themamba

themamba's MPSSAA Football Report

1,012 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, themamba said:

Fight with 2:29 left ends Wise-Roosevelt game.

Knowing PG County athletics super Earl Hawkins, he is going over the fight film and I can guarantee you those involved in the fight WILL NOT play next week for Wise even if its Wise's biggest guns.  And this includes anyone who merely just stepped on the field from the bench.  I've seen EH suspend players who stepped on the field to try to stop fights or restrain others.  It was Gwynn Park or Friendly I recall Earl suspended 20 or more players of one team for a game and in protest, the team of 20 suspended players forfeited their next game and that was just fine with the county super.  And then that protest team who forfeited their next game missed the playoffs by fractions of a point and the team they forfeited to hadn't beaten the protest team in many years.  Hell, I believe Earl terminated the duty of the game announcer who made a stupid comment during the fight incident.

Wise could be in big doo doo next week in the state semis....  And Rossevelt will likely pay next year.

Edited by DayWalker

I thought the same thing when I saw that it happened - Earl Hawkins. He suspended 8 players from Gwynn Park in 2015, so the Yellow Jackets forfeited the following game v Forestville. The Jackets did make the playoffs, losing to Patuxent in the regional final. Douglass, who beat Gwynn Park 37-8 in the regular season, lost a bonus point, missing the playoffs. Not sure if that is the same instance that you are speaking of.

5 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Lackey had two big scoring plays; one a classic Boggie Middleton long TD run and the other a pick-6.  Lackey has a big line but I'm curious to see the stats because Douglass seemed to pound the ball on Lackey with the run.  But yep, it was back and forth the entire game, very entertaining.

DW, Douglass ran the ball with easy behind big number 72. If it wasn't for a few mistakes by Douglass's QB, they would have ran the clock out and also their QB can't throw to save his life. But besides that it was a great back and forth game to the end.

The radio announcers called the 12 man penalty with the flags on the ground, before the zebras picked up the flags.

Edited by themamba

2 minutes ago, themamba said:

I thought the same thing when I saw that it happened - Earl Hawkins. He suspended 8 players from Gwynn Park in 2015, so the Yellow Jackets forfeited the following game v Forestville. The Jackets did make the playoffs, losing to Patuxent in the regional final. Douglass, who beat Gwynn Park 37-8 in the regular season, lost a bonus point, missing the playoffs. Not sure if that is the same instance that you are speaking of.

Yep yep yep....that's it!!!  Man you know your stuff.  It was Gwynn Park who came off the bench against Crossland I now remember..  And perhaps it was Douglass who didn't make the playoffs for the first time in 10 or more years, not GP who didn't make the playoffs.  But yep, Hawkins launched GP players and Coach Hayes of GP was ticked.

4 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Yep yep yep....that's it!!!  Man you know your stuff.  It was Gwynn Park who came off the bench against Crossland I now remember..  And perhaps it was Douglass who didn't make the playoffs for the first time in 10 or more years, not GP who didn't make the playoffs.  But yep, Hawkins launched GP players and Coach Hayes of GP was ticked.

Yes, thats exactly what happened. Credit to Douglass, who took on Wise and Riverdale Baptist in weeks 1 and 2. Taking on the pair, rather than schedule cupcakes, also cost them a berth in '16, too.

9 minutes ago, themamba said:

So that's how Douglass-PG missed the playoffs that year, it all makes sense now WOW!

34 minutes ago, themamba said:

Damascus had 12 men on the field on the Dickens 12 yard game-winning score. Two referees threw flags but waved them off. Video shows a dozen Swarmin' Hornets on the field.

Phantom Calls brother, Blown Call. The brothers are High School football legends. Wouldnt be the same without them.

58 minutes ago, standeeman said:

DW, Douglass ran the ball with easy behind big number 72. If it wasn't for a few mistakes by Douglass's QB, they would have ran the clock out and also their QB can't throw to save his life. But besides that it was a great back and forth game to the end.

