Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

The difference good coaching makes

20 posts in this topic

Interesting read. Coaches like John Harbaugh, who aren't as savvy with the X's & O's are getting weeded out and losing to their more cerebral counterparts. It's not just the X's & O's part- as the article discusses the Rookie Wage Scale keeping prices for players from ballooning- it comes down to strong drafting. Those who draft better, will be paying less for those better/younger players. At one point in time that would've given us such an advantage. But as of today- we are at a disadvantage in that dept. Look at the Chiefs- they've been absolutely killing it in the draft. Same with the Raiders. Both of those teams have some great drafts behind them and it's starting to show in their Win Loss Columns.

As for us- I wonder if Harbaugh gets canned if we go 8-8 or worse?? How many times can we use injuries as an excuse? I know we've had more than our fair share so it's gets muddy to an extent.

40 minutes ago, poefolks said:

Interesting read. Coaches like John Harbaugh, who aren't as savvy with the X's & O's are getting weeded out and losing to their more cerebral counterparts. It's not just the X's & O's part- as the article discusses the Rookie Wage Scale keeping prices for players from ballooning- it comes down to strong drafting. Those who draft better, will be paying less for those better/younger players. At one point in time that would've given us such an advantage. But as of today- we are at a disadvantage in that dept. Look at the Chiefs- they've been absolutely killing it in the draft. Same with the Raiders. Both of those teams have some great drafts behind them and it's starting to show in their Win Loss Columns.

As for us- I wonder if Harbaugh gets canned if we go 8-8 or worse?? How many times can we use injuries as an excuse? I know we've had more than our fair share so it's gets muddy to an extent.

Exactly.

The Harbaugh/Flacco alliance has likely reached the end.  Things worked out for a bunch of years, but the offense is obviously regressing over the past couple seasons.  And I include Flacco since he's the only real common factor on the offensive side during the Harbaugh era.

While the Raiders are looking good now, I wouldn't want to go through the decade that got them here.  :o

12 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

The Harbaugh/Flacco alliance has likely reached the end.  Things worked out for a bunch of years, but the offense is obviously regressing over the past couple seasons.  And I include Flacco since he's the only real common factor on the offensive side during the Harbaugh era.

While the Raiders are looking good now, I wouldn't want to go through the decade that got them here.  :o

Did you read the article from start to finish?

13 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Did you read the article from start to finish?

It wouldn't open yesterday so I offered a random opinion.

After reading it this morning, I'm shocked the Ravens weren't also discussed.  The creative plays of run up the middle, dump off/screen pass and throw short on 3rd and long have been showing incredible dividends with the offense this year.  :lol:

Interesting that they talk about Goff and the success with play action.  Flacco used to do well with it so naturally the Ravens rarely use it anymore.

15 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

It wouldn't open yesterday so I offered a random opinion.

After reading it this morning, I'm shocked the Ravens weren't also discussed.  The creative plays of run up the middle, dump off/screen pass and throw short on 3rd and long have been showing incredible dividends with the offense this year.  :lol:

Interesting that they talk about Goff and the success with play action.  Flacco used to do well with it so naturally the Ravens rarely use it anymore.

LOL. Yeah. It's a real shocker, isn't it?

;)

And also, along with innovative coaching, success requires consistent hits in the draft because of cap issues. When you have spotty drafts and questionable coaching, you have...the Ravens. :D

I think Harbaugh is in the same state as Buck with the Orioles.  He brought some great success to the team, but it's obvious the approach has gone stale and there doesn't seem to be a substantial effort to change.

55 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I think Harbaugh is in the same state as Buck with the Orioles.  He brought some great success to the team, but it's obvious the approach has gone stale and there doesn't seem to be a substantial effort to change.

I agree. I definitely preferred him to Rex (And Billick). And at first, things seemed to be going well. But from the outset, his choice in coordinators left a lot to be desired. It started with Greg Mattison. Then Cam. Then Trestman. Then Castillo. And Pees. And Mornhinweg. And Rossburg (who, in 5 years, hasn't figured out how to coach his players to return punts without penalties). It's his major downfall.

So do you guys think Biscotti will tolerate another non playoff season?

I personally think he's gone if we miss the playoffs- even if we have a "winning" record.

1 minute ago, poefolks said:

I personally think he's gone if we miss the playoffs- even if we have a "winning" record.

I agree.

1 hour ago, poefolks said:

No, I think he'll ride the "injuries were too much to overcome" ticket again and Bisciotti will bring him back in 2018.  That said, one or two more offensive lemons and I think we're on to yet another offensive coordinator. 

33 minutes ago, poefolks said:

I think Harbaugh needs to not only make the playoffs but win at least one game to keep his job.  If the Ravens go 9-7 and get massacred in the Wild Card round, I think he still gets whacked.  

That was a good article.  Since it mentions the influence of the current college game on the NFL, here's something I don't get:

The Ravens have a coach and GM who have deep, strong ties to (respectively) the Big 10 and SEC.  Isn't there some hungry, innovative young-ish DBs coach or OL coach in those conferences who the Ravens should take a gamble on?  Instead of just being the team that hires old fart retreds (Pees, Trestman, Cameron, Morninhweg, etc) through the good ol' boy network?  

I'm saying going "younger" is a panacea but at least it would show some imagination and creativity, two qualities we don't see anywhere in this organization.  

2 hours ago, jamesdean said:

That said, one or two more offensive lemons and I think we're on to yet another offensive coordinator. 

Hey, it works for evil overlords.

Firing a coordinator is an easy way to "show the fans" you're "doing something". The problem, at this point, is that the guy choosing the replacements has missed much more than he has hit. Roman is probably there as a backstop in case he "has to" fire Moldy Wig.

7 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Hey, it works for evil overlords.

Firing a coordinator is an easy way to "show the fans" you're "doing something". The problem, at this point, is that the guy choosing the replacements has missed much more than he has hit. Roman is probably there as a backstop in case he "has to" fire Moldy Wig.

Roman will be the OC before the end of the season. I'd say midway.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Roman will be the OC before the end of the season. I'd say midway.

Yep...unless there's a major breakthrough over the next few games, he's pretty much gone.  Oh well, Roman likes to run the ball. ;)

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

Yep...unless there's a major breakthrough over the next few games, he's pretty much gone.  Oh well, Roman likes to run the ball. ;)

He's your guy, then. And I think he's better than MM. But who knows. They've got nothing to work with, so really...IMO, there's nothing even to talk about or debate. It is what it is.

31 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

He's your guy, then. And I think he's better than MM. But who knows. They've got nothing to work with, so really...IMO, there's nothing even to talk about or debate. It is what it is.

Fire the OC because you can't fire the QB.

IMO if the Ravens have a Top 10 draft pick I could see them drafting a QB, for the new coach. 

22 hours ago, JasonM said:

That was a good article.  Since it mentions the influence of the current college game on the NFL, here's something I don't get:

The Ravens have a coach and GM who have deep, strong ties to (respectively) the Big 10 and SEC.  Isn't there some hungry, innovative young-ish DBs coach or OL coach in those conferences who the Ravens should take a gamble on?  Instead of just being the team that hires old fart retreds (Pees, Trestman, Cameron, Morninhweg, etc) through the good ol' boy network?  

I'm saying going "younger" is a panacea but at least it would show some imagination and creativity, two qualities we don't see anywhere in this organization.  

He did hire a good one, Kubiak who left after one year and took Denver to the Super Bowl. Maybe he either thinks a younger guy would get his job or would be here & gone to a bigger job.