Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calamari

The research is clear: gun control saves lives

127 posts in this topic

The Washington Post’s viral anti–gun control piece gets a lot wrong.

That’s unfortunate, because there actually is a rich and growing body of evidence on guns. It’s not perfect by any means — this is a tough issue to study, for reasons I’ll get into below. But it’s fairly persuasive.

In fact, it’s so persuasive that it changed my mind. I was once skeptical of gun control; I doubted it would have any major impact on gun deaths (similar to the views I took on drugs). Then I looked at the actual empirical research and studies. My conclusion: Gun control likely saves lives, even if it won’t and can’t prevent all gun deaths.

2 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

His definition of "gun control" is confiscation.  

I read the article. I did not see where the author advocated confiscating guns

55 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

I'm sold.

What do you propose?

Let me ask you an honest question, and by honest i mean that i don't know the answer. If you could go back in time and recreate a country with laws that would have required the vegas shooter to register every gun purchase or some other  tracking mechanism that would have raised a red flag at a guy assembling such an extensive arsenal, assuming that such a red flag would have allowed authorities to pre-emptively track or question him and that that may have prevented this, would you support those measures?

now, before you start talking rights, if i make a run on pharmacies and start buying a bunch of non perscription drugs, i am going to get questioned. There are also a slew of industrial chemicals that i cannot buy without drawing state and federal attention. And, of course, if i start sending money to my friend's bank in Yemen, i am going to get a visit from the fbi.

so again, i don't know the answer but are there ways we can balance a right to buy guns with public safety?

4 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Like most advocates of confiscation he doesn't come right out and say it.  You have to read between the lines.

1 hour ago, Smokey 1 said:

Like most advocates of confiscation he doesn't come right out and say it.  You have to read between the lines.

The other day I said there should be some type of red flag when someone purchases dozens of guns across multiple states.  One of the gun nuts here accused me of being in favor of confiscation.

Another liberal gun control head with no solutions...... awesome.

7 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

It's amazing how few people do that.

44 minutes ago, Calamari said:

It's amazing how few people do that.

Except I did read the entire article.  :P

5 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

Nope. He didn't say it and I haven't seen anyone here advocate it. It's crap like this that makes it hard to have an honest debate about guns in this country.

Just now, JoyinMudville said:

Nope. He didn't say it and I haven't seen anyone here advocate it. It's crap like this that makes it hard to have an honest debate about guns in this country.

Then what do you think he means by "gun control"?

5 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

I agree. Obama was the same way...took all my guns away. ;)

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

The other day I said there should be some type of red flag when someone purchases dozens of guns across multiple states.  One of the gun nuts here accused me of being in favor of confiscation.

It's the same tired hyperbole from the gun lobby. Do ANYTHING and it's "They're taking our guns away!"

1 minute ago, ncbirdfan said:

It's the same tired hyperbole from the gun lobby. Do ANYTHING and it's "They're taking our guns away!"

Should I find the post where you said you my guns should be confiscated?

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Should I find the post where you said you my guns should be confiscated?

Sure. I know the post you are referring. But please include the other posts to add context to it since anyone with a brain would know that I was an intentional hyperbole to make a point that went over your head. You were the only one that took it seriously. Geesh! :rolleyes:

Edited by ncbirdfan

2 minutes ago, Eastsider said:

Trigger locks are easy to drill and open. No deterrent for a criminal

They could be very good for cutting back on accidental gun deaths.

28 minutes ago, Eastsider said:

Trigger locks are easy to drill and open. No deterrent for a criminal

You can easily drill out the lock on the door to my house too... does that mean I should just not have a lock on my door? :rolleyes:

So what good is a trigger lock for someone who steals the gun? Every security device you have on a weapon, home or car a criminal has multiple choices on how to manipulate that device.

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Have they gotten the word in Baltimore or Chicago?

You still can't figure out how there are guns in Baltimore and Chicago?

Think harder. I know you can do it.

1 minute ago, Eastsider said:

So what good is a trigger lock for someone who steals the gun? Every security device you have on a weapon, home or car a criminal has multiple choices on how to manipulate that device.

I wonder how many more car deaths there would be if you didn't need to pass a test, have an operator's license and didn't have the vehicle registered.

Want to ponder he is one for ya. Just think how many lives could have been saved if prohibition did not end.