Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

AJ Pulls Curtain Back on O's Management

22 posts in this topic

The below quotes from AJ last week confirm what a lot of us have been saying about the dysfunctional way the O's create their roster.  Sounds like AJ is just about begging that DD and Buck try and get on the same page.  Reading between the lines they are barely talking.  Each takes "their guys" pitch to King Pete and he gives a thumbs up or down.  Wow, we are so screwed.  Major power struggle which has been reported and you have to think Buck is on top.  Buck is going to make on heck of a GM in 2019 ;) 

“This year we didn’t click on all cylinders. You can point fingers where you want. I just think as a team we didn’t click on all cylinders. Sometimes, we pitched, sometimes, we hit. We always played pretty good defense. But we never hit and pitched at the same time cohesively. It happens. So, I think Dan (Duquette) and Buck (Showalter), if they can sit at the same table this offseason, maybe just on the phone or something, solve it.

“That’s their jobs. I know Buck pushes for a lot of guys, I know Dan pushes for a lot of guys. Then, you factor in PA (Peter Angelos) to it, there’s a whole lot more variables, but I think that they both want to win. I know Dan and Buck do."

I wonder if Buck or Dan even saw that bus coming.

In my opinion, Buck is already the GM, and the results aren't good. 

"I think that they both want to win. I know Dan and Buck do..."

He left PA out of that last comment... intentional or not???

13 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Yeah. That's what my gut tells me. More of the same all or nothing lineup and crappy pitching.

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

The below quotes from AJ last week confirm what a lot of us have been saying about the dysfunctional way the O's create their roster.  Sounds like AJ is just about begging that DD and Buck try and get on the same page.  Reading between the lines they are barely talking.  Each takes "their guys" pitch to King Pete and he gives a thumbs up or down.  Wow, we are so screwed.  Major power struggle which has been reported and you have to think Buck is on top.  Buck is going to make on heck of a GM in 2019 ;) 

“This year we didn’t click on all cylinders. You can point fingers where you want. I just think as a team we didn’t click on all cylinders. Sometimes, we pitched, sometimes, we hit. We always played pretty good defense. But we never hit and pitched at the same time cohesively. It happens. So, I think Dan (Duquette) and Buck (Showalter), if they can sit at the same table this offseason, maybe just on the phone or something, solve it.

“That’s their jobs. I know Buck pushes for a lot of guys, I know Dan pushes for a lot of guys. Then, you factor in PA (Peter Angelos) to it, there’s a whole lot more variables, but I think that they both want to win. I know Dan and Buck do."

Good post. Very telling that PA was left out of the last sentence.

18 minutes ago, weird-O said:

That's my gut as well. I think Buck gradually usurped the role after the disastrous 2014 off season. You just know PA has had DD in the penalty box since he tried to bolt to Toronto.  Being disloyal to the King will cost you.  So we are under .500 combined from 2015-2017.

9 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Yeah. That's what my gut tells me. More of the same all or nothing lineup and crappy pitching.

Buck really does seem to be terrible on the pitching front - managing it and evaluating it. Again, his loyalty blinds his objectivity.

This board will halt and catch fire when the UJ extension is announced.

After a great August and wildcard in clear view, the Orioles went 7-21.  Manager gets most of that blame.

14 minutes ago, weird-O said:

This board will halt and catch fire when the UJ extension is announced.

LOL!!!  Yeah DD is already setting the stage for a failed off season.  He was quoted as saying the FA pitching market was thin and expensive, LOL!!  Welcome back UJ and Tilly!!  

33 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

LOL!!!  Yeah DD is already setting the stage for a failed off season.  He was quoted as saying the FA pitching market was thin and expensive, LOL!!  Welcome back UJ and Tilly!!  

He's right, but if that's going to stop you from improving, then you're in the wrong business. Sign Cobb, it's that simple. There's one year left, then the whole team is going to be retooled. At least leave the next GM in a stronger situation. Cobb, Gausman and Bundy is a good start. Find another solid pitcher and give Castro the 5th spot. But if they play that same game of thinking Wright can start, then scrap the whole season. 

* I'd be open to Tilly returning. But it has to be an incentive laden contract.  

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Buck really does seem to be terrible on the pitching front - managing it and evaluating it. Again, his loyalty blinds his objectivity.

And hitting. He goes for all or nothing hitters. And he doesn't emphasize/train basics like bunting/taking advantages of shifts on players like Davis, and the base running errors on this team all year were mind boggling. There's a lot NOT going on with Buck that should be.

