Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tootsie

Mockingbird in Accident

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Mock was in a bad accident this week. Broken nose, broken cheek bone, broken bone in her neck. She was rear ended by a distracted driver. 

Edited by Tootsie

So sorry to learn of this, Mock is one of my favorite posters. I hope that she recovers quickly and well. 

Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear that!  I hope she has a full recovery. 

All that facial injury...did her airbag not work??:o

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear that!  I hope she has a full recovery. 

All that facial injury...did her airbag not work??:o

My guess is the airbag caused the face injuries 

Just saw this :(

mock, I hope you are ok and get better soon. 

That sucks! Speedy recovery to you, Mock!

Hope they throw the book at numb nutz distracted driver.

Hi All!  Hi Tootsie!

Thank you all so much for the well wishes!! 

I was hit very hard from behind by a full sized pick up truck and that hit pushed me into the car in front of me.  It ended up being a 5 car chain reaction accident that happened on 795 N on Oct 3.  My air bag did deploy and it was the air bag and my sunglasses that broke my face.  I have to see a surgeon on Friday.  I have a fractured C6 or C7 in my neck.  I forget which one but I won't need any surgery for that.  I had a handful of staples in my head, a concussion, two black eyes, nasty bruises and numbness all over, a badly bruised rib, and I have a hematoma on my thigh that is bigger than my boob.  In attempting to keep my spirits up I call it my thigh boob.  No idea when that will start to subside.  Doctors said it could take months.  It made it's own stretch mark!!  So weird.  I was in the hospital for 3 days and ended up having to cut chunks of my hair out when I got home.  Luckily my hair is so curly you can't tell.

I am alive and very happy to be alive.  My Mazda 3 did a very good job at keeping me alive.  It crumped around me.  I know it sounds weird, but I never got to say good-bye to my car and that makes me a little sad.  It was obliterated...  

I don't remember the impact because I was immediately knocked out.  I never saw it coming and I am grateful that I have no memory of the impact to relive over and over.  In the hospital the police told me that no one else was hurt.  I was happy to hear that.

Edited by mockingbird

43 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Hi All!  Hi Tootsie!

I was hit very hard from behind by a full sized pick up truck and that hit pushed me into the car in front of me.  It ended up being a 5 car chain reaction accident that happened on 795 N on Oct 3.  My air bag did deploy and it was the air bag and my sunglasses that broke my face.  I have to see a surgeon on Friday.  I have a fractured C6 or C7 in my neck.  I forget which one but I won't need any surgery for that.  I had a handful of staples in my head, a concussion, two black eyes, nasty bruises and numbness all over, a badly bruised rib, and I have a hematoma on my thigh that is bigger than my boob.  In attempting to keep my spirits up I call it my thigh boob.  No idea when that will start to subside.  Doctors said it could take months.  It made it's own stretch mark!!  So weird.  I was in the hospital for 3 days and ended up having to cut chunks of my hair out when I got home.  Luckily my hair is so curly you can't tell.

I am alive and very happy to be alive.  My Mazda 3 did a very good job at keeping me alive.  It crumped around me.  I know it sounds weird, but I never got to say good-bye to my car and that makes me a little sad.  It was obliterated...  

I don't remember the impact because I was immediately knocked out.  I never saw it coming and I am grateful that I have no memory of the impact to relive over and over.  In the hospital the police told me that no one else was hurt.  I was happy to hear that.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend now Mock, keep well and get back to full health soon. 

10 hours ago, mockingbird said:

Hi All!  Hi Tootsie!

Mock, it's good to hear from you. I'm so glad you're doing better! 🙂

Thanks.  Baby steps...

The deadly accident in Westminster on Rt. 31 last week was right down the street from my house.  My son went to school with them and siblings of the 19/20 year olds that were killed.  It was awful.  I felt emotionally destroyed.  My head went to terrible places.  If I had anyone in my back seat I don't think they would have made it.  My front seat (driver's side, the one I was sitting in) broke at some point and went into a laying down position and my head rest was completely broken off.  The "what if" scenarios are relentless.  My husband and younger son drove passed my accident scene on the way to the hospital and my husband said it was the worst feeling he's ever had.  My younger son said, "I never want to feel that panic ever again."  They didn't know if how bad I was.  They knew I was alive but they didn't know if I was critical or anything about my condition.  If I saw my accident and knew a family member was in my car, I honestly would have thought the worst.  It was one of 'those' accidents, the kind where you say a little prayer for whoever was involved.

I feel so horrible for everyone that is grieving the loss of the 4 that were killed in Westminster.  I'm so sorry for all of them. 

Edited by mockingbird

The accident with the 4 young people, on top of the one you were in, is a lot to deal with. I can completely understand why you feel so bad...you're in a weakened state physically and emotionally. Have you talked to the online therapist that you said helped you a while back? You need to get the feelings out and talking to your husband and sons might not be ideal, since they went thru their own personal crisis during your accident. I feel for you mock...those "what ifs" can make you nuts. I do that too, it makes no sense but sometimes you just can't turn it off. 

I haven't really talked to my therapist yet.  I had an appointment the day after the accident that I had to cancel because I was in the hospital.  I spoke with him very briefly during my second day at Sinai.  He is out of the country until December.  :/

Yeah...the "what ifs" are haunting.  When I do sleep, my dreams are stressful...

