Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ms maggie

Puerto Rico, looking grim

115 posts in this topic

People dying of bacterial diseases from lack of meds. Clean water and power still scarce 3 weeks post hurricane.

And this:

"Matching resources with needs remains a problem. The Puerto Rico Department of Health has sent just 82 patients to the Comfort over the past six days, even though the ship can serve 250. The Comfort’s 800 medical personnel were treating just seven patients on Monday."

What the hell? While people can't get dialysis? Communications must still be nearly nil.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/us/puerto-rico-power-hospitals.amp.html

Media needs to get on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between this and their ongoing debt/economic and population decline problems, I wonder if they'll ever really recover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the problem is getting people to and from the ship. The ports are pretty well trashed. I've been on the Comfort  and you just don't drive a ship like that onto the beach. (it was once a freighter).  The ship does have a helicopter for transport. 

The linked article mentions the hospital ship  as follows.

Quote

A hospital in Humacao had to evacuate 29 patients last Wednesday — including seven in the intensive care unit and a few on the operating table — to an American military medical ship off the coast of Puerto Rico when a generator broke down.

and: 

Quote

 and the Comfort, a medical treatment ship, is on the scene.

Not to mention:

Quote

Matching resources with needs remains a problem. The Puerto Rico Department of Health has sent just 82 patients to the Comfort over the past six days, even though the ship can serve 250. The Comfort’s 800 medical personnel were treating just seven patients on Monday.

Come on Mags, place the blame where it belongs, on  the PRDH, the Navy, or

GASP!

Do have some sort of agenda?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, songfourone said:

 

 

Well, at least some still believe Trump has it under control.

Given all the control and power you credit that man with, you must consider Him to be some sort of God.:wub:

At least you're acting like it. :wub:

LOL!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lombardi6 said:

Again, nobody is buying it. 

Well, a handful here are. Should i make a list for ya?  :):P:D

(just kidding)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, songfourone said:

 

Trump's Katrina.

Just exactly what more do you want the president to do?  From the pictures, there are few open roads, little electricity, and little communication. 

Lots of resources there.  Just hard to get to the people.  Of course, the comfort is there.  Seemingly not needed as it only has a few patients.  There were already several ships there with med facilities. 

Should our entire military go to PR and go door to door?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Just exactly what more do you want the president to do?  From the pictures, there are few open roads, little electricity, and little communication. 

Lots of resources there.  Just hard to get to the people.  Of course, the comfort is there.  Seemingly not needed as it only has a few patients.  There were already several ships there with med facilities. 

Should our entire military go to PR and go door to door?

Keeping the Jones Act suspended and maybe suspending it a litttle quicker.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, overtaxed said:

Just exactly what more do you want the president to do?  From the pictures, there are few open roads, little electricity, and little communication. 

Lots of resources there.  Just hard to get to the people.  Of course, the comfort is there.  Seemingly not needed as it only has a few patients.  There were already several ships there with med facilities. 

Should our entire military go to PR and go door to door?

Seems like a better investment than endless destroying/rebuilding of Afghanistan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Seems like a better investment than endless destroying/rebuilding of Afghanistan.

Talk about a non-sequitur. Different missions, different goals. Apples and oranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Talk about a non-sequitur. Different missions, different goals. Apples and oranges.

Ok.  It nice to see that we're getting good returns on trillions in military spending.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump is already giving up on Puerto Rico’s recovery 

 

Edited by soulflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Part of the problem is getting people to and from the ship. The ports are pretty well trashed. I've been on the Comfort  and you just don't drive a ship like that onto the beach. (it was once a freighter).  The ship does have a helicopter for transport. 

The linked article mentions the hospital ship  as follows.

and: 

Not to mention:

Come on Mags, place the blame where it belongs, on  the PRDH, the Navy, or

GASP!

Do have some sort of agenda?

 

My name is not Mags and please don't assume you can address me so casually.

Second, show me where I "placed blame".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Just exactly what more do you want the president to do?  From the pictures, there are few open roads, little electricity, and little communication. 

Lots of resources there.  Just hard to get to the people.  Of course, the comfort is there.  Seemingly not needed as it only has a few patients.  There were already several ships there with med facilities. 

Should our entire military go to PR and go door to door?

Comfort not needed?

Read the bloody article before posting such stupid remarks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

My name is not Mags and please don't assume you can address me so casually.

LOL.  Get over yourself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Was anyone talking to you? As usual, no.

Meow!!  Hey, just so you know.  This is a public discussion board.  MM-K?   :D:D  But thanks for making my day.  Can't stop laughing

Edited by Bawlmerian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lombardi6 said:

Again, nobody is buying it. 

President Donald Trump slammed Puerto Rico Thursday, claiming that its critical infrastructure was a "disaster" before it was hit by two hurricanes and he threatened to pull out emergency management workers from the storm-ravaged island. 

"Puerto Rico survived the Hurricanes, now a financial crisis looms largely of their own making." says Sharyl Attkisson. A total lack of........accountability say the Governor. Electric and all infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes," Trump wrote in a series of tweets early Thursday. (It wasn't clear why Trump referenced Attkisson, a conservative journalist who has repeatedly defended him.) 

"Congress to decide how much to spend.......We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!" Trump wrote in another Tweet.

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-attacks-puerto-rico-threatens-pull-emergency-responders-n810036

 

Trump is a f****** moron, and a sophomoric vindictive one at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Ok.  It nice to see that we're getting good returns on trillions in military spending.  :rolleyes:

We can afford to deploy our troops endlessly to Iraq and Afghanistan over a decade and a half to provide security, train the local yokels, and build infrastructure (roads, schools, power, water, sewage, communications, etc), but Puerto Rico is an unaffordable problem that is breaking the bank and killing resources.

But hey, let's deploy some more troops to Afghanistan where there is no mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, songfourone said:

President Donald Trump slammed Puerto Rico Thursday, claiming that its critical infrastructure was a "disaster" before it was hit by two hurricanes and he threatened to pull out emergency management workers from the storm-ravaged island. 

"Puerto Rico survived the Hurricanes, now a financial crisis looms largely of their own making." says Sharyl Attkisson. A total lack of........accountability say the Governor. Electric and all infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes," Trump wrote in a series of tweets early Thursday. (It wasn't clear why Trump referenced Attkisson, a conservative journalist who has repeatedly defended him.) 

"Congress to decide how much to spend.......We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!" Trump wrote in another Tweet.

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-attacks-puerto-rico-threatens-pull-emergency-responders-n810036

 

Trump is a f****** moron, and a sophomoric vindictive one at that.

Trump has one concern: doesn't want any responsibility for this.

**** him. Congress needs to actually earn their pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ms maggie said:

"Matching resources with needs remains a problem. The Puerto Rico Department of Health has sent just 82 patients to the Comfort over the past six days, even though the ship can serve 250. The Comfort’s 800 medical personnel were treating just seven patients on Monday."

Your quote states the comfort has only treated 82 patients total, with only seven on board Monday.  So what part of my "stupid remark" is so stupid? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0