Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtowne-swim

Trump declares Columbus a great Italian-American

64 posts in this topic

While Isabella I and Ferdinand II of Spain sponsored his historic voyage, Columbus was a native of the City of Genoa, in present day Italy, and represents the rich history of important Italian American contributions to our great Nation. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/10/06/president-donald-j-trump-proclaims-october-9-2017-columbus-day

remarkable considering Italy and The US were not countries yet! Aside from which m his rainbow version of history.

Posted (edited)

Genoa was a Sovereign Republic for 700 years.

Not to mention Columbus never set foot on any US Territory, or North America for that Matter.

He was responsible for enabling the genocide of Tainos Indians on Hispaniola.

Leif Erickson established a colony on Newfoundland around 1000 AD or so.

Edited by karlydee2

Oh and he was instrumental in the enslavement of Indigenous peoples on Hispaniola as well as the importation of African Slaves to work the sugarcane plantations he introduced.

He was a great and brave explorer, but not a very good guy- although I don't think he deserves all the credit--- or blame---- for what the " new world" has become -- now I would argue on balance what has happened in the new world is a net plus for human kind,  but back to 'ole Chris, the natives he encountered were curious of him and kind and helpful to him, yet he had plotted to conquer and enslave them.  How long was it before he knew he wasn't actually in India, anyway? Surely he must have figured that out, but why did the name "Indians" stick for the natives for so long- even to this day to some extent?

Just now, Saticon3 said:

He was a great and brave explorer, but not a very good guy- although I don't think he deserves all the credit--- or blame---- for what the " new world" has become -- now I would argue on balance what has happened in the new world is a net plus for human kind,  but back to 'ole Chris, the natives he encountered were curious of him and kind and helpful to him, yet he had plotted to conquer and enslave them.  How long was it before he knew he wasn't actually in India, anyway? Surely he must have figured that out, but why did the name "Indians" stick for the natives for so long- even to this day to some extent?

A very bad guy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/aug/07/books.spain

31 minutes ago, jtowne-swim said:

While Isabella I and Ferdinand II of Spain sponsored his historic voyage, Columbus was a native of the City of Genoa, in present day Italy, and represents the rich history of important Italian American contributions to our great Nation. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/10/06/president-donald-j-trump-proclaims-october-9-2017-columbus-day

remarkable considering Italy and The US were not countries yet! Aside from which m his rainbow version of history.

Chris gonna find Ray Charles .......

Oh come on. We know what a history buff Trump is. Understand he just reads about history constantly.

All of those explorers were basically mobsters.

Happy Columbus Day...thank you for ushering in the New World.

may there be many more to come

Edited by boink

13 hours ago, karlydee2 said:

He was responsible for enabling the genocide of Tainos Indians on Hispaniola.

Leif Erickson established a colony on Newfoundland around 1000 AD or so.

The fate of the Taino and Carib tribes was terrible.  But it is strange how maligned Columbus has become considering his direct actions were not really evil.  White Europians were going to come exploring and exploiting.  It was just a matter of time.  The celebration of Columbus is really just the celebration of the birth of the nation.  Even if somewhat historically inaccurate.

Edited by Bawlmerian

14 hours ago, soulflower said:

Shameless pandering to Italian Americans

His base too.  You know they love a white guy enslaving the native people.

3 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

The fate of the Taino and Carib tribes was terrible.  But it is strange how maligned Columbus has become considering his direct actions were not really evil.  White Europians were going to come exploring and exploiting.  It was just a matter of time.  The celebration of Columbus is really just the celebration of the birth of the nation.  Even if somewhat historically inaccurate.

He had a man's ears and nose hacked off and sold into slavery for stealing some corn. And he congratulated his Brother for cutting out a woman's tongue and parading her naked after she said the Colon's were of low birth.

The Spanish Crown investigated how he ran his governorship, and he was jailed in Spain with his brother -- only the intervention of King Ferdinand himself freed and released him. 

4 hours ago, boink said:

Happy Columbus Day...thank you for ushering in the New World.

may there be many more to come

You realize he didn't usher in anything right?

