Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bawlmerian

Service Dog Vs Passenger Rights on Plane

122 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

And lawyers never lie when faced with a career changing settlement.:rolleyes:

With all that they are claiming it would be easy to witnesses of her claims on a packed flight.

Or not. I am figuring not.

The lady should have just gotten off of the plain instead of resisting and making a scene.  She deserved what she got, how else where they going to get here off of the plain?

14 minutes ago, bogart said:

The lady should have just gotten off of the plain instead of resisting and making a scene.  She deserved what she got, how else where they going to get here off of the plain?

Long time no see bogart! B)

47 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Long time no see bogart! B)

I got a promotion at work so of course more work.  I check in every now and then.

11 minutes ago, bogart said:

I got a promotion at work so of course more work.  I check in every now and then.

Congratulations! :)

35 minutes ago, bogart said:

Congratulations on your promotion!  :) 

5 hours ago, bogart said:

I agree.  I would still like to know what the actual conversation was that led up to the police coming on board.  But once an officers says to get off you get off.  Really same for flight attendant or pilot.  

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

I agree.  I would still like to know what the actual conversation was that led up to the police coming on board.  But once an officers says to get off you get off.  Really same for flight attendant or pilot.  

I am pretty sure....with all the previous goings on with people (the Dr for one) getting booted. And the outrage. :rolleyes: I am sure that the airline was very careful about handling this.

But here we are seeing a manifestation of actions based  really on  nothing more than the 'I am more important than you, that doesn't apply to me' attitude being generated as of late in our nation.'

Most don't know this ....but like a ships captain.....a pilot has pretty much the power to decide things. At least on paper.

On more than a couple of cruises one I took and friends told me about, the captain threw an a-hole in the brig till the next port.

Hmmmm....just had a fantastic idea for the severly allegant. PLASTIC BUBBLE SUITS.

Like this........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_in_the_Plastic_Bubble

Edited by Guido2

22 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I am pretty sure....with all the previous goings on with people (the Dr for one) getting booted. And the outrage. :rolleyes: I am sure that the airline was very careful about handling this.

But here we are seeing a manifestation of actions based  really on  nothing more than the 'I am more important than you, that doesn't apply to me' attitude being generated as of late in our nation.'

Most don't know this ....but like a ships captain.....a pilot has pretty much the power to decide things. At least on paper.

On more than a couple of cruises one I took and friends told me about, the captain threw an a-hole in the brig till the next port.

Hmmmm....just had a fantastic idea for the severly allegant. PLASTIC BUBBLE SUITS.

Like this........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_in_the_Plastic_Bubble

It is odd to me that it is only the allergic  person being viewed as the selfish and sensitive person.  In this case she lost the battle by refusing to exit the plane.  But in the larger picture I think the proliferation of fake service animals is more of an indication of selfish and self centered people: "I am more important and I am brining fluffy the dog everywhere I go because I had a traumatic childhood" 

And I think anyone that flies knows that about the Pilot. 

1 hour ago, Bawlmerian said:

It is odd to me that it is only the allergic  person being viewed as the selfish and sensitive person.  In this case she lost the battle by refusing to exit the plane.  But in the larger picture I think the proliferation of fake service animals is more of an indication of selfish and self centered people: "I am more important and I am brining fluffy the dog everywhere I go because I had a traumatic childhood" 

I agree, especially since I saw that website which issues vests and cards for service and "support" animals.

Personally, I've never been on a flight with a support animal - at least that I've noticed, but I wouldn't appreciate sharing my personal airspace with a dog or pig or any animal! It's difficult enough being stuck in an airborne tube with strangers for several hours, I definitely don't want dog breath or slobber on me. 

The emotional support has gotten way out if control.   

I am sure there's a certain percentage of people who absolutely do need the dogs and for whom they serve a vital function.    It's only the selfish cheaters that I'm speaking of. 

1 hour ago, Bawlmerian said:

I am sure there's a certain percentage of people who absolutely do need the dogs and for whom they serve a vital function.    It's only the selfish cheaters that I'm speaking of. 