Yep, something was greatly out of sync in the Douglass passing game to me.  One or more receivers ran the wrong routes as I saw two receivers several times in the same spot.  What killed Douglass to me was Boggie's threat to run after dropping back to pass and when he looked to take off, he stopped and launched a couple critical passes.  That 80-yard drive at the end doing this fried Douglass who to me exercise their 4 / 5 yard per play time killer option fairly well.  But yep, the pitch or pass selection of their option sucked.

I didn't see Douglass' speed back #10 so he couldn't go from an injury last week.  Then Douglass opted to run two power fullbacks #8 and #9 that was effective.  Lackey's line, particularly #4 played well.  As yes, a more accurate Douglass QB could have torched Lackey's secondary, a passer QB like Chopticon's.

Edited by DayWalker

15 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Yep, something was greatly out of sync in the Douglass passing game to me.  One or more receivers ran the wrong routes as I saw two receivers several times in the same spot.  What killed Douglass to me was Boggie's threat to run after dropping back to pass and when he looked to take off, he stopped and launched a couple critical passes.  That 80-yard drive at the end doing this fried Douglass who to me exercise their 4 / 5 yard per play time killer option fairly well.  But yep, the pitch or pass selection of their option sucked.

In didn't see Douglass' speed back #10 so he couldn't go from an injury last week.  Then Douglass opted to run two power fullbacks #8 and #9 that was effective.  Lackey's line, particularly #4 played well.  As yes, a more accurate Douglass QB could have torched Lackey's secondary, a passer QB like Chopticon's.

AJ Hunt. The SMAC had a quartet of nice QB's this year, with Hunt, Jones at North Point, Crounse at Northern, and of course, Boogie at Lackey.

15 minutes ago, standeeman said:

So that's how Douglass-PG missed the playoffs that year, it all makes sense now WOW!

Well that and Douglass' last second lost to Potomac that season when Douglass scored on a long drive with 30-seconds left in the game to go up like 30 to 26.  On the kickoff, Potomac tried a reverse but was tackled on the 20.  Potomac needed to go 80-yards for a score with 20-seconds left on the game.  And then the miracle!!!!  Douglass was in a deep deep prevent defense.  On the snap of the ball, the linebackers were to drop back in pass coverage.  The two outside linebackers did just that but the middle linebacker stepped forward.  A lightening fast slot who had torched Douglass for 3 TDs already in that game ran a quick slant in the area the MLB should have been and the slot receiver caught the short 5-yard pass with acres of open space.  The deep DBs panicked and attempted to close on the receiver without breaking down and the receiver just side-stepped the defenders and took the 5-yard pass the other 75-yards to score and beat Douglass with 8-seconds left on the clock.

Had Douglass held on to win that Potomac game that season, no matter what Gwynn Park did would not have affected Douglass and they would have been in the playoffs instead of Gwynn Park.

4 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Well that and Douglass' last second lost to Potomac that season when Douglass scored on a long drive with 30-seconds left in the game to go up like 30 to 26.  On the kickoff, Potomac tried a reverse but was tackled on the 20.  Potomac needed to go 80-yards for a score with 20-seconds left on the game.  And then the miracle!!!!  Douglass was in a deep deep prevent defense.  On the snap of the ball, the linebackers were to drop back in pass coverage.  The two outside linebackers did just that but the middle linebacker stepped forward.  A lightening fast slot who had torched Douglass for 3 TDs already in that game ran a quick slant in the area the MLB should have been and the slot receiver caught the short 5-yard pass with acres of open space.  The deep DBs panicked and attempted to close on the receiver without breaking down and the receiver just side-stepped the defenders and took the 5-yard pass the other 75-yards to score and beat Douglass with 8-seconds left on the clock.

Had Douglass held on to win that Potomac game that season, no matter what Gwynn Park did would not have affected Douglass and they would have been in the playoffs instead of Gwynn Park.

