soulflower

VP Pence’s NFL counter protest

225 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Kind of irritating planning this kind of stunt. This was supposed to be Peyton Manning's day to be honored by the Colts. Shame to distract from that tribute to one of the finest QBs ever.

The idiot players who decided to take a knee are the ones to blame for the distraction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Pense does what Pense is told to do, after all he is Trump's Number One B****, Pense love him long time.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, soulflower said:

 

Waste of time and money. And proved nothing not already known. One day the adults will be in charge again.

Edited by Sprightly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Waste of time and money. And proved nothing not already known. One day the adults will be in charge again.

One day soon I hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tickets. Air travel. Hotel. Secret service protection. Transportation. All on the taxpayers' dime. All for a hundred and sixty characters. It's sure good to know this administration is a wise steward of the public fisc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EnochRoot said:

Hardly. If you're honest about things, you'd admit that a leader would've welcomed the opportunity for a sit-down with a representation of those protesting. Instead, Pence draws a false line in the sand so that he can say he's on the side "honoring" the flag, or whatever the bleep that means. It's all a bunch of sanctimonious tripe. You know it. I know it. We all know it. 

More BS, at least the first part.  Had he met with the players, half of the LWNJs here would have accused him of trying to break the Union by not meeting the with all and the other half would say this is more proof of the uncoordinated WH.

What he should have done is not been present until the “protest” was over or stayed home.

As to the sanctimonious tripe...of course it is, it’s American politics.  They are ALL full of sanctimonious tripe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonsensback said:

I would have expected to him to walk if the Colts players took a knee but not the opposing team, especially the niners which is expected.

Stay there and root your team to kick ***.

So yes, smells like politics.

This whole scenario  hasn’t smelled like politics since September 2016?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

From the article:

Quote

 

The timing of Pence's brief NFL experience Sunday drew some mockery on the internet.

Ron Klain, Joe Biden's former chief of staff, tweeted: "Wish you were putting as much time into saving Puerto Rico as you are in staging stunt walk outs of NFL games."

 

Damn!

Edited by Calamari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ms maggie said:

He's the VPOTUS. And apparently has lots of time on his hands.

And of course Trump rushed to comment on Twitter that HE had directed Pence to do this.

Leadership. Oy.

 

You sometimes don't believe what Trump says but this time you do ...???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Tickets. Air travel. Hotel. Secret service protection. Transportation. All on the taxpayers' dime. All for a hundred and sixty characters. It's sure good to know this administration is a wise steward of the public fisc.

Tickets were likely free or owners box where you don't need one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Tickets were likely free or owners box where you don't need one.

Even if true (1), does that make the rest of the stuff a wise expenditure? For a political stunt?

(1) I'd charge a member of the Trump administration extra, for involving me in their political games. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this was Trump's idea.  I don't care if Pence wants to leave the game, or criticize players kneeling, but this was planned and it's petty.   The memo that the Trump administration needs to get is that nobody cares about this issue anymore.  The players made their statement two weeks ago, the fans let them know how they felt about it.  It's over now.  The NFL quietly came up with a compromise that is a better visual and most teams and players have been following it.  The fans don't care about it, whatever the cause is at this point, or how any politicians feel.  The fans simply want to see the players play.  As for the politicians, I would think they have more pressing things to do considering they haven't been able to get one thing past a congress of their own party.  The guy who started the whole thing isn't even in the league and isn't likely to be anytime soon.  I'm not sure the broadcasts are even covering the anthem anymore.  I didn't see it in any of the games I watched today.  Most fans are tired of hearing about it and just want to do what they go to the games for, or tune in for......watch some football!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cprenegade said:

I hope this was Trump's idea.  I don't care if Pence wants to leave the game, or criticize players kneeling, but this was planned and it's petty.   The memo that the Trump administration needs to get is that nobody cares about this issue anymore.  The players made their statement two weeks ago, the fans let them know how they felt about it.  It's over now.  The NFL quietly came up with a compromise that is a better visual and most teams and players have been following it.  The fans don't care about it, whatever the cause is at this point, or how any politicians feel.  The fans simply want to see the players play.  As for the politicians, I would think they have more pressing things to do considering they haven't been able to get one thing past a congress of their own party.  The guy who started the whole thing isn't even in the league and isn't likely to be anytime soon.  I'm not sure the broadcasts are even covering the anthem anymore.  I didn't see it in any of the games I watched today.  Most fans are tired of hearing about it and just want to do what they go to the games for, or tune in for......watch some football!

If Pence specifically made the trip to go to the game for a planned stunt, it's really pathetic. The most likely reason would be that he was dispatched to do so to stroke the ego of the President. Hopefully he had other business or personal things going on and this was just an easy grab. Otherwise, wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, volperdinger said:

This whole scenario  hasn’t smelled like politics since September 2016?

Absolutely, and it morphed to what we have now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pence was engaging in a publicity stunt... just like the kneeling/sitting players are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Pence was engaging in a publicity stunt... just like the kneeling/sitting players are.

A very expensive publicity stunt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, selective outrage ......