Yes, the dogs do more than they used to.  Back in the day you only saw "seeing eye dogs" but now dogs can be trained to do more than lead the blind.  I don't disagree about the abuse.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

Well if you are referring to me .....you are wrong. The thread leans toward her because that is the root of the thread. Nothing more ...nothing less.

I am an animal lover, particularly dogs. And like you .... I am a bit disgusted that people abuse the service animals waiver. From what I have read pretty much all someone has to do is go to one of the QUACK web sites pays XX dollars and their little fluffy is now a service dog. And that is HS.

it diminishes the value of TRUE service dogs....like those that lead the blind or for the wheelchair bound retrieve/fetch/monitor or those with various diseases such as diabetes.

Oh and for the record....I am very familiar with REAL service dogs and what they do.....my sister raised 4...seeing eye dogs.

To the people that need fluffy to get through the ordeal of flying......drive....take a train....take a pill....drink a few scotches. And shut up.

Oh and you people with peanut allergies. I got addresses for masks and plastic disposable gloves....real cheap...check ebay.

Our county is now loaded with 'MEs' . SMH

Edited by Guido2

Just my 2 cents on this topic - if a person has a  true life threatening allergy to dogs, one would think that they would have some sort of documentation of that condition, and that whenever entering any kind of public area, or boarding a public conveyance, they would observe the presence of any dogs and avoid contact. The person in this instance would have a terrible time surviving in Europe, where folks take their dogs (pets, not service animals) on the subway, into restaurants, and into other places that typically do not allow pets here in the USA.

If someone has a severe shellfish allergy, they can't walk into a restaurant and expect the person sitting at the adjacent table eating steamed shrimp to be forced to move or leave.   

24 minutes ago, Papi said:

Just my 2 cents on this topic - if a person has a  true life threatening allergy to dogs, one would think that they would have some sort of documentation of that condition, and that whenever entering any kind of public area, or boarding a public conveyance, they would observe the presence of any dogs and avoid contact. The person in this instance would have a terrible time surviving in Europe, where folks take their dogs (pets, not service animals) on the subway, into restaurants, and into other places that typically do not allow pets here in the USA.

If someone has a severe shellfish allergy, they can't walk into a restaurant and expect the person sitting at the adjacent table eating steamed shrimp to be forced to move or leave.   

Good common sense answer.  Of course, common sense has left the country.

1 hour ago, Papi said:

I am still willing to bet that she doesn't have a "severe allergy" to dogs. 

3 hours ago, Papi said:

Frankly, I prefer dogs in a restaurant as opposed to parents bringing their whiny undisaplined brats in. I am old enough to remember in my my small town ....dogs were allowed most anywhere...as long as they were behaved. Now? I think most of Europe has it right

Where have you been. We live in the US....where some whiny self-centered big mouth can bend the needs of the majority ....to build the utopia they wish. Didn't  you get the memo?  :lol:

True story; very similar to what you are stating. I remember very distintly...two very self absorbed parents...brough their brod into a very nice restaurant. Kids are screaming....running all over the place....one kid came over an LITERALLY TOOK FOOD OFF MY PLATE.

I complained....and one of the parents came over and GAVE ME A TONGUE LASHING. Do you believe it? My wife and I sat for a while pondering what to do next. NEXT I hear the wife having a temper tantrum because another couple near them ordered 'something' that smelled was giving HER coughing fits.

I HAVE NEVER stiffed a bill...just got up and left our meal..I found the waiter...gave him a generous tip...flipped the bird at the couple and walked out. We were getting in our car and we noted that the 'stinky' couple had followed suit. and were walking to their car.

Money talks....and money walks.

Edited by Guido2

2 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Good common sense answer.  Of course, common sense has left the country.

Like Elvis...............

It's a shame. I am all for compromise. But now a days half a loaf isn't good enough for some.

2 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I am still willing to bet that she doesn't have a "severe allergy" to dogs. 

I would not take that bet against your thoughts.

Just another whiny you know what....