I KNEW it was something else you spoke about on here in 2015 instead than the Gwynn Park forfeit !  That was heartbreaking!

26 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

In didn't see Douglass' speed back #10 so he couldn't go from an injury last week.  Then Douglass opted to run two power fullbacks #8 and #9 that was effective.  Lackey's line, particularly #4 played well.  As yes, a more accurate Douglass QB could have torched Lackey's secondary, a passer QB like Chopticon's.

It look like JC had Douglass's offense in max pro all game until, they had to throw at the end and Lackey took full advantage sacking the QB two straight times. Douglass's ground ate the the clock completely up, I also noticed in the second half that Lackey made sure they hit Douglass's QB on ever opposition play, making him complain to referee ever play, might have taken his mind off what needed to be done knowing he was going to get hit.

I never seen Biggie take that many hits, but he throw very well to loosen up Douglass's defence.

6 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I remember that wild one. That is right, if Douglass had beat Potomac, Douglass was in, GP out. Not sure that Douglass would have gotten in over Calvert, based on a non-forfeit by Gwynn Park.

1 hour ago, standeeman said:

It look like JC had Douglass's offense in max pro all game until, they had to throw at the end and Lackey took full advantage sacking the QB two straight times. Douglass's ground ate the the clock completely up, I also noticed in the second half that Lackey made sure they hit Douglass's QB on ever opposition play, making him complain to referee ever play, might have taken his mind off what needed to be done knowing he was going to get hit.

I never seen Biggie take that many hits, but he throw very well to loosen up Douglass's defence.

Yeah, Lackey hit Douglass' QB on all those options but he, option QBs, are use to that.  I don't think the Douglass QB was complaining about being hit per se but more that they were late hits when obviously didn't have the ball and quite frankly I thought the same like on that #9 long TD run.  The Douglass QB was buried and the FB was halfway down the field.  The Douglass QB, what he did that led to most of his sack is what he has done since I've seen him, holding the ball to be sacked instead of just getting rid of the ball to avoid being sacked.  It's not like he is a scrambler that buy time to find a downfield target.  It's 1-2-3 and the ball should be gone but not ping-pong around the pocket to be sacked a lot.  I don't think Douglass was in max protect in the end when Douglass had to pass because Lackey used three linemen and still got to the Douglass QB.  That or the QB rolled out to two receivers in the same spot or he simply wasn't close to being accurate.

Boogie was clocked like I never seen him hit before in that run he gave up the ball.  But yep, he completed passes - short passes for lots of YAC - aided by his threat to run as I described.  He completed those short passes kinda going forward like he was about to take off I clearly felt Douglass feared him doing.

Edited by DayWalker

22 minutes ago, themamba said:

I remember that wild one. That is right, if Douglass had beat Potomac, Douglass was in, GP out. Not sure that Douglass would have gotten in over Calvert, based on a non-forfeit by Gwynn Park.

What I didn't care for and just my opinion was Douglass played Devin Butler at safety that season, only his senior year, in anticipation of him going to the Terps who recruited him to play that position.  Devin is a good athlete but no safety/DB to me.  Syracuse saw him more as a WR and I was at a Douglass game recently Devin attended and he loves Syracuse and playing WR.  The Terps I hear are recruiting Rossevelt's Raymond Boone to play safety.

49 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Yeah, Lackey hit Douglass' QB on all those options but he, option QBs, are use to that.  I don't think the Douglass QB was complaining about being hit per se but more that they were late hits when obviously didn't have the ball and quite frankly I thought the same like on that #9 long TD run.  The Douglass QB was buried and the FB was halfway down the field.  The Douglass QB, what he did that led to most of his sack is what he has done since I've seen him, holding the ball to be sacked instead of just getting rid of the ball to avoid being sacked.  It's not like he is a scrambler that buy time to find a downfield target.  It's 1-2-3 and the ball should be one but ping-pong around the pocket to be sacked a lot.  I don't think Douglass was in max protect in the end when Douglass had to pass because Lackey used three linemen and still got to the Douglass QB.  That or the QB rolled out to two receivers in the same spot or he simply wasn't close to being accurate.

