Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Why are we still shocked that men in power abuse women when Donald Trump is the President?

56 posts in this topic

But perhaps the most deeply depressing facet of Weinstein’s behaviour is that it isn’t shocking. We’ve heard this stuff before. A recorded conversation in which Weinstein allegedly discusses having groped actor Ambra Battilana Gutierrez reminds us of the well-publicised recording of Donald Trump bragging about grabbing women by the *****.

...But I’ve heard this same narrative too many times now, and this theory’s starting to waver as I think about the relationship between sexual abuse and the capitalist success formula peddled out in so many platitudes. “He’s a real leader. Always gets his way. Won’t take no for an answer. Could argue that day is night.” 

These qualities, qualities of pushiness, selfishness, deceptiveness, are not just excused in men – they are unashamedly valued. A woman who wants to get her way and plays fast and loose with the truth is a lying *****. But a man who pushes his own agenda and knows how to manipulate a situation, well, they’ll say he’s “one to watch”. 

Link

The presidential election was essentially a referendum on this. No wonder Weinstein felt safe.

Of course philandering/womanizing presidents have been a "referendum" for years.

Take a look.

Whole lotta (D) going on.

There's a bi difference between conservatives and liberals regarding this sort of thing.

Conservatives, for the most part keep their blinds closed.

Liberals should. 

Edited by blowboatbethesda

6 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Of course philandering/womanizing presidents have been a "referendum" for years.

Take a look.

Whole lotta (D) going on.

There's a bi difference between conservatives and liberals regarding this sort of thing.

Conservatives, for the most part keep their blinds closed.

Liberals should. 

Womanizing and sexual assaults are not the same thing.

Are you referring to the pro-life congressman who pressured his mistress to have an abortion? Yeah, thank goodness for those blinds.

Edited by hst2

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

Womanizing and sexual assaults are not the same thing.

That depends on the victims perspective. 

I suspect that Bill Cosby's and Weinstein's victims would disagree with you.

6 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

I suspect they know the difference. Do you?

29 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Link

The presidential election was essentially a referendum on this. No wonder Weinstein felt safe.

Questions for you. 

1- How long has Weinstein behaved in this manner?

2- How long has Trump been President? 

4 minutes ago, hst2 said:

I suspect they know the difference. Do you?

I've not been assaulted by those creeps. Ask their victims. Ask Mary Jo Kopechne, come to think of it.. . 

LOL HST.

You've out done yourself this time!

Bravo,I really mean that.

Well played sir👏

Edited by mcorioles

Trump's a piker compared to Weinstein in the harrass women dept.-- s/a T kennedy & Clinton--  Weinstien felt safe because he donated scads of  money to demlibs-- until now a get out of jail free card- he has a 50-50 shot of recovering if he follows the playbook like Spitzer did

Edited by Saticon3

I think this may be a new record.  This thread went down the crapper before the OP ended his post and has been flushed 5 or 6 times since.

Good job👍.

This doesn't have anything to do with Trump.  Now, if you want to talk about our society in general where abuse of women doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves then I'm with you.

2 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

This doesn't have anything to do with Trump.  Now, if you want to talk about our society in general where abuse of women doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves then I'm with you.

That's the most astute thing I've seen you post in quite some time.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, blowboatbethesda said:

It's like harvey was channeling his inner "wild bill" and now he's got a bona fide "bimbo eruption".

Harvey needs an enabler-someone to label the victims "***** and nuts". Bill had hil-who does harvey have? 

4 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

It's like harvey was channeling his inner "wild bill" and now he's got a bona fide "bimbo eruption".

Harvey needs an enabler-someone to label the victims "***** and nuts". Bill had hil-who does harvey have

His wife officially left him yesterday. The answers are rapidly becoming slim and none...

And Slim's out of town. :D

It's difficult to ignore the Trump and Clinton comparison in the article, but you guys are doing a pretty good job of it.

7 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

Trump's a piker compared to Weinstein in the harrass women dept.-- s/a T kennedy & Clinton--  Weinstien felt safe because he donated scads of  money to demlibs-- until now a get out of jail free card- he has a 50-50 shot of recovering if he follows the playbook like Spitzer did

How can Weinstein not feel safe when the country elects for its president someone who bragged about doing the same thing?

You fellows are practically throwing your backs out by reach back in history when the reward for such criminal behavior is right in front of your face in our current president.

8 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

I've not been assaulted by those creeps. Ask their victims. Ask Mary Jo Kopechne, come to think of it.. . 

So you do not know the difference. That's pretty pathetic, blow. 

I see you have failed to answer the questions I posed, as it would destroy your argument. 

16 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

I see you have failed to answer the questions I posed, as it would destroy your argument. 

I know, you don't know me, however it's safe to say they won't/cant answer your questions because they have no rational argument, only deflection and half-baked excuses.

15 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

It avoids my argument. The nation just elect president a man who bragged about sexually assaulting women. At least a dozen women came out and accused him during the campaign. Enough voters didn't see that it mattered.

And the part about comparing such a man "who gets what he wants" to a woman who acts the same way is spot on. The election proved it. Our society more values a man who sexually abuses women to women themselves. The last election proved that.

Just now, blowboatbethesda said:

I know, you don't know me, however it's safe to say they won't/cant answer your questions because they have no rational argument, only deflection and half-baked excuses.

Or even address the topic. Wrong poster, btw.

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

It avoids my argument. The nation just elect president a man who bragged about sexually assaulting women. At least a dozen women came out and accused him during the campaign. Enough voters didn't see that it mattered.

And the part about comparing such a man "who gets what he wants" to a woman who acts the same way is spot on. The election proved it. Our society more values a man who sexually abuses women to women themselves. The last election proved that.

There is no argument, only your ongoing deflection, the thread and the issue is that a Democratic Party kingmaker funded and bundled the election campaigns of not one, but two Democratic Party Presidential candidates, to the tune of millions of dollars, one was elected for two terms, one tried and (failed-thank God) while at the same time using his Hollywood and Washington influence to assault/rape and/or abuse women. period. He's caught, busted, his wife, Hollywood and his party have dumped him, yet two of the largest beneficiaries of his direct and bundling largess took at least five days to "develop" a (what turned out to be) a half-baked apologetic response.

Your failed hypocrisy laden white guilt, left wing, feminist chimera is busted dude. Own it. 

11 hours ago, hst2 said:

Link

Weinstein seems to have been doing his thing for many years before Trump was on the scene. Actually, given the media reporting about the way Trump has treated the female gender negatively it appears that the reporting of and now prosecution of sexual misconduct by men in power is actually on the rise. The Trump election seems to have heightened the awareness of the problem and covering it up is now not as "acceptable" as it has been in the past. In kind of a strange way Trump being the chauvinist pig that he is has actually opened the door to women who have been abused by other men in powerful positions coming forward and actually having a positive impact. 

11 hours ago, hst2 said:

Link

Funny.  I guess he felt safe abusing women during Obama, Bush and Clintons  8 year runs since that where a he did most of his damage to women.

And go figure he gets busted during Trumps run after avoiding an arrest during Obama's in 2015.

"A recorded conversation in which Weinstein allegedly discusses having groped actor Ambra Battilana Gutierrez"

This recording was creepy...you read about how the women were manipulated, but to hear it is another.

Edited by ODENTON

12 hours ago, hst2 said:

Your argument is that Weinstein "felt safe" due to Trump's election, which would lead on to believe that he did not feel safe during his years of abuse. Where is your proof of that? 

You cannot claim one without proving the other. Well, I guess you can. But as you can see, no one who has replied agrees with your premise, which is fallacious.