Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrdeltoid

I.C.E. targets sanctuary cities.....DUH!!!

171 posts in this topic

Of course they are going to target "sanctuary cities". If you were a illegal alien, where would you head to after you sneak in?

ICE arrests hundreds of immigrants in 'sanctuary cities' around the ...

www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ice-raids-sanctuary-20170928-story.html
21 hours ago - ICE arrests hundreds of immigrants in 'sanctuary cities' around the ... of a Colonia Chiques gang member in Los Angeles as part of the raid, ...

It is amazing that the SJWs are complaining about the feds arresting illegals who have criminal charges against them.  I suppose they believe that they should get a pass on all of our laws.  Disgusting.

24 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

...illegals who have criminal charges against them...

Of course, for many on your side of the argument, "criminal" means virtually anything from crossing the border illegally, to a traffic violation, to actual violent crimes. 

If the person has committed an _actual_ violent crime, I would prefer they serve the sentence here and then be deported rather than merely be deported only to come back to settle scores soon after.

5 hours ago, dogstarman said:

Of course, for many on your side of the argument, "criminal" means virtually anything from crossing the border illegally, to a traffic violation, to actual violent crimes. 

If the person has committed an _actual_ violent crime, I would prefer they serve the sentence here and then be deported rather than merely be deported only to come back to settle scores soon after.

I would be good with that.

12 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

Of course they are going to target "sanctuary cities". If you were a illegal alien, where would you head to after you sneak in?

21 hours ago - ICE arrests hundreds of immigrants in 'sanctuary cities' around the ... of a Colonia Chiques gang member in Los Angeles as part of the raid, ...

pulleezz, anyone in this country in violation of immigration law is a "deportable alien" not an "immigrant"

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-5684.html

INA: ACT 237 - GENERAL CLASSES OF DEPORTABLE ALIENS
Sec. 237 1/ [8 U.S.C. 1227] 

(a) Classes of Deportable Aliens.-Any alien (including an alien crewman) in and admitted to the United States shall, upon the order of the Attorney General, be removed if the alien is within one or more of the following classes of deportable aliens: 

(1) Inadmissible at time of entry or of adjustment of status or violates status.- 

(A) Inadmissible aliens.-Any alien who at the time of entry or adjustment of status was within one or more of the classes of aliens inadmissible by the law existing at such time is deportable.

(B) 2/ Present in violation of law.-Any alien who is present in the United States in violation of this Act or any other law of the 2b/ United States, or whose nonimmigrant visa (or other documentation authorizing admission into the United States as a nonimmigrant) has been revoked under section 221(i) is deportable. 

(C) Violated nonimmigrant status or condition of entry.-

(i) Nonimmigrant status violators.-Any alien who was admitted as a nonimmigrant and who has failed to maintain the nonimmigrant status in which the alien was admitted or to which it was changed under section 248 , or to comply with the conditions of any such status, is deportable. 

(ii) Violators of conditions of entry.-Any alien whom the Secretary of Health and Human Services certifies has failed to comply with terms, conditions, and controls that were imposed under section 212(g) is deportable.

3 hours ago, boink said:

pulleezz, anyone in this country in violation of immigration law is a "deportable alien" not an "immigrant"

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-5684.html

INA: ACT 237 - GENERAL CLASSES OF DEPORTABLE ALIENS
Sec. 237 1/ [8 U.S.C. 1227] 

(a) Classes of Deportable Aliens.-Any alien (including an alien crewman) in and admitted to the United States shall, upon the order of the Attorney General, be removed if the alien is within one or more of the following classes of deportable aliens: 

(1) Inadmissible at time of entry or of adjustment of status or violates status.- 

(A) Inadmissible aliens.-Any alien who at the time of entry or adjustment of status was within one or more of the classes of aliens inadmissible by the law existing at such time is deportable.

(B) 2/ Present in violation of law.-Any alien who is present in the United States in violation of this Act or any other law of the 2b/ United States, or whose nonimmigrant visa (or other documentation authorizing admission into the United States as a nonimmigrant) has been revoked under section 221(i) is deportable. 

(C) Violated nonimmigrant status or condition of entry.-

(i) Nonimmigrant status violators.-Any alien who was admitted as a nonimmigrant and who has failed to maintain the nonimmigrant status in which the alien was admitted or to which it was changed under section 248 , or to comply with the conditions of any such status, is deportable. 

