Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TDHelmick

Team from Florida to play at Fort Hill Saturday Night

42 posts in this topic

Got it, FH would still historically be the 2nd best team in Cumberland of two teams regarding MPSSAA football titles.  Thanks sick

And someone told me AlCo may be tied with Dunbar with basketball titles or championship appearance or something basketball related.

Those Campers are something else also Todd.

Edited by DayWalker

And the Campers have been playing football since 1926. Indeed, a very rich history in several sports. They will finally tear down the old girl next year as the new Allegany HS is opening in 2018 up on Haystack Mountain. The stories of the Alco gym hosting such events as the University of Maryland basketball will always permeate that hallowed ground.

But I really see Alco and FH consolidating sooner than later. Cumberland High School is coming in our lifetime. The numbers and finances dictate such. It would be a Class 3A school athletically. And a three-deep football depth chart.

Alco travels to Keyser (WV) Friday night. Usually a tight match up and another long tradition between those two. I got Alco by 3-4 scores. If you get up this way for Week 10 someday give a holler. Worth the trip.

Edited by TDHelmick

Tonight - Best game I've seen in Cumberland since 1974. Wow. 8000 people in the stands. Down 14 to start the 4th quarter, FH wins on last second field goal 44-42.

See Todd, you're not in a league so book better games and not CUPCAKES 10-0 seasons and enjoy many more of these.....

I drove past Cumberland a little before 7pm heading back to Bmore from WVU. Thought about stopping to watch the game but figured it was sold out. Congrats to FH on the exciting win.

9 hours ago, DayWalker said:

See Todd, you're not in a league so book better games and not CUPCAKES 10-0 seasons and enjoy many more of these.....

Oh man if it were just that easy. I don't deal the MPSSAA cards. Ask 6-1 Middletown or Douglass PG's reward for playing Wise. No need to get into this discussion much here as it should be repetitive for a reason. In this regional set up where no one in the region plays each other, two to three of these games are all you can afford to play. 7-3  teams won't make the playoffs in the West. If I have to explain why that is or if you don't agree with it, not a problem. Would be more than happy to play a 9 game City League schedule. I can assure you the people up here would call it a cupcake schedule even though I would not.

37 minutes ago, TDHelmick said:

Oh man if it were just that easy. I don't deal the MPSSAA cards. Ask 6-1 Middletown or Douglass PG's reward for playing Wise. No need to get into this discussion much here as it should be repetitive for a reason. In this regional set up where no one in the region plays each other, two to three of these games are all you can afford to play. 7-3  teams won't make the playoffs in the West. If I have to explain why that is or if you don't agree with it, not a problem. Would be more than happy to play a 9 game City League schedule. I can assure you the people up here would call it a cupcake schedule even though I would not.

The DayWalker is not quite sure what you mean by ask 6-1 Middletown or DouglassPG's reward for playing Wise.  First, I can't recall Middletown ever playing Wise and they are in a league.  And two, Douglass nearly beat Wise one season up 14 - 0 going into the 4th-quarter before three in their own red zone turnovers resulted in the Wise win.  I recall another Douglass-Wise game that was the closest Wise victory for a couple years until the recent CHC game.  Now if you are saying Douglass didn't make the playoffs for losing to Wise, that would be wrong.  Additionally losing other games did that.  But Douglass doesn't look to guaranteed wins to make the playoffs but just play their schedule of league opponents and their choice of one of two non-league games.

You don't deal the MPSSAA cards and neither does anyone else individually.  Scheduling can be so much easier Todd but you just insist on doing it your way, that definition of insanity of doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.  But hey, do you, just do you.  This last game of more evenly matched teams played before a packed house you tell us is SO much better for a franchise like Fort Hill than the same ole bored to tears 50, 60, 70 blow outs you experienced for years.  I use to make that 2 - 3-hour trip to Greenway but no more for those games over by halftime.  Come on Todd, you are a FOUR consecutive champion for heaven sakes!!  When was the last time you lost a game...  Quit crying about not making the playoffs or winning states!!  But maybe you will when you are no longer historically the 2nd best football team in Cumberland regarding MPSSAA state football titles.

But yep, let's not get into the discussion of good relationships on scheduling.  It is a concept between DeMatha and MD public schools that SilverBullet can't seem to grasp also, or CC is just as pig-headed about the matter.  The DayWalker is just sayin' giving no cut card...

Edited by DayWalker

Middletown 6-1 and out of playoffs right now.

Just so I'm getting it, FH beats this team from Florida and plays Friendship this week and Alco in 2 more weeks and they need to add more games like the team from Florida? How many more games if 7-3 takes leaves you out of the playoffs?

Do you ask this of the 9 time state champ Poets. Or the 8 time state champ Campers, the historically best team in Cumberland? Because I don't see one simgle team of this calibre on those schedules. Or is this just a FH thing? Just curious.