Boogie was clocked like I never seen him hit before in that run he gave up the ball.  But yep, he completed passes - short passes for lots of YAC - aided by his threat to run as I described.  He completed those short passes kinda going forward like he was about to take off I clearly felt Douglass feared him doing.

I appreciate your analysis of this game.

4A West

#4 Quince Orchard 31 #10 Northwest 20

This rivalry may not rank among the longest in Maryland, but it does rank among one of its fiercest.

This battle for Gaithersburg began 20 years ago, shortly after Northwest opened its doors, and 40+ years after then Gaithersburg Coach John Havrill began his legendary career at Gaithersburg, before the suburban sprawl. Havrill won over 300 games, and won 4 state championships for the Trojans before hanging up the whistle in '99, after 50+ years in the game.

Since then, the G has been all about Quince Orchard and Northwest. Over the last 14 years, one of the two has been in the state final, and in four them, one of them has won it.

As for this region, one of these two have won the last 6 4A West regional championships.

This rivalry started in earnest shortly after the turn of the century, when a sophomore quarterback took the reigns at Northwest by the name of Ike Whitaker. By the time Whitaker was a senior, he was a veteran of the rivalry, winning a 21-14 slugfest before taking the Jags to the state title, with Coach Randy Trivers.

In 2006, the two played in their first playoff game, after Northwest beat Quince Orchard, 19-7, in the regular season. In the inaugural playoff matchup between the two, the Jags jumped out to a 35-0 lead in the first 21 minutes of play, thanks to 3 first half turnovers by the Cougars, leading to 21 points. The Jaguars would cruise to a 56-35 victory. Josh Volpe threw his 31st and 32nd touchdown passes. The Jags would go on to meet Sherwood in a All-MoCo state semifinal, falling 27-24 to Deontay Twyman and the Warriors, with Volpe throwing his first pick of the season.

In '07, the Cougars stopped the Jags 6 game streak, dropping their arch rival 41-12, in their regular season and only meeting, on their way to their second state championship, coming back from 23-7 down to Arundel, before winning 36-30 in one of the wildest state finals in MPSSAA history. The Cougars scored 29 4th quarter points.

The two didn't meet again in the playoffs until 2012, when the Cougars won their 6th and 7th in a row over the Jags, winning 24-10 in the regular season, and blowing their nemisis out in the post-season, 41-7. The Cougars would go on to the state final, losing to Wise, 12-7.

6 straight for the Jags, then 7 straight for the Cougars.

In '13, the Cougars carried their streak as well as a 8-0 record into their week 9 matchup, before Mark Pierce threw 4 TDs and the Jags broke up the Cougars streak and removed them from the undefeated. In the regional final, the Jags completed a two game season sweep at the Cougar Dome, as Matt Watson ran for 3 TDs. The Jags would go on to win their second state championship, beating Suitland, 9 years after Whitaker (Va Tech), Tony Nelson (Clemson), and Derrick Brownlee (West Virginia) won it all.

In '14, it was the Jaguars who came in 8-0, before the Cougars flipped the script and took a 42-14 halftime lead in the week 9 matchup, before settling in on a 52-27 victory. But then, in the regional final, the Jags EJ Lee took the first carry from scrimmage 73 yards for a touchdown and the Jags went on to a 28-21 victory, and a back-to-back regional title over their heated rival. That back-to-back wasn't the end of it, as the Jags took home the 4A state title for a second year in a row, topping Old Mill, 34-31, in the state final.

