Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

Puerto Rico Was a Disaster BEFORE the Hurricane

195 posts in this topic

Just now, mrsmlh said:

We are being fed a mixed set of signals.  Some say that help isn't getting there, some say it's there but will take time.  I agree with you.  As I have said before, I think more people are upset that Trump is blaming the people of PR for their devastation and is saying that we can't help them forever when it has only been a few weeks.

I agree 100%. If the Moron in Chief would just keep his pie hole shut and let the relief folks do their job without him screwing up the works there would be far fewer "mixed signals". 

1 minute ago, Papi said:

I agree 100%. If the Moron in Chief would just keep his pie hole shut and let the relief folks do their job without him screwing up the works there would be far fewer "mixed signals". 

Yep and people wouldn't be arguing over what is being done or needs to be done.

3 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Cuba isn't a US territory 

3 hours ago, Papi said:

Cuba is a US territory? Since when? 

Indeed, apart from the Guantanamo bit and admittedly I could have worded it better, but I was referring to the action and reaction in that instance, I believe that they would be the same if Puerto Rico was heavily populated by Russians  ...

Edited by WKDWZD

1 hour ago, Papi said:

In a better world Trump would have jumped on this and showed some leadership. Actually I wish it were as simple as just blaming him.

Seems to me there has been some sort of systemic breakdown. Hope I'm wrong and conditions improve quickly.

2 hours ago, Papi said:

You know he can't do that if someone writes or their is a news report to stir the pot.

2 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Indeed, apart from the Guantanamo bit but, I'm referring to the action and reaction in that instance, I believe that they would be the same if Puerto Rico was heavily populated by Russians  ...

You lost everyone with saying Cuba was like PR.

18 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

You lost everyone with saying Cuba was like PR.

I didn't say Cuba was like PR (consider reading comprehension), I said that Russians on PR soil assisting them would create a reaction from the US, similar to the Cuban reaction. Not too difficult to understand. It would at least galvanise the US into action, so far, 3 weeks on the US effort has been pitiful.

If these stories about a mass exodus to Florida and other swing states come to be significant, Trump may be loading voters against him in 2020. There's a lot of misery, and it's hard to see how his rhetoric is going to be easily forgotten by these people. Here's yet another thing that should be a slam dunk for him, but he just finds ways to mess it up by being a jerk.

3 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

I didn't say Cuba was like PR (consider reading comprehension), I said that Russians on PR soil assisting them would create a reaction from the US, similar to the Cuban reaction. Not too difficult to understand. It would at least galvanise the US into action, so far, 3 weeks on the US effort has been pitiful.

So how are the British Virgin Islands going.??

I heard on a radio report they will be back to full power by next spring.

16 hours ago, ms maggie said:

In a better world Trump would have jumped on this and showed some leadership. Actually I wish it were as simple as just blaming him.

Seems to me there has been some sort of systemic breakdown. Hope I'm wrong and conditions improve quickly.

In my opinion the systemic breakdown is less with the relief efforts but more with the scope of the destruction. Even with Harvey and Irma relief workers were not starting from scratch to rebuild something that had been completely destroyed, which is the case in PR. From all reports the work in Florida and in Houston is/was focused on repair of infrastructure, while the work in PR is an effort at replacing it with something new and more durable. I think the scope of the work that is needed is underestimated by many, leading to unrealistic expectations of just how quickly it can be done. Couple that with the logistics of needing to bring new equipment and materials in from the mainland by sea or by air. 

Edited by Papi

There electric grid was a disaster before the storm .....

No way we should fix that .....

Government doesn't fox electric, gas and telecom here in the USA after storms .....

Provide humanitarian aid ......

22 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Government doesn't fox electric, gas and telecom here in the USA after storms .....

Government(s), federal, state, and local do indeed help fund the repair of things like electric, gas, and telecom after natural disasters. What is lacking in PR is the ability of the island's government to be much of a particpant, given the sorry economic mess that existed before Maria hit. 

9 hours ago, Papi said:

Government(s), federal, state, and local do indeed help fund the repair of things like electric, gas, and telecom after natural disasters. What is lacking in PR is the ability of the island's government to be much of a particpant, given the sorry economic mess that existed before Maria hit. 

No they don't .......

14 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

First of all Puerto Rico is the USA,

Secondly, Why not?  Why not make the place better than it was before?  Not a big ask fan of brown people?

7 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

First of all Puerto Rico is the USA,

Secondly, Why not?  Why not make the place better than it was before?  Not a big ask fan of brown people?

Yea, play the race card when you have no logical response ......

Typical demorepublican......

43 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

You play the ignorance card not even knowing that Puerto Rico is the USA.  Typical Leastside 

And thanks for the compliment 

Edited by Bawlmerian

29 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

You play the ignorance card not even knowing that Puerto Rico is the USA.  Typical Leastside 

And thanks for the compliment 

And equil treatment  isnt good enougn for you ......

you want them to get more from the us government than the people of Texas and florida......

The government did not pay for or rebuild their electric infrastructure ......

Yea, but everyone is a racist that doesn't agree with you ......

Now go whine to ta.....

46 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

And equil treatment  isnt good enougn for you ......

you want them to get more from the us government than the people of Texas and florida......

The government did not pay for or rebuild their electric infrastructure ......

Yea, but everyone is a racist that doesn't agree with you ......

Now go whine to ta.....

It is not a competition.  But it is accurate that Texas does not need it's electrical system rebuilt.  Puerto Rico does.  

Where did I say I want more or less for any state of territory?

You have a vivid imagination.  Get some help.

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

He must be on a really long timeout .......

23 hours ago, Papi said:

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/09/21/federal-disaster-aid-continues-rebuild-louisiana-communities

The funding is in addition to nearly $773 million in FEMA grants that have helped survivors repair homes, replace essential items and temporarily pay for somewhere to stay.

When disaster strikes, the first response is to ensure safety and then address property losses. FEMA’s Individual Assistance program helps eligible survivors with certain disaster-related expenses to help their recovery.

Another FEMA program, Public Assistance, benefits everyone. It reimburses disaster-related expenses to local and state government entities and certain private nonprofits in 26 parishes affected by the August 2016 flood.

Costs the PA program may reimburse include:

• Cleaning up communities
  • Repairing roads and bridges
  • Restoring water systems and utilities
  • Repairing or rebuilding infrastructure like schools, hospitals and emergency services
  • Enhancing damaged facilities to reduce or eliminate long-term risks from disasters