Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Observing Columbus Day

110 posts in this topic

...And the Christians, with their horses and swords and pikes began to carry out massacres and strange cruelties against them. They attacked the towns and spared neither the children nor the aged nor pregnant women nor women in childbed, not only stabbing them and dismembering them but cutting them to pieces as if dealing with sheep in the slaughter house. They laid bets as to who, with one stroke of the sword, could split a man in two or could cut off his head or spill out his entrails with a single stroke of the pike. They took infants from their mothers’ breasts, snatching them by the legs and pitching them head first against the crags or snatched them by the arms and threw them into the rivers, roaring with laughter and saying as the babies fell into the water, “Boil there, you offspring of the devil!” Other infants they put to the sword along with their mothers and anyone else who happened to be nearby. They made some low wide gallows on which the hanged victim’s feet almost touched the ground, stringing up their victims in lots of thirteen, in memory of Our Redeemer and His twelve Apostles, then set burning wood at their feet and thus burned them alive. To others they attached straw or wrapped their whole bodies in straw and set them afire. With still others, all those they wanted to capture alive, they cut off their hands and hung them round the victim’s neck, saying, “Go now, carry the message,” meaning, Take the news to the Indians who have fled to the mountains. They usually dealt with the chieftains and nobles in the following way: they made a grid of rods which they placed on forked sticks, then lashed the victims to the grid and lighted a smoldering fire underneath, so that little by little, as those captives screamed in despair and torment, their souls would leave them….

After the wars and the killings had ended, when usually there survived only some boys, some women, and children, these survivors were distributed among the Christians to be slaves. The repartimiento or distribution was made according to the rank and importance of the Christian to whom the Indians were allocated, one of them being given thirty, another forty, still another, one or two hundred, and besides the rank of the Christian there was also to be considered in what favor he stood with the tyrant they called Governor. The pretext was that these allocated Indians were to be instructed in the articles of the Christian Faith. As if those Christians who were as a rule foolish and cruel and greedy and vicious could be caretakers of souls! And the care they took was to send the men to the mines to dig for gold, which is intolerable labor, and to send the women into the fields of the big ranches to hoe and till the land, work suitable for strong men. Nor to either the men or the women did they give any food except herbs and legumes, things of little substance. The milk in the breasts of the women with infants dried up and thus in a short while the infants perished. And since men and women were separated, there could be no marital relations. And the men died in the mines and the women died on the ranches from the same causes, exhaustion and hunger. And thus was depopulated that island which had been densely populated.

Link

Enjoy the parade!

I’ll be honest. I don’t “get” Columbus Day. Columbus did not “discover” America. Neither did the Norse, although they were the first Europeans to set foot in the Western Hemisphere. North and South America were already populated. Some by native Americans in  Neolithic cultures; others in Mesoamerica in more social cultures who were quite advanced. 

I think it’s time has come and gone. 

1 minute ago, mlatoman said:

I’ll be honest. I don’t “get” Columbus Day. Columbus did not “discover” America. Neither did the Norse, although they were the first Europeans to set foot in the Western Hemisphere. North and South America were already populated. Some by native Americans in  Neolithic cultures; others in Mesoamerica in more social cultures who were quite advanced. 

You'd need to come up with another govt & banking holiday.

My company took this holiday away years ago. Replaced it with MLK Day.

Federal employees still get it. :)

19 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

They do and they love it.

But it has only a negative meaning IMO and I actually agree with some of that long winded quote Hs was allowed to post.

Columbus didn't discover jack and the slaughter of natives and slavery of who was still alive, was the beginning of the outrageous treatment of natives in this country for hundreds years to this day.

2 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

They do and they love it.

But it has only a negative meaning IMO and I actually agree with some of that long winded quote Hs was allowed to post.

Columbus didn't discover jack and the slaughter of natives and slavery of who was still alive, was the beginning of the outrageous treatment of natives in this country for hundreds years to this day.

