soulflower

VP Pence’s NFL counter protest

225 posts in this topic

It's not surprising.  I said last year that the NFL would act on this if it became a PR headache, which it has now become.  It doesn't matter that the players say it is not disrespecting the flag, it is perceived as such and the NFL is a very image conscious league.  They will accept nothing that hurts the NFL brand.  Goodell is attempting to reach a compromise with the players where they would stand for the anthem, but the NFL will encourage other types of platforms to address their concerns.  Next week is the NFL October meetings.  I would be surprised if out of that meeting it isn't made mandatory, complete with a fine/suspension penalty scale.  The NFLPA can try fighting it in court, but it would likely be a long fight going all the way to the Supreme court as the NFL is going to claim this is a workplace issue, not a 1st amendment issue.  The NFL has great latitude within the CBA under the personal conduct clause.  They already routinely fines players for simple uniform changes that don't adhere to the strict dress code.  Goodell will try to be as delicate and understanding as possible to the players position, but he works for the owners and they are looking for league guidance to end this situation.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cprenegade said:

It's not surprising.  I said last year that the NFL would act on this if it became a PR headache, which it has now become.  It doesn't matter that the players say it is not disrespecting the flag, it is perceived as such and the NFL is a very image conscious league.  They will accept nothing that hurts the NFL brand.  Goodell is attempting to reach a compromise with the players where they would stand for the anthem, but the NFL will encourage other types of platforms to address their concerns.  Next week is the NFL October meetings.  I would be surprised if out of that meeting it isn't made mandatory, complete with a fine/suspension penalty scale.  The NFLPA can try fighting it in court, but it would likely be a long fight going all the way to the Supreme court as the NFL is going to claim this is a workplace issue, not a 1st amendment issue.  The NFL has great latitude within the CBA under the personal conduct clause.  They already routinely fines players for simple uniform changes that don't adhere to the strict dress code.  Goodell will try to be as delicate and understanding as possible to the players position, but he works for the owners and they are looking for league guidance to end this situation.   

In a way Mark Cuban was right. The NFL will kill itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump tweeting inaccurate information is really just par for the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another wrong prediction from the libs here.

The bottom line IS being affected.

You guys have really lost touch with what Americans think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Commish Memo of yesterday:

 

To: Chief Executives/ Club Presidents
From: Commissioner Goodell
Date: October 10, 2017
Re: Fall Meeting/National Anthem

We live in a country that can feel very divided. Sports, and especially the NFL, brings people together and lets them set aside those divisions, at least for a few hours. The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.

I’m very proud of our players and owners who have done the hard work over the past year to listen, understand and attempt to address the underlying issues within their communities. At our September committee meetings, we heard directly from several players about why these issues are so important to them and how we can support their work. And last week, we met with the leadership of the NFLPA and more players to advance the dialogue.

Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

Building on many discussions with clubs and players, we have worked to develop a plan that we will review with you at next week’s League meeting. This would include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues, and that will help to promote positive change in our country. We want to ensure that any work at the League level is consistent with the work that each club is doing in its own community, and that we dedicate a platform that can enable these initiatives to succeed. Additionally, we will continue the unprecedented dialogue with our players.

I expect and look forward to a full and open discussion of these issues when we meet next week in New York. Everyone involved in the game needs to come together on a path forward to continue to be a force for good within our communities, protect the game, and preserve our relationship with fans throughout the country. The NFL is at its best when we ourselves are unified. In that spirit, let’s resolve that next week we will meet this challenge in a unified and positive way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Scaggsville said:

The Commish Memo of yesterday:

 

To: Chief Executives/ Club Presidents
From: Commissioner Goodell
Date: October 10, 2017
Re: Fall Meeting/National Anthem

We live in a country that can feel very divided. Sports, and especially the NFL, brings people together and lets them set aside those divisions, at least for a few hours. The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.

I’m very proud of our players and owners who have done the hard work over the past year to listen, understand and attempt to address the underlying issues within their communities. At our September committee meetings, we heard directly from several players about why these issues are so important to them and how we can support their work. And last week, we met with the leadership of the NFLPA and more players to advance the dialogue.

Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

Building on many discussions with clubs and players, we have worked to develop a plan that we will review with you at next week’s League meeting. This would include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues, and that will help to promote positive change in our country. We want to ensure that any work at the League level is consistent with the work that each club is doing in its own community, and that we dedicate a platform that can enable these initiatives to succeed. Additionally, we will continue the unprecedented dialogue with our players.

I expect and look forward to a full and open discussion of these issues when we meet next week in New York. Everyone involved in the game needs to come together on a path forward to continue to be a force for good within our communities, protect the game, and preserve our relationship with fans throughout the country. The NFL is at its best when we ourselves are unified. In that spirit, let’s resolve that next week we will meet this challenge in a unified and positive way.

Confirms the Don lied again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Norman said:

Confirms the Don lied again.

I understand what you are saying, but if the Commish takes time out of his busy schedule to write a memo to all 32 of his plantation owners, there really is a very fine line between "demand" and "highly encourage".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Scaggsville said:

I understand what you are saying, but if the Commish takes time out of his busy schedule to write a memo to all 32 of his plantation owners, there really is a very fine line between "demand" and "highly encourage".

I'm missing where he's even doing that.  They're going to discuss it.  Perhaps he'll highly encourage it, who knows. They probably should have done this before the season started, but they didn't anticipate the Tweeter-in-Chief pour gas on it I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm missing where he's even doing that.  They're going to discuss it.  Perhaps he'll highly encourage it, who knows. They probably should have done this before the season started, but they didn't anticipate the Tweeter-in-Chief pour gas on it I guess.

The dynamics of the NFL dictates that they have to discuss it as opposed to the Commish mandating or demanding anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hst2 said:

White privilege dictates the story.

