Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

One free agent each team should sign

11 posts in this topic

Baltimore Orioles: Alex Cobb

Predicting how much money the Orioles will have available to spend is one of the more difficult tasks each offseason. Owner Peter Angelos has his own hard and fast rules, and is only willing to make concessions when he feels like it. Chris Davis was handed a $161-million contract before the 2016 season, but the industry assumption was that the money was only available for Davis. A deal with center fielder Dexter Fowler fell apart at the last second because the Orioles were unwilling to give an opt-out clause.

The starting rotation has been the most difficult part of the team for GM Dan Duquette to build while working within the constraints of his owner. The Orioles are notorious around the league for their strict physicals, to the point where it is a running joke. Angelos has also been extremely hesitant to spend on pitching, forcing Duquette to pick from the bottom of the barrel when it comes to filling out his rotation. Plenty of promising young prospects have gone on to find success with other organizations almost immediately upon leaving the Baltimore farm system.

Baltimore’s starting pitching ineptitude came to a head this year, and they are staring at a black hole entering the 2018 season with only two established starters under contract, Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman. Bringing back struggling starter Chris Tillman on a short-term deal seems like a logical move for the O’s, but they must spend on two more outside names if they hope to make the most out of Manny Machado’s last year under contract.

Jake Arrieta, the best starter in this year’s weak free-agent class, is out of the question. The Orioles will be forced to look further down the list at someone like Alex Cobb. It’s anyone’s best guess if Cobb will be able to pass an Angelos physical though, as he missed all of 2015 and most of 2016 with Tommy John. Two years out from the surgery, Cobb may be ready to resume throwing his split-finger fastball, which was his best pitch. Either way, the Orioles have to suck it up and spend big on starting pitching this winter.

https://fansided.com/2017/09/30/mlb-free-agency-one-free-agent-every-team/

Years ago an article quoted Angelos as saying he couldn't spend on pitching and keep ticket prices "within reach of ordinary fans". Whatever that means. I assume he wants people to believe he's not making much profit, despite MASN. However, his wasteful spending on Chris Davis calls that assertion into question. I don't know why he has such disdain for pitching, but if he really doesn't want to spend on free agents, then he needs to spend on the farm system and scouting. Those are both failing the organization right now, especially as regards finding and developing pitching.

His objection to pitchers is that they only play 1 in 5 games, but cost significantly more than the guys who go out there every day. That opinion alone, is all anyone need know, to answer the question, why have the O's had so little success under his ownership group.

Well if bad pitching costs you 2 of every 5 games, you'll still finish .600 right?  ;)

:lol:

Hard, hard pass.

New York Yankees: Eric Hosmer

Late-season surge of Greg Bird not withstanding, first base has been the only real weakness for the 2017 Yankees as they surge back up the standings and return to the playoffs. The Yankees are on the verge of contending for the World Series every year and retaking their status as scourge of the American League. They do not have to give up on Bird just yet, but it will be hard to pass on a free agent like Eric Hosmer.

Hosmer looks like he was made to play for the Yankees. He is good looking, charismatic, young and has a sweet left-handed stroke that is tailored for the short porch in right field. In the right park and division, Hosmer can easily blossom into a 40-homer type of hitter without sacrificing his high batting average.

There are few teams around the league who can afford to make Hosmer the type of offer he will be seeking this winter. He will be 28 next year and is just beginning to enter his offensive prime. If Jason Heyward was able to command $184 million with inferior offensive numbers, Hosmer could easily crack $200 million.

The Yankees have pared back their free-agent spending in recent years, but are positioned well to make a run at a big name this winter. Their pursuit of Hosmer could hinge on how much confidence the organization is willing to put in Bird going forward. He is still young, and if healthy, has star potential.

5 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Years ago an article quoted Angelos as saying he couldn't spend on pitching and keep ticket prices "within reach of ordinary fans". Whatever that means.

I’m not sure what that means either. I spell a helluva lot of my hard-earned dollars on my seats and products sold at the ballgame. 

4 hours ago, weird-O said:

His objection to pitchers is that they only play 1 in 5 games, but cost significantly more than the guys who go out there every day. That opinion alone, is all anyone need know, to answer the question, why have the O's had so little success under his ownership group.

That's...

Seriously?

(Mostly) speechless.

Cobb was on the top of my list when I looked in August at the FA pitchers.  There are a lot of plusses.  Been successful in the AL East. just turned 30, has upside to be near the top of the rotation, had a nice firs year coming back from TJ throwing 180IP and a 3.66 ERA.  I think he missed some starts this yar with turf toe but nothing arm related.  And typically the second full year back is when pitchers coming off TJ really turn it loose.  Some are worried about him being injury prone,  but I think already having the TJ is a plus actually.  

I'm just afraid other teams will see his potential as a one or two and his price goes into the Leake and Smardjen range.  5yr/90mil.  And I think Cobb is better than those two.  So I guess what I'm saying is we will probably end up with a declining Estrada and Vargas on Gallardo type deals.  Whooopeee!!!  Like DD cautioned, its a thin and expensive market.  That's code for "we are shopping at the bent and dent again""!   

On 10/5/2017 at 2:13 PM, CROUSEMAN said:

Cobb was on the top of my list when I looked in August at the FA pitchers.  There are a lot of plusses.  Been successful in the AL East. just turned 30, has upside to be near the top of the rotation, had a nice firs year coming back from TJ throwing 180IP and a 3.66 ERA.  I think he missed some starts this yar with turf toe but nothing arm related.  And typically the second full year back is when pitchers coming off TJ really turn it loose.  Some are worried about him being injury prone,  but I think already having the TJ is a plus actually.  

I'm just afraid other teams will see his potential as a one or two and his price goes into the Leake and Smardjen range.  5yr/90mil.  And I think Cobb is better than those two.  So I guess what I'm saying is we will probably end up with a declining Estrada and Vargas on Gallardo type deals.  Whooopeee!!!  Like DD cautioned, its a thin and expensive market.  That's code for "we are shopping at the bent and dent again""!   

Cobb would be my pick as well. I actually think bundy is our number 1 but i think we need a guy like cobb to show bundy how to carry the load.

it is almost like we need the pitching equivalent for bundy, gausman, and harvey what j.j. Hardy did for schoop and machado. Any competent front office would know this and also know that tillman and jimenez don't fit that bill.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:13 PM, CROUSEMAN said:

Cobb was on the top of my list when 

If we go that route, we're not serious and we should just trade machado.

if i am gm, i go for cobb plus one of those lesser pitchers and i go right away. No bs about waiting for the market to set itself.

once i do that, i go to machado and say, we're going for it but not just this year, every year. We want you and schoop batting next to each other for the next five years. I tell him i want him and schoop to be baltimore's version of ramirez and ortiz. I show him a mock up of his statue next to the statues of brooks, eddie, palmer, and cal and tell him that he can go down as the best third baseman in o's history. I tell him if he wants to play here, we'll sign schoop long term right now

but, hey, what do i know

i just wish we had that chris davis money back