Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Observing Columbus Day

110 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Some think it’s weird to celebrate a mass murderer

Do we celebrate Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman, notwithstanding their "terror bombing" of German and Japanese civilians during WWII?

27 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Gibberish.

Squeak squeak :lol:

1 minute ago, Sprightly said:

Only in the U.S. In Ireland, it's a solemn holiday.

We took Cinco de Mayo as our own as well. It's not a thing at all outside the province of Puebla. We made it into a really American event.

5 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

People can celebrate what they want. 5% of the US population getting a federal holiday because they strategically lobbied for it in the 1930s is the bizarre part.

Some people say the same about the MLK holiday. Is that bizarre too?

14 minutes ago, hst2 said:

That's getting a little too close to the truth.

That is vague. Care to elaborate?

Posted (edited)

Some four million Italians legally migrated to our country way back when. In doing so, it helped to make the U.S. a better place. I'm not going to rag on them about who they choose to celebrate. :) 

And, by the way, they were not treated very well either. 

Edited by Sprightly

10 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Some think it’s weird to celebrate a mass murderer

What the blip is that supposed to mean? Your saying that people are celebrating mass murder? What timeframe are you pulling that from?

Back 100's of years....NOW?

Please clarify. .... otherwise you statement is BS.

3 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Some people say the same about the MLK holiday. Is that bizarre too?

Are these the same people who decided their states should not make it just MLK Day, but it should share with Robert E Lee? Or the state that didn't recognize it until 17 years ago?

MLK Day is about the people who lived under legal subjugation in the US for a century after the Civil War and the many people who fought, risking everything, to end that status. MLK was the most recognizable leader and was assassinated. He's a great symbol of a movement, which is why it is "his" day. That is a day for millions of Americans who were involved in something much bigger than themselves, and did so at great risk.

How this compares to a newspaper owner getting Columbus Day put in place as a federal holiday because he thought it would be cool (we were already having parades!), I don't know. At least not beyond the fact that it involves two symbolic dudes. I'll pick the guy who led a movement to stop subjugation of Americans over the guy who subjugated Americans any time.

14 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Do we celebrate Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman, notwithstanding their "terror bombing" of German and Japanese civilians during WWII?

We don’t have holidays for either of those Presidents

And Truman isn’t very popular although this popularity has grown somewhat in the decades since he left office

6 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

Are these the same people who decided their states should not make it just MLK Day, but it should share with Robert E Lee? Or the state that didn't recognize it until 17 years ago?

MLK Day is about the people who lived under legal subjugation in the US for a century after the Civil War and the many people who fought, risking everything, to end that status. MLK was the most recognizable leader and was assassinated. He's a great symbol of a movement, which is why it is "his" day. That is a day for millions of Americans who were involved in something much bigger than themselves, and did so at great risk.

How this compares to a newspaper owner getting Columbus Day put in place as a federal holiday because he thought it would be cool (we were already having parades!), I don't know. At least not beyond the fact that it involves two symbolic dudes. I'll pick the guy who led a movement to stop subjugation of Americans over the guy who subjugated Americans any time.

I think Juneteenth should’ve been a National Holiday to celebrate abolishing slavery but I guess we make up for it by February being Black History Month

7 minutes ago, soulflower said:

We don’t have holidays for either of those Presidents

And Truman isn’t very popular although this popularity has grown somewhat in the decades since he left office

Yes, we do. It's called Presidents Day!

8 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Yes, we do. It's called Presidents Day!

Presidents’ day originally celebrated George Washington’s Birthday but later became a celebration of all US Presidents

38 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

And King stood for ideals written in the Declaration of Independence that would should all strive to live up to.

51 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Some four million Italians legally migrated to our country way back when. In doing so, it helped to make the U.S. a better place. I'm not going to rag on them about who they choose to celebrate. :) 

Not to mention great gangster movies.

21 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Presidents’ day originally celebrated George Washington’s Birthday but later became a celebration of all US Presidents

The federal holiday is still "Washington's Birthday".

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Most ALL immigrants were not treated well when they first arrived by the 'locals' .

But somehow.....they rose above it. I wonder why?;)

Edited by Guido2

52 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

/thread.

Fantastic post.

25 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Not to mention great gangster movies.

They brought food; family; wine; a culture that many had not experienced.  I'm not sure that they brought the "great" gangster movies but if you say so.

43 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Yes, soulflower, I know this. I've been around a while. No need to attempt to correct me. It's called Presidents Day regardless of its beginnings. :)

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Most ALL immigrants were not treated well when they first arrived by the 'locals' .

But somehow.....they rose above it. I wonder why?;)

A Protestant nation, we were suspicious of Catholics and where their loyalties lay. Big riots at one time in Philly over using the King James Bible in public schools. The Irish didn't like it.

Taking jobs from Blacks helped them "rise above". 

Edited by hst2

I think Columbus was a Catholic so in that respect I like him but I don't care about the holiday. I work for a Government intelligence contract and we are closed but because of all the work we have unlimited OT so I am working 4 hours so I get paid for 12 hours. Thanks Columbus!

Thank GoD my company stopped the Colombus day thing.

I intend to wear the hair-shirt all day as atonement for the suffering caused by the inherent evil of white people and my racial privilege.

Mea culpa