Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Post Season Thread Anyone?

393 posts in this topic

Was reading a Nats post mortem on MLBtraderumors and it was their opinion the Nats had one of the worst catching tandems in MLB.  It went on to say Wieters had just a dreadful year with the bat and the glove.  Basically his 11 million option that he will surely exercise will be an anchor for a part time catcher.  Yes he isn't considered a full time player anymore. Boras suckered another team.  My take away is that the O's better learn from history and throw in the towel on guys like Hardy, Flaherty, UJ, Miley, ect.  I'm torn on Tilly,  he has to be real cheap to bring him back. An don't make the same mistake as last year where you are counting on him to be part of the rotation with no real fall back.

4 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Was reading a Nats post mortem on MLBtraderumors and it was their opinion the Nats had one of the worst catching tandems in MLB.  It went on to say Wieters had just a dreadful year with the bat and the glove.  Basically his 11 million option that he will surely exercise will be an anchor for a part time catcher.  Yes he isn't considered a full time player anymore. Boras suckered another team.  My take away is that the O's better learn from history and throw in the towel on guys like Hardy, Flaherty, UJ, Miley, ect.  I'm torn on Tilly,  he has to be real cheap to bring him back. An don't make the same mistake as last year where you are counting on him to be part of the rotation with no real fall back.

Statistically speaking, MW had the worst offensive year of his career. That's across the board, every single offensive stat was a career worst for him. And that was with only catching 118 games. Imagine if he tried to resume f/t catcher duties for a season. He's already a very old man. He'll be 32 next year, that's typically considered the last of a player's "prime years". 

3 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Statistically speaking, MW had the worst offensive year of his career. That's across the board, every single offensive stat was a career worst for him. And that was with only catching 118 games. Imagine if he tried to resume f/t catcher duties for a season. He's already a very old man. He'll be 32 next year, that's typically considered the last of a player's "prime years". 

I'm speculating here, but MW was one of Buck's guys.  Can you imagine the bind we would be in if he would of accepted one of those long term contracts the Os were supposedly trying to get done.back in 2014/2015.  We already have an anchor in Chris Davis where the O's brain trust, Buck especially, fell in love with one stinking half of season in 2015.  They completely ignored his dreadful 2014 and his very mediocre second half 2015.  Really dumb. 

Has anyone seen anything on his aderall use??  Is he on it, off it??  Because his last two years look more like 2014 when he was off it.  Cant see the ball, can't focus, ect.. Franchise crushing contract on several levels. 

1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I'm torn on Tilly,  he has to be real cheap to bring him back. An don't make the same mistake as last year where you are counting on him to be part of the rotation with no real fall back.

I'd bring him back if he'd take a low base salary (say, $2-$3) larded with incentives for low WHIP, innings pitched thresholds, that kind of thing. If he thinks he can do better elsewhere, let him try; more power to him if he can.

2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I'd bring him back if he'd take a low base salary (say, $2-$3) larded with incentives for low WHIP, innings pitched thresholds, that kind of thing. If he thinks he can do better elsewhere, let him try; more power to him if he can.

I don't think he'll go for a base salary that's that low. Essentially, he needs to prove he's worth what he got last year ($10M). His base will be more like $6-7M, with incentives that can double that. Unless I'm way off the mark, he'll get that kind of offer from a few teams. And they wont exclusively be the wealthy teams. Most teams, including the O's, can afford to eat $7M if it turns out that he's done.  

3 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I'm done with Davis. I was done with him when he held out for...what was it?...$2M more? 

Edited by weird-O

13 hours ago, mdrunning said:

The Astros, the best-hitting team in the majors this season, are batting a collective .147 in the ALCS. Not much thumping going on there. The Cubs, meanwhile, batted .156 in the NLCS and scored just eight runs in five games, all on homeruns. They also drew only five walks, as compared to 28 for the Dodgers. The Orioles' bats were quiet in both their ALCS loss to Kansas City in 2014, and then again in the wildcard vs. Toronto last year, but they're not the first team to suffer such a fate.

Yes all too true, I was just looking for another opportunity to bash the Orioles ;)

Success in post season Baseball in particular is many times the result of being hot at the right time and/or having the momentum. Just look at the SF Giants three World Series Championships in six years.  

