Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Your last place Orioles

36 posts in this topic

Anyone think Big Dan will make changes in the off-season or will he continue to make excuses? "This pitching staff had a track record."

Just a disgraceful team.  Probably played the worst in the majors in Sept.  

They are not the team the fans deserve. But they are the team Mr. Angelos deserves.

23 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Why did I know this thread was coming? :rolleyes:

You've been here for more than 5 minutes

This team reminds me of all those teams 4-5 years ago that would implode in August...same thing. The Orioles have done this like 4-5 times in the last 10 years. Didn't think I would ever see this again under Buck but I think he and Dan should go since we can't fire Angelos. Someone new has to come in so that we can hit reset without these two trying to bet house money on next year. They need to be willing to trade and/or extend some key players - not just thinking this group is going to make it happen. I think they should trade Machado mainly because of that dumb contract with Davis and trade Adam Jones and extend Schoop and get pitching. Hays, Mancini and Sisco at least add some youth to this team. 

The buy the bats and grow the arms would have worked at some level if DD did not give all the arms away for nothing. There have to be about 8-10 ex-Orioles farm players now on major league rosters for other teams with Brewers leading. It's completely embarrassing as that would have been the difference most likely for the Orioles this year. 

2 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Why did I know this thread was coming? :rolleyes:

?????

I read that article. I totally understand his position. He's leaving next Oct, why rebuild? It stinks for us, because we will be here next Oct. We'll watch Manny walk away, and have nothing to show for it. Britton isn't going to get you much, in a trade. AJ is still steady at the plate, but his D is deteriorating. He's 32 and next season will be the last of his prime years. I don't see much of a trade return for him. As the Cap't, he's more valuable to the O's, than the piece(s) they'd get in return for him. Buck won't do it, but AJ should be the opening day RFer in 2018. It looks like the O's have a new core of guys in place, that will still be here in 2019. But without a starting rotation, all those guys can do is play for their first big contract. Because they won't be playing for the post season.   

Adam should have been the starting RF this season.

Maybe last season.

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Adam should have been the starting RF this season.

Maybe last season.

Yeah. And as for his "steadiness" at the plate...while I normally agree with Weird-O...all I see is a steadiness at swinging at balls in the dirt. And solo HRs. I don't think AJ is clutch any more, despite his early stats with RISP. And if a trade could be had I'd jump at it. But hey...that's just me.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

Jones has an ego and that ego will prevent any outfield move even if it is for the betterment of the team

1 hour ago, LesterFisher said:

Jones has an ego and that ego will prevent any outfield move even if it is for the betterment of the team

Jones is going to be meet with Angelos to let him know that both the hitters and the pitchers need more command of the strike zone.  After about an hour, Jones will leave and start his off season of blowing bubbles and smacking shills. ;)

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

Jones is going to be meet with Angelos to let him know that both the hitters and the pitchers need more command of the strike zone.  After about an hour, Jones will leave and start his off season of blowing bubbles and smacking shills. ;)

What I've never been able to figure out is how he manages to both chew gum/blow bubbles, AND eat sunflower seeds -- AT THE SAME TIME!!! (I would think the sunflower seeds would get all stuck into the bubble gum, wouldn't you? And don't say he doesn't do it. I've SEEN him do it! At least once.)

;)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

What I've never been able to figure out is how he manages to both chew gum/blow bubbles, AND eat sunflower seeds -- AT THE SAME TIME!!! (I would think the sunflower seeds would get all stuck into the bubble gum, wouldn't you? And don't say he doesn't do it. I've SEEN him do it! At least once.)

;)

Well, if he's got all of that on his mind, it's no wonder he's swinging a 2 iron off the ground. 

18 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

Well, if he's got all of that on his mind, it's no wonder he's swinging a 2 iron off the ground. 

LOL. Yeah. At least once I saw him at the plate, chewing away on his gum (not blowing bubbles, though) and spitting out seed husks. I thought: How does he keep it all straight up there at the plate? (Answer: He doesn't.)

;)

LOL. Yeah. At least once I saw him at the plate, chewing away on his gum (not blowing bubbles, though) and spitting out seed husks. I thought: How does he keep it all straight up there at the plate? (Answer: He doesn't.)

;)

I've said it once, I'll say it a hundred times...it still amazes me any pitcher throws Jones a fastball or anywhere near the plate.  If I was a pitcher, I'd say, "all you're getting is junk, more junk and slower the better.  None if will be anywhere near the strikezone and if you want to walk 4 times, more power to you."  Jones, being Jones, would just as soon try to blow a bubble as big as Floyd Rayford before he'll take 4 walks. 

