Tootsie

Bench Flacco?

207 posts in this topic

Is it time to bench Flacco and give Mallet a chance or someone else?

Edited by Tootsie

1 minute ago, Tootsie said:

LOL. Sure. Why not?

:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

LOL. Sure. Why not?

:rolleyes:

Oh I forgot you think he is Elite

1 minute ago, Tootsie said:

Oh I forgot you think he is Elite

Tell ya what. Find ANY post where I EVER said Joe was "elite", and we'll go from there. M'kay, Einstein?

No because Mallet is worse than Flacco imo. I mean maybe if you think that the move might light a fire in him to regain any bit of semblance of what he used to be - maybe- but if you're talking about pure player ability Flacco- bad as he is- is still better than Mallet.

14 minutes ago, poefolks said:

No because Mallet is worse than Flacco imo. I mean maybe if you think that the move might light a fire in him to regain any bit of semblance of what he used to be - maybe- but if you're talking about pure player ability Flacco- bad as he is- is still better than Mallet.

Mallett is a TOTAL disaster. The only reason you bring him in is if Joe is hurt or if you're going for a higher draft pick. And that doesn't even factor in the cap ramifications of what Joe is making, and the fact that the total failure of the offense is not on his shoulders alone.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

joe is better than mallett, case closed. the 2 int's today were off of the receivers' hands. when chris moore is your leading receiver in the game, you have problems. 

there is plenty of blame to go around today, from top to bottom. there is no excuse for not beating this team by at least two td's. 

Except for special teams the Ravens looked like they were back to sleepwalking today.

The play-calling was pretty mediocre today -- again.  How about letting Flacco call his own game  one time -- just to try something different for a change.

It's all Joe's fault for those INTs where the WRs allow the ball to bounce off their hands or their shoulder pads.  Joe's fault for Williams' fumble.

Although......override MM's stupid decision to throw over the middle with 12 seconds left and no timeouts.

Fuller was a beast on defense the entire game.  How many times did they try a pass to the left side.....one?  And please, no more middle of the field screens.

43 minutes ago, Tootsie said:

It's been time to bench Flacco! They just couldn't find a talented replacement who hadn't stood up against racial injustice here in America. Oh they tried,... brought in several no name journeymen. What it is time to do, is to pick up the phone and call Colin,... a quality, mobile accurate QB who can lead this team and inject some passion into our plays. We need a leader,... which is what Flacco ain't. A leader!

Edited by ericpd

3 minutes ago, retired said:

Except for special teams the Ravens looked like they were back to sleepwalking today.

The play-calling was pretty mediocre today -- again.  How about letting Flacco call his own game  one time -- just to try something different for a change.

I don’t think that Joe is interested enough to do it.  He really looks bored out there.  I know there are a lot of other problems with the Offense, but Joe needs to show some fire, as the supposed leader of the team.  Joe’s idea of a 2 minute Offense is to try to get a play in every 2 minutes. 

No.

Flacco didn't play a great game today, but he played about as well as he could behind a line that has more holes than a doily, with a mix of running backs who are inexperienced and mediocre, and a cadre of etile receivers. That spelling is not accidental. Both interceptions were really because of receivers. The supposedly upgraded defense apparently consists of Brandon Williams and a bunch of guys who can't stop the run. That side of the game was really painful to watch, especially after we brought in fresh talent. A lot of the same mistakes we saw last year. I put that on Pees. There were bright spots; Suggs showed up, for example.

Flacco is several spots down on the list. In addition (and this may be confirmation bias), it looked like he was walking stiffly. I think his injury was much worse than was generally revealed. Someone I spoke with tells me you get back injuries from lifting when you don't do it for awhile and then jump back in too fast. If that's how he got hurt I am disappointed; at his salary he is never off. When not practicing or in-season he has basically one job, and that's to stay in shape and keep his skills sharp. I've also heard speculation that the fire is gone from him; that he's not hungry any longer. I don't see how people could know this, but if that's really the case they need to start thinking about his successor and let him walk when his contract ends.

But the big thing that bothers me in the Harbaugh era, especially the last few years: consistency. As in, they don't have it. You never know if you're going to get good football or bad football when you sit down in front of the television. I think they also need to take hard look at their evaluation process as regards identifying injury prone players (like Max Williams) so they can avoid these. A top tier talent is worthless if he sits out whole seasons because his body simply can't handle the stress of football at the professional level.

Edited by Evil Yoda

8 minutes ago, ericpd said:

It's been time to bench Flacco! They just couldn't find a talented replacement who hadn't stood up against racial injustice here in America. Oh they tried,... brought in several no name journeymen. What it is time to do, is to pick up the phone and call Colin. 

Colin's suing the owners for collusion. The league may soon pay him to go away.

15 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

No.

Flacco didn't play a great game today, but he played about as well as he could behind a line that has more holes than a doily, with a mix of running backs who are inexperienced and mediocre, and a cadre of etile receivers. That spelling is not accidental. Both interceptions were really because of receivers. The supposedly upgraded defense apparently consists of Brandon Williams and a bunch of guys who can't stop the run. That side of the game was really painful to watch, especially after we brought in fresh talent. A lot of the same mistakes we saw last year. I put that on Pees. There were bright spots; Suggs showed up, for example.

