Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bawlmerian

Service Dog Vs Passenger Rights on Plane

122 posts in this topic

https://patch.com/new-jersey/lacey/s/g8o64/police-drag-woman-off-southwest-flight-at-bwi-airport

Interesting that the woman claiming allergies is kicked off and the dogs remain.

HANOVER, MD — Southwest Airlines has apologized after police dragged a woman off a flight in Baltimore that was headed to Los Angeles. The passenger told the flight crew that she had a life-threatening allergy to dogs, and two dogs were on the plane, but she had no documentation to prove the condition and was asked to leave the plane.

At that point the unidentified woman refused, the airline says, and state police came on board to forcibly remove her. The ouster is the latest after a series of incidents caught on video this year that show U.S. airline employees involved in confrontations with passengers, from footage on a Delta Airlines flight that showed a family being booted from an overbooked Delta flight to the infamous video of a doctor who was bloodied on a United Airlines flight after he refused to give up his seat, again because of overbooking.

(Get Patch’s daily newsletter and real-time news alerts, or like us on Facebook. Or, if you have an iPhone, download the free Patch app.)

Reports say there were two dogs on the flight, one pet and one service animal. A video shot by a passenger shows the woman struggling with officers and repeatedly asking, "What are you doing?" When she says they're ripping her pants off, the Maryland Transportation Authority Police officer let go of her but demanded that she walk off. She says she will, but they again grab her and push her up the aisle, with some passengers urging her to leave for her own safety and others telling the police to let her walk on her own.

Why would the rights of the dog and owner come before the other passenger?  Should my wife and I have each other registered as service animals so that we have the same rights as dogs?

"  There was one emotional support animal and one pet onboard the aircraft"

Pu-leeze.  Emotional support my butt

The service dog needs to stay. Whether it's for a blind person, or Wounded Warrior or whatever, a true service dog and it's owner has rights. 

However, "emotional support" animals are bs. I saw a woman in the Weis store with a yorkie in the child seat of her grocery cart. She said the dog saved her life. Uh huh. If you can't go to the food store without your pet, then get someone else to do your shopping or order online. 

The woman on the plane didn't have any medical documentation proving she couldn't fly with dogs. She didn't have a leg to stand on. But, she should have just left rather than make a scene and end up being removed forcibly.   

14 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

The service dog needs to stay. Whether it's for a blind person, or Wounded Warrior or whatever, a true service dog and it's owner has rights. 

However, "emotional support" animals are bs. I saw a woman in the Weis store with a yorkie in the child seat of her grocery cart. She said the dog saved her life. Uh huh. If you can't go to the food store without your pet, then get someone else to do your shopping or order online. 

The woman on the plane didn't have any medical documentation proving she couldn't fly with dogs. She didn't have a leg to stand on. But, she should have just left rather than make a scene and end up being removed forcibly.   

I am guess the drama of getting dragged off was not necessary.  And yes there are a small number of people that need service animals.  But there is a hug population of people taking advantage

2 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

I am guess the drama of getting dragged off was not necessary.  And yes there are a small number of people that need service animals.  But there is a hug population of people taking advantage

I know that's a typo in your last line, but it fits. Too many people are bringing animals onboard to hug. I read an article that said people are bringing goats and pigs and, in one case a chicken, for emotional support. Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

The thing is, if my understanding is correct, due to the ADA, you're not allowed to ask for documentation showing the validity of a "service animal".  They just have to take your word for it.  But this woman gets bumped because she can't prove she has an allergy.  Ridiculous.

57 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/lacey/s/g8o64/police-drag-woman-off-southwest-flight-at-bwi-airport

Interesting that the woman claiming allergies is kicked off and the dogs remain.

Why would the rights of the dog and owner come before the other passenger?  Should my wife and I have each other registered as service animals so that we have the same rights as dogs?

Your second sentence is idiotic .... and I am being polite.

To be candid..... I would kick most passengers off the plane before any dog. Including screaming kids  that kick the back of your seat. I have a back condition....it hurts me....throw the kid off the plane. Yeah that will fly....pun intended.

Really...you poor pooor women? You have ahhhhhhhhh allergies? You expect the entire world to revolve around YOU! One person. Further you didn't have the fore-thought to bring docs.....your meds.....to even think about flying on public transportation in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

The thing is, if my understanding is correct, due to the ADA, you're not allowed to ask for documentation showing the validity of a "service animal".  They just have to take your word for it.  But this woman gets bumped because she can't prove she has an allergy.  Ridiculous.

Admittedly this 'service animal' thing has been abused. In fact I have heard that if you send x dollars an a picture of Spot ...you can be certified.

