Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
songfourone

Trump’s threat to NBC’s license is the very definition of Nixonian

93 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, hst2 said:

He'd do it if could, in heartbeat. He's made it clear he has no regard for democratic values and institutions. A classic totalitarian attitude. Petty, vindictive and insecure, he's a very sick man.

Trump speaks out of his butt all the time. He's an idiot. I just got back from 19 days in Europe and everywhere we went as soon as the locals (Brits, Germans, French, Swiss, even in Luxembourg) knew we were Americans the subject of Trump came up, and not one comment was even remotely positive about him. It was an embarrassment that my wife and I faced everywhere we went. But almost to a person the folks we spoke with didn't think that Trump was representative of Americans in general - but they wondered how he ever got elected. We had to try to explain the electoral college system more than once. Based on what we heard it would appear that the dominant view of everyday Europeans is that Trump is just crazy. My wife is fluent in French and on the French speaking TV news stations she said that they were constantly mocking him and laughing at his ridiculous statements. 

46 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Proof?  How could Obama have banned Fox News?

Likely the same way Trump can't ban NBC.

6 minutes ago, Papi said:

Trump speaks out of his butt all the time. He's an idiot. I just got back from 19 days in Europe and everywhere we went as soon as the locals (Brits, Germans, French, Swiss, even in Luxembourg) knew we were Americans the subject of Trump came up, and not one comment was even remotely positive about him. It was an embarrassment that my wife and I faced everywhere we went. But almost to a person the folks we spoke with didn't think that Trump was representative of Americans in general - but they wondered how he ever got elected. We had to try to explain the electoral college system more than once. Based on what we heard it would appear that the dominant view of everyday Europeans is that Trump is just crazy. My wife is fluent in French and on the French speaking TV news stations she said that they were constantly mocking him and laughing at his ridiculous statements. 

When it comes to stupid statements, Trump is king. He's the worst in recent memory. But when it come to pubbies , the press usually drives the "stupid" angle. Baby Bush was an idiot, Reagan was crazy. European press makes MSNBC look like RWNJs. France is where the term "the ugly American" was born. 

5 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

When it comes to stupid statements, Trump is king. He's the worst in recent memory. But when it come to pubbies , the press usually drives the "stupid" angle. Baby Bush was an idiot, Reagan was crazy. European press makes MSNBC look like RWNJs. France is where the term "the ugly American" was born. 

The term "ugly American" came about because it was deserved, based on the behavior of some Americans abroad in Europe. When my wife and I used to take adult groups on tours to Europe back in the 80's we saw it first hand. One woman in our group (a friend of my mother-in-law, unfortunately) got all belligerent with a German vendor who would not take her American dollars for a purchase from his store. He wanted German Marks (pre-Euro days) but she argued that "his" money wasn't "real" money - she was offering him "real" money with her dollars. That was ugly. 

Edited by Papi

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

That's the problem. Why didn't they just report the facts instead of adding stuff for effect? Mattis said the report was completely false. NBC uses a "source close to the administration ". Mattis signs his own name to make a public statement that the report was "totally false ". 

Iran and NK are obviously working to become a nuclear power. If NBC wants to report on how the administration is discussing how to deal with it, that's fine. Making up outlandish statements to drive an agenda, is tabloid journism. People need to look at the issues as objectively as possible. We can say Trump is an idiot, rude, ignorant whatever, as long as it doesn't interfere with our objectivity. The partisan dems are acting the same way partisan pubbies did when Obama was in office. It's hard to believe either side.

And the Ten Fold thing was their headline. Which is usually the main thrust of the "report".

They didn’t add the tenfold thing though. Here’s what you posted from their article:

“President Trump said he wanted what amounted to a nearly tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal in a meeting with military leaders this...”

That’s not a direct quote and it’s what the increase amounted to. I really don’t see the problem here.

2 minutes ago, Papi said:

The term "ugly American" came about because it was deserved, based on the behavior of some Americans abroad in Europe. When my wife and I used to take adult groups on tours to Europe back in the 80's we saw it first hand. One woman in our group (a friend of my mother-in-law, unfortunately) got all belligerent with a German vendor who would not take her American dollars for a purchase from his store. He wanted German Marks (pre-Euro days) but she argued that "his" money wasn't "real" money - she was offering him "real" money with her dollars. That was ugly. 

