Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncbirdfan

Baseball America's JJ Cooper: O's farm "taken a big step forward"

70 posts in this topic

Cooper said the O’s had a strong year on the farm: “There have been a lot of fallow times in the Orioles farm system over the years. But you look now and can say that this is one of the more promising Orioles farm systems that I can remember in many years.

“We had them coming into the year ranked No. 27 (in organizational rankings) and they were No. 27 the year before that. Now very fair to say they will be nowhere near the bottom of the list this next year and they are a top half farm system, at least right now.”

“You look at the draft they had this year and DL Hall is one of the better prep pitchers in that class. But they also had some draftees this year at (short-season Single-A) Aberdeen that were impressive. Zac Lowther is a crafty lefty that always seems to get swings and misses. Mike Baumann from Jacksonville has legit stuff. Even having Tobias Myers there allowed them to get Tim Beckham. And he had the best month of his life after the trade.

“There is more pitching in the system than there has been in a while and there now are hitters. That Double-A (Bowie) club had a number of guys you say you are going to see in the major leagues. Guys like Ryan Mountcastle, Cedric Mullins, a really good defender in center, DJ Stewart - this team has a number of guys to be interested in on the farm than it has in years.”

This is certainly good news for an otherwise disappointing season. :)

Posted (edited)

There is a lot of pitching because they drafted a ton of it, I think in '16. That draft was mostly pitchers. I remember thinking, "Guess their plan is to throw a lot of pitchers at the wall and see if any of 'em stick".

Give the farm system a year or two to ruin and injure those pitchers, or to discover that they were gems in college or high school but cannot be trained to the major league level, as has happened with distressing regularity over the last few years. Look at the guys they drafted in the top five, and how few of them met expectations. Even Britton, a gem at closer, counts here - no one drafts closers in the first round, they draft starters. They nearly ruined Bundy's arm, and it's still unclear if he can withstand the rigors of a full season. Gausman, predicted to be an ace, looks like he has peaked and is no better than a #2 or #3 starter.

It's encouraging, but one good year won't do it for me.

They've produced some nice position players, like Manny (who I suspect is headed to free agency at the end of '18). But when pitching is what you need, if your farm system can't provide it, it is failing you.

Edited by Evil Yoda

9 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

There is a lot of pitching because they drafted a ton of it, I think in '16. That draft was mostly pitchers. I remember thinking, "Guess their plan is to throw a lot of pitchers at the wall and see if any of 'em stick".

Give the farm system a year or two to ruin and injure those pitchers, or to discover that they were gems in college or high school but cannot be trained to the major league level, as has happened with distressing regularity over the last few years. Look at the guys they drafted in the top five, and how few of them met expectations. Even Britton, a gem at closer, counts here - no one drafts closers in the first round, they draft starters. They nearly ruined Bundy's arm, and it's still unclear if he can withstand the rigors of a full season. Gausman, predicted to be an ace, looks like he has peaked and is no better than a #2 or #3 starter.

It's encouraging, but one good year won't do it for me.

They've produced some nice position players, like Manny (who I suspect is headed to free agency at the end of '18). But when pitching is what you need, if your farm system can't provide it, it is failing you.

I'd say you're being pessimistic, but until they produce a quality pitcher, you're right on the money. The best they've done, since Mussina, is Bedard. And Bedard isn't much to be proud of. 

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

I'd say you're being pessimistic, but until they produce a quality pitcher, you're right on the money. The best they've done, since Mussina, is Bedard. And Bedard isn't much to be proud of. 

Bedard could have been great if he just gave a ****. But he didn't and was a constant whiner.

35 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Great they will be traded for the Mileys and Ubaldos of the world 

Do you think they can get a great return like that again? ;)

He thinks D.J. Stewart is good?  Is he blind?

12 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

I haven't heard anything good about that guy's development. 

.378 OBP??? That's WAY too high for Team Buck. He needs to hit a few more HRs and drop that OBP down to the low .300s...

There definitely seems to be a problem developing pitchers for this team.

3 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

.378 OBP??? That's WAY too high for Team Buck. He needs to hit a few more HRs and drop that OBP down to the low .300s...

I'd laugh, if any part of your post wasn't 100% true. -_-

On 10/5/2017 at 0:33 PM, ncbirdfan said:

Cooper said the O’s had a strong year on the farm: “There have been a lot of fallow times in the Orioles farm system over the years. But you look now and can say that this is one of the more promising Orioles farm systems that I can remember in many years.

“We had them coming into the year ranked No. 27 (in organizational rankings) and they were No. 27 the year before that. Now very fair to say they will be nowhere near the bottom of the list this next year and they are a top half farm system, at least right now.”

“You look at the draft they had this year and DL Hall is one of the better prep pitchers in that class. But they also had some draftees this year at (short-season Single-A) Aberdeen that were impressive. Zac Lowther is a crafty lefty that always seems to get swings and misses. Mike Baumann from Jacksonville has legit stuff. Even having Tobias Myers there allowed them to get Tim Beckham. And he had the best month of his life after the trade.

