Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Common Sense Gun Control

174 posts in this topic

Just now, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

The 14th Amendment does not mention abortion.

Equal protection under the law. Men have the right to control their own bodies, so should women.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, microg said:

So you trust law enforcement?

Stop before you cause someone to have a cerebral aneurysm from the collision of two diametrically opposed ideas that were previously unconsciously moving parallel to each other.

Edited by Wild Eyed Southern Boy

I am opposed to restricting the gun rights of fetuses.  Uhh umm, what was the topic again?

1 minute ago, Wild Eyed Southern Boy said:

Stop before you cause an cerebral aneurysm from the collision of two diametrically opposed ideas that were previously unconsciously moving parallel to each other.

I couldn't help myself.

1 minute ago, microg said:

I am opposed to restricting the gun rights of fetuses.  Uhh umm, what was the topic again?

THAT I believe. :)

1 minute ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

The 14th Amendment does not mention abortion.

The second amendment isn't unlimited.

;)

53 minutes ago, Wild Eyed Southern Boy said:

Substitute the word "Computer" for "gun".

Substitute the word "ballot" for "gun".;)

Posted (edited)

I posted this because I had a funny experience yesterday. NPR was doing a story on Las Vegas and, of course, they were talking about guns. I left the room for a few minutes and when I came back they were talking about three day waiting periods , and I thought "WTH"? But the story had changed to abortion and the contrast was difficult to ignore.

However, maybe we can all agree on one form of gun control: banning bump stock devices.

Edited by Baltimatt
Language

7 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Some rights are better than others? Really?

The courts have opened restrictions to our most basic right. Why should one right be greater than another?

No. But if you turn this into a thread about abortion rights your discussion will be lost in that. The thread will go exactly how all the abortion rights threads go. Any real debate you want to have on the merits of your proposal will disappear into that noise. Is that what you want?

37 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Hence the showing of the video, the 3 day wait and the doctor's note.

Never heard of HIPPAA, I take it. 

6 minutes ago, songfourone said:

The second amendment isn't unlimited.

;)

Agreed.

There is nothing that even alludes however to a limit on the quantity of weapons one might own, nor is there even a hint of a need to register ammunition or any of the other nonsense to which my post responded.  

I have one weapon and the only time it leaves my house is when I get my (roughly) quarterly practice in, and I have no intention of creating an armory.  But the 2nd A is clear - and unless you have a version I don't have, there is no limit on my right to create and stock that armory.

16 minutes ago, hst2 said:

They do a better job of justifiable homicide than the average gun owner does.

cops committ more murders than legal permit holders

fact

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

However, maybe we can all agree on one form of gun control: banning bump stock devices.

If the anti-gun movers and shakers are smart they will realize there are simply too many AR type rifles out there to simply ban. Same for 20 rnd/30 rnd mags, there have been literally a billion made since the expiration of the AWB in 2004, in addition to ones made previously.

The 100 round magazines like the ones used in LV, and similar 100 rnd Beta Magazines are not popular for home defense or even recreational shooting. Most firearms owners disdain them for being wasteful. Same goes for "bumpfire" stocks and hand-crank activators.

I don't think you'd get a lot of push back on those.

Given the amount of money this guy have, I guess we should be somewhat thankful that he did not buy a belt-fed RPK illegally brought in from South America. That would have been even worse.

3 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Agreed.

There is nothing that even alludes however to a limit on the quantity of weapons one might own, nor is there even a hint of a need to register ammunition or any of the other nonsense to which my post responded.  

I have one weapon and the only time it leaves my house is when I get my (roughly) quarterly practice in, and I have no intention of creating an armory.  But the 2nd A is clear - and unless you have a version I don't have, there is no limit on my right to create and stock that armory.

As you and I both mentioned before compliance with the Constitution seems to be disregarded in all of these so called gun control solutions. 

11 minutes ago, hst2 said:

how about shoestrings

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Never heard of HIPPAA, I take it. 

I'm familiar with HIPPA but not HIPPAA.  I believe agencies can scoot around HIPPA just enough to indicate whether a potential gun purchaser has a health dis-qualifier.

2 minutes ago, microg said:

I'm familiar with HIPPA but not HIPPAA.  I believe agencies can scoot around HIPPA just enough to indicate whether a potential gun purchaser has a health dis-qualifier.

I always screw up the initial order. Good for you, you got me. What would be the disqualifier? Who maintains this medical report? Who else has access? There's a reason Hippaa(checking the letters for the grammar Nazi) exists. 

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I always screw up the initial order. Good for you, you got me. What would be the disqualifier? Who maintains this medical report? Who else has access? There's a reason Hippaa(checking the letters for the grammar Nazi) exists. 

You could check with the state police firearms division for those details.  I believe the MD Department of Health and Mental Hygiene was transmitting a simple flag to the state police that would indicate that a person was prohibited due to mental health issues.  

Not trying to be a grammar nazi, just inquiring as it has been several years since my Hippa training.

45 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Bingo!

I know that's what you want, but it's not going to happen.

Trump is a failure at addressing mental health issues just like Obama was. Big fat zeros for both of them.

23 minutes ago, microg said:

I don't know what country you guys live in, but here we have HIPAA. :)

Just now, FormerlySouthSide said:

I don't know what country you guys live in, but here we have HIPAA. :)

Oh crap.  Baltimatt's Law.

48 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Equal protection under the law. Men have the right to control their own bodies, so should women.

And yet prositution is illegal and decried as exploitive by most feminist and liberals ......

52 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Non-sequitur.

All mention of abortion, cars, knives, baseball bats, swimming pools and other such false equivalences and analogies are non-sequiturs that are used when someone can't argue their case on its own merits.