Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bawlmerian

Service Dog Vs Passenger Rights on Plane

122 posts in this topic

May I be blunt? Okay. I think the professor is full of crap.

27 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Not all people who need handicap spaces are visibly handicapped but I do report people who park illegally in those spaces (without tag or plaque).  In an earlier post on this thread I told of a situation where I reported a vehicle parked illegally in a handicap space and the guilty person assaulted me by getting in my face screaming like a crazy person.  She never touched me but she was about four inches from my face which is legally considered assault.  I reported her to building management and before I knew it she had accused me of harassment and reported me to her superiors who threatened to have me fired.  There were no witnesses to the altercation but our building does have video surveillance so I had management check the tapes.  Bottom line is they backed off after I told her supervisor that I had video evidence of her assault and that I was going report her to the police.  Apparently she was one of these people who always she got her way by throwing tantrums and she was determined to get me fired for reporting her illegal parking (snitching).  Fortunately for me it didn't work out that way this time.

I am fully aware their are people with needs that you may not see. Like respetory issues....they may not need a 'tank' but walking a block to park somewhere else would be tough. My Dad had that. Nope my sprinter looked like she could do a marathon and not break a sweat.

Shame you didn't cold coke her (SIC due to PC filters) ....you could have likely claimed that she violated your 'space' and felt threatened.

Hmmmmmm .....you are (fill in the space) and she is (fill in the blank)....let me guess. :lol:

Edited by Guido2

35 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

May I be blunt? Okay. I think the professor is full of crap.

Yes I agree. 

However, now that I see how easy it is to get an "emotional support" card for your dog (pig, goat, hedgehog or chicken) I think some limits should be placed on animals allowed in passenger areas of planes. It's nonsense. If you're that afraid of flying, take a couple valium and have a drink like most people. 

52 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I am fully aware their are people with needs that you may not see. Like respetory issues....they may not need a 'tank' but walking a block to park somewhere else would be tough. My Dad had that. Nope my sprinter looked like she could do a marathon and not break a sweat.

Shame you didn't cold coke her (SIC due to PC filters) ....you could have likely claimed that she violated your 'space' and felt threatened.

Hmmmmmm .....you are (fill in the space) and she is (fill in the blank)....let me guess. :lol:

Yes and yes, you guessed it.  :D

The woman that got dragged off is just another example of "me first" entitled primadonna jerkwards that make our society what it is today. 

Her allergies are HER problem, not the problem of the dog, or the dog owner, who were rightfully on that plane.  SHE has the problem, it's incumbent of her to leave the plane.  I don't care if the dog was a service dog, or not. 

I agree that people abuse the ADA rules. But guess what? We can't ask! I deal with it several times per week.  And what is very likely is that this professor supports these ADA laws -- until they impact her. If you have such a extreme allergy - pack your meds because it would be illegal for the airline to kick off the assistance animal.

55 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Yes and yes, you guessed it.  :D

And the truth be told. :D

And how stereotypes are born.

58 minutes ago, alienrace said:

The woman that got dragged off is just another example of "me first" entitled primadonna jerkwards that make our society what it is today. 

Her allergies are HER problem, not the problem of the dog, or the dog owner, who were rightfully on that plane.  SHE has the problem, it's incumbent of her to leave the plane.  I don't care if the dog was a service dog, or not. 

Hey ....and while we are at it.....lets talk peanuts.

Do they still offer them on planes (paid for or free)? Oh and how many schools have banned B&J because one kid has an allergy.

While I have empathy....the whole school shouldn't have to change it's eating habits because of some kids issues.

NEWS FLASH.....just because it is your issue.....IT IS NOT MY ISSUE.

As I said............this seems appropriate.............pardon the ad....but ...

2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Hey ....and while we are at it.....lets talk peanuts.

Do they still offer them on planes (paid for or free)? Oh and how many schools have banned B&J because one kid has an allergy.

While I have empathy....the whole school shouldn't have to change it's eating habits because of some kids issues.

NEWS FLASH.....just because it is your issue.....IT IS NOT MY ISSUE.

As I said............this seems appropriate.............pardon the ad....but ...

Actually, some kids have such a severe, life-threatening allergy to peanuts that the schools must take such actions. It's not really something to joke about. 

11 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

Yeah!!  Ignore that allergy.  I need to bring my pocket dog on vacation!!

Hi Bawlmerian. I think the issue is that if you claim to have a life threatening condition, the airline requires paperwork from your doctor that says you're good to fly. Granted, I clicked on one of the many links for this story, so not sure of the accuracy of that, but to me it makes sense.

IMO, this is a great example of someone being book smart maybe, but having little common sense. She's an adult, and theres no way she doesn't know that some flights will have animals, most likely service dogs. If that allergy could actually kill you, it's probably best to at least ask if there will be any dogs on the plane. And it's obvious common sense to carry some paperwork that explains it, just in case. Seems she didn't think of any of this, and simply assumed that the other passenger would be booted for her. Most adults also know, that if the captain says you are off the plane, you won't win that argument. Only a moron gets forcefully removed from a plane. 

