Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

My thoughts on “Taking A Knee”

63 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

JMO, you can't judge the real world by what you see on Nationals. None of the republicans and democrats I know in real life sound like those nuts. 

Lol geesh it’s bad 

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

JMO, you can't judge the real world by what you see on Nationals. None of the republicans and democrats I know in real life sound like those nuts. 

My thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol geesh it’s bad 

You need to get out more.

;)

3 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol geesh it’s bad 

As Ken said, don't use Nationals (or any other social media, for that matter) as a bellwether for the state of the country.

For me, this latest NFL protest over their right to protest is a stupid argument between politics and entertainment. I read a column the other day comparing this to Eisenhower's military industrial complex. In other words, just as those who have a vested interest in war will continually lead us into needless conflicts, so too will those in the political-cultural wing, if you will, who continuously attempt to lead us into idiotic cultural wars.

Thing is, these so-called wars benefit only the politicians and the cultural figures. They don't benefit me, they don't benefit you, they don't benefit 99 percent of the country. Now it's spilled over to sports. On the one hand, if you love the anthem and the flag, you have to love something like NASCAR, and if you hate Trump, you have to choose the NBA and the NFL. This is how ridiculous it's gotten. On the one side, the entertainers/athletes benefit because now they have a forum for their political opinions and they can feel special. On the other side, Trump benefits because he can make political hay over the whole thing. The rest of us, well, we just really don't matter that much, do we?

What you essentially have is pop culture reacting to politics and politics reacting to the pop culture. And they just continually feed off of each other. The more conflict, the better.

As Spencer Tracy once noted, "Actors should stay out of politics. Look who killed Lincoln."

Edited by mdrunning

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

As Ken said, don't use Nationals (or any other social media, for that matter) as a bellwether for the state of the country.

For me, this latest NFL protest over their right to protest is a stupid argument between politics and entertainment. I read a column the other day comparing this to Eisenhower's military industrial complex. In other words, just as those who have a vested interest in war will continually lead us into needless conflicts, so too will those in the political-cultural wing, if you will, who continuously attempt to lead us into idiotic cultural wars.

Thing is, these so-called wars benefit only the politicians and the cultural figures. They don't benefit me, they don't benefit you, they don't benefit 99 percent of the country. Now it's spilled over to sports. On the one hand, if you love the anthem and the flag, you have to love something like NASCAR, and if you hate Trump, you have to choose the NBA and the NFL. This is how ridiculous it's gotten. On the one side, the entertainers/athletes benefit because now they have a forum for their political opinions and they can feel special. On the other side, Trump benefits because he can make political hay over the whole thing. The rest of us, well, we just really don't matter that much, do we?

What you essentially have is pop culture reacting to politics and politics reacting to the pop culture. And they just continually feed off of each other. The more conflict, the better.

As Spencer Tracy once noted, "Actors should stay out of politics. Look who killed Lincoln."

Very well said 

7 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Probably the most rational intelligent post I've read during this whole mess.

21 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Taking a knee imo was/is never meant to disrespect but it’s a way to say hey I hope it’ll be ok

I see kneeling/sitting during the anthem as an expression of anger against the United States.

Kaepernick: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Is it just me, or is there some glaring irony/hypocrisy going on here? When CK took his stand, he was, for the most part, isolated, along with a handful of other players. And whether it's his diminishing skills, or his protest, or some combination of the two, he was cast out and currently has no job. But then, after the President shot off his mouth, suddenly every NFL team united to "take a stand" (or a knee, as the case my be). If that isn't hypocrisy, then I don't know what is.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

Then there's this: (No link, sorry. Just something I saw on "The Internet". LOL)

"The NFL rulebook makes no mention of the national anthem. But the game operations manual does.

Here's what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.
"

46 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Is it just me, or is there some glaring irony/hypocrisy going on here? When CK took his stand, he was, for the most part, isolated, along with a handful of other players. And whether it's his diminishing skills, or his protest, or some combination of the two, he was cast out and currently has no job. But then, after the President shot off his mouth, suddenly every NFL team united to "take a stand" (or a knee, as the case my be). If that isn't hypocrisy, then I don't know what is.

More about a reaction to Trump at this point, IMO, than what CK  was originally protesting, or at least it seems that way. Have to see what happens going foward, especially if viewership drops in the long run.  Who knows, if Flacco doesn't look good, maybe the Raven's will pick up CK.  Now THAT would be very interesting. 

