Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

Ever wonder about the John Harbaugh/Dean Pees connection?

20 posts in this topic

Pees was the defensive coordinator at Miami of Ohio during the 1983 season, when Harbaugh -- now the Ravens' head coach -- played defensive back at the school.

"He was the one coach who thought I could play," Harbaugh said, according to the Ravens' official Web site.

(Pees also coached with Mattison -- now the Ravens' defensive coordinator -- at the Naval Academy in 1987 and 1988.)

Wow. Remember ol "Pops" Mattison? And his son, the O-lineman?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d815fb427/article/harbaugh-hires-pees-his-excollege-coach-to-tutor-ravens-lbs?campaign=tw-articleshare

Now...loyalty is certainly an admirable trait. And John Harbaugh is, if nothing else, loyal. To a fault.

;)

In SB 42 The Pats D Coordinator called for a blitz when the Giants were driving on the 13 yard line with 39 seconds left in the game. Rodney Harrison wanted to check off the blitz because it would leave 5'9 Ellis Hobbs one on one with 6'6 Plexico Burress .

Eli threw the TD pass to win the game.

The Pats D Coordinator was Dean Pees. 

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

In SB 42 The Pats D Coordinator called for a blitz when the Giants were driving on the 13 yard line with 39 seconds left in the game. Rodney Harrison wanted to check off the blitz because it would leave 5'9 Ellis Hobbs one on one with 6'6 Plexico Burress .

People don't realize, if you live by the blitz, die by the blitz.  And remember, the fans are undefeated in SBs. If the blitz get's to Eli as planned, the the DC is a riverboat gambler, not afraid to keep the pressure on! If he calls a base front and bracket coverage on Burris, if it works he's a genius! If it doesn't, he's "playing not to loose", or is  "vanilla" or" playing scared". Oh, also, if Harrison wanted to check out of the blitz, why didn't he? Was he calling the coverages? The safety usually has the green light to check out of a play if he sees something. Sounds like he was right. Do you have a link? I'd like to read it. How was Hobbs doing in the other 59 minutes. ( sorry, I'm a coach defender):P

40 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

People don't realize, if you live by the blitz, die by the blitz.  And remember, the fans are undefeated in SBs. If the blitz get's to Eli as planned, the the DC is a riverboat gambler, not afraid to keep the pressure on! If he calls a base front and bracket coverage on Burris, if it works he's a genius! If it doesn't, he's "playing not to loose", or is  "vanilla" or" playing scared". Oh, also, if Harrison wanted to check out of the blitz, why didn't he? Was he calling the coverages? The safety usually has the green light to check out of a play if he sees something. Sounds like he was right. Do you have a link? I'd like to read it. How was Hobbs doing in the other 59 minutes. ( sorry, I'm a coach defender):P

Coach...I'm glad you're here. In the thread where I saw the link I posted, someone stated that in analyzing Dean Pees's D's, they saw that frequently Pees employs a run D in passing situations. I learned my lesson from our "ZBS" discussions, and make no claim whatsoever as to the validity of the claim of "run D" in "pass D' situations. What the person said, if I understood it correctly, was that Pees doesn't press forward immediately, so there's a slight delay. As a result, the O-line would get the upper hand in pass pro, would it not? Does that make sense to you?

Also, the same poster said that in watching the preseason, Dean Pees D's showed a lot of disguises and variations. In the regular season Dean Pees schemes are more straight forward 1-on-1 predictable and vanilla schemes. I know you've been focusing on the O-line play, but if you get a chance could you possibly check out the D-line play at some point to shed some light on this most interesting matter? Thanks.

2 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Wow. That’s weird. This totally contradicts what ocf has been saying for years. He has been saying that Pees always goes into a prevent defense late in games. Is it possible ocf is wrong yet again?

Could you imagine if we beat the Steelers tomorrow with all the injuries we have against that talented offense with a defensive coordinator who is inept, a head coach who is clueless, an offensive coordinator who is terrible and a GM who doesn’t understand 21st century football. If we even make it close to winning, that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that coaching means hardly anything at all when it comes to Winning.

55 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Hi coach,

Is coaching really not important in the NFL? There are a lot of people who think our head coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, special teams coach, General manager and even the owner are all clueless. How is it possible to win games with such incompetent coaching and ownership? 

I'm seriously clueless about what the point of this thread is. 

28 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

So what else is new, Ken?

