themamba

themamba's MPSSAA 2017 Football Report

831 posts in this topic

themamba's MPSSAA All-State 1st Team - Offense

RB David Bailey (North Caroline) 6'1 235 SR - The Bayside Player of the Year led the MPSSAA in touchdowns, and touchdowns per game, with 35 in 11 games. Bailey also led the MPSSAA In yards per carry, at an astounding rate of 13.9 yards per haul.

The Boston College commit led the Bulldogs to a 10-0 regular season, and finished the season scoring 35 times on 114 carries, rushing for 1,582 yards, which ranked 7th in the MPSSAA. 

Bailey rushed for 247 yards and 3 touchdowns on just 8 carries v JM Bennett, adding 3 receptions for 90 yards and 2 TDs. His 5 scores were from 43, 85, 43, 25, and 47 yards. 11 touches, 337 yards, 5 TDs.

Bailey scored 3 or more touchdowns in 9 of 11 games. Against Parkside, Bailey rushed for 166 yards and 4 TDs on 11 carries. Versus Queen Anne's, Bailey rushed for 219 yards and 3 TDs on just 9 carries. Bailey scored 4 times and rushed for 130 yards on only 5 carries v Kent County.

RB Devin Dawkins (Howard) 5'10 170 JR - Dawkins led the Lions to another regional title, scoring 5 different ways, among his 31 touchdowns. Dawkins, who rushed for 27 TDs, also scored 3 touchdowns on kick returns, 2 punt and one kickoff,  and added 1 receiving touchdown.

Dawkins rushed for 1,524 yards on 196 carries, giving him 3,391 yards over the last 2 seasons, totaling 56 touchdowns in 25 games. Dawkins ranked 10th in the MPSSAA in yardage, 3rd in rushing touchdowns, and 3rd in overall touchdowns. Dawkins added 46 tackles and 2 interceptions on the other side of the ball.

Dawkins shined in the playoffs, rushing for 138 yards and 2 touchdowns on 24 carries v Sherwood, adding a 76 yard kickoff return for a score. The next week, in the regional final, Dawkins rushed for 167 yards and 2 scores on 28 carries v Paint Branch, while adding a punt return for a score. In the state semifinal loss to Wise, Dawkins rushed for 117 yards.

Dawkins is less than 1,200 rushing yards from passing Mike Campanaro for #2 all-time on the HoCo rushing yards list, and needs just over 1,700 yards to surpass Rafael Wall's all-time mark of 5,095 yards. Dawkins will have to compete with Glenelg's Wande Owens for Wall's top spot, as Owens two playoff performances as a freshman put Owens in front, for now.

RB Troy Banks (Fort Hill) 5'9 200 SR - Banks helped lead the Sentinels to the state final, finishing 5th in the MPSSAA in rushing yards, and 5th in rushing touchdowns.

Banks finished the season with 1,615 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns on 203 carries. Banks finished his Sentinels career with 2,874 rushing yards and 46 TDs.

Banks, who ran for 189 yards and 4 TDs on 25 carries in the 2016 title game versus Havre de Grace, came up big again in the title game, despite the loss, rushing for 153 yards and a touchdown on 33 carries v Dunbar.

In the two games v arch rival Allegany this season, Banks rushed for 288 yards and 4 TDs on 40 carries, with 3 scores coming in the Sentinels rout on 'Homecoming'.

Edited by themamba

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Mamba 

any insight on where some of these guys will be next year 

nice thread 

Thanks.

Lytton - Florida St.. Bailey - Boston College. Bonner - Dartmouth. Dawkins is a junior. Interested to see where Lewis will play. Chambers, too.

Unsure about what Robinette and Banks have in mind. Robinette's brother, Kirk, played on the James Madison 2016 national title team as a freshman, but wasn't on the roster this year, and I think left JMU.

Some other commits on the 1st and 2nd teams.

George - Penn St (signed)

Franklin - Notre Dame (signed)

Nchami - Maryland

Obasi - Virginia

Funk - Army

Jurgens - Wake Forest

Boone - Maryland

Tounkara - Navy

Kromah - Rutgers (signed)

Akojie - Old Dominion

Carroll - U Conn

Gardner - Old Dominion

among others. Many are awaiting Walker's decision. Looks like he shuns Columbus for Happy Valley? Haynes has several nice offers. Morsell was said to be leaning to Rutgers. Dotson will likely play in the Ivy.

Bresee is one of the top recruits in the country in 2020. E Williams has a West Virginia offer, and should recieve many more over the next year. Hazel has a handful offers, and will recieve more. Thats off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, themamba said:

Thanks.

Lytton - Florida St.. Bailey - Boston College. Bonner - Dartmouth. Dawkins is a junior. Interested to see where Lewis will play. Chambers, too.

Unsure about what Robinette and Banks have in mind. Robinette's brother, Kirk, played on the James Madison 2016 national title team as a freshman, but wasn't on the roster this year, and I think left JMU.

Some other commits on the 1st and 2nd teams.

George - Penn St (signed)

Franklin - Notre Dame (signed)

Nchami - Maryland

Obasi - Virginia

Funk - Army

Jurgens - Wake Forest

Boone - Maryland

Tounkara - Navy

Kromah - Rutgers (signed)

Akojie - Old Dominion

Carroll - U Conn

Gardner - Old Dominion

among others. Many are awaiting Walker's decision. Looks like he shuns Columbus for Happy Valley? Haynes has several nice offers. Morsell was said to be leaning to Rutgers. Dotson will likely play in the Ivy.

