Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Post Season Thread Anyone?

373 posts in this topic

MLB replay is an absolutely joke. I don't ever want to hear any more BS about "indisputable" or "clear and convincing evidence". There is absolutely no way you could tell if Rizzo's glove stayed on when the foot came off the bag   

Edit: just saw the other angle. Still can't tell if the glove is 100% on the body. Could still be a centimeter off. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

8 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Well there goes that masn money

Nats are as bad as the Orioles in the playoffs. Although at least they started scoring runs which the Orioles can't do vs post season pitching, or vs average pitching for that matter lol 

One of the weirdest games I've seen in a while, particularly the top of the fifth inning. An intentional walk, passed-ball strikeout, catcher's interference, and a HBP came one after the other--and all with two outs and with Max Scherzer on the mound. According to Baseball Reference, never have those four plays occurred in the same inning, and only five times in the same game. Strange days, indeed.

I think Jayson Werth's National League days are over. He's at the point now where he'd have a hard time getting out of the way of a cold front. The guy simply cannot cover any ground. If his career is to continue, he's likely going to have to try and find work as a DH.

Edited by mdrunning

1 hour ago, BayAreaBmore said:

MLB replay is an absolutely joke. I don't ever want to hear any more BS about "indisputable" or "clear and convincing evidence". There is absolutely no way you could tell if Rizzo's glove stayed on when the foot came off the bag   

Edit: just saw the other angle. Still can't tell if the glove is 100% on the body. Could still be a centimeter off. 

This photo seems to confirm that the replay ruling was correct.

https://twitter.com/kesh25/status/918694518660087810/photo/1

Edited by mdrunning

4 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Dear Nats Fans

Matt is who we thought he was

Welcome to the offseason,

Os

If you mean a much better game caller than Wellington Castillo who appears to know the rulebook better than the umpiring crew in last night's game... then I'd agree. :)

5 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Which is not irrefutable evidence, thus they shouldn't have overturned the initial 'safe' call. 

That was a terrible decision last night. Those umps got together and saw what they wanted to see. 

6 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Nats are as bad as the Orioles in the playoffs. Although at least they started scoring runs which the Orioles can't do vs post season pitching, or vs average pitching for that matter lol 

Orioles at least made it to an ALCS.  How many division round losses is this for the Nats now?

Three eye-popping calls/non-calls last night all went against the Nationals:

1) Batter hitting Weiters in the head/helmet while he's in his catchers' box should've been a dead ball, period. Ump screwed the pooch by not knowing the very rulebook he uses to perform his job.

2) Jay's slide into 2nd base should've been called as interference. The very reason that rule is in place is to prevent any more dirty slides that inflict injury, and Jay's slide was leg up  and out to impede the fielder. Out. 

3) Still waiting on the irrefutable proof that justifies overturning the call at 1st base re: Rizzo's tag on Lobaton. That's why calls like that usually stand. Lack of proof. 

On the swing in to Wieters' mask issue... that's a matter in which all pro sports that have some level of replay need to just use some common sense and fix things. When EVERYONE watching on TV can see something as clear as day and an on-field official CLEARLY missed it / made a bad call... often within 5 to 10 seconds of the play happening... before the next play has started... an on-site official needs to be able to stop action and ensure that the right call is made. For baseball, beyond subjective ball / strike calls, nothing should be "unreviewable". And if you enforce a pitch clock and DRASTICALLY reduce the number of timeouts granted to batters, I'd bet the fate of humanity that the time saved there would far outweigh the time lost to additional reviews.

Edited by Ravens2006

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Thanks for sending. I'm not so sure about that photo though so I agree maybe it 'seems to confirm'.  Why does it look like Lobaton's hand is going through the glove. Something not right there. 

Again I guess my point is that there is supposed to be indisputable evidence in order to overturn a call. I've just seen too many times where the league overturns calls that simply don't have that kind of evidence. It's like the guys in NY are just changing the call to how they'd like to see it instead of looking at it objectively. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

4 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Any Predictions for the ALCS and NLCS?

NY took down a better team who had them on the ropes. NY can win it. 

7 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Orioles at least made it to an ALCS.  How many division round losses is this for the Nats now?

They are the Cincinnati Bengals of baseball.

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

They are the Cincinnati Bengals of baseball.

Is Dusty Baker now Marvin Lewis ..???

11 hours ago, EnochRoot said:

Which is not irrefutable evidence, thus they shouldn't have overturned the initial 'safe' call. 

That was a terrible decision last night. Those umps got together and saw what they wanted to see. 

There is definitely dirt between each of the runner's shoes and the base in that photo. I'd call that pretty strong evidence.

Edited by mdrunning

4 hours ago, soulflower said:

Any Predictions for the ALCS and NLCS?

Astros Dodgers.

I wanted the Red Sox, Nationals, Indians, and Yankees out, so 3 out of 4 isn't bad. Hope it's Astros / Cubs in the WS... with a Cubs repeat. But I'd be content with an Astros win too...

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

There is definitely dirt between each of the runner's shoes and the base in that photo. I'd call that pretty strong evidence.

You're assuming his glove is on the body. That's all that matters. 

Come on Houston. Take care of business vs NYY.