At least some of that goes back to WWII, when the some wag said of American GI's: "They're overpaid, oversexed, and over here."  

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

They didn’t add the tenfold thing though. Here’s what you posted from their article:

“President Trump said he wanted what amounted to a nearly tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal in a meeting with military leaders this...”

That’s not a direct quote and it’s what the increase amounted to. I really don’t see the problem here.

Apparently General Mattis had a problem with it. He said the report was absolutely false, and irresponsible . He didn't mince words whether NBC reported that Trump said wanted, called for or anything else . He said it was "absolutely false". Wouldn't that include the headline ?  

2 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

They twisted his words, and added the "ten fold " statement. "We've heard a statement , in line with, candidate, president elect" are NBCs words. That's why they have no credibility anymore. Notice they didn't try to defend the "ten fold" statement .They made it up and got caught. So it's between NBC  and Mattis as who to believe. You side with NBC, I'll go with Mattis.

Of course they didn't make it up. They got the information from 3 sources in the room.

Again, here's the lede

"WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said he wanted what amounted to a nearly tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal during a gathering this past summer of the nation’s highest-ranking national security leaders, according to three officials who were in the room."

12 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Apparently General Mattis had a problem with it. He said the report was absolutely false, and irresponsible . He didn't mince words whether NBC reported that Trump said wanted, called for or anything else . He said it was "absolutely false". Wouldn't that include the headline ?  

His words were:

“Recent reports that the president called for an increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal are absolutely false.”

I don’t think Trump ever called for an increase. I think he saw the chart and being Trump, thought ‘bigger and more is always better’, so he said let’s get back to that high number. There’s a difference between Trump not understanding US nuclear policy which led to him saying something in a meeting and Trump explicitly saying ‘we’re going to do this’. This is another case of playing semantics in an effort to make out like the media just sits around making stuff up. I 100% believe Trump saw the chart, wanted an increase, had it explained to him why that was not going to happen, and the meeting moved on.

2 hours ago, Papi said:

it goes back further than the 80s.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Here is a report of the specifics:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2017/10/now_we_know_why_rex_tillerson_called_donald_trump_a_moron.html?utm_content=inf_11_2641_2&wpsrc=socialedge&tse_id=INF_beb80970aec211e7952ec9abf6008d70

I don’t see how that conflicts with NBCs reporting. The Admin denies the tenfold thing which was obviously never said and merely used to convey roughly the jncrease Trump wanted. Trump’s acting like the whole thing is totally without merit and using it to bash the news. This serves his purpose of convincing people the media just sits around making up negative stories about him but is completely irresponsible.

If NBC made up the words "ten-fold" they totally changed the narrative.There is a great deal of difference between "He wants to improve our nuclear arsenal", which certainly sounds reasonable, and "He wants ten times the number of nukes we have now" which sounds nuts. 

Every time the press changes something he says from something that is reasonable to something that sounds nuts they are undermining their credibility when they report on some of the things he says that truly are nuts. Trying to push their agenda will backfire. 

Edited by Rael

16 hours ago, Manny said:

This is a dangerous idea, a threat to our liberties and a slippery slope. It sounds like you people as it pertains to Fox and Talk Radio.

Fox and Talk Radio are mostly FAKE news. That's because, when caught in a lie, they can just say they are expressing their opinion much like when Trump lies his supporters say he was just joking.

3 hours ago, Papi said:

Welcome home, Papi.  Hope you had a nice trip.  Some people will never believe your experiences in Europe concerning Trump. 

7 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Fox and Talk Radio are mostly FAKE news. That's because, when caught in a lie, they can just say they are expressing their opinion much like when Trump lies his supporters say he was just joking.

On the other hand, CNN, MSNBC anf NPR are all "Fake news," depending on how you slice and dice it.

Objective news died after the retirement of Walter Cronkite, period, and your political persuasion(s) be damned.  Gerardo Rivera was the beginning of a (regrettably) new type of "journalist", using the word very loosely. 