3 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

It's not just "somewhat histroically inaccurate"... what we've been fed is almost entirely inaccurate

1 minute ago, boink said:

sigh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

Those voyages and his efforts to establish settlements on the island of Hispaniola initiated the permanent European colonization of the New World.

I kind of think that would have happened without him getting lost and then slaughtering every native population he came in contact with

Sigh indeed

Yep.... because both sides were responsible for giving diseases to the Indians.

4 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

If we are ever to come together as a multicultural nation, maybe it’s time we stopped celebrating White Supremacy over indigenous people of Color

I get the overall significance but it’s not something to be proud of

Likewise, you could argue that the Americas up to the 19th century wouldn’t have been as economically successful without slavery, which means slavery was a necessary evil. But no one celebrates that fact. 

5 minutes ago, karlydee2 said:

He had a man's ears and nose hacked off and sold into slavery for stealing some corn. And he congratulated his Brother for cutting out a woman's tongue and parading her naked after she said the Colon's were of low birth.

The Spanish Crown investigated how he ran his governorship, and he was jailed in Spain with his brother -- only the intervention of King Ferdinand himself freed and released him. 

Not sure how many ships or colonies you ran in the 15th century but it was not a job for the feint of heart. 

4 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

Columbus' desires and plans were to colonize and enslave the land--- I don't care what the context of the times were, it takes a cruel person to treat people who warmly greeted their arrival, and offered their help the way Columbus did. 

"The indigenous people he encountered, the Lucayan, Taíno, or Arawak, were peaceful and friendly. Noting their gold ear ornaments, Columbus took some of the Arawaks prisoner and insisted that they guide him to the source of the gold.[49] From the entry in his journal of 12 October 1492, in which he wrote of them: "Many of the men I have seen have scars on their bodies, and when I made signs to them to find out how this happened, they indicated that people from other nearby islands come to San Salvador to capture them; they defend themselves the best they can. I believe that people from the mainland come here to take them as slaves. They ought to make good and skilled servants, for they repeat very quickly whatever we say to them. I think they can very easily be made Christians, for they seem to have no religion. If it pleases our Lord, I will take six of them to Your Highnesses when I depart, in order that they may learn our language."[50] Columbus remarked that their lack of modern weaponry and metal-forged swords or pikes was a tactical vulnerability, writing, "I could conquer the whole of them with 50 men, and govern them as I pleased."[51]

Edited by Saticon3

15 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Columbus' desires and plans were to colonize and enslave the land--- I don't care what the context of the times were, it takes a cruel person to treat people who warmly greeted their arrival, and offered their help the way Columbus did. 

"The indigenous people he encountered, the Lucayan, Taíno, or Arawak, were peaceful and friendly. Noting their gold ear ornaments, Columbus took some of the Arawaks prisoner and insisted that they guide him to the source of the gold.[49] From the entry in his journal of 12 October 1492, in which he wrote of them: "Many of the men I have seen have scars on their bodies, and when I made signs to them to find out how this happened, they indicated that people from other nearby islands come to San Salvador to capture them; they defend themselves the best they can. I believe that people from the mainland come here to take them as slaves. They ought to make good and skilled servants, for they repeat very quickly whatever we say to them. I think they can very easily be made Christians, for they seem to have no religion. If it pleases our Lord, I will take six of them to Your Highnesses when I depart, in order that they may learn our language."[50] Columbus remarked that their lack of modern weaponry and metal-forged swords or pikes was a tactical vulnerability, writing, "I could conquer the whole of them with 50 men, and govern them as I pleased."[51]

Yeah.  Colonization is not pretty.

How long before we rename Columbia, SC, Columbus, OH, the country Colombia, and of course our nation's Capital, Washington, District of Columbia?

Should we keep a little of the non-PC vibe and rename DC: District of Redskin Nation?

Just now, Scaggsville said:

How long before we rename Columbia, SC, Columbus, OH, the country Colombia, and of course our nation's Capital, Washington, District of Columbia?

Should we keep a little of the non-PC vibe and rename DC: District of Redskin Nation?

Can you explain why there is a federal holiday for such a horrible human being?  Let's start with that before renaming anything.