In baseball more so than other sports anything can happen over a five or seven game series, a team who had success in a particular area can suddenly struggle in that area or vice versa in a short series 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I don't think he'll go for a base salary that's that low. Essentially, he needs to prove he's worth what he got last year ($10M). His base will be more like $6-7M, with incentives that can double that. Unless I'm way off the mark, he'll get that kind of offer from a few teams. And they wont exclusively be the wealthy teams. Most teams, including the O's, can afford to eat $7M if it turns out that he's done.  

Maybe not. But I regard him as having something to prove. Low salary, but incentives mean that if he proves it, he could do well. But if he's done, he doesn't. I'm okay with him going to one of those other teams; whether the Orioles are, we will see. I'd offer rich incentives that could bring him as high as $12M if he hits them all. He then has to decide how confident he is that he can regain his ability. As do other teams.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I'm done with Davis. I was done with him when he held out for...what was it?...$2M more? 

He's a good guy, just not worth what Angelos insisted on paying him. Angelos' behavior is a head scratcher, because he'll overpay a one-and-a-half tool guy but he won't pay for pitching.

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Maybe not. But I regard him as having something to prove. Low salary, but incentives mean that if he proves it, he could do well. But if he's done, he doesn't. I'm okay with him going to one of those other teams; whether the Orioles are, we will see. I'd offer rich incentives that could bring him as high as $12M if he hits them all. He then has to decide how confident he is that he can regain his ability. As do other teams.

I totally agree, he's going to have to accept a prove yourself deal. I get the impression that he'll do that with the O's, rather than somewhere else. Unless he just gets a much better offer (more base money, opt out clause, etc.). Otherwise, Buck's clubhouse is familiar, and Tilly is much appreciated by Buck and the team. He'll have the kind of supportive environment that may not be matched elsewhere.  

Verlander was dealing, but the good news for the Yankees is that whoever Houston puts out there tomorrow can't be as good.

We'll see if the home field holds up for a seventh time. It's happened twice in the Series (Twins, 1987 and 1991), and once in the ALCS under the old best-of-five format (Angels-Brewers in 1982), but never in the current seven-game format. Ironically, the last (and only) time the home team won all seven games was in the 2004 NLCS when St. Louis defeated Houston.

20 hours ago, weird-O said:

My first guess is Tillman gets a base somewhere in the 5 mil range.  But I really have no idea what the market might be.  This is one I'll be watching to see what a 1-7, 8 ERA, and 2 WHIP is worth.  There are other bottom feeder teams looking for cheaper starting pitching that may bounce back.  I always thought KC scoured the back end of the market like the O's.  Buck was quoted as saying he had a good idea on what the problem was and it had something to do with the lack of a normal off season of work.  Not sure I'm buying that as Tilly had all season to get it together.  But the O's are terrible at fixing pitchers.  So its a tough call.  He would probably be better off going somewhere else to a bigger ball park on a pillow contract.  

On 10/18/2017 at 8:26 PM, soulflower said:

Who could’ve predicted that the Yankees would get this close to the WS in 2017?

The TV networks that paid to air the games?

9 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Verlander was dealing, but the good news for the Yankees is that whoever Houston puts out there tomorrow can't be as good.

We'll see if the home field holds up for a seventh time. It's happened twice in the Series (Twins, 1987 and 1991), and once in the ALCS under the old best-of-five format (Angels-Brewers in 1982), but never in the current seven-game format. Ironically, the last (and only) time the home team won all seven games was in the 2004 NLCS when St. Louis defeated Houston.

I expect neither team's starter to get past the 6th inning. It will be a battle of the Bullpens

4 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I expect neither team's starter to get past the 6th inning. It will be a battle of the Bullpens

And if so, the Yankees likely have the advantage.

30 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

That's what soulflower is hoping. :)

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

Its a huge advantage for the Yanks.  From what I have seen, the moment is too big for the back end of the Stros pen.  Hot garbage.  Stros GM gets big props for getting Verlander, but if they don't make it to the WS, he will be roasted for not picking up a dominant reliever at the deadline, especially someone LH.  Like I said before, those high end prospects he wouldn't part with aren't going to help lift the trophy this year.  Unspent bullets in the gun.