Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duke of Earl

The Passing of General Robert E. Lee

68 posts in this topic

A few of his  monuments may be gone due to the tyranny of the age in which we  live  ,  but his spirit lives on  in  the hearts of  the descendants of  men in his army that wore the gray.  .

On this day in 1870, America lost one of her greatest sons, Robert E. Lee. U.S.

Senator Benjamin H. Hill, of Georgia gave this tribute to him:

When the future historian comes to survey the character of Lee, he will find it rising like a huge mountain above the undulating plain of humanity, and he will have to lift his eyes high toward heaven to catch the summit. He possessed every virtue of the other great commanders without their vices. He was a foe without hate, a friend without treachery, a private citizen without wrong, a neighbor without reproach, a Christian without hypocrisy, and a man without guilt. He was Caesar without his ambition, Frederick without his tyranny, Napoleon without his selfishness, and Washington without his reward. He was obedient to authority as a servant, and royal in authority as a true king. He was gentle as a woman in life, pure and modest as a virgin in thought, watchful as a Roman vestal in duty, submissive to law as Socrates, and grand in battle as Achilles.

Save for the fact that Lincoln felt pardons were necessary to heal the country, Lee would have died at the end of a rope. Which is no less than he deserved for betraying his country.

19 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

A few of his  monuments may be gone due to the tyranny of the age in which we  live  ,  but his spirit lives on  in  the hearts of  the descendants of  men in his army that wore the gray.  .

When the future historian comes to survey the character of Lee, he will find it rising like a huge mountain above the undulating plain of humanity, and he will have to lift his eyes high toward heaven to catch the summit. He possessed every virtue of the other great commanders without their vices. He was a foe without hate, a friend without treachery, a private citizen without wrong, a neighbor without reproach, a Christian without hypocrisy, and a man without guilt. He was Caesar without his ambition, Frederick without his tyranny, Napoleon without his selfishness, and Washington without his reward. He was obedient to authority as a servant, and royal in authority as a true king. He was gentle as a woman in life, pure and modest as a virgin in thought, watchful as a Roman vestal in duty, submissive to law as Socrates, and grand in battle as Achilles.

You forgot this part:  He was the loser of the most important conflict of his life. 

20 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

So why wasn't he canonised as St. Robert then ...?

3 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Save for the fact that Lincoln felt pardons were necessary to heal the country, Lee would have died at the end of a rope. Which is no less than he deserved for betraying his country.

You can't betray a country of which you are no longer a citizen . 

28 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

A testament to the power of myth making.

6 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

You can't betray a country of which you are no longer a citizen . 

He died a citizen of what country?

13 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

You forgot this part:  He was the loser of the most important conflict of his life. 

I will never understand the worship of an entity and its players that accomplished nothing (other than a lot of death and racism) and barely existed 5 years.

Like the passing of a kidney stone.

Just like how the best thing the confederate scum left were their gravestones, it cheers me to think that such a wretch as lee died today. A toast to dead traitors!

7 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I will never understand the worship of an entity and its players that accomplished nothing (other than a lot of death and racism) and barely existed 5 years.

Why do find that so hard to believe. I mean look at the Trumpheads and Trump.

Except we are living it.

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Why do find that so hard to believe. I mean look at the Trumpheads and Trump.

Except we are living it.

But that's in the present.  I can't imagine legions of Trumpists 150 years from now.

34 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Do you believe if a US citizen renounces their citizenship and becomes a citizen of another country that they betrayed the US?

3 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

But that's in the present.  I can't imagine legions of Trumpists 150 years from now.

I assume you are comparing neo's and skin heads and such.

I don't think that 150 years ago....people thought there would be legions (as you put it) of skin head/neos/etc either.

BTW a legion is about 3000 people give or take.

4 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Do you believe if a US citizen renounces their citizenship and becomes a citizen of another country that they betrayed the US?

Well here you go....this is sort of a 'the intent of the law vs the letter of the law'.

On paper if one renounces his citizenship then how can they be betraying the former country....that is the 'letter of'. Now the intent....or in this case the 'feeling' is that he did.

Two different things.

Yes!!!!! A civil war thread. It's been a minute. Popcorn time. :lol:

23 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

If they renounce their US citizenship and then actively engage in war with the US, then yes.

9 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

If they renounce their US citizenship and then actively engage in war with the US, then yes.

What if they had no plans to engage in a war with the US but their new country was invaded by the US so they fought against that invasion?

Edited by Smokey 1

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Lee was not a bad man. 

Now that is worth celebrating. Instead of building statues to this POS we should be celebrating their death and the fact that traitors like then are dead.

The South shall never rise again.

27 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Now that is worth celebrating. Instead of building statues to this POS we should be celebrating their death and the fact that traitors like then are dead.

The South shall never rise again.

Three hundred thousand Yankees is stiff in Southern dust!
We got three hundred thousand before they conquered us.
They died of Southern fever and Southern steel and shot,
I wish they was three million instead of what we got.

1 hour ago, Smokey 1 said:

No. However, if you renounce your citizenship and then try to take land that belongs to your former country, you're a traitor. Lee did that. In addition to the fact that he was a terrible human being. You can celebrate his life and mourn his death. Just don't expect a lot of sympathy from the folks who don't support slavery, the core ethos of the Confederacy.

Edited by Evil Yoda

49 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

Lee was not a bad man. 

He was a white supremacist. At that time, that view wasn't uncommon, so I hold him in higher regard than I do modern white supremacists, such as many of those who support the Confederacy now. And he was a traitor.

Yeah, he was a bad man.

I have great difficulty understanding people who openly celebrate the treason committed by the Confederates. Were I making the decisions, there would be no statues and unmarked graves. They'd appear in history textbooks because their betrayal was part of the country's history. But that's the only place.

Edited by Evil Yoda

Despite my better inclinations, i'm wondering if anyone living in 2017 ever considered the ":national character" of the 1860's United States.

My point is that even though there was (and is) a Union, Most citizens, (North and South) didn't really consider themselves "Americans," but called themselves "Pennsylvanians,  Marylander's, Virginians,  Georgians, et al. Remember, there was no telephone or internet, rail travel was the peak of technology and the telegraph was just getting started. Communication was limited and it took about a day to travel between D,C. and Baltimore, provided you had one or two fast horses.

In those days the "United States" was, compared to today a relatively loose coalition of regions with defined geographic borders, the Federal Government being the cohesive force for National Defense, international diplomacy and the like.

I'm not trying to start another Gettysburg or Manassas, but perhaps  if we tried to focus a little more on whatt the country was then  rather that what we would rather it be  in a rewritten now may help soothe these tired old festering wounds.

Just sayin'. :)

Edited by blowboatbethesda