(ii) Violators of conditions of entry.-Any alien whom the Secretary of Health and Human Services certifies has failed to comply with terms, conditions, and controls that were imposed under section 212(g) is deportable.

It makes me think the whole "sanctuary city" thing was political. Kind of like " look at me! I'm on your side! Don't forget at election time." I'm sure I.C.E. was thinking " well this makes it easy. Let's wait a few months, give them some time to get there. Then boom, got 'em." The cops use the same principle with the "You've inherited a large sum of money. To collect , report to:". 

Are any of you curious as to why sanctuary cities exist? 

The right is angry that so-called sanctuary cities have thriving economies, while their exemplar states are meth junky wastelands.

17 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

500 people out of 12 Million -- 

so insignificant it's laughable

23 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

500 people out of 12 Million -- 

so insignificant it's laughable

Not laughable at all. 

It is meant to send a message, propagate fear, and appease certain vile elements.

In that sense, it's a pretty good ROI for the effort expended. 

1 minute ago, dogstarman said:

Not laughable at all. 

It is meant to send a message, propagate fear, and appease certain vile elements.

In that sense, it's a pretty good ROI for the effort expended. 

Nobody is afraid of the pathetic raids.

Undocumenteds are not heading back to their home countries.

They all realize there are not enough ICE agents combined to do jack.

9 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

Bingo!!!! This is just a waste of resources.Probably half of those who may be deported will probably be back in less than 5 years anyway. 

Federal agents took an illegal immigrant to Grant Medical Center in October 2009 to collect proof of his ties to a Mexican-based drug ring.

During his two-day hospital stay, Jose Aranda-Mora supplied the needed evidence - 92 balloons of heroin that he had swallowed before a traffic stop in Richland County.

Three months earlier, immigration agents had deported Mora to his homeland of Mexico. But the free ride home served as no deterrent. Since 2000, Mora has been deported four times, only to return time and again - most recently to Ohio.

A Dispatch investigation revealed that it is common for deported immigrants to return to the United States despite the threat of felony charges.

In another case, Juan Jose Beltran-Coronel’s fourth trip to the border with immigration agents came after he was involved in a car crash in Kansas that killed his wife and exposed him as a human smuggler.

On 16 other occasions, Beltran was caught in the U.S. illegally and left on his own, court records show.

He served 5 1/2 years in prison and was shipped back to Mexico in 2002. Within three years, he was back, living in Preble County in western Ohio.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2010/12/27/deported-illegal-immigrants-return-repeatedly.html

Edited by bmore_ken

15 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

If the goal were to deport all illegal immigrants "right now", yes, it's a pathetic effort that will not accomplish that goal. 

And while I am sure that there are some knuckle-draggers among ICE and their chain of command all the way to Sessions and Trump, the anti-immigration side realises this too-- that deporting a few hundred at a time on an occasional raid isn't "enough". They know that.

This is about sending a message to cities that self-identify as "sanctuary". The next message will be an attempt to cut off certain federal funds. Meanwhile, I am sure that someone if going through the arrested people with a fine comb to find some "really bad dude" (Trump's words) to hold up as an example. 

The raid was just one move in a long game. If you don't recognize that you're setting yourself up for some very unpleasant surprises in the future.

Oh....the (selective) outrage:

"Barack Obama, deporter-in-chief"

"America is expelling illegal immigrants at nine times the rate of 20 years ago (see article); nearly 2m so far under Barack Obama, easily outpacing any previous president. Border patrol agents no longer just patrol the border; they scour the country for illegals to eject. The deportation machine costs more than all other areas of federal criminal law......"

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21595902-expelling-record-numbers-immigrants-costly-way-make-america-less-dynamic-barack-obama

4 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Oh....the (selective) outrage:

"Barack Obama, deporter-in-chief"

"America is expelling illegal immigrants at nine times the rate of 20 years ago (see article); nearly 2m so far under Barack Obama, easily outpacing any previous president. Border patrol agents no longer just patrol the border; they scour the country for illegals to eject. The deportation machine costs more than all other areas of federal criminal law......"

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21595902-expelling-record-numbers-immigrants-costly-way-make-america-less-dynamic-barack-obama

Who's outraged?

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

It's pretty obviously politically motivated. The left goes to the closest mic to announce "The city of __________ welcomes all people". , to cater to the Hispanic vote. The right goes to the closest mic to announce "we are protecting the American people " as they point to the 18 or 20 gang bangers caught in the "raid". Sad part is neither has the health and welfare of the American people as a motivating force. The main goal is to grab and remain in power at any cost.