In '15, things see-sawed again between the regular season and the playoff games, with Quince Orchard winning easy in round one, 28-7, and headed into their 4th straight regional title game with Northwest having won 10 straight, with a +37.1 point differential. For the second time in the rivalry, the two produced a 90 point game, with Northwest winning, 50-40, and for the third straight year over their arch rival. Quince Orchard had a 21-7 lead, when sophomore Doc Bonner took a 71 yard run to the house. Pierce brought Northwest back and tied the game at 21 with a 70 yard pass play to Ibrahim Konate.

Bonner, who finished with 206 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns, gave the Cougars a 33-28 lead with a touchdown run heading into the fourth quarter. Pierce hit sophomore Alphonse Foray for a 34 yard TD, and the Jags retook the lead, 36-33. Cougars countered with a TD of their own - 40-36, QO. Then, Pierce produced some more heroics, keeping a game-winning drive alive on a 4th down in his own territory. The Jags added to their 43-40 lead after Sam Pagella intercepted a Bonner pass and returned it to the Cougars 1, before punching it in. The Jags went on to lose to Wise, 37-15, in the semis. Pierce finished 11-1 in his playoff career as the Jags signal caller.

Last year, the Cougars won their 9th game in their last 10 regular season meetings v the Jags, 24-21, and Northwest was upset in the first round by Robert Montgomery, after beating the Rockets by 35 in the regular season, preventing a 5th straight regional final matchup. The Cougars lost to, guess who, Wise, 42-7, in the state final.

16 days ago, the Cougars raced out to a 31-17 halftime lead over the Jags, after trailing 17-7, scoring 24 unanswered points in the half. The Cougars went on to win, 38-29, as Bonner rushed for 84 yards and 2 scores, and hit on 7 of 9 passes and a score, and giving the Cougars a 11-10 overall edge since Whitaker first took snaps for the Jags.

Last night, the Jags ran out to a 13-0 lead before losing their lead and their quarterback, Chris Craddock, who left in a wheelchair. Quince Orchard took a 14-13 lead with 10 seconds to go in the first half, and a 17-14 lead on a 35 yard FG midway through the third. The Jags countered with a TD, putting them up, 20-17. A 75 yard pass play from Bonner put the Cougars up again, and for good, before settling on a 31-20 victory, snapping the Jags 3 game regional final hold. Bonner (Dartmouth), who, like Whitaker, started behind center in this rivalry as a sophomore, finished 4-1 against the Jags in his 3 year career, accounting for 927 yards and 14 touchdowns. Juwan Farri, who was also playing in his 5th game in the rivalry, rushed for 125 yards and a score for the Jags.

The Cougars have unfinished business to tend to, but for early birds, tickets for next year's regional final game between the Cougars and Jaguars are on sale now. 

Edited by themamba

4A South

#1 Wise 34 #8 Eleanor Roosevelt 16

Just less than a month ago, the Eleanor Roosevelt Raiders gave the 2-time defending 4A champion Wise Pumas their toughest test of the season, as the defending needed a 52 yard pass play with 1:12 to go to wrestle victory from the Raiders, who had outgained the Pumas 367-278.

So, heading into the regional final, and after the Raiders dominated then undefeated Flowers, 34-7, in the first round, they had confidence. Maybe too much.

Shortly after the Raiders dismantled the Jaguars, their defensive leader Raymond Boone (Maryland) went on record, and video, to state, "I'm going to come back next week, going to get Wise. Wise losing. We going to win states - that's all".

Wasn't wise, and he didn't stop there.

The Pumas not only were the 2-time defending champion, but had won their last 39 games, and looking to become just the second 4A team to ever 3-peat, joing Bob Milloy's Springbrook Blue Devils teams from '79-81 as the only team to do it.

The Pumas needed no other extra motivation other than the scare they recieved from the Raiders in October. Instead, Boone offered some, anyway.

"In previous years", Boone would go on to say, "they were just better than anyone else, but this year they are pretty average".

Not Wise.