Never seen libs so worried about wasting tax payer money before .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, soulflower said:

A very expensive publicity stunt 

Yeah, it was.  But that's the least of my problems with it as all politicians take advantage of those kind of perks at times.  The only people who usually complain are the partisans from the opposition party.  Remember the complaints about some of Obama's taxpayer funded trips?  I wouldn't mind seeing the perks taken away, but then I wouldn't mind seeing salaries taken away from politicians.  If they really want service to the country, do so without taking money from the taxpayer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Lol, selective outrage ......

Never seen libs so worried about wasting tax payer money before .....

It’s our turn to complain and the complaints are more valid now than when you folks complained about Obama’s dinner menu or his mom-in-law living in the White House

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Yeah, it was.  But that's the least of my problems with it as all politicians take advantage of those kind of perks at times.  The only people who usually complain are the partisans from the opposition party.  Remember the complaints about some of Obama's taxpayer funded trips?  I wouldn't mind seeing the perks taken away, but then I wouldn't mind seeing salaries taken away from politicians.  If they really want service to the country, do so without taking money from the taxpayer. 

Not sure that's a good idea. What you would end up with would be even less of average (i.e. non multi-millionaires) in office.

I don't mind the POTUS taking vacations. It's a very stressful job. And the costs to the taxpayers are mostly security and don't see a way around that.

I mind this mickey mouse bull****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

Not sure that's a good idea. What you would end up with would be even less of average (i.e. non multi-millionaires) in office.

I don't mind the POTUS taking vacations. It's a very stressful job. And the costs to the taxpayers are mostly security and don't see a way around that.

I mind this mickey mouse bull****.

I know it will never happen, it's just a feeling of mine that service to the country shouldn't be rewarded with the high salaries and perks that these people get.  They already are power hungry office seekers, paying them 6 digit salaries to do it seems excessive to me.  We pay soldiers far less and ask a lot more of them.  We pay police and fire personnel a lot less and ask them to put their lives on the line.  But I get it, that's not the way the world works.   I have a problem with Pence's little stunt, but I also have a problem with some of the other things that go on.  Not to single out Obama because he is hardly the only one to do so, but his Valentines day "date" where he flew to Chicago on the taxpayer payroll rubbed me wrong as well.  Not that I don't think he shouldn't do it, but he should pay for it and not have the taxpayer on the hook for it.  Same with all of Trump's BS that the taxpayer is getting charged for.  When Melania was living in NY and he was in Washington he should have been personally paying for the security around her.  If not, pull the damn security.  If he wanted the job in the first place he should realize to get protection his wife and son need to be in Washington with him, not in New York.  Same with all of his golf trips and trips to Mar Lago.  As for taking vacations because the job is stressful, I don't care.  Yeah the job is stressful, so what.  You wanted it, deal with it and stop asking me to pay to relieve your "stress".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, soulflower said:

The Ravens and Jaguars were not representing the USA 

Exactly right, they were making more money for the NFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

You sometimes don't believe what Trump says but this time you do ...???

I believe him when he attempts to aggrandize himself, in the sense that the aggrandizing is his whole point. E.g. when he claims he's going to build the biggest, bestest wall ever, I believe he has no clue how to do it, but loves the boasting part. And of course I believe he knows how to pander to his base.

And in this case, is there a significant difference? If he told Pence that or not, feeling the need to tweet about it?

MAGA

Edited by ms maggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I know it will never happen, it's just a feeling of mine that service to the country shouldn't be rewarded with the high salaries and perks that these people get.  They already are power hungry office seekers, paying them 6 digit salaries to do it seems excessive to me.  We pay soldiers far less and ask a lot more of them.  We pay police and fire personnel a lot less and ask them to put their lives on the line.  But I get it, that's not the way the world works.   I have a problem with Pence's little stunt, but I also have a problem with some of the other things that go on.  Not to single out Obama because he is hardly the only one to do so, but his Valentines day "date" where he flew to Chicago on the taxpayer payroll rubbed me wrong as well.  Not that I don't think he shouldn't do it, but he should pay for it and not have the taxpayer on the hook for it.  Same with all of Trump's BS that the taxpayer is getting charged for.  When Melania was living in NY and he was in Washington he should have been personally paying for the security around her.  If not, pull the damn security.  If he wanted the job in the first place he should realize to get protection his wife and son need to be in Washington with him, not in New York.  Same with all of his golf trips and trips to Mar Lago.  As for taking vacations because the job is stressful, I don't care.  Yeah the job is stressful, so what.  You wanted it, deal with it and stop asking me to pay to relieve your "stress".  

We pay most of them low 6 figures.

To put into context the average CMU IT undergrad degreed kid is getting $175k.

The money they make for their job is fine. It's the money that corrupts them otherwise that is awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

We pay most of them low 6 figures.

To put into context the average CMU IT undergrad degreed kid is getting $175k.

The money they make for their job is fine. It's the money that corrupts them otherwise that is awful.

Low 6 figures?  2017 base salary for every member of the house and senate is $174,000 per year.  Leadership positions are all over $190,000.  The POTUS makes $400,000 per year.  And that isn't even including the lifetime benefits, pension, and other perks they enjoy which are not available to the ordinary citizen.  That places most of these people in the top 1% that people like to disdain as part of the income inequality.  I can think of one way to start chopping away at that inequality.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now