soulflower

Mississippi school district bans 'To Kill a Mockingbird‘

61 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, kandace said:

So, were the folks in Russia wring to remove their statues of Marx and Lenin?  

Should the airaquis have allowed the numerous statues of Saadsm Hussein to remain untoppled?

Strange how we don't need statues to learn about those folks.

5 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Interesting how they come up with a narrative to justify their racism eh

Where is the racism in my thoughts on this matter? I've done nothing but encourage education here.

Using an old statue for educational purposes is the same as using a book, a play, a movie, a song, or an oral history.

It's the uneducated that remove books from libraries and tear down statues because it makes them uncomfortable.

It's also the racist who first cries "racism", when there is none.

2 minutes ago, Apexbud said:

Where is the racism in my thoughts on this matter? I've done nothing but encourage education here.

Using an old statue for educational purposes is the same as using a book, a play, a movie, a song, or an oral history.

It's the uneducated that remove books from libraries and tear down statues because it makes them uncomfortable.

It's also the racist who first cries "racism", when there is none.

That's all that poster is here for ......

45 minutes ago, kandace said:

Should the airaquis have allowed the numerous statues of Saadsm Hussein to remain untoppled?

Not all Lenin & Marx statues are gone. Now Stalin is on par with Hussein killing his own people.

43 minutes ago, kandace said:

Different times, different situations, different countries. 

What they do is their business. 

(Airaquis sounds like a new shoe brand!)

Leonard Pitts Gets it right... imo

If ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ makes you squirm, good!  http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article179415026.html

It “makes some people uncomfortable.”  That was the explanation Kenny Holloway, a school board official in Biloxi, Mississippi, gave the Sun Herald newspaper last week, for the board’s decision to remove from its eighth-grade curriculum a Pulitzer Prize-winning American classic, Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird.”  “There is some language in the book that makes people uncomfortable,” said Holloway. He said this like it was a bad thing.

"In a nation where some educational institutions now deem it their duty to offer “safe spaces” and “trigger warnings” to protect their students from vexatious language or behavior like cartons protect eggs and bubble wrap protects china, maybe it is. So I beg your pardon for the heresy that follows."

Another example of spineless, ball-less school administrators living down to my existing opinion of them.

When faced with the "uncomfortable" censor it seems to be their kneejerk reaction time after time.

I’ve never understood the logic behind banning/burning/tearing up a book; it’s not like that action is going to get to the last copy of the publishing.  Such an action is even more ludicrous today.

Banning books, movies, art, etc. never made too much sense to me because it seemed to me that when something got banned, more people wanted to see/read it.  I can remember back in the early '60's, my uncle was livid when my cousin had to read this book in school. He objected to a white lawyer representing a black guy accused of raping a white woman.  None of my cousins and my sisters cared about reading the book until my uncle made a big to do over it.

3 hours ago, workerbee said:

Leonard Pitts Gets it right... imo

If ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ makes you squirm, good!  http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article179415026.html

It “makes some people uncomfortable.”  That was the explanation Kenny Holloway, a school board official in Biloxi, Mississippi, gave the Sun Herald newspaper last week, for the board’s decision to remove from its eighth-grade curriculum a Pulitzer Prize-winning American classic, Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird.”  “There is some language in the book that makes people uncomfortable,” said Holloway. He said this like it was a bad thing.

"In a nation where some educational institutions now deem it their duty to offer “safe spaces” and “trigger warnings” to protect their students from vexatious language or behavior like cartons protect eggs and bubble wrap protects china, maybe it is. So I beg your pardon for the heresy that follows."

Often, I think, that a lot of it has to do with not so much the book content but of the ability of the teacher to handle it properly.

47 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Often, I think, that a lot of it has to do with not so much the book content but of the ability of the teacher to handle it properly.

If that is not taught to future educators in todays world... it should be.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:47 AM, soulflower said:

WaPo:

The public school district in Biloxi, Miss., did not specify which words, exactly, in “To Kill a Mockingbird” are so objectionable that the book was yanked from an eighth-grade reading list last week, 57 years after it published.

“There is some language in the book that makes people uncomfortable,” school board vice president Kenny Holloway vaguely told the Sun Herald.