By the time Boone left the field at Flowers the video had gone rival, with a retweet from Wise, with an A-ok acknowledgement. Pumas running back 'Moo Moo' Oliver said, "Once Friday comes, he (Boone) has to show up. And his teammates need to show up".

Someone didn't get Moo Moo's memo to the Raiders.

Looking back, the game seemed to be decided early, shortly after the Pumas broke through a banner stating ' WE AVERAGE' as they took the field, with their fans donning 'WE AVERAGE' t-shirts, and waving 'WE AVERAGE' towels.

The Pumas came out and moved thr ball at ease, and turned two first half turnovers into 14 points, taking a 28-0 lead at intermission, and rendering this regional final - academic.

The Pumas totaled 315 yards, and their defense kept the Raiders between the twenties, and capitalizing on the Raiders three turnovers.

Quinton Williams hit on 7 of 10 passes and a score, while David Medley rushed for 137 yards and a score on 9 carries, and Iliver added 75 yards on the ground and 2 scores. The Pumas limited the Raiders leading rusher and quarterback Jaden Faulkner to 88 yards on 27 carries, and limiting the Raiders to 81 yards on 18 pass attemts.

The Pumas sent a message, by tweet, ' Stop Booneing'. Message recieved. Win #40 is in the books. And Coach DeLawn Parrish captured his 8th regional championship in 13 years at Wise.

Don't think we'll see any motivational retweets coming from Wise this week. Makes sense, why with Wise?

4A North

#6 Howard 33 #13 Paint Branch 20

The Howard Lions won its 4th straight 4A regional title, the longest current streak among 4A schools, its first on the road, with a 33-20 win at Paint Branch.

Howard became just the second Howard County school to win at least 4 straight regional titles (River Hill 5, '05-09), a year after becoming just the fourth to win 3 straight (Oakland Mills '82 👀, '83 👀, and '84, and Wilde Lake, from '90-92).

Last year, the Lions survived and advanced through the region, outscoring Bel Air and Mervo, 83-20, collectively, before falling victim to the Wise Pumas, who pummeled the Lions for a second year in a row.

Who didn't survive that regional final to play another game was Lions sophomore, first team all-county running back Devin Dawkins (1,867 yards in '16), who left the regional final in the second quarter, with a season-ending broken collarbone.

Friday night, Dawkins stayed fully healthy, rushing for 167 yards and a score, on 26 carries, and added a 65 yard punt return for the score, giving the Lions a 12 point cushion, 26-14, moments after the Panthers had a an opportunity to take the lead.

The Lions are 37-3 in their last 40 games - 0-2 v Wise, 38-1 v everyone else. The Lions, Long Reach, and Glenelg gave HoCo its 18th, 19th, and 20th regional titles over the last 13 years, dating back to 2005. Since '05, HoCo is 40-23 v OOC teams in the playoffs - 3-8 v PG, 5-2 v MoCo, 32-13 v everyone else. 

The Lions and Panthers first met in the post-season in the first two years following the MPSSAA's inception. Howard won an inaugural state title over the Panthers, 48-14, before the Panthers beat the Lions in a state title game in '75, bursting the Lions state record 47 game win streak.

Last night, before the Dawkins return, it was senior Ryan Kearney, who had just lost his father to cancer in the morning, who came up with the play of the game, with a jarring hit on the Panthers Ali Sheriff, causing him to fumble, and stopping momentum for the Panthers, who were on a mission to put up 21 unanswered points.

Instead, 4 plays later, the Lions other all-county back, Robert Agbai, scampered 37 yards to give the Lions a 20-14 lead. And Dawkins, the Lions other all-county back, who had brought a kickoff return to the house the week before v Sherwood, provided more return heroics, and gave the Lions the cushion they kept. The Lions Emmanuel Stokes followed the Dawkins return with a hit of his own, causing a Panthers fumble, and Ben Stephanos took for a pick-up six.