But in this case .... do we know for a fact they were service dogs? Or not? Further....to enlighten all you none avaiation people....the air you breath is the same air that gets run through the cargo area of the plane that....you guessed it....is where they put dogs that are in cages for transportation. FURther (pun intended)....that air is not completely cycled out of the plane. SOOOOOOOoooooo all those nasty doggie hairs and stuff are still in the system.

Sorry ...all this women was looking for is 15 minutes and a gagillion flying miles.

Such HS.

38 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I know that's a typo in your last line, but it fits. Too many people are bringing animals onboard to hug. I read an article that said people are bringing goats and pigs and, in one case a chicken, for emotional support. Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

Oh yes that is all true....and it is ridiculous. Pretty sad when you gotta bring a pet to comfort you on the plane.

So f'n scared that you need a hug......take the train. Or drive. Or better yet ....stay home in your cocoon and develop your Skype skills to communicate.

Edited by Guido2

Saw this on the news the other night where the dog is certified for a veteran with PTSD.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/

What a disgusting POS this person was to go off like that on the veteran and his dog.

This woman reminds me of a woman who went off on me like that for reporting her to authorities for illegally parking in a handicap space except she got about 4 inches from my face screaming like the "woman" in the video.  It was all I could do to not push her back but I knew if I did I would be the one in trouble.

Edited by Smokey 1

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Your second sentence is idiotic .... and I am being polite.

To be candid..... I would kick most passengers off the plane before any dog. Including screaming kids  that kick the back of your seat. I have a back condition....it hurts me....throw the kid off the plane. Yeah that will fly....pun intended.

Really...you poor pooor women? You have ahhhhhhhhh allergies? You expect the entire world to revolve around YOU! One person. Further you didn't have the fore-thought to bring docs.....your meds.....to even think about flying on public transportation in the first place.

Screw that.  I don't want to sit next to a dog or a cat.  If the person has a legitimate medical (not emotional) need that is one thing.  My BIL is asthmatic and highly allergic.  He does not fly unless he has no other option because of all of the dogs and cats

I like to sleep on the plane but I also like to sleep in the Nude. Hmm...

2 hours ago, Bartman said:

I like to sleep on the plane but I also like to sleep in the Nude. Hmm...

Hey.....there you go....get a ticket.....show up in a paper scrub suit.....get on board.....tear the suit off.....then claim I am allergic to clothing....ask my Dr. :D

You sure to get a lot of free airmiles just to get you off the plane.

Thing is, if the pilot and crew decides you need to get off, you should just get off, and no need to be an arse and physically resist. Being dramatic and resisting will not work in your favor. If you ever need to be physically removed from a plane, you're an idiot. 

https://www.officialservicedogregistry.com/register-your-dog/

We expect and hope that you will use this registry as intended and in a responsible and respectful manner. Registration is conducted under the honor system and we are not required to verify any disability or review any documentation to verify any disability, nor does any law require you to register, any individual found to abuse this registry will be expelled from the registry.  The registry is not intended to be a certification process and we do not judge the proficiency of our registrants in any way, and nor would that be necessary under the law. Of course, we recognize that under the law you are allowed to train your own animal and we can not be responsible or liable for the actions of dog owners or their dogs either online or offline. Please obey all laws as they apply to your situation.

Seems Legit

2 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

That's absolutely insane. smh

The real shame is that people with legitimate needs and highly trained animals might face extra scrutiny because some self centered jerk wants to take their pet everywhere.  

Edited by Dinglehopper

The woman has a "life-threatening" allergy to animals yet carries no documentation for it?  Real smart.  I'm betting that she didn't make that known to the airline when she bought her ticket either.  If she had produced the proper documentation, and requested a flight with no animals on it, I could see her point.  Not to mention there are masks that could help to mitigate the animal dander.  Did she have anything of that sort?  If it is truly "life threatening" I would certainly make sure I had that at all times in case I found myself in a situation where animals were around.  She sounds like an opportunist, out to make a scene and get whatever she can from the airline.  The airline staff should have simply told her the animals stay and she had the choice to leave the plane or to fly on but that she would do so at her own risk.  But I guess their liability prevented that.  I have no sympathy for her and wouldn't give her a damn thing if I were the airline.  I would tell her take her business elsewhere.  Although I am sure they will cave, and she will get something free out of acting like a total POS.  

Another "Snowflake Meltdown". I was brought up by different generations who came out of the Depression and then went through WWII and soon after Korea. Sit Down, Shut Up, Do your Job and Quit Complaining! Poor Baby!!!

