Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

The Unofficial Calvert Hall vs Gilman Thread and Offical GA Rant Thread

159 posts in this topic

As Larry the Cable Guy would say, "...dat der is fun-knee no matta who u r, Git R' Dun..."

On 10/3/2017 at 6:11 PM, GOOCH said:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiid he’s nowhere near elite his feet are terrible but he still a better QB than the second kid they chose to replace your boy from last year 

I have no idea about the other two, and am not about to go back and look in their cases, but I never said he was elite.  He has played well and not made too many mistakes.  As a matter of fact, he received the Channel 45 player of the week award last week.  I am prepared for the normal barrage of "horrible hs sports coverage", "what do they know", much like when a national sports site ranks a local team lower than their partisans think they should be, thus being dismissed, but I am sure performance has something to do with it.  Calvert Hall's defense in elite and I will defend that with anyone, 53 points in 6 games, including #1 and #3 in the state.

Would they have been better with Emmett Avery?  Don't know for sure.  He had mixed results in the Spalding game last year.  What I do recall about his situation is this, which may explain a bit.  Last year, on Thanksgiving, his father went to the front row of M&T Bank stadium screaming at the CHC bench to talk to one of the coaches, and stated his son was not returning to Calvert Hall next (this) year.  I wonder if this was just a "moment" or if this was the attitude all the time.  Coaches don't need 40 parents screaming at them telling them their kids should be playing every down.

12 minutes ago, George VII said:

Would they have been better with Emmett Avery?  Don't know for sure.  He had mixed results in the Spalding game last year.

The only thing I know about the Avery - Spalding game of last year is CHC alternated QBs darn near every series from what I recall from the game video.  I had NEVER seen that done before.  That alone was crazy to a vamp...

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, George VII said:

I have no idea about the other two, and am not about to go back and look in their cases, but I never said he was elite.  He has played well and not made too many mistakes.  As a matter of fact, he received the Channel 45 player of the week award last week.  I am prepared for the normal barrage of "horrible hs sports coverage", "what do they know", much like when a national sports site ranks a local team lower than their partisans think they should be, thus being dismissed, but I am sure performance has something to do with it.  Calvert Hall's defense in elite and I will defend that with anyone, 53 points in 6 games, including #1 and #3 in the state.

Would they have been better with Emmett Avery?  Don't know for sure.  He had mixed results in the Spalding game last year.  What I do recall about his situation is this, which may explain a bit.  Last year, on Thanksgiving, his father went to the front row of M&T Bank stadium screaming at the CHC bench to talk to one of the coaches, and stated his son was not returning to Calvert Hall next (this) year.  I wonder if this was just a "moment" or if this was the attitude all the time.  Coaches don't need 40 parents screaming at them telling them their kids should be playing every down.

Cole Herbert was anointed to be the heir apparent after Avery was SCREWED by not playing in the Turkey Bowl blowout until very late in the 2016 game.  It took CHC’s Sr QB Brooks to have the game of his life against a very bad Loyola team to even equal Avery’s season long stats.  

Too add insult to injury, CHC’s coaches gave Channel 2’s game announcers false season stats for the Sr QB when Avery’s numbers were better across the board in less playing time.

Herbert then promptly lost the starting job at QB early this season.  More on Herbert later.  I already mentioned #18 getting the Faux45 Player of the Week.  My issue is he shows up against weaker teams but folds when talented teams bring the heat.  Against Wise and SFA #18 wilted against both defenses.  Avery would have fared better with his mobility and decision making.  

We’ll see how #18 does today at Gilman.  If Gilman is who we think are and #18 is who you think he is, the CHC QB will probably throw for 250+ yards and 3 TDs.  Btw, I love Cole Herbert at WR.  Kid is tough, is a big target, runs good routes, has soft hands and is very athletic.  He’s a great complement to #1 and #7.