2 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

I've said it once, I'll say it a hundred times...it still amazes me any pitcher throws Jones a fastball or anywhere near the plate.  If I was a pitcher, I'd say, "all you're getting is junk, more junk and slower the better.  None if will be anywhere near the strikezone and if you want to walk 4 times, more power to you."  Jones, being Jones, would just as soon try to blow a bubble as big as Floyd Rayford before he'll take 4 walks. 

I've said that any pitcher who throws Jones fast stuff in the strike zone should be summarily FIRED!

I've said that any pitcher who throws Jones fast stuff in the strike zone should be summarily FIRED!

Well, it's a good thing these pitchers do.  Otherwise, he'd hit .200 with 200 strikeouts. 

Posted (edited)

When he misses those low and away pitches, he looks really bad. So it makes it look like an easy susceptibility to exploit. But if you really pay attention, many times he drives those same pitches. Up until a couple of seasons ago, I held the same opinion as you guys. Why in the wide, wide world of sports would anyone ever throw anything but a low and away pitch to AJ? But I was watching a game, and I realized he had taken one of those pitches, and drove it hard to the gap. As sports fans, the blown plays, bad AB, etc, tend to stand out more to us, than a line drive to the gap. I can't speak for this season, I cut the cord in mid-May, and only saw a couple handful of games after that. So it's possible that his bat speed has declined, and he didn't regularly get to those pitches. But his stats are still close to his usual career numbers. His HRs were down, but his doubles were way up. The day will come when AJ's bat slows down, and he won't be able to get to that pitch. But until then, it really isn't as big of a weakness as it appears. If he was that vulnerable to that pitch, I think it would be the only offering he would see.

Dottie

Edited by weird-O

I seriously feel the only reason he hit those pitches when he did was by pure accident....it's not in his nature to hit the other way ever

7 hours ago, weird-O said:

I read that article. I totally understand his position. He's leaving next Oct, why rebuild? It stinks for us, because we will be here next Oct. We'll watch Manny walk away, and have nothing to show for it. Britton isn't going to get you much, in a trade. AJ is still steady at the plate, but his D is deteriorating. He's 32 and next season will be the last of his prime years. I don't see much of a trade return for him. As the Cap't, he's more valuable to the O's, than the piece(s) they'd get in return for him. Buck won't do it, but AJ should be the opening day RFer in 2018. It looks like the O's have a new core of guys in place, that will still be here in 2019. But without a starting rotation, all those guys can do is play for their first big contract. Because they won't be playing for the post season.   

Browsing the upcoming free agents, there seem to be options to fix that. Whether DD signs two of those options(which should be a minimum) or not is another thing. I think Bundy, Gausman, and two of the available free agent SPs makes for a decent rotation, definitely a competing one. There are some options available this off season that don't have to break the bank

23 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Browsing the upcoming free agents, there seem to be options to fix that. Whether DD signs two of those options(which should be a minimum) or not is another thing. I think Bundy, Gausman, and two of the available free agent SPs makes for a decent rotation, definitely a competing one. There are some options available this off season that don't have to break the bank

I agree. I like this class of free agents. There are more than a few opportunities for the Orioles if they are inclined to spend their money.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

When he misses those low and away pitches, he looks really bad. So it makes it look like an easy susceptibility to exploit. But if you really pay attention, many times he drives those same pitches. Up until a couple of seasons ago, I held the same opinion as you guys. Why in the wide, wide world of sports would anyone ever throw anything but a low and away pitch to AJ? But I was watching a game, and I realized he had taken one of those pitches, and drove it hard to the gap. As sports fans, the blown plays, bad AB, etc, tend to stand out more to us, than a line drive to the gap. I can't speak for this season, I cut the cord in mid-May, and only saw a couple handful of games after that. So it's possible that his bat speed has declined, and he didn't regularly get to those pitches. But his stats are still close to his usual career numbers. His HRs were down, but his doubles were way up. The day will come when AJ's bat slows down, and he won't be able to get to that pitch. But until then, it really isn't as big of a weakness as it appears. If he was that vulnerable to that pitch, I think it would be the only offering he would see.

Dottie

Well...all I can say is this year, he was swinging at pitches that were simply unhittable by anybody.

2 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Well...all I can say is this year, he was swinging at pitches that were simply unhittable by anybody.

I always said that if Jones could lay off bad pitches, he'd be a .320 hitter.  And I still think that.