Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
songfourone

'You Should Be Outraged,' Air Force Academy Head Tells Cadets About Racism On Campus

41 posts in this topic

After racial slurs were scrawled outside black students' doors at the U.S. Air Force Academy's preparatory school, Superintendent Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria gathered all 4,000 cadets in a hall Thursday so they could hear one message: Treat people with dignity and respect — or get out.

"That kind of behavior has no place at the prep school, it has no place at USAFA, and it has no place in the United States Air Force," Silveria said, in a speech that has found an enthusiastic reception after it was recorded and published online. "You should be outraged not only as an airman, but as a human being."

Speaking to a crowd of some 5,500 people that included faculty, coaches, airstrip personnel and senior officers and staff of the 10th Air Base Wing that includes the academy, Silveria urged them not to let their institution be taken away from them.

"The appropriate response for horrible language and horrible ideas — the appropriate response is a better idea," Silveria said. "So that's why I'm here. That's why all these people are here."

Both the academy and the Air Force amplified Silveria's message through videos and tweets drawing on his speech.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/29/554458065/you-should-be-outraged-air-force-academy-head-tells-cadets-about-racism-on-campu

He really needs to speak to their parents also.  It's obvious by their disgusting behavior that the parent condones and speak freely using their racist speech.  

35 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

He really needs to speak to their parents also.  It's obvious by their disgusting behavior that the parent condones and speak freely using their racist speech.  

That is a little impractical since all the cadets don't live in Colorado.  He could send letters out.  

But it is pure speculation what goes on in the homes of cadets.  To castigate all parents as racists (black parents too?) would be as bad as the original sin.  

The general gave a powerful and positive speech. Missing, however, was any reference to religion-based discrimination.  The Air Force Academy has had issues with fundamentalist Christians in leadership trying to impose their beliefs on cadets of other faiths and non-believers. 

until the perp is caught and identified a hoax is equally plausible

wonder if the huffin puffin general will be equally scandalized if that turns out to be the case

4 minutes ago, boink said:

until the perp is caught and identified a hoax is equally plausible

wonder if the huffin puffin general will be equally scandalized if that turns out to be the case

High probability of a hoax.

6 minutes ago, Manny said:

is it still "racist" if it turns out be be a hoax?

37 minutes ago, jdsample said:

That is a little impractical since all the cadets don't live in Colorado.  He could send letters out.  

But it is pure speculation what goes on in the homes of cadets.  To castigate all parents as racists (black parents too?) would be as bad as the original sin.  

Did the black kids write those things?

12 minutes ago, Manny said:

Why is it a high probability?

5 hours ago, boink said:

is it still "racist" if it turns out be be a hoax?

He or she should be punished accordingly. All too often, the demands for blood immediately dissipate.

5 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Why is it a high probability?

We've been through this rodeo a time or two.

6 hours ago, Manny said:

Certainly a good thing you aren't the head of the AirForce Academy.

;)

6 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Did the black kids write those things?

I doubt it.  Should the sup send out letters to only one race?

1 hour ago, Manny said:

We've been through this rodeo a time or two.

When?

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, ms maggie said:

When?

I guess CNN and MSNBC never do the follow-up story after working people like you into an outrage.

http://www.fakehatecrimes.org/

Edited by Manny

2 hours ago, songfourone said:

One could easily assume the person who links http://fakehatecrimes.org has their finger on the pulse....:lol:

Use google. There are more examples not documented on this site. I know you people would prefer fake hate crimes be censored and the guilty party excused.

Just now, Manny said:

Use google. There are more examples not documented on this site. I know you people would prefer fake hate crimes be censored and the guilty party excused.

"You people..."

4 minutes ago, songfourone said:

"You people..."

I have explained my use of this term dozens of times on this forum.

Just now, Manny said:

Uh huh.

7 minutes ago, Manny said:

Maybe instead say you type of people ..???

But then that would be claimed the same.

Still not proven to be a 'hoax'.

Some will stand for nothing and fall for anything.

Trump likes them uneducated.

:D

This hasn't even been proven a hoax and yet the usual suspects are all about hoax this and hoax that... funny how y'all were completely missing from the most recent hoax thread.  Actually not funny at all, but predictable since it wasn't the right kind of hoax

On 10/1/2017 at 3:52 PM, Manny said:

I agree, but I bet the perp is never identified. 

9 hours ago, Manny said:

Nothing wrong with the phrase in that context.  The complainer is ignorant and doesn't understand context.