Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evil Yoda

Bancells to retire following 2017 campaign

5 posts in this topic

Orioles trainer Richie Bancells pulling the pin after 41 years with the whole organization, 34 with the Orioles, and 30 as the head trainer. The Orioles will consider internal candidates.

(Just skip over the early paragraphs about Davis. He's not retiring. Well, he plays like he has, but he'll be back to steal paychecks again in '18 :) )

I don't follow all of baseball, so I don't know where the O's rank, in term of injuries. But it seems like O's players have a disproportionate number of injuries like pulled muscles, obliques, etc. Perhaps Richie has fallen behind the times, in terms of following the players' training habits, and keeping them from overdoing it in the gym.Chris Davis take ~300 swings a day. That's nonsense. It's too much, and it's the major contributor to injuries, like oblique strains.   

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I don't follow all of baseball, so I don't know where the O's rank, in term of injuries. But it seems like O's players have a disproportionate number of injuries like pulled muscles, obliques, etc. Perhaps Richie has fallen behind the times, in terms of following the players' training habits, and keeping them from overdoing it in the gym.Chris Davis take ~300 swings a day. That's nonsense. It's too much, and it's the major contributor to injuries, like oblique strains.   

Not to mention that it sure isn't helping him at the plate, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Not to mention that it sure isn't helping him at the plate, that's for sure.

A few years ago, the Ripken Bros. had an afternoon radio show in XM. I remember a particular show where the topic of batting practice came up. Billy was the guy who really ran the show. But on this topic, Cal completely took over. He mentioned his approach to BP during the season. He said that he (and all players in general) didn't do much with BP, as the season developed. Because your muscle memory was already set. And the explosiveness of swings, presented so many opportunities to injure yourself. Then he mentioned today's game. He specifically mentioned Ortiz and Davis. He said guys go down to the underground cages, and take BP during the game.

I can't remember the numbers Cal threw out. But the amount of daily swings, taken during his career/era, vs the number that guys take today, was so different. Without the actual figures, the best way I can think to really make the point, is to use Babe Ruth. The number of swings in Cal's era, was like the number of HRs before/after Ruth became an every day player. The term "oblique injury" didn't exist in Cal's day. 

I estimate that a player will normally take ~20 swings during a game. I average 5 swings per AB, and usually 4 ABs a game. Estimating for especially prolonged ABs, that works out to 30 swings a game. That means Davis is taking 270 additional swings, each day. it seems to me that would tire out a player.  

51 minutes ago, weird-O said:

A few years ago, the Ripken Bros. had an afternoon radio show in XM. I remember a particular show where the topic of batting practice came up. Billy was the guy who really ran the show. But on this topic, Cal completely took over. He mentioned his approach to BP during the season. He said that he (and all players in general) didn't do much with BP, as the season developed. Because your muscle memory was already set. And the explosiveness of swings, presented so many opportunities to injure yourself. Then he mentioned today's game. He specifically mentioned Ortiz and Davis. He said guys go down to the underground cages, and take BP during the game.

I can't remember the numbers Cal threw out. But the amount of daily swings, taken during his career/era, vs the number that guys take today, was so different. Without the actual figures, the best way I can think to really make the point, is to use Babe Ruth. The number of swings in Cal's era, was like the number of HRs before/after Ruth became an every day player. The term "oblique injury" didn't exist in Cal's day. 

I estimate that a player will normally take ~20 swings during a game. I average 5 swings per AB, and usually 4 ABs a game. Estimating for especially prolonged ABs, that works out to 30 swings a game. That means Davis is taking 270 additional swings, each day. it seems to me that would tire out a player.  

Absolutely. Good stuff!