Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

Puerto Rico Was a Disaster BEFORE the Hurricane

195 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Rael said:

Why, you are the one who said it? ;)

Ok, the discussion of cutting down aid isn't helping matters. His refusal to extend the Jones exception is definitely not helping matters. 

So basically he hasn't done anything detrimental to the relief effort.

6 minutes ago, Rael said:

Perhaps the only thing that can save this country is the inverse of Star Trek's Pattern of Force episode. 

Given the seemingly hopeless divisiveness  of the country (probably the worst i can recall since Vietnam) may i suggest another Star Trek (TNG)  episode? :)

Think about it. :)

Edited by blowboatbethesda

Just now, Rael said:

Don't play dumb. 

Im not

Trump donated a million didnt he?

Surely someone of Obamas stature could bring more attention to the relief effort,right?

1 minute ago, Rael said:

Don't play dumb. 

Well, not too many people know this, but...Hurricane Maria actually happened when Obama was the POTUS. ;)

Just now, mcorioles said:

So basically he hasn't done anything detrimental to the relief effort.

That is not logical. If I lived next door to you and I see you in your house trapped while your house is on fire and I smile, wave, and smirk at you while you burn I haven't done anything detrimental to your relief effort either. I would still be morally culpable. 

Just now, Rael said:

That is not logical. If I lived next door to you and I see you in your house trapped while your house is on fire and I smile, wave, and smirk at you while you burn I haven't done anything detrimental to your relief effort either. I would still be morally culpable. 

Really?

So now he's doing nothing?

I suggest you and others look at the facts.

Really?

So now he's doing nothing?

I suggest you and others look at the facts.

He is suggesting that he will cut off aid. He has refused to extend the Jones exception. These are things that hurt the relief effort. Do you think they are helpful?

Just now, Bawlmerian said:

I was just there.  Landed in San Juan.  Drove to Rincon, Boquerón, Ft. Buchanon, El Yunque, and back to San Juan.  It was fine. 

OK, so all!the links are lies and conspiracies 

Jesus.

OK, so all!the links are lies and conspiracies 

Jesus.

Yes, I do some business there.  Compared to most other islands it was just fine.

3 minutes ago, Rael said:

He is suggesting that he will cut off aid. He has refused to extend the Jones exception. These are things that hurt the relief effort. Do you think they are helpful?

Like I said so he hasn't done anything detrimental 

Try this .....what is actually BEING done.

1 minute ago, Bawlmerian said:

Yes, I do some business there.  Compared to most other islands it was just fine.

So everyone else is lying.

Got it

Like I said so he hasn't done anything detrimental 

Try this .....what is actually BEING done.

Of course things are being done. Do you think he is doing too much? Do you think the Jones decision was a good one? Do you think that due to their poor governance they should be allowed to descend into the "Lord of the Flies" scenario?

2 minutes ago, Rael said:

Of course things are being done. Do you think he is doing too much? Do you think the Jones decision was a good one? Do you think that due to their poor governance they should be allowed to descend into the "Lord of the Flies" scenario?

Is any of that happening

No disrespect intended to anyone here. almost 50 years ago we could catch a hop on a military cargo plane from NAS Jax to PR, no charge and back, if you didn't mind sitting on top of a box of airplane parts. 

I'll tell ya, nice beaches, mostly friendly people, the usual tourist/sailor traps, but thinking back on it, there were areas not unlike Baltimore's Inner Harbor, and with a long walk or a short cab ride you could end up in Penn North.  

But anyway, I hope that Flyboy and his family are well and safe. :)

2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Is any of that happening

Can you try to answer the questions. Preferably one by one.

Do you think Trump is doing too much?

Do you think not extending the Jones waiver was a good idea and helpful?

Do you think there is a moral imperative to do as much as possible? 

Edited by Rael

1 minute ago, blowboatbethesda said:

No disrespect intended to anyone here. almost 50 years ago we could catch a hop on a military cargo plane from NAS Jax to PR, no charge and back, if you didn't mind sitting on top of a box of airplane parts. 

