Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnpolitics

Buck to the Phillies?

10 posts in this topic

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-next-manager-dusty-wathan-alex-cora-brad-ausmus-20170929.html

He is under contract through 2018, but Showalter is said to be engaged in a power struggle with his boss, general manager Dan Duquette, as the Orioles plot their future course. Showalter has long-standing relationships with many in the current Phillies’ front office. If he — somehow — is fired, Showalter would vault to the top of the Phillies’ list.

IMO I'd rather keep Buck and fire DD. 

5 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-next-manager-dusty-wathan-alex-cora-brad-ausmus-20170929.html

He is under contract through 2018, but Showalter is said to be engaged in a power struggle with his boss, general manager Dan Duquette, as the Orioles plot their future course. Showalter has long-standing relationships with many in the current Phillies’ front office. If he — somehow — is fired, Showalter would vault to the top of the Phillies’ list.

I'd rather fire PA, but that's not an option. In lieu of that...I'd fire both DD and BS and start over.

40 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

The so-called "power struggle" occurred in 2014-2015 when Big Dan was supposedly a candidate for the Blue Jay job. Of course, can't believe anything the Media says. Hillary would be President.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I'd rather fire PA, but that's not an option. In lieu of that...I'd fire both DD and BS and start over.

Trade them both for a cheese steak and pretzel 

32 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Trade them both for a cheese steak and pretzel 

Or a Felix Pie bobble head doll and a truck load of Angry Orchard.

2 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Or a Felix Pie bobble head doll and a truck load of Angry Orchard.

Deal deal deal

7 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Deal deal deal

I knew you couldn't resist the Felix Pie bobble head!!

;)

I believe Angelos made a mistake not letting Duquette go when the Blue Jays wanted him. He handed it like a lawyer would - the contract is paramount - and not like a good manager of people would - if a man has a better chance, let him take it, and don't keep someone working for you who might be bitter because you torpedoed his chance for a better job. If Angelos is smart, and he decides one of the men has to go, it would seem that Duquette is the clear choice. He would be viewed (rightly or wrongly) as less loyal. All that assumes he was really the finalist for the Jays job and the only thing that ruined that for him was Angelos' intransigence.

The other side of it is that Angelos had three GM candidates turn him down; Duquette was his fourth choice. If Angelos feels he will have difficulty replacing Duquette then he will be more loathe to fire him. Candidates came here presumably because they wanted the job. Then they spoke to Angelos and they did not want the job. The likely explanation is that something he told them about the scope and limits of their power made the job unattractive. Unless Angelos' philosophy has changed, he's going to have to go through multiple candidates again before he finds someone who will take the job. He may not wish to do that.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:37 PM, pitbull said:

The so-called "power struggle" occurred in 2014-2015 when Big Dan was supposedly a candidate for the Blue Jay job. Of course, can't believe anything the Media says. Hillary would be President.

Actually, the power struggle (which isn't the best word to describe the friction) was almost immediate. DD hired Rick Peterson, Buck wasn't a believer in Peterson's Bio-mechanical philosophy, and immediately boxed RP into a corner. RP was reduced to a name on the O's website. He was never truly the Dir. of pitching development. Buck had his own ideas about pitching, and his own people to carry out those ideas, guys like Rick Adair. 

There is no good choice between Buck or DD, because neither one of them will be here after next season. Even if Pete saw DD as the better choice, he isn't going to stay in Baltimore. He's proven to the sport that he is a good GM, when he actually has the authority to do his job. As Evil Yoda pointed out, no one wants to work for Peter G. Angelos Esq. 

With all that in mind, if it's a choice between Buck or DD, and the level of success in 2018 is hanging in the balance, I'd take DD. Because Buck is just going to talk Pete into filling open roster spots by overpaying for guys who strike out 200 times a season, and fall well below league avg OBP. Buck has a type.

Oh...and Ubaldo is coming back, if Buck is in charge. And Buck is in charge.   

2018 is likely to be a repeat of 2017.