I may not have this 100%, but I believe the law allows for service animals only, when it comes to all access. Therapy or emotional support animals are not supported by ADA laws, and can be denied entry. Obviously, having no requirement to produce paperwork for that lends to abuse. I'm not sure why people are not required to prove their dog is an actual trained service dog...You can legally be asked if the animal is required due to a disability, and what the animal has been trained to do. The only service animals the ADA recognizes are dogs. And in some situations, mini horses, which to me sound unworkable in just about all situations.

I heard on BAL the other day that the city school system will allow (or is considering) miniature horses to be used in schools. This seems like a not well thought out idea, considering theses horses can weigh 250 lbs. and cannot be housebroken, as far as eliminating waste. Kids will naturally gravitate towards a tiny horse (who wouldn't) and the first foot stepped on or kid rear kicked for pulling the tail, that programs done and costs the taxpayers for the obvious lawsuit. 

Edited by pepper

Hey for 30 bucks you can have an emotional support weasel if you want one.   I'm thinking maybe emotional support warthog.  Gonna take him on my next flight  

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Actually, some kids have such a severe, life-threatening allergy to peanuts that the schools must take such actions. It's not really something to joke about. 

Did you think I was joking about it? I wasn't. It is serious...as a teacher I had to be aware of it all the time.

However, I will say that as unfair it is that the child or that women having sever allergies...but that is life....it is a roll of the dna dice.

Not to be cold....but it is their problem. I don't feel that as a society we all have to adjust our lives to fit theirs. Be careful yes...try to not affect that person yes. Curtailing what I can do or what I can eat. Ahhhhhh no.

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I'm being honest here, as a person that grew up in the late 60's, early 70's...I don't remember any kids dying or even having a problem with food based allergy. Can anyone explain how this issue didn't exist back then? Did kids have reactions or died and we didn't know about it?

23 minutes ago, pepper said:

I'm being honest here, as a person that grew up in the late 60's, early 70's...I don't remember any kids dying or even having a problem with food based allergy. Can anyone explain how this issue didn't exist back then? Did kids have reactions or died and we didn't know about it?

This is interesting: http://acaai.org/news/socioeconomic-status-linked-childhood-peanut-allergy

On 9/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, Bawlmerian said:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/lacey/s/g8o64/police-drag-woman-off-southwest-flight-at-bwi-airport

Interesting that the woman claiming allergies is kicked off and the dogs remain.

Why would the rights of the dog and owner come before the other passenger?  Should my wife and I have each other registered as service animals so that we have the same rights as dogs?

Dogs are way better than people. 

1 hour ago, WhatintheHell said:

You need better people in your life 

4 hours ago, WhatintheHell said:

My dog is useless. And stupid. I like having her around. Not better than a person, but pretty cool.

18 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

Yeah!!  Ignore that allergy.  I need to bring my pocket dog on vacation!!

You are totally missing the point.  If you don't like animals, that's fine, not everyone does.  But if you have a "life threatening" allergy to them as this woman says she does, it is up to you to alert the airline to that fact and find out what accommodations can be made so that you don't have to freak out once you are on the airplane and disturb everyone else because of your own failure be responsible.  Personally I think the airline has bent over backwards to be nice to a person who is an obvious pain in the arse and pretty much a narcissist waste of a human being.  We have too many people in the country today like this who believe everything is about their entitlement.  Funny thing is, had they asked the dogs to get off the plane, they probably could have been led off by leash without an issue.  The higher advanced more intelligent creature was the one who had to act like a cave person and create a scene.  Look for the lawsuit any day now.     

5 hours ago, cprenegade said:

We have too many people in the country today like this who believe everything is about their entitlement.   

I agree.  And many people feel entitled to bring their dogs everywhere 

10 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Daulatzai has been charged with disorderly conduct, failure to obey, disturbing the peace, obstructing and hindering a police officer and resisting arrest. She has since been released from custody.

http://wbaltv.com/article/woman-removed-from-plane-after-claiming-allergy-refusing-to-leave/12486324?src=app

Seems appropriate.  But the issue of fake service animals will have to be addressed.  Everyone with allergies will need to carry paperwork.  I may get some just so I dont have to sit next to an emotional support pony on my next flight

3 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Seems appropriate.  But the issue of fake service animals will have to be addressed.  Everyone with allergies will need to carry paperwork.  I may get some just so I dont have to sit next to an emotional support pony on my next flight

:D:D

7 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

My Little Pony will be happy to give you the window seat.  :) Not to worry.

Has the idea of segregating passengers with service animals ever occurred to anyone?

Similar to segregating 1st and 2nd class compartments.