I'll tell ya, nice beaches, mostly friendly people, the usual tourist/sailor traps, but thinking back on it, there were areas not unlike Baltimore's Inner Harbor, and with a long walk or a short cab ride you could end up in Penn North.  

But anyway, I hope that Flyboy and his family are well and safe. :)

If it was so great, why all the debt & corruption .??

Same as here.

Just now, stevez51 said:

Same as here.

I didn't intend to say it was so great, steve,  just comparing it to our local cesspool. A lot warmer with palmtrees and Habla Espanol. :)

1 minute ago, ncbirdfan said:

Well, not too many people know this, but...Hurricane Maria actually happened when Obama was the POTUS. ;)

Having read through this whole silly thread, and as someone who is anything but a defender of the Moron in Chief, let me say that it is very true that the situation in Puerto Rico, from a financial and infrastructure perspective, has been in a deteriorating situation for quite a few years. That is not a new revelation, but it happens to be a fact. For the last two to three years there has been going ongoing debate over the issue of a bailout, since the island was essentially in default. Given that situation, Puerto Rico was particularly unprepared to deal with a natural disaster of this magnitude. That should be obvious to most folks. 

The question of whether the relief efforts by the federal government has been sufficient (or even if it would possible to be suffcient, given the amount of devastation and the fact that all relief has to come by ship or by air) is a fair debate to have, regardless of who would be president. Trump's comments about the situation have been stupid, to be sure, but no more (or less) stupid than his comments about just about every other topic that he speaks to.

There is some degree of truth to the suggestion that previous administrations (going back as far as Bush and Clinton) perhaps should have done something to slow the downward spiral of the PR economy, and perhaps such actions would have helped make the island's infrastructure less vulnerable than it proved to be. But all of that is speculative. Between three bad hurricanes, multiple tornadoes, and hundreds of wildfires, it should be obvious that our federal resources in terms of disaster relief are being stretched mighty thin. While Trump bashing can certainly be a lot of fun, it seems to me that pinning any and all mis-steps in terms of disaster relief for any of those situations on him exclusively is a bit of a stretch.   

2 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

I didn't intend to say it was so great, steve,  just comparing it to our local cesspool. A lot warmer with palmtrees and Habla Espanol. :)

My brother in laws wife is from there. Its beautiful to her, but he says its a ****hole ......

2 minutes ago, Papi said:

Having read through this whole silly thread, and as someone who is anything but a defender of the Moron in Chief, let me say that it is very true that the situation in Puerto Rico, from a financial and infrastructure perspective, has been in a deteriorating situation for quite a few years. That is not a new revelation, but it happens to be a fact. For the last two to three years there has been going ongoing debate over the issue of a bailout, since the island was essentially in default. Given that situation, Puerto Rico was particularly unprepared to deal with a natural disaster of this magnitude. That should be obvious to most folks. 

The question of whether the relief efforts by the federal government has been sufficient (or even if it would possible to be suffcient, given the amount of devastation and the fact that all relief has to come by ship or by air) is a fair debate to have, regardless of who would be president. Trump's comments about the situation have been stupid, to be sure, but no more (or less) stupid than his comments about just about every other topic that he speaks to.

There is some degree of truth to the suggestion that previous administrations (going back as far as Bush and Clinton) perhaps should have done something to slow the downward spiral of the PR economy, and perhaps such actions would have helped make the island's infrastructure less vulnerable than it proved to be. But all of that is speculative. Between three bad hurricanes, multiple tornadoes, and hundreds of wildfires, it should be obvious that our federal resources in terms of disaster relief are being stretched mighty thin. While Trump bashing can certainly be a lot of fun, it seems to me that pinning any and all mis-steps in terms of disaster relief for any of those situations on him exclusively is a bit of a stretch.   

Exactly

5 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Same as here.

Well 'here'....we have a much larger middle class tax bracket to fleece. And 'here' they are much better at 'cooking the books' and kicking the can down the road. So we don't notice as much. Weellllllll sort of. :lol: