Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Post Season Thread Anyone?

371 posts in this topic

Ok fine, you know more than the Nats management. 

Unlike what you said, the guy offered to pitch, they decided to have him rest another day...but go ahead and call him out.

32 minutes ago, soulflower said:

The Red Sox fired John Farrell

Expectations are high in NE. Win or go away

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Ok fine, you know more than the Nats management. 

Unlike what you said, the guy offered to pitch, they decided to have him rest another day...but go ahead and call him out.

Let’s say Strasburg is, actually, very, very sick. Work with me here.

Why, then, was he even at the ballpark Tuesday? Why would he play catch, as he did in the outfield grass as other Nats warmed up? Why would he be at Wrigley in particular? It might be known as the “Friendly Confines,” but it’s hell on visiting teams, with the tiny visitors’ clubhouse forcing players and coaches and team officials to step over and around each other just to shower or dress or grab a bite to eat. 

That’s no place for a very ill player, unless you want more very ill players.

Strasburg, we have long known, is not John Wayne. But this episode only exacerbates his reputation as a finicky diva who must have every last detail in perfect position in order to pitch well. This is a time of year when management and teammates want you to say, “You couldn’t drag me off that mound.” Strasburg, it appears, said he would give the Nats what he had — and they looked at each other, considered the character they’re dealing with, and said, “No thanks.”

“This is simple,” ESPN analyst and former big-league first baseman Mark Teixeira said. “Unless this guy is in the hospital and getting fluids and can’t even go to the ballpark, he’s gotta be on the mound.”

During ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight,” David Ross, Teixeira’s partner as an analyst (and a former Cub), said: “If I’m his teammate, and I walk in the clubhouse the next day, I can’t make eye contact with this dude. This is as bad as it gets for me as a teammate.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/stephen-strasburg-and-nationals-commit-biggest-error-of-the-season/2017/10/11/fdcab2de-ae81-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.592310f9c66b

never claimed to know more than xyz but speaking from a competitive point of view it doesn’t make sense 

Sigh..as a Nats fan...what a joke this has become. End our misery already LOL.

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

True but the Red Sox lineup hasn’t been the same without Ortiz. I don’t think their failure to go far in the playoffs can be blamed on the Manager

43 minutes ago, soulflower said:

True but the Red Sox lineup hasn’t been the same without Ortiz. I don’t think their failure to go far in the playoffs can be blamed on the Manager

me either, but that's the price of managing that team. They aren't going to accept failure. Tito found out the same thing. It's not that he wasn't a good manager. But he lost in Boston. George had the same policy in NY

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Maybe he left Sale in too long, but your Cy Young candidate ace shouldn't give up 7 runs.

4 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

Sigh..as a Nats fan...what a joke this has become. End our misery already LOL.

Dusty Baker s the man to do that!

9 hours ago, weird-O said:

One reason given was Boston management was concerned with the regression of some of the younger players, namely Bogarts, Betts and Bradley, Jr. That's pretty weak, given that they all did fine last season with Farrell at the helm. 

Farrell's only real sin was not being hired by Dave Dombrowski. 

Strasburg looked pretty good for a guy who was too ill to pitch just 24 hours previous. And Arrieta looked like a guy who hadn't pitched in over two weeks.