Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

At 278, Baltimore has more homicides so far this year than New York and more per-capita than Chicago

30 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-homicide-count-20171011-story.html#nt=oft06a-2la1

Baltimore is on pace for its deadliest year on record, on a per-capita basis and in total homicides. 

…This year is on pace to push 2015 and 2016 to second- and third-deadliest on a per capita basis, respectively, and to surpass the city’s record homicide total of 353 in 1993, when there were about 100,000 more residents in the city.

Baltimore has more homicides per-capita than Chicago. It also has more total homicides this year than New York City.

Homicides were up 16 percent over last year as of Oct. 7, according to city data. Through the same date, there had also been 547 survivors of gunshots in Baltimore this year, an increase of 4 percent over last year.

Robberies — 4,580 through Oct. 7 — are up 13 percent over last year. Carjackings, which account for 421 of those incidents, are up 44 percent.

Aggravated assaults — 4,519 — are up 15 percent. Burglaries — 6,029 — are up 10 percent.

Wonder what NYC is doing that might work in Baltimore.  I'm not sure but it sure seems like crime is going up in the surrounding counties too, especially here in Baltimore County. 

5 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

Pricing the riffraff out...

Pretty much. It costs and arm and a leg to rent a closet there. 

I think we reached a threshold here....a sad one.....the slaughter that is going on in BC ....is now a 'ohhhh....yawn....ho hum'.

Only 3 posters? Yikes

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I think we reached a threshold here....a sad one.....the slaughter that is going on in BC ....is now a 'ohhhh....yawn....ho hum'.

Only 3 posters? Yikes

What's your plan?Other than castigating people not posting on a message board?

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Plan for what?

I am not castigating anyone. I was just simply commenting in a simple way was that over 84 people had viewed this OP and only 3 had responded. And I find that strange that since this is a real 'hot button' topic, which everyone has something to say  about.....and aren't.

Guess I should have been more detailed. But I figured my brief statement would be enough.

What else is there to say that hasn't already been said?

10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

What else is there to say that hasn't already been said?

Ohhhh your talking about a comment on my part that hasn't been said before.

To answer the question, There is nothing else to say that hasn't been said. It is what it is....

Maybe by 1/2018 the consent decree will be fully in place and comment will be worthwhile....either way....hopefully is will the good way....like......gee it worked.

Edited by Guido2

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, Guido2 said:

Only 3 posters? Yikes

IMO most people consider the crime situation in Baltimore, for the most part,  to be a 'criminal on criminal' acts of violence and simply don't care.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, bmore_ken said:

On Pandora I have "Get Together" played on the hour and I take a knee.

Edited by workerbee

Yup that worked. :huh:

Now those that were wearing the hippy stuff and peace an love ....well they became.....BUSINESSMEN AND WOMEN.

They figured out that head shops and selling hand made tie dyed stuff wasn't meeting the bills.

:lol:

But you vid was nice though.

We can dream can't we?

12 minutes ago, workerbee said:

We can dream can't we?

Definitely. Don't mis-understand me the thinking IS correct. However, there is a very powerful ...me first...it's mine...screw you...attitude that still pervades. See Trump for a snapshot. :lol:

I may come across (to some) as mean nasty conservative....nothing further from the truth.

But if something looks like a duck....etc. I will call it out. BOTH SIDES.

Is this where I say 'Peace'. ;):D

Edited by Guido2

On 10/12/2017 at 11:42 PM, bmore_ken said:

There is a tried and true plan that worked nationwide for over 20 years, resulting in continual lowering of the violent crime rate until, ....... well about until  so many people started complaining about mass incarceration and breaking up families by putting men in jail and all that liberal refrain-- and before the police were the ones seen as the bad guys,  like stop putting low level drug offenders in jail, never mind that they might be very violent guys, just that the only charges the government could make stick were drug violations as for many of them we don't need civilians to snitch-opps I mean be witnesses - police can often make those cases without civilian witnesses-    the plan was to put habitual offenders away for a long long time, it was done and resulted in historic plummeting crime rates, now, admittedly, its not an ideal long term solution, it would be far better to learn how to really rehabilitate the bad guys and/or prevent them from becoming bad guys in the first place, but, hey   we could at least lock up the ones we know are doing and will do the violent crime-- its really a quite small fraction of the population that does the crime- and that would keep law abiding citizens a whole lot safer, but-- we can't oppress people and have police actually policing now, and we can't just throw people in jail,  its just no longer the in thing to do.

Edited by Saticon3

On 10/12/2017 at 11:24 AM, Marshan Man said:

Pricing the riffraff out...

