Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Mayor Catherine Pugh has gotten investment bank Goldman Sachs to pledge to help Baltimore get Amazon's second headquarters.

19 posts in this topic

Mayor Pugh has stated at her weekly press conference that she has gotten Goldman Sachs to pledge to help Baltimore out with trying to get Amazon's second headquarters: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2017/09/27/pugh-says-goldman-sachs-on-board-to-help-with.html

Mayor Catherine Pugh said the city's proposal to land Amazon's second headquarters is "just about ready," and that she has enlisted investment bank Goldman Sachs to help.

Speaking at her weekly press conference Wednesday, Pugh said she spoke to Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein a few weeks ago, who pledged to assist Baltimore in landing the $5.5 billion project. Goldman Sachs recently announced a $233 million investment in Sagamore Development's 235-acre Port Covington project, which has become the centerpiece of Baltimore's proposal to Amazon.

Pugh used her press conference as a chance to make a short pitch to Amazon.

"If [Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos] is listening ... you can't find a better place than Baltimore," she said. "You don't have to go through zoning, you've already got the space."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is great.....but isn't she making a pact with the devil?

I mean all those nasty money grubbing conservative white men.....like the ones that infest the Trump admin?

Sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish her good luck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GS will promise anyone anything if they get paid for it. They are the ultimate corporate whore. Pugh better count her fingers every time she shakes hands with them. Although, judging by her election irregularities, she just might be familiar with a few of the common grifts herself. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

GS will promise anyone anything if they get paid for it. They are the ultimate corporate whore. Pugh better count her fingers every time she shakes hands with them. Although, judging by her election irregularities, she just might be familiar with a few of the common grifts herself. :)

Now ...be nice. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope Baltimore area is the new location for Amazon. I cannot see any negatives about an Amazon Headquarters. I prefer Sparrows Point over Port Covington. I realize the former is in the county. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Manny said:

Let's hope Baltimore area is the new location for Amazon. I cannot see any negatives about an Amazon Headquarters. I prefer Sparrows Point over Port Covington. I realize the former is in the county. 

I kinda think that Sparrow Point is to industrial for a HQ...plus they don't have the transportation amenities that Port may/should have. Rememeber this is paper pushing (I think) not moving product.

BTW I think Hogan better get on the horn with PG and now Howard county about this whole thing. I understand now Howard has thrown it's hat in the ring......further watering down or to put it another way muddying the waters. And tell them to stand down....politely. Give them a grant or something and tell them to go away so 'they' can focus on the Port. Instead of everybody running around willy nilly.

IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Manny said:

Let's hope Baltimore area is the new location for Amazon. I cannot see any negatives about an Amazon Headquarters. I prefer Sparrows Point over Port Covington. I realize the former is in the county. 

I'm guessing there would need to be a major cleanup project since that ground at SP has to be super contaminated.  Unless this has already occurred.

3 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I kinda think that Sparrow Point is to industrial for a HQ...plus they don't have the transportation amenities that Port may/should have. Rememeber this is paper pushing (I think) not moving product.

BTW I think Hogan better get on the horn with PG and now Howard county about this whole thing. I understand now Howard has thrown it's hat in the ring......further watering down or to put it another way muddying the waters. And tell them to stand down....politely. Give them a grant or something and tell them to go away so 'they' can focus on the Port. Instead of everybody running around willy nilly.

IMHO.

I couldn't imagine Howard County being in the running.  Pretty lacking in mass transit options, at least in terms of connecting with Baltimore and DC.  Plus Columbia is the most generic of generic suburbs.  PG County is at least right there with DC and I think the subway extends out there at least somewhat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

I'm guessing there would need to be a major cleanup project since that ground at SP has to be super contaminated.  Unless this has already occurred.

I couldn't imagine Howard County being in the running.  Pretty lacking in mass transit options, at least in terms of connecting with Baltimore and DC.  Plus Columbia is the most generic of generic suburbs.  PG County is at least right there with DC and I think the subway extends out there at least somewhat.

I was surprised about Howard trying. PG also. As I said Hogan better get on the phone and have a 'chat'....Pugh also....to especially PG.

This is a big taco.....and diluting resources as is happening does not benefit getting the state NOT I SAID STATE getting the HQ. Trick is that Hogan has to 'tell' them..... if the city gets the HQ....the money that will derived from that....will more than likely make more money available for them ... through the state....in the long run.

The biggiest advantage  the Port has in getting it is that this is a 'ground up....what you want build up'. Allowing Amazon to get exactly what they want. Plus....while funding, plans etc. etc. are in place and moving. No....well lets study this as would happen in PG and Howard and then get the rest lined up.

But not to worry..... the GA will surely find a way to undermine it....since Hogan would have his name on it....and not a Dem. Just like gambling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Guido2 said:

Based on that article.....it isn't looking at all good for MD. But yah never know.

I still think Baltimore City has a good chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I still think Baltimore City has a good chance. 

Hopefullly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon listed transportation as an important draw, and Baltimore couldn't even get their red line working thx to Hogan.

Fat chance Amazon is going to come to a city with such half-assed public transportation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baltimore also has it's work cut out to be a more bike friendly city

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-sun-investigates-amazon-bike-lanes-20170921-story.html

Is Baltimore bike-friendly enough for Amazon?

As Amazon seeks a site for a second North American headquarters, the Seattle-based online retail giant twice mentioned bike lanes in its request for proposals as an expectation for cities vying for the facility.

“Include connectivity options: sidewalks, bike lanes, trams, metro, bus, light rail, train, and additional creative options to foster connectivity between buildings/facilities,” Amazon wrote...

...Jim Brown, the coalition’s head, said the trail system could be built in the next two to three years — and become a major drawing card for Amazon, accustomed to bike-friendly Seattle.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Calamari said:

Amazon listed transportation as an important draw, and Baltimore couldn't even get their red line working thx to Hogan.

Fat chance Amazon is going to come to a city with such half-assed public transportation. 

OOOOhhhhhhhh wwwahhhhhh.

Look fish bait.................if it was SUCH  a great idea....then why didn't MOM...push it through harder with the GAs help.

Reason.......it was a disaster financially waiting to happen. But they didn't have the GUTS to fess up about it.

Funny how the dems kick the can down the road in hopes the a Republican gets the blame.

But block Republicans (see casinos and Ehr. ) bad bad bad....but as soon as MOM showed up...good good good.

Yeah no partisan politics in MD. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But I DO AGREE WITH YOU....that BC's mass transit is by far the worst I have ever encountered in all the major cities when I was working. Absolutely NO sense rhyme or reason and crappy ease of transfers.

There never seems to have been a master plan. Just dems getting money and spending it willy-nilly.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

OOOOhhhhhhhh wwwahhhhhh.

Look fish bait.................if it was SUCH  a great idea....then why didn't MOM...push it through harder with the GAs help.

Reason.......it was a disaster financially waiting to happen. But they didn't have the GUTS to fess up about it.

Funny how the dems kick the can down the road in hopes the a Republican gets the blame.

But block Republicans (see casinos and Ehr. ) bad bad bad....but as soon as MOM showed up...good good good.

Yeah no partisan politics in MD. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But I DO AGREE WITH YOU....that BC's mass transit is by far the worst I have ever encountered in all the major cities when I was working. Absolutely NO sense rhyme or reason and crappy ease of transfers.

There never seems to have been a master plan. Just dems getting money and spending it willy-nilly.

Have you seen any improvements to Baltimore's public transit under Hogan's BaltimoreLink plan that he implemented in June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, KSweeley said:

Have you seen any improvements to Baltimore's public transit under Hogan's BaltimoreLink plan that he implemented in June?

You seem to  have this thing about pinning the LONG EXISTING screwups in public transportation on Hogan...all because of the Red line cancellation. As I said before....where was MOM...he had 8 years. So?

Ok....I will pretend they were still working out the details :P while MOM was in office. The red line would not be available for years if he and the GA had a set. So why didn't he push to improve bus/light rail/ subway fixes in the meantime?

I hear crickets I bet.

Can't comment on improvements. I don't take public transportation to or in and around the city except for a ball game. 

I want to get where I want to go in a timely fashion and before the sun sets. :lol:

Talk to matt.....he is a better judge as he has use the old and new systems and now living in NJ.....and now has a taste of public transportation in the suburbs vs the city.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PG County might be a landing spot because they're close to DC. I suspect that one thing Bezos wants is a headquarters with easy access to politicians and lobbyists, to ram though his policy ideas. In addition, Amazon's cloud business has a number of government contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

PG County might be a landing spot because they're close to DC. I suspect that one thing Bezos wants is a headquarters with easy access to politicians and lobbyists, to ram though his policy ideas. In addition, Amazon's cloud business has a number of government contracts.

Excellent point...never thought of that. Hmmmmm that IS  a key piece of the puzzle seeing as how Amazon wants to be the next Microsoft/big brother in our lives.

Gotta get those drones up. :D

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0