Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RalR

Should GOOGLE Facebook Twitter be treated like a public utility

10 posts in this topic

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/10/10/report-google-facebook-twitter-scrambling-to-stop-regulation/

 

Google, Facebook, and Twitter are reportedly “scrambling” to stop regulation of their companies by the government, according to a report.

 

According to Bloomberg, “Google summoned about 200 policy staff from around the world last month for a debate on whether the company’s size has made it too attractive as a target for government regulators,” while “Twitter executives have been in frequent contact with Congressional committees,” and “Facebook has hired two crisis PR firms.”

The action comes after an increase in calls for the regulation of technology companies from both Democrats and Republicans, who argue Silicon Valley has become too powerful and monopolistic. Breitbart News Executive Chairman Steve Bannon called for regulation of social media companies earlier this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they should be regulated.

As social media titanic monopolies, the US Govt should oversee them very closely.  All three company owners and major stockholders are well known Democrat left-wing supporters who can easily control the flow of information to the masses.  Google promotes (or hides or buries) search results depending on the ideology.  Twitter restricts or even bans accounts that go against their leftist leanings (suspending the account of Colt Firearms for no reason, and the removal of an anti-abortion message by a Republican candidate just to name a few), and Facebook has already been shown to accept fake news and publish it to targeted voting blocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

infowars, briefart....seriously?  your tin foils hat is really off-kilter today....

given that these social media sites have very little clue about how they are exploited, the true remedy is to have any political ads vetted in the same manner as radio and tv messages....solves half the problem....putting a little patriotism ahead of profits would go along way.....they can accept or deny any information they want as a private entity, as it should be....except for when rwnjs who want to restrict speech on one side demand their false and inaccurate content be posted....typical trumpanzee attitude....

these services do not fall in to the category of utilities....I can live w/o social media....I can't live w/o water, gas or electricity.....

Edited by can you hear me now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bluto said:

Yes, they should be regulated.

As social media titanic monopolies, the US Govt should oversee them very closely.  All three company owners and major stockholders are well known Democrat left-wing supporters who can easily control the flow of information to the masses.  Google promotes (or hides or buries) search results depending on the ideology.  Twitter restricts or even bans accounts that go against their leftist leanings (suspending the account of Colt Firearms for no reason, and the removal of an anti-abortion message by a Republican candidate just to name a few), and Facebook has already been shown to accept fake news and publish it to targeted voting blocks.

:lol:

Pure comic gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

:lol:

Pure comic gold.

Not sure what you find funny. You don't think Twitter and Facebook are monopolies? Google could be debated because of other search engines in use, but come on, it's difficult to even justify that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bassman said:

Not sure what you find funny. You don't think Twitter and Facebook are monopolies? Google could be debated because of other search engines in use, but come on, it's difficult to even justify that one.

Mainly laughing when someone on the right wants to give big government power to regulate something.  And this line:

Quote

As social media titanic monopolies, the US Govt should oversee them very closely.  All three company owners and major stockholders are well known Democrat left-wing supporters who can easily control the flow of information to the masses. 

Plus the irony of Breitbart (who regularly deals in fake news) article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Mainly laughing when someone on the right wants to give big government power to regulate something.  And this line:

Plus the irony of Breitbart (who regularly deals in fake news) article.

It is funny how people fall for anything that INFOWARS or Breitbart throws out. But this thread is proof of the ignorant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bassman said:

Not sure what you find funny. You don't think Twitter and Facebook are monopolies? Google could be debated because of other search engines in use, but come on, it's difficult to even justify that one.

Of course they're not monopolies.  They are endless social media platforms, FB is the biggest by far, but there are lots others.  

The issue here is misuse, most obviously the Russian hacking.  And as another poster noted, vetting ads as traditional media is required to do is a good first step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do Any of that stuff and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I used to run several Real websites on the 'net in the late 90's to a bit past 2000. Started with Claris 2.0 then MS Front Page & FP2000 then finally graduating to Dreamweaver before I Quit it all. When I was in it having a Web Site was New & Fun. "Hey You're that Web Guy!" Then after a while no one cared anymore. I don't have a Facebook acct, don't Tweet and don't "Like" anything. Been There, Done That. Now I don't bother with any of it. Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0