13 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

More about a reaction to Trump at this point, IMO, than what CK  was originally protesting, or at least it seems that way. Have to see what happens going foward, especially if viewership drops in the long run.  Who knows, if Flacco doesn't look good, maybe the Raven's will pick up CK.  Now THAT would be very interesting. 

Ravens signing Calvin Klein would be interesting ☺

14 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Hey! I'm exactly like this in real life. :)

37 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Ravens signing Calvin Klein would be interesting ☺

:lol:

10 minutes ago, Rael said:

Hey! I'm exactly like this in real life. :)

Yeah but you sound normal most of the time. 😁

Just now, bmore_ken said:

Yeah but you sound normal most of the time. 😁

Damn, gotta work on that.

21 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

I wish Baltimore fans who complain about kneeling would stop being disrespectful in yelling "O" while the song is being played. #hypocrite 

Good point. If you're for one (Shouting "O"), how can you be against the other?

28 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Good point. If you're for one (Shouting "O"), how can you be against the other?

To my knowledge, none of the players shout "O" during the anthem. And I haven't heard about fans protesting the anthem in the stands... or in front of their TVs.

14 minutes ago, regularguy said:

To my knowledge, none of the players shout "O" during the anthem. And I haven't heard about fans protesting the anthem in the stands... or in front of their TVs.

I could be wrong, but I think the point being made is whether it's respectful or disrespectful.

13 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I could be wrong, but I think the point being made is whether it's respectful or disrespectful.

You need to look to the intent.

Fans shouting "O" are being goofs, with zero intent to send a message about the flag or the country. Disrespectful? Yeah; a bit. But with no political-protest motive.

Kaepernick said: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."  He was doing it to express disdain for his country.

This will blow over soon. It will quiet down, and then Trump will shoot off his mouth again to get his minions all riled up and hating. Racial divisiveness is his best trick, and he works it hard, but I don't think the NFL is going to be an easy target for him. What are these self-righteous sports fans going to do with their Sunday afternoons, go visit veterans hospitals?

Meanwhile, let us know when some teams fire some good offensive linemen. The Ravens would be interested.

52 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Fans shouting "O" are being goofs, with zero intent to send a message about the flag or the country. Disrespectful? Yeah; a bit. But with no political-protest motive.

Kaepernick said: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."  He was doing it to express disdain for his country.

I agree. The "O" is a local thing, not meant to be a protest OR show any disrespect. The point is, however, that one person's perception of what's disrespectful can and does vary from another person's. That's what makes the whole business of PC so complicated. Constantly trying to not offend anyone ends up one big mess.

Like I took no offense to the protests on Sunday; I just thought it was weird (granted, it was early Sunday morning) when I turned on the TV and saw some Ravens players, along with Ray Lewis, kneeling. Then every game it more or less reoccurred. I didn't take offense when CK did it by himself either. I didn't take it as an offense to the flag or the country -- I took it the way it was meant -- that this country has serious unaddressed problems and CK used his celebrity status to bring those problems to the forefront. It made perfect sense to me. And it's supposed to be what makes this country stronger. It's not "Anti-American". It's 100% American. It's in totalitarian countries that you can't speak out against something that's patently wrong. But again...that's just me. Everyone else's mileage can and will vary.

45 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Good point, intent is a factor. 

1 hour ago, regularguy said:

IMO "O" is disrespectful. 

2 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Like I took no offense to the protests on Sunday; I just thought it was weird (granted, it was early Sunday morning) when I turned on the TV and saw some Ravens players, along with Ray Lewis, kneeling. Then every game it more or less reoccurred. I didn't take offense when CK did it by himself either. I didn't take it as an offense to the flag or the country -- I took it the way it was meant -- that this country has serious unaddressed problems and CK used his celebrity status to bring those problems to the forefront. It made perfect sense to me. And it's supposed to be what makes this country stronger. It's not "Anti-American". It's 100% American. It's in totalitarian countries that you can't speak out against something that's patently wrong. But again...that's just me. Everyone else's mileage can and will vary.

+1

10 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Very well said 

You know are the one who used the Nationals board as a barometer for people hurting don't you?  Nice flip flop Munson.  

Edited by RileyMartin