I don't really know what about his post is worth agreeing or disagreeing with. lol  The 1400s was a long time ago.  I don't think he should be celebrated, he did not even step foot in North America. We should have Leif Eriksson Day!  ;)

33 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

You'd need to come up with another govt & banking holiday.

If Brandon on the city council has his way.....Columbus day will become 'Poor Freddie' day. :lol:

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Seems to me that Columbus day is a 'dead' holiday. Meaningful to some...not most. And most large organizations have done exactly what you stated.

Some progressive companies like Compaq and HP that I worked for...did the right thing....they made both holidays a 'floater' holiday. You want to celebrate Columbus fine you want to celebrate MLK fine. You just pick which one you want to burn that floater holiday on. Simple logical solution. No one is forced to celebrate anything.

Do they also get MLK day too in goooberment? Sweeettttt....if they do.

Edited by Guido2

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

If Brandon on the city council has his way.....Columbus day will become 'Poor Freddie' day. :lol:

Whoever "poor freddie" is that you are disparaging, it's fair odds he is a far better person than Columbus.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Whoever "poor freddie" is that you are disparaging, it's fair odds he is a far better person than Columbus.

If you don't know who 'poor freddie' is.....SMH You say I am disparaging him on the one hand..but have no clue who he is? HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAA

Funny .... I read someplace that REAL squid are fairly intelligent........hmmm...something to ponder.

And I doubt that  one or the other was better. Both brought death to where they were.

Edited by Guido2

I don't have any strong feelings, pro or con, about Columbus. But there's no doubt that he - personally - set in motion the most consequential sequence of events in human history... the uniting of the earth's continents and the "Columbian Exchange" of people, technologies, plants, and animals (and diseases).

1 hour ago, mlatoman said:

Like the Confederate monuments, it intended to foster a myth replacing an ugly truth.

2 minutes ago, regularguy said:

I don't have any strong feelings, pro or con, about Columbus. But there's no doubt that he - personally - set in motion the most consequential sequence of events in human history... the uniting of the earth's continents and the "Columbian Exchange" of people, technologies, plants, and animals (and diseases).

Lol! I thought you were going to say the elimination of an entire continent of people.

Columbus must have just had a better Public Relations firm. I really don't get it either. Not because of all the OP's angst and guilt but because of what the other posters stated about him not being the first, others already being here, etc.

Just now, hst2 said:

Lol! I thought you were going to say the elimination of an entire continent of people.

I said "disease". Did you miss that?

27 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

That's getting a little too close to the truth.

It's really about the Italians getting their own day in the US. Really just bizarre.

Just now, bmorepunk said:

It's really about the Italians getting their own day in the US. Really just bizarre.

"Bizarre"? Why do you have a problem with Italians and their descendants celebrating one of their own?

Just now, regularguy said:

"Bizarre"? Why do you have a problem with Italians and their descendants celebrating one of their own?

Some think it’s weird to celebrate a mass murderer

1 hour ago, mlatoman said:

Yeah I don’t get it either but in the NYC area (and other places) it’s become this huge Italian pride day thing and they go totally bananas if you talk about doing away with it.

1 minute ago, regularguy said:

Great question. And how does it impact him? Or me? Or you? Don't go to the parade! I don't attend it. Or St. Patrick's Day parade for that matter.

1 minute ago, regularguy said:

People can celebrate what they want. 5% of the US population getting a federal holiday because they strategically lobbied for it in the 1930s is the bizarre part.

And to expand on this, people of Irish descent make up about 10% of the population yet there is no federal holiday. And St. Patrick's Day would be a better holiday. You still get those parades, but we all get an extra day to get drunk as balls.

1 minute ago, bmorepunk said:

And to expand on this, people of Irish descent make up about 10% of the population yet there is no federal holiday. And St. Patrick's Day would be a better holiday. You still get those parades, but we all get an extra day to get drunk as balls.

Only in the U.S. In Ireland, it's a solemn holiday.