Flacco is several spots down on the list. In addition (and this may be confirmation bias), it looked like he was walking stiffly. I think his injury was much worse than was generally revealed. Someone I spoke with tells me you get back injuries from lifting when you don't do it for awhile and then jump back in too fast. If that's how he got hurt I am disappointed; at his salary he is never off. When not practicing or in-season he has basically one job, and that's to stay in shape and keep his skills sharp. I've also heard speculation that the fire is gone from him; that he's not hungry any longer. I don't see how people could know this, but if that's really the case they need to start thinking about his successor and let him walk when his contract ends.

But the big thing that bothers me in the Harbaugh era, especially the last few years: consistency. As in, they don't have it. You never know if you're going to get good football or bad football when you sit down in front of the television. I think they also need to take hard look at their evaluation process as regards identifying injury prone players (like Max Williams) so they can avoid these. A top tier talent is worthless if he sits out whole seasons because his body simply can't handle the stress of football at the professional level.

I think that's a fair assessment E.Y.

Let's review. 2d string LG, 3d string RG, surprisingly decent center and WRs who cannot get separation or make catches consistently. Yep, racism and/or Flacco is/are to blame. 

1 minute ago, Struds said:

Let's review. 2d string LG, 3d string RG, surprisingly decent center and WRs who cannot get separation or make catches consistently. Yep, racism and/or Flacco is/are to blame. 

And don't forget THE REFS!!! The NERVE of them to call a penalty for grabbing the QB below his knees!!! The NERVE, I say.

;)

Missing B Williams in the middle, Perrinan's "here, you take it" miscue, Campanaro's drop and Weddle trying for a strip all were larger contributors to this loss than the QB. And, believe me, I am not a Flacco apologist. He has cost us repeatedly, but today? Not much.

14 minutes ago, Struds said:

Missing B Williams in the middle, Perrinan's "here, you take it" miscue, Campanaro's drop and Weddle trying for a strip all were larger contributors to this loss than the QB. And, believe me, I am not a Flacco apologist. He has cost us repeatedly, but today? Not much.

You forgot the fumble by Williams after he'd gained the first down. And the pass that Watson seemed to get his hands on in the end zone that ended up being an incomplete.

I don't think benching Flacco is going to help him or the team. He is going to play if he is healthy. Mallet is not going to turn things around. That said, Joe's performance was sub oar to say the least. He was inaccurate particularly when he was flushed from the pocket. The running game was fine, but he did not have a good game. I put a lot of the blame on Flacco for the pick six, he forced that throw and the defender deflected the pass. 

4 minutes ago, russsnyder said:

I don't think benching Flacco is going to help him or the team. He is going to play if he is healthy. Mallet is not going to turn things around. That said, Joe's performance was sub oar to say the least. He was inaccurate particularly when he was flushed from the pocket. The running game was fine, but he did not have a good game. I put a lot of the blame on Flacco for the pick six, he forced that throw and the defender deflected the pass. 

That one pass was forced, and not a great decision. All of the Oles that followed didn't help. What other plays did he mess up?

The lack of urgency, poor time management and poor use of time outs is something that just doesn't change in the flacco harbaugh era ......

Bit them in the butt again today .....

8 minutes ago, Struds said:

That one pass was forced, and not a great decision. All of the Oles that followed didn't help. What other plays did he mess up?

And how many other NFL QBs "force" balls in and have their receivers fight for possession? And with zero separation, what other option was there, other than to throw the ball away? At what point do you have to, you know, trust your receiver to do HIS job and fight for and catch the ball? It wasn't a stupid rookie throw where the defender was in front of the receiver. The defender was behind the receiver, and wrapped his arm around and popped the ball up.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

No.

The supposedly upgraded defense apparently consists of Brandon Williams and a bunch of guys who can't stop the run. That side of the game was really painful to watch, especially after we brought in fresh talent. A lot of the same mistakes we saw last year. I put that on Pees. There were bright spots; Suggs showed up, for example.

Respectfully Disagree here. The Defense kept this team in the game. The Defense forced 2 Turnovers and held a team to 20 points, even after getting put in bad position constantly. They gave up big runs but you can't expect them to be perfect and sign/ seal/ deliver the win. They played a good game overall- given how bad the offense was.

I

3 minutes ago, poefolks said:

Respectfully Disagree here. The Defense kept this team in the game. The Defense forced 2 Turnovers and held a team to 20 points, even after getting put in bad position constantly. They gave up big runs but you can't expect them to be perfect and sign/ seal/ deliver the win. They played a good game overall- given how bad the offense was.

I agree. Except for a very few gkaring errors, the D was very good. It's interesting that Yoda mentioned B Williams. With him in today's game instead of (who the hell is) Wormley, I believe they would have been outstanding.

10 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And how many other NFL QBs "force" balls in and have their receivers fight for possession? And with zero separation, what other option was there, other than to throw the ball away? At what point do you have to, you know, trust your receiver to do HIS job and fight for and catch the ball? It wasn't a stupid rookie throw where the defender was in front of the receiver. The defender was behind the receiver, and wrapped his arm around and popped the ball up.

How could have Chris Moore fought for that ball? Like you said, the defender stuck his hand in from behind? Further, the defender was not 5' 6". Flacco took a risk and got burned.