27 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And hitting. He goes for all or nothing hitters. And he doesn't emphasize/train basics like bunting/taking advantages of shifts on players like Davis, and the base running errors on this team all year were mind boggling. There's a lot NOT going on with Buck that should be.

Other than defense, this was a fundamentally poor team for 2017.  That's on Buck and his coaches.  Maybe Buck just isn't hungry anymore.  Going through the motions.

12 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Other than defense, this was a fundamentally poor team for 2017.  That's on Buck and his coaches.  Maybe Buck just isn't hungry anymore.  Going through the motions.

Maybe it's time for Buck to move on.

29 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Maybe it's time for Buck to move on.

If we're correct, and Buck is essentially the GM, and the all or nothing line up and UJ decisions are all his, then I think he should absolutely move on. 

And while I'm a believer in DD, I think he should also move on. I'm convinced he's not staying, and I don't want a lame duck one year GM making decisions. Because everything he does will be all about 2018. I think he'll sacrifice everything, to get the team as far as they can go next year. And some, or all, of those sacrifices could have a prolonged negative impact on the franchise. 

Ring Ring

DD: Dan here

Caller: Hey Dan, it's Blah Blah from the Somewhere Town Blah Blah's, how you doin'

DD: Doin' great, what's on your mind.

Caller: Listen, we're big fans of that Mancini kid, and Hays looks sharp. Are they available?

DD: I don't know, whose coming back to me?

Caller: We have another Hellickson type on our side. I was thinking Helly-type for your two guys

DD: (thinks to himself - Hmmm...Another Hellickson type is performing better than UJ and Tillman, both of whom I brought back at Buck's urgency. And Miley, who I brought back, because... darn it...I believe in that kid. And we're hovering around .500 and just a few games out of that second WC slot. This could be the move that puts us over the hump). You know what Blah Blah, you got a deal.  

52 minutes ago, weird-O said:

If we're correct, and Buck is essentially the GM, and the all or nothing line up and UJ decisions are all his, then I think he should absolutely move on. 

And while I'm a believer in DD, I think he should also move on. I'm convinced he's not staying, and I don't want a lame duck one year GM making decisions. Because everything he does will be all about 2018. I think he'll sacrifice everything, to get the team as far as they can go next year. And some, or all, of those sacrifices could have a prolonged negative impact on the franchise. 

Ring Ring

Caller: Hey Dan, it's Blah Blah from the Somewhere Town Blah Blah's, how you doin'

Caller: Listen, we're big fans of that Mancini kid, and Hays looks sharp. Are they available?

Caller: We have another Hellickson type on our side. I was thinking Helly-type for your two guys

DD: (thinks to himself - Hmmm...Another Hellickson type is performing better than UJ and Tillman, both of whom I brought back at Buck's urgency. And Miley, who I brought back, because... darn it...I believe in that kid. And we're hovering around .500 and just a few games out of that second WC slot. This could be the move that puts us over the hump). You know what Blah Blah, you got a deal.  

LOL!!!   Classic.  And then Buck will be mad because he didn't want the new guy.  So Buck goes with the 6 man rotation so he can keep both UJ and Tilly in rotation.  Buck will show DD who the GM is. He is keeping UJ and Tilly in rotation even though they are the 2 worst starters in the AL.  

Wow that sounds ridiculous, but it really happened this year.  DD and Buck are some team!!!  Whose on first???

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

Ring Ring

LOL. You nailed it. (I'm laughing on the outside, throwing things at my TV on the inside.)

11 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

LOL!!!   Classic.  And then Buck will be mad because he didn't want the new guy.  So Buck goes with the 6 man rotation so he can keep both UJ and Tilly in rotation.  Buck will show DD who the GM is. He is keeping UJ and Tilly in rotation even though they are the 2 worst starters in the AL.  

Wow that sounds ridiculous, but it really happened this year.  DD and Buck are some team!!!  Whose on first???

Just like Kim.  Buck didn't want the guy so he wouldn't play him.  Even though he was better than most of the OF options available,  Buck only likes the guys he picks!  You can see where this is going.  2018 is shaping up to be another disaster.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

If he actually says that, it's time for him to go. I can think of 4 free agent starters off the top of my head that would improve the rotation a hundred fold and won't break the bank. . 

Edited by bmore_ken

7 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Good post. Very telling that PA was left out of the last sentence.

I have believed that winning doesn't matter to Angelos for years now. He'll take it if he can get it for cheap, but he's not hungry past the minimum he needs to do to keep asses in seats.

7 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

The team's inconsistent play reflects on the manager and coaching staff.