Bresee is one of the top recruits in the country in 2020. E Williams has a West Virginia offer, and should recieve many more over the next year. Hazel has a handful offers, and will recieve more. Thats off the top of my head.

Thats what im talking about!!!!!

No problem. DeMaille just signed with Delaware. Trent - Villanova.

22 hours ago, themamba said:

themamba's MPSSAA All-State 1st Team - Offense

QB Jared Lewis (Dunbar) 6'3 225 SR - Lewis led the Poets to their 10th state title, its first in 5 years, after finishing in the top 5 in the MPSSAA this season in completions, yardage, completion percentage, and touchdowns.  

Lewis, who was named to the USA Today All-State 2nd team, as well as the Baltimore Sun All-Met 2nd team (both behind SFA's Jones), threw 167-259 for 3,285 yards, with 30 TDs and 6 INT. The 167 completions ranked 5th in the MPSSAA, his 3,285 yards ranked 2nd, and his 30 TDs ranked 4th.

Lewis threw for 305 yards and 2 TDs, and added 2 rushing TDs, in their opening week loss to Allegany, before ripping off 12 straight wins. Versus Patterson, Lewis threw 17-25 for 365 yards and 3 TDs. Versus Poly, 16-24 for 361 yards and 2 TDs. In the semi, v Havre de Grace, Lewis threw for 331 yards and 3 TDs, followed up by 252 yards and 3 TDs on in the state title win.

Lewis finished up his phenomenal season, capping off a phenomenal 3-year career that saw him break the all-time MPSSAA career passing yardage mark, with 7,649 yards, passing Arundel's Billy Cosh's mark of 7,433, in the title game. Lewis 431 completions rank 5th all-time. His 63.0% completion percentage (min. 200 attempts) ties for 5th all-time, and his 66 passing touchdowns rank 7th all-time.

Mamba...Man as always, your attention to details are outstanding.  I thank you for recognizing J and what he accomplished over his high school career.  Thank you for sharing where he ranks all-time as we didn’t know.  I have always respected your insight as I know it comes from a sincere place and is fact based.  Much respect.✊🏾

38 minutes ago, B-BALL IN MOTION said:

Mamba...Man as always, your attention to details are outstanding.  I thank you for recognizing J and what he accomplished over his high school career.  Thank you for sharing where he ranks all-time as we didn’t know.  I have always respected your insight as I know it comes from a sincere place and is fact based.  Much respect.✊🏾

Appreciate it, thanks. I don't think anyone knew that he broke the all-time yardage record.

Nice, good recognition for Jared, can't wait to see where he ends up. Nice write up Mamba.

1 hour ago, themamba said:

Appreciate it, thanks. I don't think anyone knew that he broke the all-time yardage record.

He broke the all-time record for public schools...the state record is over 9,000 yards and Ramar Williams from McNamara would probably have broken it had he not got hurt late in his senior season a few years ago. He finished a few hundred yards shy...I forget who holds the record but it was a private school guy.

Just now, Impartialfan said:

He broke the all-time record for public schools...the state record is over 9,000 yards and Ramar Williams from McNamara would probably have broken it had he not got hurt late in his senior season a few years ago. He finished a few hundred yards shy...I forget who holds the record but it was a private school guy.

I swear it seems like you need the attention.....

36 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Nice, good recognition for Jared, can't wait to see where he ends up. Nice write up Mamba.

Thanks, JB.

3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Just keeping it accurate...which the author is a stickler for.

7 minutes ago, Impartialfan said:

LMAO! Thats exactly what it says, idiot. You are obviously extremely frustrated. Is it because you have nothing to bring to the table?

9 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

These handles are so quick to post, they forget to read the post they are responding to. Someone has evidently hurt his feelings somewhere along the line. He's an absolute mess, right now.

7 minutes ago, Impartialfan said:

Just keeping it accurate...which the author is a stickler for.

Thread is about MPSSAA but ya know carry on

They get frustrated when the talk isn't about Gilman.

2 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Thread is about MPSSAA but ya know carry on

So the public schools have their own state records too? Well just to be clear the actual Md state record is about 1,500 yards more than the "MPSSAA record.

4 minutes ago, Impartialfan said:

So the public schools have their own state records too? Well just to be clear the actual Md state record is about 1,500 yards more than the "MPSSAA record.

Your parents should request a refund

For the record, Lewis has thrown for 1,400 more yards than anyone the MIAA has ever produced. smh

1 hour ago, themamba said:

ALL-TIME LEADING PASSERS

Keith Ricca_60x909,090, Keith Ricca, St. John's-PH
8,659, Ramar Williams, McNamara
7,433, Billy Cosh, Arundel
7,371, Joe Haden, Friendly
7,062, Deontay Twyman, Sherwood
So that would make Jared third all-time in the state and first among the public schools...still a great career.

8 minutes ago, Impartialfan said:

What you just did is the equivalent of showing up at the NAACP awards to tell people about the achievements Irish Americans. 

Not the time or place.

Whats mind boggling is this thread went 28 pages without a mention of the MIAA until that guy comes in....

2 minutes ago, nomad974 said:

What you just did is the equivalent of showing up at the NAACP awards to tell people about the achievements Irish Americans. 

Not the time or place.

So the NAACP has their own records 

Well just to be clear Guinness is all theirs 

Yup sounds bleeping stupid 

3 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

So the NAACP has their own records 

Well just to be clear Guinness is all theirs 

Yup sounds bleeping stupid 

Sucks when your narrative is not exactly what you want it to be.:D