Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Trump to "decertify" Iran deal

110 posts in this topic

President Trump is expected to announce next week that he will “decertify” the international nuclear deal with Iran, saying it is not in the national interest of the United States and kicking the issue to a reluctant Congress, people briefed on the White House strategy said Thursday.

The move would mark the first step in a process that could eventually result in the resumption of U.S. sanctions against Iran, potentially derailing a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear activities reached in 2015 with the U.S. and five other nations.

But Trump would hold off on recommending that Congress reimpose sanctions, which would constitute a clearer break from the pact, according to four people familiar with aspects of the president’s thinking.

Link

This, I think, will encourage North Korea, who Trump has said negotiating with is a waste of time, to move ahead with their nuclear designs.

Wouldn't it be funny if it led to a nuclear holocaust with them, you because, you know, her emails and all?

...General James Mattis told Congress that the nuclear deal with Iran was working and should not be scrapped. He stressed that this was also the view of the other international signatories to the agreement with Tehran. The US Defence Secretary was openly contradicting Trump, who has repeatedly vowed to tear up the deal. This follows Tillerson forcing the President in July to grudgingly certify that Iran was complying with the agreement.

Link

The man-child shouldn't be in the same room with grown-ups.

Posted (edited)

Hard to imagine a more dangerous and idiotic move.

Trump is determined to destroy the international credibility of the United States

Edited by JoyinMudville

1 minute ago, JoyinMudville said:

Hard to imagine a more dangerous and idiotic move.

Trump is determined to destroy the international credibility of the United States

Tillerson nailed it. 

Trump is a f****** moron.

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Link

This, I think, will encourage North Korea, who Trump has said negotiating with is a waste of time, to move ahead with their nuclear designs.

Wouldn't it be funny if it led to a nuclear holocaust with them, you because, you know, her emails and all?

There is nothing Trump can do or not do short of war (which, no, I neither support nor call for) that is going to dissuade NK from continuing to develop their nuclear and ICBM capabilities.

I think the Iran deal is a bad one for the US, save one point: it keeps us speaking with Iran, even if only indirectly. 

The NNPT worked for several decades, a significant achievement in the world of real politics.  Smaller nations have realized the world body is going to do little to deny a nation the development of weapons so it is time to develop defense capabilities.

Good thing we have the Jimmy Carter deal to fall back on. Probably time for him to polish the well deserved NPP. Maybe Obama and jimmy could shine them up together.

Why does Trump want Iran to start their nuke program back up? So he can start a war with them, like the neo-cons have wanted for years?

The orange idiot can 'decertify' all that he likes but it'll only be the US that backs out of the deal. 😤

And what's his problem with Iran and NK's nukes - Doesn't he know that 'Nukes don't kill people - people kill people'? 😅

18 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

There is nothing Trump can do or not do short of war (which, no, I neither support nor call for) that is going to dissuade NK from continuing to develop their nuclear and ICBM capabilities.

I think the same applies to Iran although Iran is still willing to play the game (pretend to stop in return for economic relief) whereas North Korea has moved past that point.

I'm not sure how this will play out in Congress but it sounds like the rest of the parties will not go along with backing out of the deal. Iran only came to the table because the UN, Western, and other international sanctions were too much for them to take. But I think they will be able to manage if only the US backs out (and reimposes sanctions) while others do not. I'm not sure what the point of the US move is here unless, as regularguy suggests, it's part of an effort to gin up a confrontation.

19 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Why does Trump want Iran to start their nuke program back up? So he can start a war with them, like the neo-cons have wanted for years?

Yeah, why would we want inspectors in there anyway?

Our wee, wee President continues to do the bidding of his Kremlin masters - -  destabilization.

3 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Think it's really more about Obama.

Good, he's right one of the worst deals the US has ever made.

9 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I think the same applies to Iran although Iran is still willing to play the game (pretend to stop in return for economic relief) whereas North Korea has moved past that point.

I'm not sure how this will play out in Congress but it sounds like the rest of the parties will not go along with backing out of the deal. Iran only came to the table because the UN, Western, and other international sanctions were too much for them to take. But I think they will be able to manage if only the US backs out (and reimposes sanctions) while others do not. I'm not sure what the point of the US move is here unless, as regularguy suggests, it's part of an effort to gin up a confrontation.

I question whether Iran is really determined to get nuclear weapons. They’ve had Nuclear reactors since the 1950s and they’ve been on the cusp of becoming a Nuclear power since at least 2008. 

Maybe their goal all along was to use the threat of their building nukes to get economic concessions.

I don’t think Trump has really considered the long-term consequences of pulling out of a major international Arms deal. (I don’t think he thinks long-term about anything). 

The message he has sent by pulling out of TPP, the Paris Agreement, and the Iran deal is that Long-term deals made with the US aren’t guaranteed to be honored beyond the President’s term. That has serious consequences for Trade and future foriegn policy negotiations 

The " long term" solution will be Iran gets nukes just like NK.

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

I question whether Iran is really determined to get nuclear weapons. They’ve had Nuclear reactors since the 1950s and they’ve been on the cusp of becoming a Nuclear power since at least 2008. 

Maybe their goal all along was to use the threat of their building nukes to get economic concessions.

I don’t think Trump has really considered the long-term consequences of pulling out of a major international Arms deal. (I don’t think he thinks long-term about anything). 

The message he has sent by pulling out of TPP, the Paris Agreement, and the Iran deal is that Long-term deals made with the US aren’t guaranteed to be honored beyond the President’s term. That has serious consequences for Trade and future foriegn policy negotiations 

And what do all three of those programs have in common, soulflower?

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

And what do all three of those programs have in common, soulflower?

The previous President agreed to them? 

So if the new standard is the future Presidents won't honor deals made by their predecessors, then there's no reason for other countries to make long-term deals with the US...

Edited by soulflower

24 minutes ago, soulflower said:

The previous President agreed to them? 

So if the new standard is the future Presidents won't honor deals made by their predecessors, then there's no reason for other countries to make long-term deals with the US...

None of them went through Congress, as you are aware.  The Obama Administration was reminded again and again that an Executive Order/Agreement was not permanent and subject to dismissal when his term ended.  

No President has the constitutional authority to bind the US beyond his or her term, without congressional concurrence.  If you want to whine about these packages being dismissed out of hand, I suggest you dial 1-800-Obamausuallyvotedpresent.

MoR

TPP went through Congress

Presidents take us to war all the time without going through Congress.

It’s a shame that Republicans no longer believe in Diplomacy 

32 minutes ago, soulflower said:

MoR

TPP went through Congress

Presidents take us to war all the time without going through Congress.

It’s a shame that Republicans no longer believe in Diplomacy 

It's a shame the last Democratic President decided to govern by fiat.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

He had to work with a Majority in Congress that had no other agenda besides stopping his agenda

I guarantee you though that if Obama went to Congress for approval to Bomb Iran they would’ve supported that policy

Edited by soulflower

5 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Psst:  Take a gander at Trumps EO's, bigly, yuge....

But but but Obama!!!!!!!

:lol:

So Trump is going to hand Congress this hot potato, one they have no interest in addressing.

I can only imagine the antipathy the GOP leadership has towards this buffoon.