;)

The point? That John Harbaugh is very loyal to the only coach that ever thought he was any good. And no matter how bad Pees was/is, he's not going anywhere as long as John Harbaugh is the head coach. (I know. It's so obvious. Which shows just how lame you are. And have always been.)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

3 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

Spike Lee on ESPN 30 for 30 film The Greatest Catch Ever

In the film he interviewed Harrison and discussed the play. Use to be on youtube. 

2 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Hi coach,

Is coaching really not important in the NFL? There are a lot of people who think our head coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, special teams coach, General manager and even the owner are all clueless. How is it possible to win games with such incompetent coaching and ownership? 

116K views7 years ago

The Jim Mora "You Will Never Know" press conference. Definitely a Mora Classic 

This used to pop into my head every time a parent told me what was wrong with _________ play / formation / coverage when I was coaching youth

football.

If it doesn't work, it's the Jim Mora "You don't know" press conference. It's hilarious.

Edited by mrdeltoid

2 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Coach...I'm glad you're here. In the thread where I saw the link I posted, someone stated that in analyzing Dean Pees's D's, they saw that frequently Pees employs a run D in passing situations. I learned my lesson from our "ZBS" discussions, and make no claim whatsoever as to the validity of the claim of "run D" in "pass D' situations. What the person said, if I understood it correctly, was that Pees doesn't press forward immediately, so there's a slight delay. As a result, the O-line would get the upper hand in pass pro, would it not? Does that make sense to you?

Also, the same poster said that in watching the preseason, Dean Pees D's showed a lot of disguises and variations. In the regular season Dean Pees schemes are more straight forward 1-on-1 predictable and vanilla schemes. I know you've been focusing on the O-line play, but if you get a chance could you possibly check out the D-line play at some point to shed some light on this most interesting matter? Thanks.

I don't know whats going to happen with my "football viewing". I told my wife to cancel the DVR on the games until I find out what they are gonna do with this "protest". The protest on foreign soil put me over the edge. I hope they clear the whole thing up. I hate getting a civil rights lecture when I watch football. When I tune into a game , that's the one place I can get away from all that crap. Sorry my friend. I can talk about "football", but I not gonna see anything related to the actual game. I sucks, but I'm a marine before anything else. I know you'll understand.

37 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I don't know whats going to happen with my "football viewing". I told my wife to cancel the DVR on the games until I find out what they are gonna do with this "protest". The protest on foreign soil put me over the edge. I hope they clear the whole thing up. I hate getting a civil rights lecture when I watch football. When I tune into a game , that's the one place I can get away from all that crap. Sorry my friend. I can talk about "football", but I not gonna see anything related to the actual game. I sucks, but I'm a marine before anything else. I know you'll understand.

I was going to PM you. I figured that the reason for your recent absence was along the lines of: "If I don't have anything nice to say, I won't say anything at all" as a result of what happened last week. Then when I saw you posting here I thought maybe I was wrong. I understand completely and hope you have a resolution that you can be at peace with.

2 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I was going to PM you. I figured that the reason for your recent absence was along the lines of: "If I don't have anything nice to say, I won't say anything at all" as a result of what happened last week. Then when I saw you posting here I thought maybe I was wrong. I understand completely and hope you have a resolution that you can be at peace with.

Thanks my friend.

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

116K views7 years ago

The Jim Mora "You Will Never Know" press conference. Definitely a Mora Classic 

This used to pop into my head every time a parent told me what was wrong with _________ play / formation / coverage when I was coaching youth

football.

If it doesn't work, it's the Jim Mora "You don't know" press conference. It's hilarious.

So...basically...we don't know. Right? (We THINK we know...but we don't REALLY know.)

;)

Just now, mrdeltoid said:

Thanks my friend.

Always.

Didn't "Pops" Mattison have a connection with Jack Harbaugh? Many of Jack's associates and friends seemed to land roles with the Ravens early on.

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Exactly. He continues to find new ways to complain about harbaugh. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Didn't "Pops" Mattison have a connection with Jack Harbaugh? Many of Jack's associates and friends seemed to land roles with the Ravens early on.

Greg "Pops" Mattison had a direct connection to John Harbaugh, through Pees. It's in the link.

"Pees also coached with Mattison -- now the Ravens' defensive coordinator -- at the Naval Academy in 1987 and 1988."

(That was another "point" of my posting this. Because a lot of people, such as yourself, think/thought that Harbaugh's choices were related to his father. In fact, they're more related to Harbaugh himself.)

(And then there was Bryan Mattison, Greg's son, who played as a D-lineman in college but the Ravens converted him to O-line (guard/center) but that didn't work out. He didn't last long in the NFL.)