Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evil Yoda

Fox Sports won't air anthems before game

13 posts in this topic

Fox Sports says that following the London game this morning (several knelt, but nowhere near the numbers last week), it will not air the anthem ahead of the game. Doubtless the NFL requested this to calm things down. It seems a touch cowardly of them, to me.

Article

26 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Fox Sports says that following the London game this morning (several knelt, but nowhere near the numbers last week), it will not air the anthem ahead of the game. Doubtless the NFL requested this to calm things down. It seems a touch cowardly of them, to me.

Article

Really cowardly. Just try to avoid the whole thing as if it would go away.

How many times did they air it over the past 5-10 years?  The same with CBS? 

Zero?  A handful? 

We really don't know.  We've avoided the pregame shows for at least five years, and turn the TV on around 12:55.  Seems they finish the pregame, show a couple of commercials, and then it's to the stadium, a few comments and then kickoff.

32 minutes ago, ChippewaJoe said:

Zero?  A handful? 

We really don't know.  We've avoided the pregame shows for at least five years, and turn the TV on around 12:55.  Seems they finish the pregame, show a couple of commercials, and then it's to the stadium, a few comments and then kickoff.

I don't know. The thing that sticks out are the fly overs and whoever happens to be singing the National Anthem at the time. I thought it was pretty standard, but I never really paid that much attention to it.

7 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I don't know. The thing that sticks out are the fly overs and whoever happens to be singing the National Anthem at the time. I thought it was pretty standard, but I never really paid that much attention to it.

How long have you watched football on TV .??

You only saw or heard the anthem before playoff or championship games when they had performers. You didn't see fly overs either.

Its just the networks trying to grab more viewers with controversy.

8 hours ago, ChippewaJoe said:

Zero?  A handful? 

You didn't since most were done before the network went to the stadium. Now because the controversy will draw viewers they show it to catch players.

I remember reading somewhere that the military pays them for those displays. (When people found out and shamed they league they stopped charging or gave the money back or something.) If the military paid/pays for those displays then it has some objective, probably recruitment but maybe also patriotism - the false kind Trump wants, where you cheer on the government whatever it does. Now it has bit the league in a tender spot. It's hard to have much sympathy for them. And it's hard to be outraged at "disrespect" shown to the flag when the entire thing is a commercial transaction. Few things cheapen nobility more than commerce.

16 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I remember reading somewhere that the military pays them for those displays. (When people found out and shamed they league they stopped charging or gave the money back or something.) If the military paid/pays for those displays then it has some objective, probably recruitment but maybe also patriotism - the false kind Trump wants, where you cheer on the government whatever it does. Now it has bit the league in a tender spot. It's hard to have much sympathy for them. And it's hard to be outraged at "disrespect" shown to the flag when the entire thing is a commercial transaction. Few things cheapen nobility more than commerce.

If you went to games you see them. Most games on TV tune in after all that. 

The DoD used this for recruitment.

Said it before, but prior to Trump bloviating about the issue, I'd guess MAYBE 1% to 3% of NFL players were choosing to use the anthem as a statement platform. Dude opens his mouth, media jumps all over it, and you literally have a manufactured (or at minimum HIGHLY OVEREXAGGERATED) issue that somehow became the top storyline in the NFL. Suddenly everybody has to take a side and let world know how they feel about an issue that 2 days prior nobody gave a second thought. It's a dangerous slope we're on these days...

1 hour ago, Ravens2006 said:

Said it before, but prior to Trump bloviating about the issue, I'd guess MAYBE 1% to 3% of NFL players were choosing to use the anthem as a statement platform.

It was a couple of players, at most, per game. Then Trump saw something he could turn into red meat for his stupids (there's a subset of Trump voters who really are heartbreakingly stupid), and so he ran his mouth, leaving the players will very little choice except to react the way they did. He's got what Mom used to call "rat cunning". It wasn't a compliment.

2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

It was a couple of players, at most, per game. Then Trump saw something he could turn into red meat for his stupids (there's a subset of Trump voters who really are heartbreakingly stupid), and so he ran his mouth, leaving the players will very little choice except to react the way they did. He's got what Mom used to call "rat cunning". It wasn't a compliment.

Mom Yoda is wise.

;)

(And somewhat sadly...I went riding with one of my motorcycle buddies today and he was a big Trump supporter. I asked him if he had any regrets and he said, defiantly, "NO". I just shook my head.) :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Mom Yoda is wise.

;)

(And somewhat sadly...I went riding with one of my motorcycle buddies today and he was a big Trump supporter. I asked him if he had any regrets and he said, defiantly, "NO". I just shook my head.) :rolleyes:

I did vote for Trump and yes, I do regret it.  I really thought this Country needed change and he was the man to accomplish that and all we've gotten is a caricature of pure parody.  He's an embarrassment and has virtually no control over his impulses.  I thought this Country was a laughing stock to the world when Obama was in office but Trump takes it to a level(and a potentially dangerous one) I never thought possible by a President.  So there's my one and only political comment on the Ravens board. 

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

I did vote for Trump and yes, I do regret it.  I really thought this Country needed change and he was the man to accomplish that and all we've gotten is a caricature of pure parody.  He's an embarrassment and has virtually no control over his impulses.  I thought this Country was a laughing stock to the world when Obama was in office but Trump takes it to a level(and a potentially dangerous one) I never thought possible by a President.  So there's my one and only political comment on the Ravens board. 

Spot on. I also voted for Trump because I wanted a change. What a wacko Trump turned out to be. I thought he'd be a change of pace since he's the "Anti-Politician". I didn't realize he was "Anti-Sane". So I was curious to see if my friend had changed his mind. He hadn't. It was alarming.