Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Post Season Thread Anyone?

371 posts in this topic

It's time to accept that the Orioles front office, management (Buck included), scouting and player development (particularly for pitchers) is an absolute joke. 

What more evidence does one need than the on the field performance of the team, the horrid performance of guys Buck and Duquette acquired and stuck with as well as the success of all the players they have traded/ given away.

Not sure what it's gonna take for ownership to make some changes. As things stand now it's a sad state of affairs. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

12 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

It's time to accept that the Orioles front office, management (Buck included), scouting and player development (particularly for pitchers) is an absolute joke. 

What more evidence does one need than the on the field performance of the team, the horrid performance of guys Buck and Duquette acquired and stuck with as well as the success of all the players they have traded/ given away.

Not sure what it's gonna take for ownership to make some changes. As things stand now it's a sad state of affairs. 

I agree, but what choice do we have but to be all in next year?  I mean you know that's what Pete, DD and Buck want to do.  I'll play along one more year, then clean house and rebuild.

3 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I agree, but what choice do we have but to be all in next year?  I mean you know that's what Pete, DD and Buck want to do.  I'll play along one more year, then clean house and rebuild.

You can't find a good SP on a 1 yr deal.

8 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

You can't find a good SP on a 1 yr deal.

LOL, right you are my friend.  They have to bite the bullet and use most of their available money on two starting pitchers.  I think they should have 35-40 mil open.  Cobb is your first target and then you need a LH.  I think they have 66mil coming offthe books, but they have some big arb raises.

Edited by CROUSEMAN

The Os should trade Manny in the off-season and rebuild the team around the top prospects they get in return

Radical idea I know but does anyone think the Orioles will sign Manny after next season? 

24 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I agree there isn't really another option other than to go for it next year (unless they start the rebuild early and trade guys this offseason). 

But going all in for next year will require some strategic additions made this off season and Buck and Duquette letting some of their guys go (UJ, Miley, Hardy etc). I just have no faith in them or the organization to do this effectively.  Hope I'm pleasantly surprised. 

I guess a third option, which wouldn't surprise me, is if they stand pat, bring back garbage players like UJ and Miley for a year and say "we like our guys!!" That actually wouldn't surprise me at all. So pathetic.  

Edited by BayAreaBmore

7 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

I agree there isn't really another option other than to go for it next year (unless they start the rebuild early and trade guys this offseason). 

But going all in for next year will require some strategic additions made this off season and Buck and Duquette letting some of their guys go (UJ, Miley, Hardy etc). I just have no faith in them or the organization to do this effectively.  Hope I'm pleasantly surprised. 

I guess a third option, which wouldn't surprise me, is if they stand pat, bring back garbage players like UJ and Miley for a year and say "we like our guys!!" That actually wouldn't surprise me at all. So pathetic.  

Yeah agree it will take some sharp skills to pull off the proper re-load.  Reading between lines, DD sounds like he is ready to say good bye to most of "their guys" .  But Buck will have a say and if the past is any indication, his thumb will be squarely in the soup for guys who cant play anymore.  UJ, Hrdy, Flash, Tilly, Smith, Miley, Hlickson all should be shown the door.  Castillo is going tleave as well.  I'd realy like them to shop Trumbo as well.  Try and find a your junk for my junk deal .  There are teams out there desperate for a power bat lie KC andSt Louis.

23 minutes ago, soulflower said:

The Os should trade Manny in the off-season and rebuild the team around the top prospects they get in return

Radical idea I know but does anyone think the Orioles will sign Manny after next season? 

At this point, it seems clear that they aren't going to resign him. He went to them with an offer, and they appear to have told him, "not now". I'm all for trading him. If the $40M/yr estimates are true, that's simply too much money to invest in one player. The O's aren't poor, but that kind of money can't be locked up into one player. And just like the Davis deal, extending Manny doesn't make the team better, tit just makes them more expensive. 

As I've said many times, Buck and DD aren't going to make any moves that sacrifice the present, for a future they won't be here for.  

20 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

If they don't do this, I'll be floored. It's totally what I expect to see happen.

43 minutes ago, weird-O said:

At this point, it seems clear that they aren't going to resign him. He went to them with an offer, and they appear to have told him, "not now". I'm all for trading him. If the $40M/yr estimates are true, that's simply too much money to invest in one player. The O's aren't poor, but that kind of money can't be locked up into one player. And just like the Davis deal, extending Manny doesn't make the team better, tit just makes them more expensive. 

As I've said many times, Buck and DD aren't going to make any moves that sacrifice the present, for a future they won't be here for.  

I could see teams like the Red Sox, Marlins, or Dodgers jumping at the opportunity to trade for Manny. Even Toronto might show interest. 

The Marlins are most interesting because they are in serious rebuilding mode and Manny might prefer to go home to Miami. 

Edited by soulflower

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I could see teams like the Red Sox, Marlins, or Dodgers jumping at the opportunity to trade for Manny. Even Toronto might show interest. 

The Marlins are most interesting because they are in serious rebuilding mode and Manny might prefer to go home to Miami. 

I don't consider Miami a legit possibility. They're generally not big spenders. And they already have their superstar big $$$ player. 

10 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I don't consider Miami a legit possibility. They're generally not big spenders. And they already have their superstar big $$$ player. 

New owners. Derek Jeter seems to be interested in making big changes 

11 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Yankees are a perfect fit.  Plus they have the prospects.  Back in the day 1976 I think we did a deal with the Yanks that built our 79 and 83 WS teams.  Picked up McGregor, Dempsey and Tippy Martinez among others.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, johnpolitics said:

Dusty Baker s the man to do that!

I love Dusty. 3 time MOY. 

We aren't hitting.

This is what I don't get-people criticize Dusty, but Buck bringing in Ubaldo while leaving Britton in the BP? That is textbook implosion and ineptitude.

The Nats just aren't hitting. Not Dusty's fault.

18 minutes ago, weird-O said:

We all know Manny should be traded. The baseball gods know. GM's know it.

But we have Dan Duquette. So...

12 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

We aren't hitting.

This is what I don't get-people criticize Dusty, but Buck bringing in Ubaldo while leaving Britton in the BP? That is textbook implosion and ineptitude.

I don't know anyone who gave Buck a pass on the UJ instead of ZB decision. Not a single person, unless pitbull counts. I believe he's figured out a way to blame DD for it. :) 

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I don't know anyone who gave Buck a pass on the UJ instead of ZB decision. Not a single person, unless pitbull counts. I believe he's figured out a way to blame DD for it. :) 

Foresight 

12 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Well-Dusty and Buck are both good managers. I just haven't seen Dusty have a brain fart. More just bad luck and past mismanagement of the pitching staff. He has been fine this series minus his love of Jayson Werth in the lineup tonight:)

3 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

We aren't hitting.

But it was Matt Williams fault. The Nats screwed him.

Hendricks pitching for the Cubs kinda of reminds me of Gausman... light-weight, skinny, not intimidating and getting shelled early. 

10 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Hendricks pitching for the Cubs kinda of reminds me of Gausman... light-weight, skinny, not intimidating and getting shelled early. 

Baker has 7 innings to blow it. 

We should start a long-running thread featuring predictions on the date of the O's next postseason game.

If there's a team in the majors that's worse than the Cubs in the clutch (O's not withstanding) I'd hate to see that team. The Cubs blow with RISP.