Some language. Maybe it’s the same language that concerned a Waukegan, Ill., school system in 1984; or a middle school principal in North Carolina in 2004; or Virginia’s tiny Accomack County School District when it cleansed its libraries of “Mockingbird” last year.

That is: the n-word, which this newspaper also censors — and which Harper Lee pointedly did not when she wrote her Pulitzer Prize-winning novel about racism in the United States.

“We can teach the same lesson with other books,” Holloway explained to the Herald last week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/10/15/the-ironic-enduring-legacy-of-banning-to-kill-a-mockingbird-for-racist-language/?utm_term=.301173af063b

Still no awareness of how the Confederate flag offends some people

It is weird, but making people "uncomfortable" is celebrated by artists and protestors because when you get uncomfortable it makes you want to have a "conversation."  But when it is inconvenient, we ban things that make some people "uncomfortable."

Edited by hst2

2 hours ago, workerbee said:

If that is not taught to future educators in todays world... it should be.

It's often about white teachers understanding race, and developing a certain awareness of and building trust with students of color. 

What is to understand about about race?

36 minutes ago, workerbee said:

What is to understand about about race?

Well, that it is wholly contrived idea intended to support white supremacy and maintain others, particularly Blacks, as second class citizens, leaving a legacy that still effects us in the political, economic and social arenas.

37 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Well, that it is wholly contrived idea intended to support white supremacy and maintain others, particularly Blacks, as second class citizens, leaving a legacy that still effects us in the political, economic and social arenas.

Which is a lie.  Animals of all kinds seek to dominate animals from other packs or who vary slightly from themselves.  I'm not so sure the Neanderthal was driven into extinction to support white supremacy.  Various African and Indian tribes enslaved each other and fought for domination and it wasn't because somebody invented an idea to promote white supremacy.

The paper cited in this forum you use to justify your white mythology openly acknowledges the reality of the concept of race.  They merely pointed out that it is not simply a matter of skin color (and only a moron would think that) which is pretty obvious when you compare a Norwegian and a Japanese person.  Race is real, and has been recognized longer than man has walked upright.  Denying it is willful ignorance.  

Edited by jdsample

8 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Which is a lie.  Animals of all kinds seek to dominate animals from other packs or who vary slightly from themselves.  I'm not so sure the Neanderthal was driven into extinction to support white supremacy.  Various African and Indian tribes enslaved each other and fought for domination and it wasn't because somebody invented an idea to promote white supremacy.

The paper cited in this forum you use to justify your white mythology openly acknowledges the reality of the concept of race.  They merely pointed out that it is not simply a matter of skin color (and only a moron would think that) which is pretty obvious when you compare a Norwegian and a Japanese person.  Race is real, and has been recognized longer than man has walked upright.  Denying it is willful ignorance.  

Are you arguing for white supremacy? Your comparing us to animals dominating other animals leads me to believe you think it's natural.

10 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Are you arguing for white supremacy? Your comparing us to animals dominating other animals leads me to believe you think it's natural.

Obviously not.  Nice dodge when your argument is gutted.  You seem to have deliberately (or stupidly) missed the point that white people were not the first to notice differences in people and they certainly did not invent them.  

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

And once a teacher, of any color understands this... as you do, what is the interaction with students of any color.  Lets start with blacks.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, kandace said:

Yes and yes 

10 hours ago, workerbee said:

And once a teacher, of any color understands this... as you do, what is the interaction with students of any color.  Lets start with blacks.

It's remarkable.

10 hours ago, jdsample said:

Obviously not.  Nice dodge when your argument is gutted.  You seem to have deliberately (or stupidly) missed the point that white people were not the first to notice differences in people and they certainly did not invent them.  

So whites dominate Blacks in this country for centuries, and you claim it is natural for one group to dominate another, even dogs do it. How is this not an endorsement of white supremacy?

One might note that dogs do not dominate other dogs due to the color of their fur.

BTW - the earliest distinctoon drawn between Africans and Europeans here was based on religion, not color. Color came  later. Too many African slaves were converting to Christianity, thereby getting out of slavery.

Edited by hst2

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

It's remarkable.

In what way?