Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Post Season Thread Anyone?

557 posts in this topic

Verlander has come up big for Houston in game one. I think Boston is going to have trouble beating those guys.

I'd never underestimate the Yankees in the post season so I am interested to see if Cleveland can get past them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea for this thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Good idea for this thread!

I feel bad for the Twins. The Yanks have had their number in the post season. 

I didn't realize but the Yankees got Judge from Oakland in a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

I feel bad for the Twins. The Yanks have had their number in the post season. 

I didn't realize but the Yankees got Judge from Oakland in a trade.

Nice job Beane. 

And Jose Altuve... wow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Nice job Beane. 

And Jose Altuve... wow. 

If I was commissioner. 

I'd move the A's to Montreal, the Jays to the Central, the Royals to west, and the Rays to Charlotte.

Or, the A's to Van Couver and the Rays to Montreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

If I was commissioner. 

I'd move the A's to Montreal, the Jays to the Central, the Royals to west, and the Rays to Charlotte.

Or, the A's to Van Couver and the Rays to Montreal.

I would undo the stupid intentional walk thing they just implemented and unjuice the ball. I'd also go back to the old wildcard format.

Edited by Heisenberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What is galling is the talk about speeding up the game.

If they want to speed up the game, shorten the breaks between innings but they will never do that because it cuts into ad revenue.

Edited by JoyinMudville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the Orioles tanked I stopped paying attention.

Jay Bruce is on the Indians?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predictions:

Houston over Boston

Cleveland over yankees

Nats over Cubs

Dodgers over AZ

Cleveland beats Nats in WS in 6 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland has dominated the Yankees all year. I wouldn't be surprised if they Sweep

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't quite understand Cleveland not starting Corey Kluber in Game 1. I get it that Trevor Bauer has pitched lights out down the stretch, but starting in place of the likely Cy Young winner? Tonight's game showed how much I know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Houston-Boston might be a short series, particularly if Boston's starting pitchers keep burying them early in games. The Red Sox don't have the homerun thump this year to help get them back in games quickly. Poor starting pitching is what got the Red Sox a quick hook in last year's ALDS against the Tribe.

Here's the breakdown for Boston's starting pitchers in their last four postseason games. I didn't realize they had struggled quite this much.

2016 Porcello: 4.1 ip, 6 h, 5 r, 5 er, 0 bb, 6 k
2016 Price: 3.1 ip, 6 h, 5 r, 5 er, 2 bb, 3 k
2016 Buchholz: 4.0 ip, 6 h, 2 r, 2 er, 1 bb, 4 k
2017 Sale: 5.0 ip, 9 h, 7 r, 7 er, 1 bb, 6 k

Totals: 16.2 ip, 25 h, 19 r, 19 er, 4 bb, 19 k, 10.26 era, 1.74 whip, 10.3 k/9

Now obviously neither Price nor Buchholz will factor in this year, but it's not a good predicament when facing a high OPS team such as Houston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

I feel bad for the Twins. The Yanks have had their number in the post season. 

I didn't realize but the Yankees got Judge from Oakland in a trade.

According to his page, the A's drafted Judge in 2010, but he didn't sign. He reentered the draft in 2013, and the Yankees drafted him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I couldn't quite understand Cleveland not starting Corey Kluber in Game 1. I get it that Trevor Bauer has pitched lights out down the stretch, but starting in place of the likely Cy Young winner? Tonight's game showed how much I know.

 

Bauer has pitched well in the 2nd half of the season. Franconia was pretty confident in him and it paid off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Mentioned this is another thread, but it's amazing what Altuve did yesterday in one post season game especially in comparison to all the Oriole 'sluggers' who clearly cant hit post season pitching.  

Altuve produced more in one game than all the Oriole 'power bats' have combined in multiple post season games. Makes you wonder 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Mentioned this is another thread, but it's amazing what Altuve did yesterday in one post season game especially in comparison to all the Oriole 'sluggers' who clearly cant hit post season pitching.  

Altuve produced more in one game than all the Oriole 'power bats' have combined in multiple post season games. Makes you wonder 

Sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Mentioned this is another thread, but it's amazing what Altuve did yesterday in one post season game especially in comparison to all the Oriole 'sluggers' who clearly cant hit post season pitching.  

Altuve produced more in one game than all the Oriole 'power bats' have combined in multiple post season games. Makes you wonder 

Altuve has hit a combined .334 over the past 4 major league seasons, with an OBP just below .390.  

See, he puts the bat on the ball consistently.  Consistently being the key word here.  Well, that and "he puts the bat on the ball".

The Orioles lineup heavy on "sluggers" don't concern themselves very much with putting the bat on the ball consistently.  Which is why they have routinely fizzled out in October air against rested and coordinated opposing rotations.  All those July and August 3 to 5 HR games they like to pump out their chest over don't come as easily after the calendar says September...

Edited by Ravens2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Altuve has hit a combined .334 over the past 4 major league seasons, with an OBP just below .390.  

See, he puts the bat on the ball consistently.  Consistently being the key word here.  Well, that and "he puts the bat on the ball".

The Orioles lineup heavy on "sluggers" don't concern themselves very much with putting the bat on the ball consistently.  Which is why they have routinely fizzled out in October air against rested and coordinated opposing rotations.  All those July and August 3 to 5 HR games they like to pump out their chest over don't come as easily after the calendar says September...

Well said. It's simple math really. The more you put the bat on the ball and put the ball in play the better chance you have to get baserunners and produce runs. 

The same goes for being patient which usually goes hand in hand with being a contact hitter. Be selective, make the pitcher work and maybe draw a walk instead of flailing at anything they throw trying to hit the ball 500 feet 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Altuve has hit a combined .334 over the past 4 major league seasons, with an OBP just below .390.  

See, he puts the bat on the ball consistently.  Consistently being the key word here.  Well, that and "he puts the bat on the ball".

The Orioles lineup heavy on "sluggers" don't concern themselves very much with putting the bat on the ball consistently.  Which is why they have routinely fizzled out in October air against rested and coordinated opposing rotations.  All those July and August 3 to 5 HR games they like to pump out their chest over don't come as easily after the calendar says September...

Altuve is the Tony Gwynn of this era

Edited by soulflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Altuve is the Tony Gwynn of this era

I was thinking that while watching his first AB today. He probably the best all around hitter in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red sox being pummeled which is great. The Stros real. Look how far the O's are away from competing .Sad.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Gwynn, George Brett, Paul Molitor... these are the guys that coaches should be trying to mold their players to be at a young age.  

Gwynn was always my favorite as a kid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you imagine the Fighting Showalters/ Mighty Duquette's playing the Astros in a division series or ALCS? LMAO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Could you imagine the Fighting Showalters/ Mighty Duquette's playing the Astros in a division series or ALCS? LMAO 

Its really time to face the music. Petey. dd and buck are dinosaurs. We will not win, cant win with these guys in this structure,  I mean league or ws championship, Pathetic front office action which includes Buck. Anyone who thinks Buck isn't culpable in part for this pathetic team is just sticking their head in the sand. He was terrible this year!  Thumb in soup !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Its really time to face the music. Petey. dd and buck are dinosaurs. We will not win, cant win with these guys in this structure,  I mean league or ws championship, Pathetic front office action which includes Buck. Anyone who thinks Buck isn't culpable in part for this pathetic team is just sticking their head in the sand. He was terrible this year!  Thumb in soup !

It's sad watching the playoffs and thinking of what might have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0