So, for a night, the Lions can party like its 1974, and the following morning wish it were 1974, when there were no Wise men.

4A East

#5 North Point 38 #7 Broadneck 22

We had seen this movie before. Or so we thought.

The one where North Point has a great regular season, going 10-0 or 9-1, only to lose to a Anne Arundel County foe, shortly thereafter.

After all, they had lost to a AACo team 3 years in a row, after going 10-0 or 9-1 in the regular season, all in the first round - '14 Arundel, '15 Broadneck, and Annapolis, last year. To add insult to injury, the Eagles were eliminated by AACo in three of their four straight appearances from '08-11, all but one ('11) in the first round, two seasons where they were 10-0 and 9-1. 8 seasons, 6 playoff appearances, a 1-6 record (1-7 overall, lost to Douglass PG in '08 in the first round, the Eagles second season) v AACo.

The Eagles were Jones'n for a win, and for an opportunity to finally win a regional final, after completing another undefeated regular season, and sixth in nine years where they finished the 10 game slate with one loss or less.

Jones'n.

Enter Jermichael Jones, the senior signal caller who had endured defeat to AACo 2 years in a row, despite going 28-1 as a starter v everyone else, heading into this post-season.

Jones answered the Eagles call in round 1. First, with a 71 yard TD, following a blocked punt, with the Eagles trailing 13-3. Then, with the Eagles trailing heading into the fourth, and 19-13 late in the fourth, Jones hooked up with the Eagles star reciever Malik Lawrence on a 79 yard pass play and score with 2 minutes to go, and the eventual game-winner.

Friday night, in a matchup of two of the state's better quarterbacks, Jones and Broadneck's Shane Davis (31 passing TD in '17, 8 rushing), it was Jones that flipped a 14-10 deficit into a 24-14 lead when he ran for 2 TDs, the first - a 23 yarder, 2 plays after Broadneck had taken a 14-10 lead. Later, it was Chelen Garnes (Navy) that hit Malik Lawrence on a trick play to make it 31-14, and all but assure the Eagles their first regional championship in school history. Garnes added 2 interceptions on the other side of the ball. Davis threw for 3 TD, and also 2 picks. 

This is the first time since the 4-team 4A East was established, 2003, where the regional champion didn't come from Anne Arundel County.

Jones has now ammassed over 8,300 total yards (5,250+ passing, 2,750+ rushing) and accounted for 83 (50 passing, 33 rushing) touchdowns in his 3 year career in Waldorf. But the Eagles aren't limited to just Jones, with 6'6 300 Under Armor Game selection Rasheed Walker (offers from Ohio St, Penn St, Georgia, ND, among others), anchoring the line, future Midshipmen Garnes, and Lawrence, who has 99 receptions for over 2,000 yards and 21 TD receptions over the last 2 years, joining the signal caller, among others, on the sideline donning the black, green and red.

For now, the Eagles have put the monkee hailing from AACo into captivity, for now, before its released into the wild again, next November. But now, MoCo, who is a different monster than AACo. Uh oh, better get Maaco.

Edited by themamba

1 hour ago, themamba said:

.....Uh oh, better get Maaco.

:D  :D  :D  :D

3A West

#16 Linganore 16 #28 Westminster 14

In a classification where Damascus departed, Franklin lost 4 games, eliminated in the first round, and undefeated River Hill losing to Glenelg in the first round, the 5th ranked team in its league, Linganore looms as the only program with any recent history of success in the post-season. And thats a stretch, as the Lancers last regional title was in 2013, before they held off Westminster, 16-14, Friday night.

The Lancers do have an MPSSAA all-time top 10 resume, with a top 10 ranking in state championships (5, tied for 8th), MD Writers Poll top 25 finishes (15, tied with FH for 3rd), MD Writers Poll top 10 finishes (8, 5th), regional titles (12, tied for 10th), playoff appearances (21, tied for 10th), playoff wins (32, tied for 6th), and playoff win % (.681 32-15, 10th).