Edited by TheGuru

3 hours ago, George VII said:

Your right they don’t need 40 parents screaming at them but history has shown that to be the norm at the Hall too many good ole boys like yourself with their hands in the pot thats why y’all get mediocre results

1 hour ago, GOOCH said:

Your right they don’t need 40 parents screaming at them but history has shown that to be the norm at the Hall too many good ole boys like yourself with their hands in the pot thats why y’all get mediocre results

You have no idea of who I am, or if I have any connection to the football program.  I feel sorry for people like you and certain others that post here with the attitude of if you don't win the championship, you are worthless, or mediocre.  Do you even realize what it takes to compete at the MIAA A Conference level?  You are probably better than 90% of the schools in the state (I am sure DW will correct me).  There is more to being part of a team than winning every game by 50 points.  Do I want Calvert Hall to win every game? Yes, but if you have to sell your soul to do it, I hope they don't.  How are things now at Loyola now that they don't have a winning football team?  Have the other aspects of the school suffered?  Academics, other activities?  No they haven't.  If you think the way to run a football team is the way Biff does it then you are going to have kids who don't want to play, knowing that all their hard effort can be for naught when another kid transfers in. I would be much happier rooting for an 0-10 Calvert Hall team than the mercenaries at St.Frances, especially knowing that the standard of offering an education to area disadvantaged kids will suffer when seats in the classroom are replaced with kids who are on their 3rd school in 4 years.

5 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Cole Herbert was anointed to be the heir apparent after Avery was SCREWED by not playing in the Turkey Bowl blowout until very late in the 2016 game.  It took CHC’s Sr QB Brooks to have the game of his life against a very bad Loyola team to even equal Avery’s season long stats.  

Too add insult to injury, CHC’s coaches gave Channel 2’s game announcers false season stats for the Sr QB when Avery’s numbers were better across the board in less playing time.

Herbert then promptly lost the starting job at QB early this season.  More on Herbert later.  I already mentioned #18 getting the Faux45 Player of the Week.  My issue is he shows up against weaker teams but folds when talented teams bring the heat.  Against Wise and SFA #18 wilted against both defenses.  Avery would have fared better with his mobility and decision making.  

We’ll see how #18 does today at Gilman.  If Gilman is who we think are and #18 is who you think he is, the CHC QB will probably throw for 250+ yards and 3 TDs.  Btw, I love Cole Herbert at WR.  Kid is tough, is a big target, runs good routes, has soft hands and is very athletic.  He’s a great complement to #1 and #7.

I was the CHC QB/passing coordinator during the offseason and had to step down due to my new job.  No one had been annointed as the "starter" at any point during my brief tenure from December through July and I can confidently say no one had been annointed the starter in August.  In fact, it was quite the opposite.  

I don't want to be involved in the silly debate but I want to correct any implication that anyone was handed anything.  I also should point out that one of the kid ls being scrutinized  has a scholarship to North Carolina, a top academic institution and the other is among the top students At CHC and I am sure will continue his education and football career at an Ivy level college.  Both have been intrical components of CHC's strong season. Both are just great young men to be around and it saddens me to see adults ripping them apart when all they are doing is their best.  Neither is Baker Mayfield and neither wants to be Baker Mayfield.  Give the kids a break.  

I was hoping that someone else would be posting the scores today since I have to give updates for people that can't make it. I don't know if people are just caught in traffic or what but it is now 7 to 7 with 9 minutes left in the 1st half. Gilman's defense is playing well against the run but they don't seem able to stop the pass. Calvert Hall scored around 35 yd touchdown pass from Campbell to Chris Cooper #1. As I am writing Gilman scores on a long screen pass, 14-7 

So much for a defensive game. After an Isaiah Watson interception Calvert Hall scores on a run by Sean Tucker. It's now 14-14.

Posted (edited)

Madison scores with 1:01 left in first half.  21-14 Gilman.

Edited by George VII
Change score

5 minutes ago, George VII said:

So much for a defensive game. After an Isaiah Watson interception Calvert Hall scores on a run by Sean Tucker. It's now 14-14.

Gilmans exposing your defense Georgie 

does anyone have a link to watch the game I have a hour before I go to my boys game

Kind of makes you wonder how they didn't score more in their other games.

4 minutes ago, CHCCAPTAIN87 said:

does anyone have a link to watch the game I have a hour before I go to my boys game

I am guessing on Greyhound TV, but I don't have a link. 

5 minutes ago, George VII said:

I am guessing on Greyhound TV, but I don't have a link. 

I'll give it a try thanks George

CH 13, yard TD, 28-21 Gilman, 3:26 left in the 3rd quarter.

3rd and 17, Calvert Hall 25 yard run, Sean Tucker, 28-28. Booker is great, but since CH has started running to the left,  they are having success.

Gilman scores with 34.8 seconds left in regulation.  35-28.

CHC must have looked at the state AP poll this week and got the impression that they were good.