Followers 0
Calamari

The research is clear: gun control saves lives

127 posts in this topic

Just now, WKDWZD said:

Yes

you

do.

I understand statistics better than you.

I am also more honest with statistics than you are and I am also staying on topic.

One more time, Here is the link that clearly shows that you are 138 times more likely to die by a gun than I am, it's a hard fact, suck it up.

Sorry WK -- you just don't understand statistics, and how population deviations can skew overall numbers:

The overall gun-death rate for US black males is roughly double what it is for white males, and for black males between the ages of 20 and 29, the rate is approximately 89 per 100,000.

Read more at: https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2017-02-20-0000/gun-violence-and-race-conservatives-gun-owners

Britain overall gun homicide rate is .06 per 100,000  --so BLACK MALES between 20-29 in the US are 1500 times more likely than the AVERAGE BRITON -- to be murdered by Firearm

see how that skews the numbers.

I am not 138 times more likely than you to be murdered by a firearm 

For all I know you could frequent high crime areas of South London

2 hours ago, songfourone said:

Sure would be a deterrent for a child....

And that is the primary reason for them, not theft. And a damn good one for one who doesn't have a lock box or safe.

And that is the primary reason for them, not theft. And a damn good one for one who doesn't have a lock box or safe.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Train your kids about gun safety.

A Firearm in a safe or a lockbox is a waste of $$ and space -- unless it is for investment purposes only

None of my firearms have trigger locks, the pistols are ALWAYS LOADED, and they have been for years

I trained my kids the G. Gordon Liddy way -- Until a certain age if they saw a firearm they were to avert their eyes and come tell me where they saw it (if I was not teaching them how to use it) - under no circumstances were they to touch it -- and if they were at a friends house and a child weas handling a firearm - they were instructed to immediately run out the front door

My youngest is still under that rule -- although I have taught my youngest how to make the Beretta and AR-15 safe, and how to ensure there is no round left in the chamber after making the weapon safe

They also know that the only reason you point the business end of a firearm at a person or animal is to kill it PERIOD.

Edited by karlydee2

3 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

Sorry WK -- you just don't understand statistics, and how population deviations can skew overall numbers:

The overall gun-death rate for US black males is roughly double what it is for white males, and for black males between the ages of 20 and 29, the rate is approximately 89 per 100,000.

Read more at: https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2017-02-20-0000/gun-violence-and-race-conservatives-gun-owners

Britain overall gun homicide rate is .06 per 100,000  --so BLACK MALES between 20-29 in the US are 1500 times more likely than the AVERAGE BRITON -- to be murdered by Firearm

see how that skews the numbers.

I am not 138 times more likely than you to be murdered by a firearm 

For all I know you could frequent high crime areas of South London

Quit being a child. I understand statistics very well, even the silly statistical games that you play, in fact it is clear to me now that it's you that doesn't understand statistics. 

Shouting in bold ridicules you, not me.

I'm not going to rise to your childish bait and I'm not going round in a circular argument with a dishonest trickster who can't stay on topic.

1 minute ago, WKDWZD said:

Quit being a child. I understand statistics very well, even the silly statistical games that you play, in fact it is clear to me now that it's you that doesn't understand statistics. 

Shouting in bold ridicules you, not me.

I'm not going to rise to your childish bait and I'm not going round in a circular argument with a dishonest trickster who can't stay on topic.

No you don't -- seriously. You just don't.

My demographic (Married White Male 45+ , Small Southern Town, doesn't frequent any high crime area, moderately high median household income town) -- is extremely unlikely to be murdered by firearm.

PERIOD

2 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

No you don't -- seriously. You just don't.

My demographic (Married White Male 45+ , Small Southern Town, doesn't frequent any high crime area, moderately high median household income town) -- is extremely unlikely to be murdered by firearm.

PERIOD

You are being a prat, period. Be gone, no more of your dishonesty.

1 hour ago, Calamari said:

Everyone is a "responsible gun owner" until they aren't.

Actually many responsible gun owners are responsible for life

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

You don't Understand statistics, I'm a white Male over 45, that lives in a small southern town.  I have a less than 1% chance of being murdered by anything or anyone, much less a firearm.

To put it in perspective -- in the metropolitan statistical area where I live -- with a population of ~500,000 spread across several towns and counties, we average 10-20 murders a year -- they are almost never white, and are usually criminals killing each other, or domestic violence against women

I'm more likely to die by drowning, car accident, or farming accident.

Statistically the same as you.

If I was an urban dwelling criminal Black male between the ages of 18 and 34 -- I would agree with you 100%

Poverty and socioeconomic disparity causes gun violence -- regardless of gun control laws

And mental illness

Here's the problem with statistics. I'm a black male born and raised in a poor inner city Baltimore neighborhood. Technically I should be dead and not in year 53 of my life. Statistics can say anything you want them to say.

