually aren't terrible numbers compared to what the Orioles have. But they're borderline, and he'll be a year older. Unless he 'roids up, he's not likely to be better than those values. Plus, maybe I hold a little grudge over him costing the Orioles Markakis' services for a couple of months (he broke Markakis' hamate bone with a pitch; the bone had to come out and Markakis spent several months on the DL).