34 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Another "Snowflake Meltdown". I was brought up by different generations who came out of the Depression and then went through WWII and soon after Korea. Sit Down, Shut Up, Do your Job and Quit Complaining! Poor Baby!!!

Yeah!!  Ignore that allergy.  I need to bring my pocket dog on vacation!!

13 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

The real shame is that people with legitimate needs and highly trained animals might face extra scrutiny because some self centered jerk wants to take their pet everywhere.  

Byngo! And if you think about it this sort of 'me first' mentality extends way beyond service dogs.

For example, how many people have  you seen park in a handicapped spot....and bounce out of the car and sprint to the store. Some look pretty damn healthy to me. See it all the time.

I  saw this.... and ran into the sprinter in the food store later on....I guess I got a set....so while looking over the produce I asked...'Wow you look in excellent shape....are you in remission or something. Obviously i got a weird look. 'No I am fine'. 'Oh....good for you ....soooooo .... why the handicapped sticker'. Well that is for my Dad. :mad::huh::angry:

OOOOhhhhhhhhh kaaaayyyyy.

5 hours ago, Bartman said:

I think i am falling in love with you. :lol:

Agree 100%

5 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Byngo! And if you think about it this sort of 'me first' mentality extends way beyond service dogs.

For example, how many people have  you seen park in a handicapped spot....and bounce out of the car and sprint to the store. Some look pretty damn healthy to me. See it all the time.

I  saw this.... and ran into the sprinter in the food store later on....I guess I got a set....so while looking over the produce I asked...'Wow you look in excellent shape....are you in remission or something. Obviously i got a weird look. 'No I am fine'. 'Oh....good for you ....soooooo .... why the handicapped sticker'. Well that is for my Dad. :mad::huh::angry:

OOOOhhhhhhhhh kaaaayyyyy.

BJ's is Abingdon is probably the worst I have ever seen for that abuse.  When the wife, who is a nurse, is with me.   She does as you, gets a little sarcastic and they either get mad or make an excuse.

13 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

BJ's is Abingdon is probably the worst I have ever seen for that abuse.  When the wife, who is a nurse, is with me.   She does as you, gets a little sarcastic and they either get mad or make an excuse.

Ohhhh it is all over the place.

Oh I never displayed anger at the sprinter. No value in that. Just validation.

All this is really just an extension of the 'me first....I am more important than you' aura that is taking over our country. Well, yeah it was the sprinters father's tag....don't you have the decency to realize that A TRUELY HANDICAPPED PERSON IS BEING DENYED A SPACE? I never said that....and even if I did I am sure she would have told me to f-off.

My fatther-in-law spent his last 6 years on this earth living in our home. He was very sick so ....while he couldn't drive anymore we got a handicapped sticker for facilitate his going tor treatments and Drs appointments. In ALL those 6 years....neither I nor my wife EVER parked in a handicapped slot unless he was in the car.

I am not looking for an 'attah boy'....just pointing out different mind sets.

Edited by Guido2

19 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ohhhh it is all over the place.

Oh I never displayed anger at the sprinter. No value in that. Just validation.

All this is really just an extension of the 'me first....I am more important than you' aura that is taking over our country. Well, yeah it was the sprinters father's tag....don't you have the decency to realize that A TRUELY HANDICAPPED PERSON IS BEING DENYED A SPACE? I never said that....and even if I did I am sure she would have told me to f-off.

My fatther-in-law spent his last 6 years on this earth living in our home. He was very sick so ....while he couldn't drive anymore we got a handicapped sticker for facilitate his going tor treatments and Drs appointments. In ALL those 6 years....neither I nor my wife EVER parked in a handicapped slot unless he was in the car.

I am not looking for an 'attah boy'....just pointing out different mind sets.

Not all people who need handicap spaces are visibly handicapped but I do report people who park illegally in those spaces (without tag or plaque).  In an earlier post on this thread I told of a situation where I reported a vehicle parked illegally in a handicap space and the guilty person assaulted me by getting in my face screaming like a crazy person.  She never touched me but she was about four inches from my face which is legally considered assault.  I reported her to building management and before I knew it she had accused me of harassment and reported me to her superiors who threatened to have me fired.  There were no witnesses to the altercation but our building does have video surveillance so I had management check the tapes.  Bottom line is they backed off after I told her supervisor that I had video evidence of her assault and that I was going report her to the police.  Apparently she was one of these people who always she got her way by throwing tantrums and she was determined to get me fired for reporting her illegal parking (snitching).  Fortunately for me it didn't work out that way this time.

Edited by Smokey 1