Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RavensGrrl

Alex Collins

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I felt like in Sunday's game they'd gotten away from the running game and it would eventually come back and bite them. It, along with a lot of other things, did.

That was their MO all last year and it's carrying over into 2017.  If it was my offense, I'd have West AND Collins in the backfield at all times.  And when West was tired, bring in Allen.  Boyle would be the permanent blocking tight end with Watson moving over to wideout, alternating with Maclin and then have Wallace as the every down wide receiver.  Since the OL is a passing protecting sieve, having in Boyle in there all the time and an extra blocking back would alleviate some of the pressure, not to mention having a lead blocking back on running plays.  If you're worried about Boyle staying healthy by playing so much, put in another lineman on the plays he's out.  And in case you're wondering, that puts Perriman and Campanaro on the bench.  I'd have Perriman returning kick offs and Campanaro punts.  If they don't like it, too bad.  I would run the ball a minimum of 25-30 times a game and just put Flacco in the shotgun formation on obvious passing downs.  It wouldn't be exciting to watch but with the talent(or lack of) that they have assembled, I think it gives them the best chance to succeed.  

17 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

That was their MO all last year and it's carrying over into 2017.  If it was my offense, I'd have West AND Collins in the backfield at all times.  And when West was tired, bring in Allen.  Boyle would be the permanent blocking tight end with Watson moving over to wideout, alternating with Maclin and then have Wallace as the every down wide receiver.  Since the OL is a passing protecting sieve, having in Boyle in there all the time and an extra blocking back would alleviate some of the pressure, not to mention having a lead blocking back on running plays.  If you're worried about Boyle staying healthy by playing so much, put in another lineman on the plays he's out.  And in case you're wondering, that puts Perriman and Campanaro on the bench.  I'd have Perriman returning kick offs and Campanaro punts.  If they don't like it, too bad.  I would run the ball a minimum of 25-30 times a game and just put Flacco in the shotgun formation on obvious passing downs.  It wouldn't be exciting to watch but with the talent(or lack of) that they have assembled, I think it gives them the best chance to succeed.  

Now...don't MAKE me have to start calling you "coach" too.

;)

16 hours ago, jamesdean said:

Even more so than usual.  When you're quarterback's getting crushed trying to throw and you have receivers who can't catch the ball, it's time to just hand the keys over to running attack.  Look for it to be emphasized BIG TIME in Oakland.  I know it keeps you in the basement of passing stats but I'd rather win games. 

We should just run all 3 downs and then figure out 4th down- punt or if we're close to a 1st down and it makes sense, run again. Whats the worst that can happen? We're already the worst offense in the league. At least this way we can eat up more clock. The other benefit is we may begin to wear out the d-line. Maybe every 3rd or 4th drive we play action pass. I think a ratio of 80% runs to 20% pass could help. Probably still don't win the game, but at least we build an identity and give our Defense a chance to maybe close a game or 2 out if things bounce our way.

2 hours ago, poefolks said:

We should just run all 3 downs and then figure out 4th down- punt or if we're close to a 1st down and it makes sense, run again. Whats the worst that can happen? We're already the worst offense in the league. At least this way we can eat up more clock. The other benefit is we may begin to wear out the d-line. Maybe every 3rd or 4th drive we play action pass. I think a ratio of 80% runs to 20% pass could help. Probably still don't win the game, but at least we build an identity and give our Defense a chance to maybe close a game or 2 out if things bounce our way.

If only those were the words of John Harbaugh. (LOL)  I like how you think! ;)

I know this team has been through countless OC's but how many more times can you try to draw water from a dry well with Mornhinweg?  I have a feeling he'll be on his way out with another putrid performance in Oakland.  I get that he's a bit handicapped because of the condition of the OL but he obviously has no clue on what to do with the situation.  So, before this season goes into a full swan dive, I think they need someone in there that can get a lot more out of what they have.  

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

I know this team has been through countless OC's but how many more times can you try to draw water from a dry well with Mornhinweg?  I have a feeling he'll be on his way out with another putrid performance in Oakland.  I get that he's a bit handicapped because of the condition of the OL but he obviously has no clue on what to do with the situation.  So, before this season goes into a full swan dive, I think they need someone in there that can get a lot more out of what they have.  

Greg Roman is waiting in the wings.