Oh, and BTW, the raids are just the latest shot in the political football of immigration. Next shot will be fired back in due time.

21 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

Quick.....somebody quote willie sutton.

Edited by Dr Johnny Fever

4 hours ago, hst2 said:

So the illegals can vote democrat early and often.

To the left they are votes, not humans.

3 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Illegals can't vote

2 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

It's pretty obviously politically motivated. The left goes to the closest mic to announce "The city of __________ welcomes all people". , to cater to the Hispanic vote. The right goes to the closest mic to announce "we are protecting the American people " as they point to the 18 or 20 gang bangers caught in the "raid". Sad part is neither has the health and welfare of the American people as a motivating force. The main goal is to grab and remain in power at any cost.

2 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

You guys are in Trumpland. It sounds just as nutty and self-serving when he says it.

Here are the facts:

"Police chiefs across the country support sanctuary cities because they keep crime down

For America’s police chiefs, calls for enhanced enforcement of federal immigration laws bring a particular concern. Chiefs are afraid that such efforts will have the unintended consequence of actually increasing crime and making their communities less safe. The reasons for this can be found in recent incidents from some of the country’s so-called sanctuary cities.

...Police chiefs know that today’s unreported domestic violence or sexual assault or robbery can become tomorrow’s reported homicide. This is a special concern in immigrant communities, where many people fear that cooperating with the police may lead to scrutiny and even deportation. It’s why cities have adopted policies like the one in Los Angeles, and it’s why police departments have invested considerable time and resources to build trust and cooperation with all of their communities, including their immigrant communities. They know that when people step forward because they trust their local police, communities are safer.

For all these reasons, the label of sanctuary city is a misnomer. The term “sanctuary” dates to classical Greece and Rome, and to Christian traditions in the Middle Ages. Back then, sanctuaries provided certain protections to fugitives in churches or other sacred locations. The details changed over time, but sanctuary generally consisted of limited, temporary protections to people suspected of certain types of crimes, and only in narrow circumstances."

Link

6 minutes ago, hst2 said:

You guys are in Trumpland. It sounds just as nutty and self-serving when he says it.

Here are the facts:

"Police chiefs across the country support sanctuary cities because they keep crime down

For America’s police chiefs, calls for enhanced enforcement of federal immigration laws bring a particular concern. Chiefs are afraid that such efforts will have the unintended consequence of actually increasing crime and making their communities less safe. The reasons for this can be found in recent incidents from some of the country’s so-called sanctuary cities.

...Police chiefs know that today’s unreported domestic violence or sexual assault or robbery can become tomorrow’s reported homicide. This is a special concern in immigrant communities, where many people fear that cooperating with the police may lead to scrutiny and even deportation. It’s why cities have adopted policies like the one in Los Angeles, and it’s why police departments have invested considerable time and resources to build trust and cooperation with all of their communities, including their immigrant communities. They know that when people step forward because they trust their local police, communities are safer.

For all these reasons, the label of sanctuary city is a misnomer. The term “sanctuary” dates to classical Greece and Rome, and to Christian traditions in the Middle Ages. Back then, sanctuaries provided certain protections to fugitives in churches or other sacred locations. The details changed over time, but sanctuary generally consisted of limited, temporary protections to people suspected of certain types of crimes, and only in narrow circumstances."

Link

I'm curious, and I'm speaking for myself,  which theory was nutty and self serving? That both camps are politically motivated?  The left caters to the Hispanic vote? That the right throws out the "We're protecting Americans" reason? You disagree that they are mostly concerned with obtaining political power? Seriously Hst, leading off with insults and straw men isn't productive. Especially if you want people with an opposing view to consider your perspective.

4 hours ago, dogstarman said:

If the goal were to deport all illegal immigrants "right now", yes, it's a pathetic effort that will not accomplish that goal. 

And while I am sure that there are some knuckle-draggers among ICE and their chain of command all the way to Sessions and Trump, the anti-immigration side realises this too-- that deporting a few hundred at a time on an occasional raid isn't "enough". They know that.

This is about sending a message to cities that self-identify as "sanctuary". The next message will be an attempt to cut off certain federal funds. Meanwhile, I am sure that someone if going through the arrested people with a fine comb to find some "really bad dude" (Trump's words) to hold up as an example. 

The raid was just one move in a long game. If you don't recognize that you're setting yourself up for some very unpleasant surprises in the future.

What exactly is your position? Do you believe the U.S. should have open borders?