Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Common Sense Gun Control

174 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

And yet prositution is illegal and decried as exploitive by most feminist and liberals ......

A lot of prostitution involves human sex trafficking to some degree or another.  I'd say most people have a problem with it.

HIPAA is supposed to protect your medical information. But if you go to a doctor's office, you will almost always sign a HIPAA waiver which permits them to do what they like with your information. And, of course, they can share it with any law enforcement agency who presents a warrant. And for practical purposes, they would share it with law enforcement who does not present a warrant; increasingly, we see that law enforcement does not feel bound to get a warrant when intimidation gets them what they want and there are no consequences for executing their duties in that fashion.

Now add in Obamacare's (probably) well-meaning attempt to automate the storage of health records. My doctor uses a cloud service to comply; many others probably do, as well - doctors do not care to spend money on IT staff. And you can bet all those databases have been cracked, or even had back doors deliberately installed by government request. Amazon's cloud services has the CIA as one of its biggest clients. You can bet what they asked for in exchange for that contract, and since Bezos is very much like Trump, you can bet they got it.

For practical purposes, you have no medical privacy.

3 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

No. But if you turn this into a thread about abortion rights your discussion will be lost in that. The thread will go exactly how all the abortion rights threads go. Any real debate you want to have on the merits of your proposal will disappear into that noise. Is that what you want?

Let's discuss why its okay to so heavily restrict a woman's right to control her own body, which now extends into healthcare provided birth control, but not okay to even remotely regulate the purchase of guns.

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

Let's discuss why its okay to so heavily restrict a woman's right to control her own body, which now extends into healthcare provided birth control, but not okay to even remotely regulate the purchase of guns.

Perhaps, to the dyed-in-the-wool betaversian, it merely 'feels' bad to imagine abortion (...yuck...), yet 'feels good' to think about owning firearms...

It's an 'all-emo' issue in teh betaverse; logic has no place.

Just now, hst2 said:

If that's what you want to turn the thread into, how can I stop you? I merely warned you about something you should already understand.

In any event, I do not favor most of the restrictions on abortion, so I can't debate the other side of it for you. You'll need to find a rightie for that. But... I do find it ironic that you feel it's not okay to regulate abortion (which is not called out in the Constitution) but at the same time advocate for a de facto gun ban (a right that is called out).

It seems that the modern liberal, assuming you as an example, has put aside his traditional defense of rights in favor of defending that set of rights he feels comfortable with, while advocating against the rights that frighten him. Indeed, he sounds almost conservative in that regard.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Wild Eyed Southern Boy said:

Substitute the word "Computer" for "gun".

Good thinking.

Computer = tool, cell phone=tool, car=tool (good one...only one per or two per family...kids have to borrow....think of the pollution and lives saved), cable television=tool ( do we really need 2000 stations with a 1/4 in spanish or info-mertials.)....shall i go on with my nonsense. Or do we get the point?

But actually most of what HST says is already in place in MD. Except for the viewing of brain spatter.

Interestingly last evening I was listening to public radio ....A1 was on...someone called in and said nearly the same thing that they should show the wounds on tv from the gunshots. The entire panel of Drs. etc. said nope...it would not do anything positive.....only give the shooters gratification....or further inspire sick-os to repeat the horror.

So re the suicide thingy....I don't think it is out of bounds to say the same might hold true.

I mean ....remember when (well some of you) when you took drivers ed and they showed the gruesome car wrecks of teenagers and drinking. Well did you still not want the license.....and did you drink?

As individuals we make our own choices.....some good some bad....some that affect others. It is called life.

Edited by Guido2

1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

Good thinking.

Computer = tool, cell phone=tool, car=tool (good one...only one per or two per family...kids have to borrow....think of the pollution and lives saved), cable television=tool ( do we really need 2000 stations with a 1/4 in spanish or info-mertials.)....shall i go on with my nonsense. Or do we get the point?

If you think that the computer, cell phone, car, cable television, etc. was invented for the sole purpose of killing something, I get your point.

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Trump "Art of the Deal" says start off with an outrageous demand and settle for less, although personally, I'm fine with all of them.

I'm pretty sure Trump was talking about when he had something of value to bring to his half of the deal.

5 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

If you think that the computer, cell phone, car, cable television, etc. was invented for the sole purpose of killing something, I get your point.

I updated my post....please re-read....thanks.

13 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Neither are guns used for the sole purpose of killing something.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

But they are. You can suggest that the purpose is self defense, which is fine. It is, but the self defense is provided by giving the user the ability to kill in their defense. You can suggest that people target practice but that is why it is called practice. It is an attempt to be better so when the "game" is on you are prepared. I'm somewhere in the middle on gun issues, but when people go to logical gymnastics to prove their point, it undermines their argument. 

Edited by Rael

Just now, Rael said:

But they are. You can suggest that the purpose is self defense, which is fine. It is, but the self defense is provided by giving the user the ability to kill in their defense. You can suggest that people target practice but that is why it is called practice. It is an attempt to be better so when the "game" is on you are prepared. I'm somewhere in the middle on gun issues, but when people go to logical gymnastics to prove their point, it undermines their argument. 

Nonsense, there are shooting sports where nothing is killed and it isn't practice for anything except more target shooting.  I am not a hunter yet I have been shooting guns most all of my life and I haven't killed anything.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Nonsense, there are shooting sports where nothing is killed and it isn't practice for anything except more target shooting.  I am not a hunter yet I have been shooting guns most all of my life and I haven't killed anything.

Sure. Of course there are but I would suggest that you are in the minority.

The purpose of most guns is to provide the ability to kill something. Deer, violent attackers, etc. Certainly the same cannot be said for a cell phone or a cable hookup. The dichotomy remains. 

Edited by Rael

15 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

That describes me, and I think a lot of other gun owners.

1 minute ago, FormerlySouthSide said:

That describes me, and I think a lot of other gun owners.

Fair enough. Do you disagree with the idea that, in general, guns are designed to be lethal?

1 hour ago, FormerlySouthSide said:

A lot of prostitution involves human sex trafficking to some degree or another.  I'd say most people have a problem with it.

Nice deflection ......

Posted (edited)

Write all the gun laws you want.

Make them constitutional, unconstitutional, totalitarian, draconian, Byzantine, anything you want.

But there is one inescapable, incontrovertible fact that will make all of your effort futile.

Criminals and some of the mentally ill do not follow laws. 

Edited by VOSA

Just now, VOSA said:

Make them constitutional, unconstitutional, totalitarian, draconian, Byzantine, anything you want.

But there is one inescapable, incontrovertible fact that will make all of your effort futile.

Criminals and some off the mentally ill do not follow laws. 

So true

1 hour ago, Smokey 1 said:

I didn't say that now did I?

1 minute ago, mrsmlh said:

I didn't say that now did I?

Not directly but it was implied in your statement.

1 minute ago, Smokey 1 said:

Not directly but it was implied in your statement.

No, that is what you read into my statement which is exactly why I said INVENTED and not used.

10 minutes ago, VOSA said:

Criminals and some of the mentally ill do not follow laws. 

Isn't that true for all laws though?