Edited by bmore_ken

25 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

A Firearm in a safe or a lockbox is a waste of $$ and space -- unless it is for investment purposes only

None of my firearms have trigger locks, the pistols are ALWAYS LOADED, and they have been for years

I trained my kids the G. Gordon Liddy way -- Until a certain age if they saw a firearm they were to avert their eyes and come tell me where they saw it (if I was not teaching them how to use it) - under no circumstances were they to touch it -- and if they were at a friends house and a child weas handling a firearm - they were instructed to immediately run out the front door

My youngest is still under that rule -- although I have taught my youngest how to make the Beretta and AR-15 safe, and how to ensure there is no round left in the chamber after making the weapon safe

They also know that the only reason you point the business end of a firearm at a person or animal is to kill it PERIOD.

I have my weapon in a touch code mini vault attached to the night stand on my side and it's loaded and I can access it in seconds.

The point is my grandkids can't And thief can't.

You can teach your kids as you say and I did and do.

But the piece of mind of a secured firearm is the only way I can live with one.

5 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Actually many responsible gun owners are responsible for life

How many, exactly?

And remember that in your own words, "statistics can say anything you want them to say." :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

My four kids were raised the same as yours with two guns in the house. Also always loaded.

3 minutes ago, Calamari said:

How many, exactly?

And remember that in your own words, "statistics can say anything you want them to say." :rolleyes:

The post you responded to didn't mention statistics nor did I quote any. Stop trolling.

11 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Sounds like a non-answer.

To a troll

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Here's the problem with statistics. I'm a black male born and raised in a poor inner city Baltimore neighborhood. Technically I should be dead and not in year 53 of my life. Statistics can say anything you want them to say.

Once again, not quite understanding statistics.

You statistically had a higher likelihood of being murdered by a firearm than I did growing up in rural cow country.

You statistically have a higher likelihood of being murdered by a firearm, because you currently live in Baltimore, and I live in a small town in the south with almost no violent crime and sometimes Zero gun homicides in a year.

Remember, we are talking about 89 out of 100,000 -- as the highest rate of firearm homicides for the demographic of 20-29 year old Black Males in the US

That means 99,911 out of every 100,000 don't

Edited by karlydee2

2 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

Once again, not quite understanding statistics.

You statistically had a higher likelihood of being murdered by a firearm than I did growing up in rural cow country.

You're merely proving my point. People have been murdered in rural cow country and I haven't. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You're merely proving my point. People have been murdered in rural cow country and I haven't. 

And that statement proves my point that you don't understand statistics.

When certain demographics (like drug use, criminal convictions, living in a high crime neighborhood, socioeconomic status, and race) -- drastically skew the statistical probability for an event for a population with those demographics from the population as a whole -- you must then control for those demographics when calculating statistics for other sub groups of the population.

Statistically speaking you should live to about 67 based upon your race and year of birth. (I'm guessing 1964)

Lifestyle choices can significantly impact that number.

Edited by karlydee2

3 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

And that statement proves my point that you don't understand statistics.

No it proves my statement that statistics can say anything you want them to. 

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Well, they actually can't.

People say incorrect things about statistical measures, because they don't understand.

If WK would have said -- the firearm murder rate in the US is 138 times what it is in the UK.  That is a completely accurate statement.

When he tried to apply statistics based upon the population as a whole to me and himself -- he went off the rails regarding proper statistics.

If he dug into Home Office data regarding firearm murder statistics that take into account  his race, sex, income, location, and other driving factors regarding firearm homicides in the UK.

And then did the same for me based upon driving factors in the US -- and compared them -- he would be more correct.

In my town of ~50,000 -- we had ZERO murders of any type last year

The US average is 5 homicides per 100,000 overall -- so we should have had at least 2.5 -- but we didn't, and usually don't

Edited by karlydee2

16 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Here is the real truth:

"But the reality is that gun homicides are overwhelmingly tied to gang violence. In fact, a staggering 80% of gun homicides are gang-related. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), gang homicides accounted for roughly 8,900 of 11,100 gun murders in both 2010 and 2011.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd03/gun-stats-perspective.htm

Now, if you take the remaining 2200 firearm homicides into the population -- you get an adjusted Firearm homicide rate of .68 per 100,000

3 hours ago, songfourone said:

Yep and there are plent of them around.

We have more irresponsible swimming pool owners. They seem to be a bigger danger than "gun violence" for kids. We should take a serious look at "swimming pool violence".:o

Accidental deaths due to drowning and firearms:

"National Vital Statistics Report, Vol. 50, No 15", from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Sep 16, 2002), lists causes of death for the year 2000. See its Table 10 on page 30, "Number of deaths from 113 selected causes by age". It includes the following data:

Causes of Death, 2000
Age in years all ages <1 1-4 5-14 15-24 25-34 35-44 45-54 55-64 65-74 75-84 ≥85 not stated
Drowning or submergence 3,482  75  493  375  646  419  480  354  217  179  156  64  24 
Accidental firearm discharge 776  18  67  202  131  153  78  50  41  24  11 

10 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Nah, it's called desperation. :lol:

We may have a lot of gun violence here, but to be fair, you have more serious moped violence across the pond sir.