It's ALL fake/false/slanted news. You pays You money you takes you choice.

Or not.

Just now, blowboatbethesda said:

On the other hand, CNN, MSNBC anf NPR are all "Fake news," depending on how you slice and dice it.

Objective news died after the retirement of Walter Cronkite, period, and your political persuasion(s) be damned.  Gerardo Rivera was the beginning of a (regrettably) new type of "journalist", using the word very loosely. 

It's ALL fake/false/slanted news. You pays You money you takes you choice.

Or not.

MSNBC and CNN have a lot of editorial shows which I wouldn't call it news, but calling NPR fake news is just ridiculous. And interestingly enough Geraldo works for Fox News. I do agree that his type of "journalism" is not real journalism and more suitable for tabloids.

1 minute ago, songfourone said:

Interesting.

How do Trump supporters explain away videos and tweets of what he says?

Blanket denial, generally...

It works when the press goes along.

So sitting on Fox last night, talking with Hannity with Trumpets in the back ground cheering him on is not FAKE NEWS?

What a f******* moron.

1 hour ago, Rael said:

If NBC made up the words "ten-fold" they totally changed the narrative.There is a great deal of difference between "He wants to improve our nuclear arsenal", which certainly sounds reasonable, and "He wants ten times the number of nukes we have now" which sounds nuts. 

Every time the press changes something he says from something that is reasonable to something that sounds nuts they are undermining their credibility when they report on some of the things he says that truly are nuts. Trying to push their agenda will backfire. 

Tenfold was merely shorthand for the size of the increase he wanted. I don’t see how the narrative was changed from reasonable to nuts. The point of the story, the reason why Tillerson called him a moron, is clear.

4 hours ago, Papi said:

Interesting post.

Ref Donald Trump and the media...I wonder if he and his supporters value the first amendment any where near as much as the 2nd amendment. Is the freedom of press as precious as the freedom to own assault weapons, 100 round magazines or allowing nuts to buy weapons through the mail.

2 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

it goes back further than the 80s.

Yes, but it was still alive and well in the 80's, particularly among travelers above the age of 55 or so. In my opinion the relative "ugliness" of Americans traveling in Europe has diminished somewhat since then. I hope that trend continues. 

1 hour ago, mrsmlh said:

Welcome home, Papi.  Hope you had a nice trip.  Some people will never believe your experiences in Europe concerning Trump. 

Thanks! Good to be home!

It became a running joke between me and my wife. One person asked if we brought Trump with us and we told them he was stuffed in the trunk of our car. Got a good laugh! And one of the Germans referred to him as Donald Duck. :D

11 minutes ago, Papi said:

Thanks! Good to be home!

It became a running joke between me and my wife. One person asked if we brought Trump with us and we told them he was stuffed in the trunk of our car. Got a good laugh! And one of the Germans referred to him as Donald Duck. :D

Donald Duck :D

I was talking to my niece's husband the other day. He is a big Trump supporter and he was trying to claim that Europeans think Trump is doing a great job in America.  Would it be okay if I told him about your experiences?   He probably won't believe me but I would like to share them with him.

20 hours ago, Calamari said:

So the other day we had some folks spewing the bumper sticker line about the "second amendment <supposedly> protecting the first."

lets hear from them.

oh wait, no, because this exposes what an idiotic saying that is.

God. SMH.

The framers knew....after the experience with Britian that unless the populace could back up words with strong resistance. (guns)...that the freedoms being laid down ....could and would be taken away given the right governmental cirumstance.

I believe in that statement to the fullest.  I also believe that Trump is a first class nut bag that needs to be ejected ASAP.

So now you heard from me. Your move.

4 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

At least some of that goes back to WWII, when the some wag said of American GI's: "They're overpaid, oversexed, and over here."  

I am old enough to have had relatives that fought all over the place during WW2. Some England...all said essentially...it was a joke with a bit of truth to it....but a joke...but my uncles said that every Englander would give you their last crust of bread or the shirt off their back....they were so happy that America was in the fight.