Thought they had price control on rentals .....

Homicide count up to 282 as of this morning. 

1 hour ago, Papi said:

Homicide count up to 282 as of this morning. 

Yawn.....call me when there is one that isn't a thug on thug. Then I'll care.

Of the 282....how many are not thugs? Two? Three? And except for the women and her son's bike issue. The others we due to poor marksmanship. AKA collateral damage.

But don't worry.....as pointed out in the article on another thread...... about the women stabbing her.....ahhhh husband....with 9 kids. The assembly line for baby thugs is in full swing so there will be no void.

Professor Vatz of Towson had an interesting Op-ed recently....you may want to read it....and to prime the pump.... a quote..............

On the first day of one of my classes several years ago, when students introduce themselves, one said that she was a single mother. The entire class (it seemed) applauded loudly. My reflex was to ask the class why they all clapped, but I didn’t want to make the student uncomfortable. I am part of the problem. All of us are.

There needs to be a full throttle rhetorical and economic effort to disincentivize broken families. Mayors and other political and social leaders, as well as clergy, need to loudly reject a culture wherein having children outside of marriage is acceptable.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/readersrespond/bs-ed-op-0726-fatherlessness-violence-20170724-story.html

Edited by Guido2

13 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Yawn.....call me when there is one that isn't a thug on thug. Then I'll care.

Of the 282....how many are not thugs? Two? Three? And except for the women and her son's bike issue. The others we due to poor marksmanship. AKA collateral damage.

But don't worry.....as pointed out in the article on another thread...... about the women stabbing her.....ahhhh husband....with 9 kids. The assembly line for baby thugs is in full swing so there will be no void.

Professor Vatz of Towson had an interesting Op-ed recently....you may want to read it....and to prime the pump.... a quote..............

On the first day of one of my classes several years ago, when students introduce themselves, one said that she was a single mother. The entire class (it seemed) applauded loudly. My reflex was to ask the class why they all clapped, but I didn’t want to make the student uncomfortable. I am part of the problem. All of us are.

There needs to be a full throttle rhetorical and economic effort to disincentivize broken families. Mayors and other political and social leaders, as well as clergy, need to loudly reject a culture wherein having children outside of marriage is acceptable.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/readersrespond/bs-ed-op-0726-fatherlessness-violence-20170724-story.html

Democrats will never be openly critical of such a culture. In fact, they seem to encourage it because it adds to their base of power. 

Baltimore is a perfect example of a government that is purely Democrat without any interference by Republicans. 

Criticizing that kind of lifestyle touches a nerve for so many who have it in their own lives and family.  It's that engrained and it's not going to change now.  That train left the station too long ago.  

2 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Democrats will never be openly critical of such a culture. In fact, they seem to encourage it because it adds to their base of power. 

Baltimore is a perfect example of a government that is purely Democrat without any interference by Republicans. 

Criticizing that kind of lifestyle touches a nerve for so many who have it in their own lives and family.  It's that engrained and it's not going to change now.  That train left the station too long ago.  

Amen

On 10/15/2017 at 3:22 PM, bmore_ken said:

I'm aware of the crazy prices, I was being sarcastic . ....

Government Price controls and price stabilization programs have been so successful that they even made seinfeld episodes .....

https://www.nakedapartments.com/guides/nyc/renting-in-new-york-city/rent-regulation

15 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I'm aware of the crazy prices, I was being sarcastic . ....

Government Price controls and price stabilization programs have been so successful that they even made seinfeld episodes .....

https://www.nakedapartments.com/guides/nyc/renting-in-new-york-city/rent-regulation

Yup.... I remember that one.

Wonderful series...about nothing....as he said.

However, I will add what little I know about rent control...and correct me if I am wrong .....the controls are only in place for as long as the renter is still renting. So if someone moves out ... there is a reset so to speak....and the rentor can up the price....then it is locked in by the controls.

I will admit my knowledge is based on 30 years or so ago when I had renter friends in NYC. Now? I will admit ignorance.

But to me....no matter how you slice and dice it. For what it cost to rent a decent place in any city....well I would rather pay for a small cottage to own....an likely do it more cheaply.

But to each their own.

Edited by Guido2

Violence and murder will forever be the legacy of Mrs. and Mr. Marilyn Mosby, Talmadge Branch, Jack Young, Brandon Scott, etc..

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:53 AM, Guido2 said:

There needs to be a full throttle rhetorical and economic effort to disincentivize broken families

Eliminate welfare except for those totally and permanently disabled.

And continue to support the inner city mantra--'One a day for Freddie Gray'!