30 minutes ago, TDHelmick said:

Just so I'm getting it, FH beats this team from Florida and plays Friendship this week and Alco in 2 more weeks and they need to add more games like the team from Florida? How many more games if 7-3 takes leaves you out of the playoffs?

Do you ask this of the 9 time state champ Poets. Or the 8 time state champ Campers, the historically best team in Cumberland? Because I don't see one simgle team of this calibre on those schedules. Or is this just a FH thing? Just curious.

Just so you get it, you play FCA in DC.  You always play AlCo week 10.  Congrats on playing an evenly matched game against the Florida team.  But the other seven games and usual 8 - 9 annual 50, 60, 70 point CUPCAKE events is a crime and you and your following know it.  I need not have to ask the Poets any thing as they are in a league with first league obligations.  Eight time state champ Alco won its last title what, 10 to 15 years ago????  Come on fellow.

You, on the verge of being a FIVE consecutive state champ having not lost a game in YEARS, talk of this one evenly matched game against the Florida team as if you have taken on the best across the board.  No TD, it's not a FH thing unless you want The DayWalker to make it a thing, no problem if you're really curious.  I'm just calling it as I see.  Again, good evenly match Florida game and win.  Do more and perhaps a vamp will return to Greenway but that ain't happening with 50, 60, 70 point FH cupcake wins.  And I suspect your FH community think the same over state titles.

Thanks. That is a great compliment to hold FH in a place no one else is required to follow :)

But it seems people do measure state championships apparently. FH and Alco people probably more than most. This coming from the 2ND best team in Cumberland...historically speaking ;)

Edited by TDHelmick

38 minutes ago, TDHelmick said:

Thanks. That is a great compliment to hold FH in a place no one else is required to follow :)

But it seems people do measure state championships apparently. FH and Alco people probably more than most. This coming from the 2ND best team in Cumberland...historically speaking ;)

TD, The DayWalker hold Fort Hill to nothing required of no one else but rather telling you that season after season after season of 50, 60, 70-point Fort Hill wins even though they lead to state titles is killing you at home.  You own super Cumberland fanatical faithful just hate it and more and more are finding something else to do in a town of nothing else but Fort Hill High School Football to do than to go to Greenway.  People may measure state championships but you now live by them like you are addicted to it rather than quality play that once was the backbone or main foundation of Fort Hill football.  You are now blinded by the lights of title glory when you once were held in so much higher regard across the state in losing the title in 2008 than winning four straight even among your own.

But facts are facts TD, you're still 2nd best in Cumberland historically til you win nine.....a requirement for you no other team has to fulfill to historical be the best in your two horse town.  But you best Git R Dun before there is no more FH / AlCo and the count starts anew with CHS...  :P

It's a good discussion. Sometimes it's better for me to shut my yap (or fingers as the case may be) and just listen.

So I respectfully ask...what would you consider a legit football schedule for FH? As in how many heavyweights vs. middle weights vs. 1A type opponents knowing our given playoff situation in the west where 7-3 can leave you out of the playoffs? And please know 7-3 teams will be left out of the playoffs this year in the west. Maybe an 8-2 team as well. Or maybe I have misread what you are saying in that the playoffs should be irrelevant and FH should just concern themselves with loading up the schedule as much as possible.

It's good to ask at a place that doesn't get lost in smack talk between the Allegany and FH rivalry as it so happen up in the hills.  If anyone else can chime in I'm all ear/eyes. It's an important question from a guy who actually puts the FH schedule together.

Edited by TDHelmick

The DayWalker surely understand the goal of making the playoff Playoffs PLAYOFFS that is so over obvious of utmost importance to you but shelve the schedule fix to insure you go 9 - 0 to make the playoffs.  If I have to explain scheduling 50, 60, 70-points week after week after week wins and the adverse impact it has on your program from the fan perspective then I'm communicating with the wrong person.  Since you are not in a league except for effectively your other county teams, you have great latitude in scheduling.  This coupled with a solid football tradition demand you play much more evenly matched opponents and it need not be so-called heavyweights, middle-weights, etc, just more evenly match games I'm damn sure you can find as you find what your lot call CUPCAKES.  If the truth is to be told, Fort Hill is a heavyweight although you are 1A affirmed being on the verge of five consecutive titles.  So flush the we are just a little rural 1A program.  You are of the Walkerville, Damascus, Oakdale, Calvert Hall, Mount Saint Joe, et al caliber.

I'm not advocating you go the route of 1A Surrattsville who asked to play Wise, E Roosevelt, and Oxon Hill with a team who couldn't beat High Point but there is a higher ceiling for you to reach.  CHC has a solid history of playing public teams.  Make contact and don't dismiss them because they don't pan out to be an opponent the following season.  I thought you established a good relationship with your games against MSJ.  Have you contacted Oakdale or Walkersville or Damascus or Franklin or Milford Mill....  Landon seems like a good match. as well as GT Prep or Saint Mary's Ryken.