Like Fort Hill-Allegany and Quince Orchard-Northwest, Linganore and Westminster is a long-time annual rivalry that met again in the regional finals, Friday night. The Lancers handled the Owls, 50-28, in week 3, but this one wasn't decided until the last few minutes, when the Lancers pounced on a Owls fumble, inside their own 30. The Lancers then drained the clock to survive and advance.

The Lancers returned the opening kickoff to the Owls 10, but had to settle for an opening field goal. A Christian Etchison TD pass put the Owls up, 7-3. David Butler countered, with a 20 yard score, to give the Lancers the lead, 9-7, after a failed extra point. The Lancers found the end zone again, and the Owls lost their quarterback Etchison for the remainder of the game, with 30 seconds to play in the half. Sophomore Nate Kent stepped in for Etchison and led the Owls touchdown drive in the third, scoring on a 19 yard keeper. But, in a game where the two teams averaged scoring 40 and 37 points per game coming in, the last 17 minutes of the game were scoreless. Butler, the Lancers star back, finished with 250 yards on 34 carries.

The Lancers added to their legacy, joining Sherwood at 10th all-time in regional titles, with 12, and joined Middletown for 6th all-time in playoff wins, with 32. Coach Rick Connors won his 6th regional title with the Lancers, and is 1 win away from winning his 150th game (149-40) with the Lancers, in his 16th season.

Edited by themamba

3A South

#31 Oxon Hill 37 #17 Northern 28

A year ago, Oxon Hill came into the regional final looking to be a legitimate contender to Damascus and Franklin, having won all 11 of its games, with a point differential of +27.8, having had only 2 teams come within 12 points (Eleanor Roosevelt, Flowers), and having beaten its regional final opponent, Potomac, 24-8, in the regular season, leading 24-0 before a late Wolverines touchdown.

But on that Saturday, the Wolverines came back from a 20-7 deficit to force overtime, and what turned out to be a thrilling triple-overtime victory over the previously undefeated Clippers.

The good news this year was that quarterback Dejuan Rollins and Penn State commit Daniel George were returning, headlining a talented cast. Rollins had thrown for over 2,100 yards and 27 TD in '16, while George had 11 recieving touchdowns, 2 punt returns for TDs, 2 interception returns for TDs, returned a fumble for a score, caught 3 interceptions, forced 2 fumbles, and blocked a field goal.

As the Clippers saw a year before, some things don't always go as planned. The Clippers started 4-1, and facing Potomac in the first re-match of the triple-overtime thriller, when Rollins was injured, and the Clippers lost to the Wolverines, 17-14. Rollins would miss 3 more games, while the Clippers went 1-3 in those 4 games. Rollins returned in week 9.

A week after avenging their opening week loss to Chopticon in the first round, 28-26, the Clippers were facing an even tougher SMAC opponent, 1 loss Northern, with Crounse, Crounse, Harris & Partners, in this year's regional final.

After a tumultuous season, the Clippers made the most of the opportunity, and took a 28-14 halftime lead, and never looked back, holding a 31-14 lead heading into the 4th quarter. The Clippers gained 359 yards, with Montana Dawkins gaining 127 yards on 14 carries, overshadowing the 32-52-477-4-1 numbers that Northern's Reese Crounse put up through the air.

The win was the Clippers 8th regional title, but first in 24 years, when they won 7 regional finals in 12 years ('82-93). Last year was the Clippers first playoff appearance in 9 years.

Rollins, in 8.5 games, has completed 114 of 186 passes (61.3%) for 1,619 yards, with 17 TD and 4 INT. George has 53 receptions for 730 yards and 8 TD, adding 5 interceptions, with 13 total TDs, including 2 rushing, and a kick return, a punt return, and a interception return, all going for scores.

Edited by themamba