“There is more pitching in the system than there has been in a while and there now are hitters. That Double-A (Bowie) club had a number of guys you say you are going to see in the major leagues. Guys like Ryan Mountcastle, Cedric Mullins, a really good defender in center, DJ Stewart - this team has a number of guys to be interested in on the farm than it has in years.”

This is certainly good news for an otherwise disappointing season. :)

Hey didn't someone here post that Mountcastle was a bad pick? :lol:

43 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Hey didn't someone here post that Mountcastle was a bad pick? :lol:

Yeah, I do believe so. Now what was his name? ;) You know I posted that I liked the pick back then. His hitting was never a question; just finding a place for him defensively is the question that needs to be answered.

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Yeah, I do believe so. Now what was his name? ;) You know I posted that I liked the pick back then. His hitting was never a question; just finding a place for him defensively is the question that needs to be answered.

Yep, he's projected to be a COFer. Ugh...it seems like this team is over loaded with nothing but COF types. 

7 hours ago, weird-O said:

Yep, he's projected to be a COFer. Ugh...it seems like this team is over loaded with nothing but COF types. 

Having a surplus is a good thing. I remember not too long ago when the Orioles didn't have hardly any good players at any positions.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:23 PM, Slidemaster said:

I have a great deal of respect for your baseball acumen but, this guy's full time job is looking at and evaluating prospects. His job is not only to look at these players with his own eyes but to pick the brains of the scouts, couches, and officials throughout the leagues.

so, if he's singled out Stewart as a positive i am going to lean toward his analysis as opposed to your opinion which, let's face it, tends to be more on the 'my toilet's backed up' side of life.

of course, ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding

10 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Having a surplus is a good thing. I remember not too long ago when the Orioles didn't have hardly any good players at any positions.

Having a surplus of pitching is a good thing. Having a surplus of COFers, while having a dearth of talent on the mound and in the middle of the field, isn't an organizational strength. Having something is better than having nothing, but the league is overflowing with 1Bmen and COFers types. Those aren't usually tough positions to fill.

Now, if that COF surplus was stacked with highly rated players, who could be traded to fill other needs, that would be a different story. I don't know enough about those players, to know if they qualify as highly rated.  

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Having a surplus of pitching is a good thing. Having a surplus of COFers, while having a dearth of talent on the mound and in the middle of the field, isn't an organizational strength. Having something is better than having nothing, but the league is overflowing with 1Bmen and COFers types. Those aren't usually tough positions to fill.

Now, if that COF surplus was stacked with highly rated players, who could be traded to fill other needs, that would be a different story. I don't know enough about those players, to know if they qualify as highly rated.  

I agree with you. Pitching would be my choice to have a surplus. I was comparing this farm system to that of a decade earlier; I'm definitely not claiming it is bursting at the seams with talent - just that, for once, there is talent there. If it has more than enough COFers then hopefully they can trade them for an area where they are weak.

12 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I agree with you. Pitching would be my choice to have a surplus. I was comparing this farm system to that of a decade earlier; I'm definitely not claiming it is bursting at the seams with talent - just that, for once, there is talent there. If it has more than enough COFers then hopefully they can trade them for an area where they are weak.

True, the O's had a string of GMs who weren't very effective at building the farm system. That's my main complaint about McPhail. That guy was terrible at drafting. But he was good with trades. DD seems to be good at drafting, but his trades have been shortsighted.

22 hours ago, weird-O said:

True, the O's had a string of GMs who weren't very effective at building the farm system. That's my main complaint about McPhail. That guy was terrible at drafting. But he was good with trades. DD seems to be good at drafting, but his trades have been shortsighted.

I think DD's trading record is a wash. He definitely traded away some pitchers who could have helped the Orioles, but he also brought in some decent talent. And at the end of the day, it's the owner who is the constant of every deal made by the Orioles. IMO DD is doing very well considering who he works for. It's no wonder he tried to get out and work for an AL East opponent.

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

I think DD's trading record is a wash. He definitely traded away some pitchers who could have helped the Orioles, but he also brought in some decent talent. And at the end of the day, it's the owner who is the constant of every deal made by the Orioles. IMO DD is doing very well considering who he works for. It's no wonder he tried to get out and work for an AL East opponent.

As a whole, I'm happy with DD and the results. I won't bother with the list of moves I approve/disapprove of, they've all been discussed. But I agree that Pete presents challenges and limitations that other GMs don't deal with.  

They should just draft the best position players available. Wasting their time with pitchers.

22 hours ago, weird-O said:

As a whole, I'm happy with DD and the results. I won't bother with the list of moves I approve/disapprove of, they've all been discussed. But I agree that Pete presents challenges and limitations that other GMs don't deal with.  

Its hard for me to separate DD's work from the Pete/Buck thumb in the soup influence.  But as a whole my biggest complaint (Ravens man has said same) is that the team did not add enough good, core players to the stash that MacPhail left behind.  Guys that were here 3 years or more that you could build around and were steady contributors.  I can think of Gaus, Chen, Brach and Trumbo.  Add in the negative signings of UJ, Davis, Hardy and O'Day as core guys, and it doesn't look so good over 6 years.  Thus the bottom is starting to fall out.