I have always thought that I am grateful that this happened to just me, not my son, not my husband, and no one was in my car... but then the accident on 31, and those kids..., their parents, friends, relatives...  My head went to really dark places, repetitive thoughts, and empathy that I can't shake.  I feel so bad.

I have an appointment on Friday with a facial surgeon and I'm terrified of driving.  Plus, I'm still in a good amount of pain.  I'm going to call them today to see if there is a metro stop close by so that I can just park at Owings Mills and take the metro.  I can't walk more than a couple blocks because of my rib pain and the giant hematoma on my thigh.  I have to go, no matter what, so I just have to deal.

Thanks.   

Can't someone drive you on Friday??! There has to be a better way.

53 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Can't someone drive you on Friday??! There has to be a better way.

That was my immediate thought too. Geez, if I wasn't 3500 miles away, I'd be happy to offer tl do it. Surely someone there, and nearer, could give up some of their time to help.

I cancelled the appointment downtown and made an appointment with an ENT about 10 minutes away from my house out of Carroll Hospital.  I actually slept last night because of this. 

whew... 

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate!  It sounds like you have some healing to do - sending positive thoughts your way!

13 hours ago, mockingbird said:

I cancelled the appointment downtown and made an appointment with an ENT about 10 minutes away from my house out of Carroll Hospital.  I actually slept last night because of this. 

whew... 

Good 🙂

Mock, my daughter had a Mazda 2 and was rear-ended by a full-sized Ford van that rammed her into the rear of a Dodge Ram pickup. The 2 was destroyed, but she suffered minimal injuries. Seeing how crushed her car was (and how protected she had been despite the damage), I decided to buy a 2014 Mazda 6 for fuel economy when she purchased a 2014 Mazda 3 to replace the 2. So far we have had 8 Mazdas (a 2, three 3's, two 6's and two CX-5's). They are well-built and safe cars. 

I get the "terrified of driving" thing. After a drunken biddy drove straight into my truck head-on several years ago and I fractured my radius, it took a while before I got comfortable driving again. It takes time. Don't push it. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Edited by mlatoman

My thoughts are with you, Mock.

Thank you, mlatoman and Baltimatt.

I bought a 2017 Mazda CX-5 over the weekend.  I LOVED my 3 but my husband and I decided that the backseat was to small (its cramped for anyone over 5'7").  I looked at the CX-3 but that was still a little to small.  My oldest son is engaged and his fiancé has a little 16 month old cutie so I have grandchildren to think about and their safety in the backseat.

My terror of driving is fading.  I get really nervous at the thought of driving but once I am in the car I feel a little better.  I also just feel comfortable to be back in Mazda because all of the hand controls are exactly the same.  The only difference is that the parking break is a button.  I love my little hand knob. 

I have only driven short distances but I am feeling more comfortable.  I drove past my accident scene and I got teary.  I really loved my little white zoomy 3 and it just made me sad. 

My wife has a 2016 CX-5 and our oldest daughter just purchased a 2017 CX-5 in August. Both are AWD and as easy to drive as my 2016 Mazda 6. Looks almost exactly the same behind the wheel. Just a bit higher off the ground lol. 

They average about 25-27 mpg. I average 39-41. Mine's a 6-speed manual and I drive "conservatively" lol. 

Getting back in the saddle is hard. When I fell off a ladder (well, the ladder slipped and I fell 10' onto the ladder) in 2015, I was nervous the first time I climbed a treestand to hunt. Took a while to get over that. 

I am so sorry, mock. Thank God you are okay. Be careful out there, folks.

Thanks, com. 

mla-  Yeah... I am upping my MPG but thankfully I can work at home once a week now too keep a bit of the mileage down.  I never thought that I would go bigger.  I haven't had a car this big in about 10 years when I had a mini van.  It honestly doesn't seem that much bigger to me as a driver.  I just sit up a little higher.  The back seat and hatchback/trunk area are where I notice a huge difference.  A bigger backseat and trunk area were what was important to me for safety reasons.  My trunk was pushed into the back seat and although I can't say what would have happened if I had backseat passengers it scared me enough to get something bigger.  While I was at it I decided to get AWD instead of 2 wheel drive.  I just have to get used to the color.  It's red.  My husband LOVES it.  I'm still getting used it.  White is my fav color for a car, but they only had 2 white 2017 CX-5s in stock.  One was 2 wheel drive and the other was top of the line with leather seats, all the bells and whistles, and 5k more... so I got the lowest of the AWD line.

Everyone is in shock that I bought an SUV.  lol.   I just say one word..., "grandkids..."  which sounds weird because I'm only 27 ;-) lol.

I'm glad you are okay from you ladder fall.  That is terrifying too!!!! 

I will tell you what though...GAP insurance was the best $800 I have ever spent!!!!!!  Closing the gap was almost 4k.

Now that I have the car stuff squared away, I just need my lumpy legs and facial fractures to heal.  I keep the hematoma on my thigh wrapped except while I am sleeping, its still big, meh.  The nerves are healing and firing and that hurts when it's not wrapped.  Praying hard that I don't need any surgery on my sinuses from my face fractures.  My neck is healing, no surgery needed.  My head has a dent in it but I have hair.  I just feel some pain when I turn my head quickly and I hear weird cracks in my ears sometimes.  Ribs are doing better but still bruised.  I can take deep breaths again.

I do get worn out easily and that is when everywhere pain is the worst and I have to go to bed.