Like statues of Lee merely represent southern pride.

Here is a question for you hst2.

Let me start by using an old phrase. Put your money where your mouth is.

Now that being said. About 60-70% of the players and coaches in the NFL are African-American in the NBA about 90%.

So....if they are so concerned etc etc.be it police or Trump....why don't the go on strike and walk off the job in protest?

The lowly unwashed average joe does it...why not them for far lesser things.

BTW both joe and jock have contracts.....so don't play that card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm missing where he's even doing that.  They're going to discuss it.  Perhaps he'll highly encourage it, who knows. They probably should have done this before the season started, but they didn't anticipate the Tweeter-in-Chief pour gas on it I guess.

I would suggest that you read the memo again keying in on paragraph (3).

Taking the memo in totality as a response to the ongoing controversy, one could easily make the case that in that context, he is "highly encouraging" and will "highly encourage" in the future.

We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This goes down as a win for Trump. (oh, it's a bigger win for decency, common sense, respect and our bedrock culture)  It's also an abject lesson on how deluded the left is-- as in pre-election they believed their own media and own polls, which all stated Trump had no chance. None, Zippo, - they actually thought they represented a clear majority-- they have an inaccurate measurement of the pulse of the nation-- which they continually re-enforce with their dominance of the media and thus they all believe it, then they are shell-shocked. I will say that at this point, Trump will be better served- and we would too-  excuse himself from further involvement and let what he set in motion take its course. 

 

Similarly, the NFL just didn't know who their own audience is and like pre-election, believed either that the anthem antics were supported by the majority, or not thought to be a big enough deal to make an issue out of--- Now, the NFL is discovering to their chagrin, just who pays the bills, buys the tickets and the sponsors' stuff and all the NFL merchandise.  Big miscalculation, but keep it up-- right on through 2018 and 2020!

Edited by Saticon3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scaggsville said:

I would suggest that you read the memo again keying in on paragraph (3).

Taking the memo in totality as a response to the ongoing controversy, one could easily make the case that in that context, he is "highly encouraging" and will "highly encourage" in the future.

We'll see.

I wouldn’t read too much into it given what the NFL said today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much that stunt cost.  I mean fuel for Air Force 2, Secret Service Agents, Police officers pulled from cases (overtime), etc. All for a meaningless stunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

I wonder how much that stunt cost.  I mean fuel for Air Force 2, Secret Service Agents, Police officers pulled from cases (overtime), etc. All for a meaningless stunt.

Go back to page one. There are numerous figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

Goodell has already stated that he wants the players to stand for the anthem.  There will be NFLPA representation at the meeting and they will come to an agreement that includes all teams, all players standing for the anthem.   The NFL understands what this is doing to their image, and Goodell will likely explain the bottom line to the NFLPA and it's representatives.  The majority of players were standing for the anthem last Sunday.  Nobody wants to hear that cap money will be reduced if revenues are off.  Cap money determines how much can be spent on salary.   There will be a compromise that results in all players standing for the anthem.  The NFL isn't about to let this controversy continue to affect their image.  That is the reason for this agenda at the meetings this week.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Link

Quote

Not only have fans not stopped going to games, but they're watching on TV more than they did last year. Despite Trump's claim that TV ratings are down, the overall figures for the past two weeks say the opposite. Week 3 ratings were up 3% across all games from 2016, including a spike of 63% in the rating for Monday Night Football,the league announced last week. Overall, viewership for Monday Night Football is averaging 11.9 million through the first four weeks, a 5% increase from last year.

The league would like to resolve the issue because they view it as a distraction they don't want or need, but the claim that's it's materially impacted their bottom line is a myth conservatives really want to believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Link

The league would like to resolve the issue because they view it as a distraction they don't want or need, but the claim that's it's materially impacted their bottom line is a myth conservatives really want to believe.

Say what you will, however NFL attendance is down, kneeling or otherwise, as is TV viewership, which contrary to popular belief is where the owners make their money.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/oct/05/nfl-needs-to-tackle-loss-of-viewership-/

Quote

Football is a game, and that means it is supposed to be entertaining.

It's all about the benjamins.

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/goodell-sends-letter-to-nfl-owners-regarding-kneeling-during-anthem/258168164

Quote

In the letter, Goodell said the "current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country."

I could not care less, having given up on professional sports after the strikes of the 80's-90's

When someone shows me  how the multi-million dollar per-year players are somehow "oppressed," then i may think about it. 

I was a football fan when players (black and white) made $50-60,000 per season.

The way it oughta be.

Edited by blowboatbethesda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s not enough data to say for certain if the boycotts are affecting the NFL’s bottom line 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Say what you will, however NFL attendance is down, kneeling or otherwise, as is TV viewership, which contrary to popular belief is where the owners make their money.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/oct/05/nfl-needs-to-tackle-loss-of-viewership-/

It's all about the benjamins.

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/goodell-sends-letter-to-nfl-owners-regarding-kneeling-during-anthem/258168164

I could not care less, having given up on professional sports after the strikes of the 80's-90's

When someone shows me  how the multi-million dollar per-year players are somehow "oppressed," then i may think about it. 

I was a football fan when players (black and white) made $50-60,000 per season.

The way it oughta be.

I disagree.  They should make at least enough to (in theory) retire comfortably after football considering the long term injuries and brain damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ivanbalt said:

I disagree.  They should make at least enough to (in theory) retire comfortably after football considering the long term injuries and brain damage.

No one then and no one now forced any players to take that field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I disagree.  They should make at least enough to (in theory) retire comfortably after football considering the long term injuries and brain damage.

With that theory, shouldn't we all ..??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

With that theory, shouldn't we all ..??

Yes, but the average football career is much shorter than the average job/field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now