6 hours ago, TDHelmick said:

He has no idea how ridiculous he sounds Todd.

7 minutes ago, Waggle Pass said:

He has no idea how ridiculous he sounds Todd.

The DayWalker sound no more ridiculous than your broke back mountain boyz in your western MD board pretty much saying the same thing repeatedly about your CUPCAKE scheduling - 50, 60, 70-point blowouts, and your fans decreasing desire to see the circus at Greenway.  Yep Todd, everyone else sounds ridiculous.  So do yourself a solid and don't mention your Fort Hill issues here in BMore.  Keep your crap out west on that board; preach to your own choir.

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

The DayWalker sound no more ridiculous than your broke back mountain boyz in your western MD board pretty much saying the same thing repeatedly about your CUPCAKE scheduling - 50, 60, 70-point blowouts, and your fans decreasing desire to see the circus at Greenway.  Yep Todd, everyone else sounds ridiculous.  So do yourself a solid and don't mention your Fort Hill issues here in BMore.  Keep your crap out west on that board; preach to your own choir.

Wait, wait...stay with me here Day. It's a good discussion. Hopefully I have been respectful, let's not lose that.

I actually hear Day talking. I'm probably more towards his way of thinking then he realizes. FH people do need to hear these things and I do preach them even to our own coaching staff daily. My mama didn't raise no blind fool. I'm always asking what others would do in this position. It's such a fine line to walk between making sure 7-3 doesn't leave you out of the playoffs behind teams that won't play you while wanting to take on anybody. The Melbourne CC game was proof in the pudding. Would love to see more of that every season  home or away. Everybody would. How many of those type teams can you pick up without going into overload. I'm very frustrated. Only seeking other input that can't be laid out on a Western Maryland front. Too much bickering and smack talk to stay logical with certain folk there. Turns into a FH/Allegany urinating match.

People that try to call FH out for playing what they see as all cupcakes is actually a way of them saying FH is legit, step up. I do get that. If you read what Day has said it's been very truthful on many levels. If we don't agree on all of it, well that's part of discovering things you may have never thought of before. I don't dismiss that process.

Edited by TDHelmick

9 hours ago, TDHelmick said:

It's such a fine line to walk between making sure 7-3 doesn't leave you out of the playoffs behind teams that won't play you while wanting to take on anybody.

And thus I repeat, scheduling just to insure you make the playoffs also has an adverse impact.  If everyone did this, still only 16 teams in each class will make the playoffs.  Yes, there will be 6 and 1 Middletowns not make the playoffs.  I recall 2010-2011 8 and 2 Gwynn Park and Westminster teams not make the playoffs but understand points factor as much as Ws and Ls.  This season in your region JMT is currently projecting a 6-4 Boonsboro will get the 4th playoff slot over 7-3 Catoctin, 7-2 N Garrett, and 6-4 Brunswick on points.  But come on TD, now wasn't your Florida game a great great event you said with 8,000 in attendance!!  And it still would have been a great event even if Fort Hill lost.  If you are consistently dropping 50, 60, 70 points on opponents in over-the-top non-competitive games you select, then you are greatly booking below your level such that although you "win" and even win titles in the end, the journey / experience to get there just doesn't measure up.

As I said, many folks outside of Cumberland fondly remember Fort Hill just as much for the title game it lost in 2008 to Dunbar in that epic game as the four consecutive titles Fort Hill won.  And so many folks recall 2008 Dunbar and not just because of TA but what the team did in that last drive and what TA did on his last high school play with Dunbar to win the title; the journey TD, the journey.  I still think of one of my cousins whose son played on the 2014 Douglass state championship team and although they were the #1 ranked DMV team in winning states with the accolade of being the most dominating team ever, I recall him pointing to the #1 trophy with placards of the games they won with scores and him pointing to the 1st W win and saying this should have been Wise rather than Westlake 38 - 0 as Wise backed out of playing Douglass just before the start of the season to take a pay day at a NJ kickoff classic.  He thinks Wise did a glitch on Douglass' jouney that would have really completed things had Douglass won and they still would have won states had they lost to Wise though that was not likely with Wise's 2014 team, the journey!!

I'm not suggesting you book 9 games with Wise.  Heck, it's very difficult to know year to year who are fairly good in the public ranks save a few brand names that include Fort Hill.  But a team like Walkersville should NOT have played New Era the same time you played whomever you beat by 50, 60, 70 points,  Two champs in Fort Hill and Walkersville would have made a great season kickoff classic that just may have prompted a vamp to go to FORT HILL to see that instead of or in addition to a nice three-game season opener I did see.  Again I am not saying book 9 monster games or 4 monster home games but 1A Fort Hill is very capable in handling many of the better teams around the state to include privates who they say "play on another level" than publics. especially 1A publics.  ;)

Edited by DayWalker